Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

R. Guyovich posted:

scott missed his daughter growing up. similar experiences happened to billions.

spider man far from home: whoa that sucked huh? so who's up for a fun europe trip?????

half his school-year will be 5 years older than the other half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

awesmoe posted:

half his school-year will be 5 years older than the other half

it will be acknowledged at the beginning with a joke and then everything will continue as if nothing happened

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Also can somebody compare the Battle on Titan from Infinity War vs both Thanos fights from this movie? Are the fight scenes worth it at least?

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Yeah if they were truly interested in exploring the results of the snap I think they would have put endgame at the end of the next phase. Give us a few solo movies in the hosed up world before we get people back. But these movies have never been interested in the perspective of anyone that's not a superhero and to be fair after you've decided that you want to make a movie with like 20 superheroes you don't even have enough time to get deep on them, let alone some rando civilians. There'll be a token scene acknowledging it and then it'll be moved past and healed.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Shneak posted:

Also can somebody compare the Battle on Titan from Infinity War vs both Thanos fights from this movie? Are the fight scenes worth it at least?

I though they were good in EG, thanos just has a big sword and wails on people. Less of the magical stuff that you get in IW because he's fighting without the stones so he just has brute strength and angriness.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Snowman_McK posted:

I read the full synopsis...what the gently caress? Just battling through to Thanos and then undoing everything would have been A) a better movie and B) less hopelessly loving needlessly complicated. It's going to be great seeing the same people who thought BvS had too much going on defending this clusterfuck.

It feels like they had a couple ideas they refused to drop and had to add a bunch of stuff to make it work, to the detriment of the movie as a whole. The 5 year time skip in particular was a big mistake. Banner merging his mind with the Hulk is a really big character moment but we're told about it years after he did it while he's signing autographs for kids apparently. And because of the rules they wrote for themselves about time travel, there's no way they could ever actually have a "clean" reversal of the snap- they can't (by which I mean won't, because they wrote the rules to say they can't) erase the 5 years of chaos that followed Infinity War, so earth and most other planets are all hosed up. And as Guyovich and cohsae said, at most the ramifications of Infinty War and Endgame will get a one-line reference before they are never brought up again.

Then again the people that have seen it say it's enjoyable, maybe it sounds worse typed out than it does in motion. I'm just not in much of a rush to see it now.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DC Murderverse posted:

there are entire cable channels devoted to playing and replaying nothing but CSI, Law and Order, and various other procedurals

so your dumb insult doesn't even make sense

It doesn’t make sense because CSI has decent production values

Maybe I’m thinking of bones. One of them mothefuckers has some excellent corpse sculptors

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Shneak posted:

thanos doesn't have the stones in either fight. the first one lasts all of 10 seconds because he's weak from destroying the stones and has retired to a life of farming african horned melon (not a joke). thor then cuts his drat head off

second fight is full armor thanos with a double blade against thor, rogers and stark then just rogers. it's ok. the bit that's just thanos v. cap is pretty good. after that it's big masses of cgi flying at each other and it stops being even a little bit good.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
anyway the movie was fairly fun. yup. it wasn't a letdown. most of the jokes were funny, there were some Cool Badass Punching Moments, some character arcs were finished nicely, poochie wasn't too annoying, it's finally over
otoh they could have edited out 45 minutes easily (but I can see why they chose not to), they NEVER STOP QUIPPING, hawkeye's new look was hilarious, it wasn't interesting or thought-provoking in any way.

tldr: you know exactly what you're in for and it's good at what it does.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i have to go now. hundreds of thousands of planets need me.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Why did they give Thenos a double sword. Does he even have that in the comics? why didn’t they take a little more off the back of Hawkeye’s head? This one is regarding Black Panther, which I slept through earlier this afternoon: Wgy does Klaw call the Wakandans savages when he’s the only living non-Wakandan at that time that knows they’re not? All of these movies suck so much loving rear end.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Wrackin my drat brain trying to figure out why a white South African would call Wakandans savages

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

More on BP: Why does Klaws arm blaster completely annihilate the bullet proof vibranium car (making Klaw appear to be threatening to the heroes) and then 60 seconds later do nothing to Tchallas vibranium suit (making Klaw look totally unthreatening). I thought this guy was supposed to have a powerful blaster arm.

