Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I agree with you, my point was not meant to diminish yours. Just in case that wasn't clear.

EDIT: there was a time I used that word literally as a "quote" from a character in an in-joke bit of fan content in a Let's Play thread in like 2009 (and the joke was that this character would be the kinda meathead ignoramus that would throw the word around, so even the in-joke was making fun of, well, people like Rhea tbh) and several years ago I flat out deleted the file from Dropbox because I was like "this is gross and doesn't hold up and it wasn't really funny to begin with anyway."

But some people just don't wanna let go of R-words and F-words, man.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

She broke HHH’s rule when it comes to saying things

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I agree with you, my point was not meant to diminish yours. Just in case that wasn't clear.

I wasn't 100% sure but truthfully I was kind of wanting to elaborate and say my piece anyway. So my bad if I misdirected that at you.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

STAC Goat posted:

While it might be a small step (and I don't think its really that at all when its just an expected, minimum apology we've seen a million times) I think it exposes a very fundamental lack of understanding. The way you show people its a real apology and not just the thing you know you're supposed to say is by saying something fuller or more personally damning.

A "no no word" is when your grandmother gets mad that you said "God drat it" or when your sister gets mad because you said "rear end in a top hat" in front of your nephew and now he won't stop saying it. She used a bigotted slur that is used to demean, harass, and hurt people throughout the world. She knows that. She's not ignorant to the fact that its used that way and its what it means. Even the "non gay" way she'd most likely claim she used it is just insulting someone by telling them they're like a gay person. Words have meaning and that word's meaning is unacceptable and any appropriate apology for using it should include both an acknowledgement of what that word really is and a confession that it being in your vocabulary is a character flaw.

And I say this from a first person perspective. That's not a word I ever used in my life, but there have been others I did and it was a personal flaw that I did so. It wasn't just my brain forgetting to filter out naughty words in mixed company.

But most people who use slurs and bigoted language and terms don't say that because that would be acknowledging something more than an innocent mistake. And THAT's how people change. But admitting they have to. All Ripley did was admit she should have a better filter.

Yeah a second reading actually makes it worse, a no no word to some people. Some people. A minority. Everyone else is fine with it though.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Her replies are so depressing

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

Her replies are so depressing

A lot of people the world over are really REALLY upset that you can't mock, denigrate, and dehumanize queer people in public anymore.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I mean I take issue with people in the disability community who hitch their entire wagon to person first language but that's more a function of "we got bigger fish to fry, kindly use at least some of the energy you're using to try to make the R-word literally illegal on some other stuff, thanks", but that doesn't mean it's not a slur that doesn't deserve to be called out when used and AFAIK it doesn't have the historical weight of an F or certainly not an N, either.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

A lot of people the world over are really REALLY upset that you can't mock, denigrate, and dehumanize queer people in public anymore.

The funny thing is, I'm even willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she doesn't mean to insult gay people. That to her that word really is just a harmless platonic insult. But its not and she knows why its not to others. And for a lot of people its not the bigotry they're resisting, its the personal fragility of admitting that you said or did or believe something bigoted. Because that would make you imperfect. And for some people the hardest thing in the world is simply to admit they need work when the simple truth is no one on this planet doesn't and if you think you do then you're saying you're perfect.

And ultimately that means that her personal sense of self importance is more important than the fact that word mocks, denigrates, and dehumanizes people. Which, you know. Is a difference without a distinction.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i won't rest until there's a word for every letter of the alphabet

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

The funny thing is, I'm even willing to give her the benefit of the doubt that she doesn't mean to insult gay people. That to her that word really is just a harmless platonic insult. But its not and she knows why its not to others. And for a lot of people its not the bigotry they're resisting, its the personal fragility of admitting that you said or did or believe something bigoted. Because that would make you imperfect. And for some people the hardest thing in the world is simply to admit they need work when the simple truth is no one on this planet doesn't and if you think you do then you're saying you're perfect.

