Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EPICAC posted:

The car primarily gets used for the 1.5 mile drive to/from our son’s pre-k, groceries, weekend activities, and a few 2-3 hour one way road trips per year. All commuting is fond by subway.

The list of requirements is: good gas mileage

Why is this at the top of your list with this kind of usage profile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Agreed, though you don't necessarily need to sacrifice it altogether. With anything you are likely to consider, you wouldn't really notice +/- 5MPG.

Don't sell the HRV too short though. Going to a more upright seating position does wonders for interior room, especially the crazy loving space requirements that baby buckets have. I moved from a Mazdaspeed3 to a CR-V six years ago and even though the CR-V is very much based on the Civic, with a similar length and width to the MS3, the difference inside is night and day. The same infant seat that would only fit in the MS3 with a front seat fully forward, would fit in any of the three rear seats with both front seats fully back.

Go test drive a HRV and a CR-V, and depending on which of those you like better, test drive the Mazda CX-3 or CX-5.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

So I've narrowed down my choices to a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring Hatch and a 2017 Toyota Corolla SE. The former has only 31k miles on it while the latter has about 48k on it. The former is about 2.5k more than the latter which is at 11.3. Both used to be rentals and both have a clean carfax.

Which would you lean towards?

Don’t buy a rental ffs

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EPICAC posted:

My wife and I are considering a new car purchase. We have a 2010 Fit that we’ve been really happy with (good gas mileage and reliable). We’d happily drive it into the ground, but with two car seats in the back it’s feeling very small. I can’t comfortably sit in the passenger seat since our daughter’s infant seat takes up so much space.

The car primarily gets used for the 1.5 mile drive to/from our son’s pre-k, groceries, weekend activities, and a few 2-3 hour one way road trips per year. All commuting is fond by subway.

The list of requirements is: good gas mileage, low cost of ownership, ability of a 6’ adult to sit in the front seat semi-comfortably with an infant car set behind, the ability to wedge an adult between the two car seats when grandmothers visit (my parents’ Accord was fine for this when we visited), not a sedan, relatively compact (street parking only), and <$25k.

Basically I think we’re likely looking at a compact SUV. My wife likes the HRVs she’s seen in the neighborhood, but that’s built on the Fit platform, so I’m not sure that it would be much bigger inside. Any recommendations for cars to consider?

You will have to buy used or bare bones new for a CR-V, but I know they have plenty of space first row and second row for carseats. Also they are great cars overall.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Update on my saga to buy a replacement for my 2008 Prius that got totaled. My rental expires on Saturday, and it occurred to me that if there's not much inventory for a 2007-09 Prius in the DC area, and I feel bad asking a friend to make a long round trip to take me to a more remote location, I can actually just drop off my rental at said remote location since the other driver's insurance is paying for it.

2008 Prius w/89k miles ($5800), fully loaded except for leather: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/mySavedListings.action#listing=238376445

2010 Prius Three w/130k miles ($6500). Notably, this gets me into the new generation, and although the engine has a minor reputation for head gasket failures, everything else is more robust. No leather seats or auto-dimming rearview mirror though, and it has 3 recalls which haven't been fixed yet. Maybe I can use that to negotiate down to $6000?: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=513328332

I'm very heavily leaning toward the 2010, but I do wonder about how the cloth seats will hold up over the next 3-4 years.

Also, I know that you're generally advised to have a trusted mechanic inspect the car, but these vehicles are 1-2 hours away so that's not feasible, and I just moved so I don't know any local independent mechanics anyway. They've all passed Virginia safety inspections, though that's basic stuff unrelated to the powertrain.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 25, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Xelkelvos posted:

So I've narrowed down my choices to a 2018 Mazda 3 Touring Hatch and a 2017 Toyota Corolla SE. The former has only 31k miles on it while the latter has about 48k on it. The former is about 2.5k more than the latter which is at 11.3. Both used to be rentals and both have a clean carfax.

Which would you lean towards?

Go cheap

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

Civic

Something nice you can keep for a long time

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Don’t buy a rental ffs

I'm not a big car person. Idk why buying a former rental is bad other than the higher mileage and that several other peoples' butts have been in the seats.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm not a big car person. Idk why buying a former rental is bad other than the higher mileage and that several other peoples' butts have been in the seats.

If it's in the thread title it's probably been discussed ad nauseum. Time to start searching.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

If it's in the thread title it's probably been discussed ad nauseum. Time to start searching.

It's not in the OP so it's not been discussed that much. Also, things in the thread title are just as likely to be memes as they are commonly discussed things unless Ask/Tell is some exception.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

I bought my wife an Elantra from Hertz. They give a free warranty and it cleared the PPI, drives fine etc. I regret nothing.