And yet, Vlack Panther > Gusrdjans of the Galaxy 2 which is one of the worst productss I have ever failed to enjoy.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gatts posted:

Wait...your avatar...Mr. Flunchy? So you actually liked it? That'd give hope it's actually decent.

EDIT: Sorry if I mistook you for someone else.

Nope, that's me! Have the caveat that I enjoyed it partially because I was in a cheap cinema in Naples, watching the Italian dub, and the crowd were very enthusiastic and excited. They made noise like we were watching a football game in the final sequences.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 25, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know what I just realized?

This is why they've been so weird about people spoiling Endgame. Because they know that the more people find out it's a big wet fart in advance, the more of a big wet fart its opening will be, and that thought terrifies the poo poo out of Feige.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This is why they've been so weird about people spoiling Endgame. Because they know that the more people find out it's a big wet fart in advance, the more of a big wet fart its opening will be, and that thought terrifies the poo poo out of Feige.

This film is going to be enormous. Like, monstrous box office potential. The only thing holding it back is that its run time means cinemas can only show it so many times a day.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

awesmoe posted:

the best/worst bit was hawkeye's hair wait no it was his tattoo

I need that hairstyle hawkeye not thor

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't think the conspiracy angle is warranted

Necrothatcher posted:

This film is going to be enormous. Like, monstrous box office potential. The only thing holding it back is that its run time means cinemas can only show it so many times a day.

If this isn't the biggest opening week in cinema history I will be very surprised. 50 showings on the first day in little old Christchurch NZ, most almost entirely sold out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Do we have confirmation on when Far From Home is set?

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I believe it just broke the first day record here in Australia

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

echinopsis posted:

I don't think the conspiracy angle is warranted

I mean it's not a conspiracy if it's blindingly obvious

This movie's gonna shatter opening records no matter what, but that just means if its WOM is poo poo from people spoiling it and the spoilers sounding like some straight horseshit, it'll probably also shatter 2nd-weekend-drop records

which is not good for Disney (but, consequently, good for everyone else)

e: point I'm trying to make here is, I was sort of confused why they've been so spooked about spoilers... but then actually reading the spoilers makes it make perfect sense because they're probably on some level aware that it's not gonna go over great

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

This movie's gonna shatter opening records no matter what, but that just means if its WOM is poo poo from people spoiling it and the spoilers sounding like some straight horseshit, it'll probably also shatter 2nd-weekend-drop records

e: point I'm trying to make here is, I was sort of confused why they've been so spooked about spoilers... but then actually reading the spoilers makes it make perfect sense because they're probably on some level aware that it's not gonna go over great

my extremely unscientific poll of the people i saw it with says reactions will range from "that was loving awesome" to "it was great but i'm done with marvel. satisfying conclusion"

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

and it does unfold better than the spoilers make it sound but it's still very boring for the most part. it's not gonna piss off the fans, they've been lapping up poo poo since iron man 2

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Reading a list of plot events is not a good way to evaluate a movie's quality.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
There’s no way in hell that Endgame is gonna get a fan reception as negative as Ghostbusters or even The Last Jedi. The most hardcore of MCU fans are still gonna show up to multiple screenings of this. There’s simply too much momentum on this train for it to stop now.

If you wanna talk about how well phase 4 does, fine, but I’d still bet money it continues to be a smash. It’d take multiple movies that the fans disapprove of to slow down the MCU at this point, and if they’re willing to eat up Age of Ultron... I don’t even know what kind of movie you’d have to make to pull that off.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Also, the film is made to -- to borrow that phrase -- subvert expectations but in the good, safe way so the people who are insanely invested will eat it up. Things like... they kill Thano in the first ten minutes and Thor goes for the head, wow! Useless Hawkeye isn't the one to sacrifice himself, but Black Widow! He finally said Avengers Assemble!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Idk everyone in the real world who's seen it seems to have loved it.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I'm surprised that they would be so intense about spoilers because really there was nothing at the end of this that wasn't expected. It was tame as hell.
EVERYONE new this was iron man's last go around, and that BP, Spidey etc would come back. The only other person who died hasn't even had a solo movie. I was expecting some red wedding poo poo, at least a couple of biggish characters getting ended by Thanos, or maybe something going wrong and not everyone making it back.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

echinopsis posted:

Glad I saw it on opening night, just to hear the collective groan when it became clear there wasn’t an after credits scene. And by gently caress were those some long credits lmao