And ultimately that means that her personal sense of self importance is more important than the fact that word mocks, denigrates, and dehumanizes people. Which, you know. Is a difference without a distinction.

Yeah it's pretty clear that she doesn't give much of a gently caress. She's not sorry she said it, she's sorry she can't unsay it only after she got publically dragged. If she was sorry she said it she would have apologized right after saying it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yeah man. You should read in the wwe thread where i admitted my faults, liking Rhea Rippy and not liking Ronda Rousey, and how i know it was wrong now because something happened. it's the hardest thing in the world to do and i easily did it.

Standard Measure
Sep 5, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

The way you show people its a real apology and not just the thing you know you're supposed to say is by saying something more personally damning.

Nope

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Remember when Punk used a slur and everyone defended him?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I don’t remember, what did he do

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I watched the video..that's not PG!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tomahawk posted:

I don’t remember, what did he do

It was in Australia, and he called a couples of fans the h-word (a derogatory term for gay people)

Everyone jumped to his defense because

a) he was a heel at the time
b) "Punk's a huge supporter of LGBTQ rights!"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Using "I said a no no word" in an apology as an adult. smh

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
I wish they would just get rid of Brennan and Monsoor

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm pretty sure Punk also told that fan "You have a VAGINA" in addition to calling them a homo, so you can add misogyny to the homophobia. Not that it's inherently insulting to be told you have a vagina, but he clearly meant it as an insult and not an expression of fact or surprise. He thinks it is bad to have a vagina, and bad to be a homosexual.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I wish they would just get rid of Brennan and Monsoor

Hm while I tend to agree with this, they might be useful for exposing people like Rhea... is there any way they can be kept around but not paid?

dromal phrenia fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 25, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He also told someone to kill themselves.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Davros1 posted:

It was in Australia, and he called a couples of fans the h-word (a derogatory term for gay people)

Everyone jumped to his defense because

a) he was a heel at the time
b) "Punk's a huge supporter of LGBTQ rights!"

I was actually at that house show. The other thing I remember the most from it was that the 2 most over guys on the show were John Cena & Alex Riley.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Davros1 posted:

He also told someone to kill themselves.

It's ok, back then we didn't know it was bad to kill yourself.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Davros1 posted:

Remember when Punk used a slur and everyone defended him?

Didn't he give a full apology:
CM apologized via Twitter, saying, "...I'm embarrassed. I own up to being a total douche in this situation and I offer a sincere apology to anybody I hurt with careless words.

"C.M. Punk had a busy day on Twitter. "Making same sex marriage illegal is the same as having segregated drinking fountains," Punk wrote. "Embarrassing. The human race is embarrassing." When a homophobic follower told him that "homos make me sick," Punk responded by writing, "Kill yourself."

After Raw, Punk apologized for the "kill yourself" line. "I was pretty worked up today," Punk wrote. "The amendment 1 situation had me all wound up. I stand by my thoughts on gay marriage 100%. How I defended that stance was 100% wrong. I admit it. You can't stoop to others levels. Sometimes I fight fire with fire and it isn't ways the best way."

Punk apologized to the homophobic follower and then wrote: "I don't want you to kill yourself. I want you to better yourself. Just as I want to better myself. I'll start by being the better man and once again, apologize for my harsh reaction to your opinion of homosexuals making you 'sick.'

"Sorry y'all. If I let anybody down, I apologize. I'll make it up to ya and move forward with a better understanding of others feelings." Follow Punk on Twitter at Twitter.com/CMPunk.