I wouldn't buy a former rental from some random rear end dealership though.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's the links from Carfax fwiw

The Corolla: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DFI_0&vin=5YFBURHE4HP709128&source=BUP
The Mazda: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DFI_0&vin=3MZBN1L33JM183136&source=BUP

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I bought my wife an Elantra from Hertz. They give a free warranty and it cleared the PPI, drives fine etc. I regret nothing.

I wouldn't buy a former rental from some random rear end dealership though.

It's a dealership that specializes in picking up rentals and flipping them from what I can tell and they purportedly do brisk business or at least enough to game their way to being a top seller on CarGurus

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Never.

Buy.

Rentals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1FGTGarmlQ

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Josh Lyman posted:

Update on my saga to buy a replacement for my 2008 Prius that got totaled. My rental expires on Saturday,

When I had a rental after wrecking my car, I called up Hertz and they let me keep the car at the same rate that the insurance company was paying. Ended up paying like $15/day, which let me hold onto it pretty cheap for the extra week or so I needed to get the car I wanted.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Xelkelvos posted:

when someone rents a car they do not take as good care of it as they take care of their own car

i am pretty meticulous about my own cars but do i really care enough to bring the rental car to a complete stop before shifting from reverse to drive? no i do not.

edit: since evidently people do not understand this fairly obvious fact, one in every, say, 100 owners/drivers is an abject shithead, and maybe 1/50 is not a shithead when it comes to their own car but will actively abuse a rental car. A rental car has a bunch of people driving it for a day-two weeks and 200-2,000 miles at a time. It's pretty likely that at least one or two of them has been a complete shithead and abused the car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 25, 2019

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Motronic posted:

Why is this at the top of your list with this kind of usage profile?

Yeah, it’s not really at the top of the list, was just easiest to type. More interior space is the main factor.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Update on my saga to buy a replacement for my 2008 Prius that got totaled. My rental expires on Saturday, and it occurred to me that if there's not much inventory for a 2007-09 Prius in the DC area, and I feel bad asking a friend to make a long round trip to take me to a more remote location, I can actually just drop off my rental at said remote location since the other driver's insurance is paying for it.

2008 Prius w/89k miles ($5800), fully loaded except for leather: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/mySavedListings.action#listing=238376445

2010 Prius Three w/130k miles ($6500). Notably, this gets me into the new generation, and although the engine has a minor reputation for head gasket failures, everything else is more robust. No leather seats or auto-dimming rearview mirror though, and it has 3 recalls which haven't been fixed yet. Maybe I can use that to negotiate down to $6000?: https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=513328332

I'm very heavily leaning toward the 2010, but I do wonder about how the cloth seats will hold up over the next 3-4 years.

Also, I know that you're generally advised to have a trusted mechanic inspect the car, but these vehicles are 1-2 hours away so that's not feasible, and I just moved so I don't know any local independent mechanics anyway. They've all passed Virginia safety inspections, though that's basic stuff unrelated to the powertrain.

You probably would eat a fee for a one way rental, and I doubt their insurance would reimburse you for it. Check first.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

when someone rents a car they do not take as good care of it as they take care of their own car

i am pretty meticulous about my own cars but do i really care enough to bring the rental car to a complete stop before shifting from reverse to drive? no i do not.

edit: since evidently people do not understand this fairly obvious fact, one in every, say, 100 owners/drivers is an abject shithead, and maybe 1/50 is not a shithead when it comes to their own car but will actively abuse a rental car. A rental car has a bunch of people driving it for a day-two weeks and 200-2,000 miles at a time. It's pretty likely that at least one or two of them has been a complete shithead and abused the car.

So if you calculate that out for a car that hasn't yet maxed out its factory warranties (60k or under), that means there might have been, on average, one or less shithead drivers in that car for a limited period of time.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Any used car could have suffered abuse, rental or no. There's no way to know, that's why we get a PPI from a good mechanic and buy based on the things that are actually knowable. If a good mechanic says there's nothing wrong with it, the price is right, and it's the car you want, why not just buy it? I understand the sentiment behind "no rentals" but people are being strangely dogmatic about it. If you're willing to take a bit more risk in exchange for a better deal, that's your prerogative. Just do your due diligence, same as with any car purchase.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Any used car could have suffered abuse, rental or no. There's no way to know, that's why we get a PPI from a good mechanic and buy based on the things that are actually knowable. If a good mechanic says there's nothing wrong with it, the price is right, and it's the car you want, why not just buy it? I understand the sentiment behind "no rentals" but people are being strangely dogmatic about it. If you're willing to take a bit more risk in exchange for a better deal, that's your prerogative. Just do your due diligence, same as with any car purchase.

I'm with you. As long as you know what you're doing, buy whatever you want.

A rental is more likely to have had a rough life, but it's not necessarily true. You're taking on a bit more risk in exchange for a better price. If you do your homework, you can get a good deal. Everyone wants the creampuff driven by a little old lady to church and back, but there's not many of those.