I saw what was the cinema's third showing (1 PM) and they had a sign taped to the IMAX room's doors "this is an "ENDgame" but there are no special endings this time." I guess they probably printed that out after the midnight premiere.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wonder if I'd have enjoyed it less if the cinema I saw it in didn't have an interval so everyone could piss, smoke and stretch their legs.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Necrothatcher posted:

I wonder if I'd have enjoyed it less if the cinema I saw it in didn't have an interval so everyone could piss, smoke and stretch their legs.

i had to duck out for about 40 seconds during the 1970s trip but i doubt i missed much

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Movie was great. Lots of fun, good emotional beats, and a great send off for a few of the characters. It doesn't dwell too much on trying to setup future stuff beyond a few changes but there's no hint of a new direction or over arching plot.

The movie contains significant call backs to pretty much all 21 or however other movies.

To put it bluntly this is "fan service : the movie." And it's amazing. Not winning any awards and I can think of some films in the MCU I liked more but this was a three hour goodbye to some characters and a celebration of how big a universe they built.

It sounds like a lot of people in this grumbled through watching the other films in the series and then felt let down because this wasn't the film that finally made them fans and was instead a movie where the film thanked you for being a fan and gave you more of everything they'd given you before.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I really kinda dug most of it. Biggest downside: I think the end battle was a mess, which is a given because they have 30 characters to give little moments to, so they have to have a mass of generic CGI monsters to defeat. I think the whole battle of armies things was stupid and it was stupid when they did it in Infinity War too. Just give us heroes and villains, I don't need hundreds of people filling the screen with random poo poo while it's happening.

I really did like a lot of the character moments though. The first 2/3 of the movie have lots of little wonderful bits, even though two of the three timelines they initially visit take place during two of my least favorite MCU movies. Thor's crisis was interesting and a nice extension of the last couple movies, RDJ had the most to do in the movie and he used every second he had to really wring every last bit of emotion out of Tony Stark. I was less impressed by Hulk, Widow and Hawkeye (the scene in Tokyo felt like bargain basement John Wick), but honestly the biggest surprise for me was Nebula. I remember coming out of the very first Guardians of the Galaxy movie thinking that Karen Gillian couldn't act and quite frankly she might have been the second best performer in Endgame. Even moments that aren't necessarily about her allowed for you to really see her growth, and it helps that she got to play a super-evil version of the same character to really hammer it home.

As for the future of the MCU... It doesn't look all that different honestly. They might deal with the fallout of 50% of the universe coming back after being disappeared for 5 years, but I don't expect too deep a dive into that dynamic.
*Talking about it with others after the movie, I have no idea what the gently caress Far From Home is gonna look like, or if they're gonna address the fact that all of Peter's classmates are still his age
*Black Panther 2 and Captain Marvel 2 will likely have little other fallout from this and will look pretty much the same regardless, ditto Doctor Strange 2 (which honestly do we really need that one?)
*Folding Thor into the Guardians is a really fun dynamic but it's taking 2 of their best series from the franchise and making them 1, which seems like a poor use of resources. Also I super-duper hate resetting the Peter/Gamora relationship, the last thing we need is another movie of what we got from Guardians 1/2.
*As for those who haven't been guaranteed a movie, we're apparently getting more Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye in TV format (plus Loki, who we did see escape post-Battle of New York in an alternate dimension with the Tesseract...), and I could see them actually deal with the fallout of this whole thing in those since they'll have a lot of time to fill with story ideas
*my guess is that we see a Captain Falcon and Bucky movie soonish, especially since that would probably be lower budget than the big space movies they have on the horizon.
*Black Widow is dead obviously, but they were talking about making a prequel with her anyways so she's likely going to stay dead.
*Hulk is the biggest question mark for me. It would have made a lot more sense to send him with the Guardians than Thor, given they can't actually make a Hulk movie, but my guess is he'll be the connective tissue of the next phase of things, popping up in different movies for little bits of time.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a moment, right before the fight with Thanos Thor looked like MK Raiden and that was great.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Did Thor loving ditched his gaming friends

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really liked the movie. Been recovering from a bad surgery which made me bedridden for a while and getting to watch this movie was great fun and it cheered me up from a few weeks of pain. Hadn't read any spoiler beforehand.