It was a bit separate from Rhea saying it was a no no word.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Von Linus posted:

It was a bit separate from Rhea saying it was a no no word.
Those are two separate events. Punk calling someone a homo and saying "you have a vagina!" as an insult was in 2011 at a house show, the one you mentioned was 2012 on twitter.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
famously well-adjusted human cm punk

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That's the apology of someone that says human being a lot but accidentally said it in the wrong group lol

Sorry you were offended is always a strong choice

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I saw Rovert point out on Twitter the women wrestler aspect of it and hadn't even considered that:

It's hard enough being a woman in wrestling. You even see it in WWE currently, wreddit and the other usual suspects couldn't Wait to jump down Sasha's throat when she stayed home over her treatment, and it certainly wasn't the first time they harassed her and told her she needed to "learn her place" and "have respect". And when it wasn't that, it was her getting made fun of getting concussions. The Bellas got mocked and harassed more on social media for botches than Ryback, Jinder, and numerous other male wrestlers who not only did botches as frequently, but also had fuckups that outright resulted in injuries. You have a whole lot of men uncomfortably eager to see you fail in ways they simply don't do with talent who are men. You get very little support

The LGBTQ+ community is one of the last groups that will turn on you if you don't give us reason to. Why give us reason to? It is so easy to not say slurs. And she did it on a Twitch stream for what, apparently a $15 donation? For laughs from two known shitheads like Brennan and Mansoor? Was that really worth burning reputation with us? Because it sure as poo poo isn't like we gonna forget it. Styles has spent almost a whole decade trying to escape that time he said "the gay community?!" after that previous other decade he spent where the only curse he felt comfortable using at all, let alone frequently, was that same slur

You need all the help and support you can get trying to survive in modern wrestling with your head up high. Making things worse for yourself like this on a public platform is bafflingly idiotic

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Sorry you were offended is always a strong choice

And yeah, that's another thing. "some words are a big no no to a lot of people" is at best a pretty poo poo apology that has the inescapable implication of blaming people for taking offense more than acknowledging the negative connotations/impact/history of that word, and no matter what it's pretty telling that your first thought is to go the route of "I'm sorry about Your Reaction"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Some words are a big no-no with some people but with my group we say human being constantly so it's no big deal is pretty much what she might as well have said there

If you're going to torpedo your career you might as well be honest while you're doing it I guess

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it reads too easily as "Sorry, I forgot that was a big no no to big sensitive babies". Its such a weak apology.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

amazing that someone who thinks saying something like that in public is fine and good is also not willing to apologize for it convincingly

shocking, amazing

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

mactheknife posted:

amazing that someone who thinks saying something like that in public is also not willing to apologize for it convincingly

shocking, amazing

Yeah that's what we're saying too but without the above it all edge you've got there, friend

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah that's what we're saying too but without the above it all edge you've got there, friend

I'm not trying to be above poo poo, I'm just not surprised? It's how this pretty much always goes.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

mactheknife posted:

I'm not trying to be above poo poo, I'm just not surprised? It's how this pretty much always goes.

Fair enough, my bad

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Mr. Carlisle posted:

If you're going to torpedo your career you might as well be honest while you're doing it I guess
Maybe you know something I don't, but I'm not convinced this will torpedo her career.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

Worst case she gets canned from NXT and sells a bunch of poo poo on PWT leaning into her newfound edgelord persona

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

dromal phrenia posted:

Maybe you know something I don't, but I'm not convinced this will torpedo her career.

If she's casually walking around calling people poo poo like that it's only a matter of time

How many 'future stars' have we seen destroy their career before it got started just by using social media lol

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I agree with Punk that homophobes should kill themselves

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

maybe if WWE didn't treat its wrestlers like exotic adopted children, they wouldn't have this repeated problem.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

What exactly is the point of continuously employing those streaming chuds, anyway? I feel like they're deep enough in the bowels of NXT that I only hear about them for being shitlords - granted, I don't really watch much WWE product, but I'm at least familiar with most of the NXT talent by name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

mactheknife posted:

What exactly is the point of continuously employing those streaming chuds, anyway? I feel like they're deep enough in the bowels of NXT that I only hear about them for being shitlords - granted, I don't really watch much WWE product, but I'm at least familiar with most of the NXT talent by name.

It wouldn't matter if you did watch NXT because they're literally never on it. I feel like they're just buying time before Vince has a stroll through the PC one day and goes "holy gently caress you're still here? get out."