Not sure if spoilers, just some name drops, but tagging nevertheless:

Movie had some plot holes but I was fully expecting them. A lot of them are very predictable decisions that are obviously made for the emotional impact. I enjoyed seeing Tilda Swinton's character again. I enjoyed Nebula's character as well and the shift towards giving her more screentime.

Things I'm sure are spoilers:

I liked small stuff. Like Bruce saying that that kind of science is out of his area of expertise and not being the perfect movie scientist who can do it all but kinda-sorta-still-being. He likes tries his best and does stuff that probably no one else would but they still needed Tony Startk.

The movie tries to subvert some expectations (I did not expect the Thanos confrontation to be the first thing done in the movie, pronto), but I like how the plot ties up with Dr. Strange's vision of the future. This is something SW8 didn't do in relation to SW7, they felt like completely separate movies working against each other. This time it felt like Dr. Strange used the Time Stone to its fullest potential, something that Thanos never really bothered - he retconned a stone being destroyed and that was it. Afterwards, even with the power of seeing the future, he was so arrogant that he did not bother, and just destroyed the stones.

I like how the movie paints Thanos as being completely batshit insane. I mean, his plan was stupid to begin with, but once he sees the future-to-be he just calmly adapts his plan and you go yeah, his plan made no sense in the first place because he's absolutely insane. He's just a really, really powerful insane person.

I really, really liked the Valkyrie. She was my favorite part of the action scenes brief as her scenes were. There was something really beautiful about it. The only thing that would have made it better would be Wagner and Robotic Bunnies.

I like Cap getting the hammer, I had almost forgotten that he gets the closest to lift the hammer in Ultron. It looked really cool.

Other than that, the gigantic epic fight at the end felt kinda boring but I'm extremely numb to action scenes at this point. I get that it needed to happen. Still, considering that, it had its moments, some of which were very cathartic to see.

I like how different characters react differently. Cap is a hot-headed who immediately decides to fight with himself. Tilda on the other hand neutralizes the Hulk as soon as he gets funny and decides to rationally have a chat to figure out what is going on. They talk, and she realizes that Strange must have seen this is the future that needed to happen, and the two talk their way into solving the problem.

Overall I had a lot of fun and I'm glad the movie didn't end with any hooks. This felt (to me) like a conclusion.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

Reading a list of plot events is not a good way to evaluate a movie's quality.

Yeah the last few pages have been pretty awful.

Movie is solid to good, I'm a bit surprised by the reviews because it's basically in that 'enjoyable but not memorable' category I'd put nearly all the Marvel movies in. Crowd was super into it which was fun.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I really liked it and think it did what it needed to.

The synopsis would sound dumb as hell but it worked for me.

Many mans were punched

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So when Dr Strange comes back does he just roll up to Tony like "See, told ya so"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HologramX
Jul 21, 2007
We had staff enter the theatre in the last few minutes of the film and no-one was even allowed to look at a phone, the whole $10000 fine (in NZ).

I was a bit gutted that there was no post-credits scene, I'd been hoping for a glimpse at the FF4, or the X-Men, or Deadpool and Cable... I was a bit confused by the clanging, which I've read some people thinking it's a callback to the original Iron Man but there was an article on one of our news sites that 'explained' who the kid from Tony Stark's funeral was the kid from Iron Man 3, who he (Stark) had sent a bunch of electronic stuff, and maybe it's him (the kid) building some sort of suit.

A day later, and reading other interpretations of some of the scenes, I'm not as disappointed by it as I was yesterday after watching it but not by much. I had a list of predictions that I had thought might happen, and only called a few of the things, like Strange in Infinity War lying to Iron Man before he disappeared that there was no way in which the Avengers won but he'd seen that Thanos had to enact his plan of universe cleansing before the Avengers could make everything right. I'd thought Cap America would die sacrificing himself for Iron Man, that they would have rebuilt Vision, as that Wakandan chick in Infinity War would have made a back-up of him when she was trying to extract the yellow stone, and that Bucky would have become the new Cap. Oh, and Loki wasn't actually dead and came back at the end.

I do think that Stark didn't go into the final battle intending to make the sacrifice play but realized that HE was the catalyst for the success against Thanos when Dr. Strange nodded at him. Didn't he die in the comics and become an electronic entity? Maybe that might happen going forward. Oh well, maybe I should just concentrate on real life...