Generally, though, this thread is geared toward people who know nothing about cars and want one that they won't have to worry about. They aren't willing to accept any more risk than they have to, so for them an ex-rental is probably a bad idea. They're the ones who will buy the cars that were driven over curbs and otherwise abused, because they don't know what to look for.

So "no rentals" is a good rule of thumb that's also fine to violate if you're reasonably savvy. If you're naive and know it, stick to it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not a big car person but let me tell you why I am going to buy a rental

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

So if you calculate that out for a car that hasn't yet maxed out its factory warranties (60k or under), that means there might have been, on average, one or less shithead drivers in that car for a limited period of time.

you want to take the risk?

edit: the worst I abused a rental car was driving a Fiat Uno about 10km up a muddy dirt road in Sao Paulo state that looked like the surface of Mars, color and all. I gave up when I started scraping the oil pan on some rocks. I put probably 20,000km worth of wear on the suspension in that 10km. And that is normal for rental cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 25, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

I'm with you. As long as you know what you're doing, buy whatever you want.

Yeah this goes with the salvage title rule too. If you have to ask why it's a bad idea, you don't know what the gently caress you're doing, and you shouldn't do it. If you know what you are doing and you want to buy a salvage title car, you aren't in this thread. (hello AI friend)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You probably would eat a fee for a one way rental, and I doubt their insurance would reimburse you for it. Check first.
The reservation was made through the other driver's insurance company. I called Enterprise and they said it was alright since I wasn't paying for it. I'm hesitant to call State Farm since they presumably wouldn't want me to do it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Things I've personally done to rental cars:

Look at that suspension travel. You know what that car wasn't built to do? That. Had fun doing it, though. Got it up to 110mph that same day.

You know what's cooler than donuts? Donuts on a volcano.

These are just the things I have photo evidence of myself doing to rental cars. Think about that.

Unless you're okay with me possibly having played real life Dirt Rally in your new daily, don't buy a rental.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 25, 2019

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm willing to bet that most non-goons who rent cars (especially economy cars) just drive them to wherever it is they're going and move on with their life with zero incident.

Salvage title is a whole different ball game and I wouldn't touch one for any car that I remotely wanted to rely on.

Maybe I'm being a tiny bit defensive since I did actually buy one, but the PPI said it was in excellent condition and it had a free warranty (as well as still being under Hyundai Assurance, albeit for a reduced period). I wouldn't have accepted any less, though.

I probably took worse odds with my Mazda 3 despite it being a one owner non-rental, but it's PPI was very positive as well and both cars seem to be in good working order so I'm happy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dude it only takes one rear end in a top hat

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

https://youtu.be/ucQKNkvzQ3g

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

Things I've personally done to rental cars:

Wait huh, is the car stopped in this photo? What's wrong with it and how is it driveable like this?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

Wait huh, is the car stopped in this photo? What's wrong with it and how is it driveable like this?

Look at the picture above it. It's sitting on a huge off-camber crest and the suspension is bottomed out.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

Look at the picture above it. It's sitting on a huge off-camber crest and the suspension is bottomed out.

It...it looks like it's on a slight hill. I'm confused but maybe it's just me. Having the right wheel drop will cause the left one to come up dramatically like that without IS? Guess it shows how much of my driving has been off asphalt (not enough)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

It...it looks like it's on a slight hill. I'm confused but maybe it's just me.

The rear passenger wheel is maybe 3 ft higher than the front driver wheel. The rear driver wheel is is in a rut that is too low for the car's suspension to properly reach, so the weight of that corner is sitting on the other 3 corners. The suspension was not made to do this and cannot support the weight of the car with only 3 springs so it's sitting on the bump stops. This is obviously terrible for the suspension, especially the part where I had to drive it into and out of that position and wasn't especially careful doing so.

There's a reason AWD by itself doesn't mean you can go off-roading (unless you're in a rental car, in which case it's automatically the best rock crawler in the world).

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Do rental agencies do even basic maintenance? It seems they wouldn't be incentivized to do so. I had a Fusion hybrid from Avis yesterday with 33k miles that had the maintenance and wiper fluid lights on and noone seemed to care.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm sure they let oil changes go as long as humanly possible.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Sits on Pilster posted:

Do rental agencies do even basic maintenance? It seems they wouldn't be incentivized to do so. I had a Fusion hybrid from Avis yesterday with 33k miles that had the maintenance and wiper fluid lights on and noone seemed to care.

I would imagine that, at bare minimum, they do the necessary maintenance as to not void the manufacturer's warranty. Probably not much beyond that though. Unless they don't care about the warranties, since they don't keep the cars long. I'm sure the bean counters have figured out what's more cost effective.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 25, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's a reason rental places don't have cars more than ~2 years old.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
I'm sure these companies maintain stats on maintenance costs vs. repair/write-off costs. I'd wonder if the data don't show that it pays to just not do any maintenance and then sell the cars before they reach some key inflection point when problems start to arise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sits on Pilster posted:

I'm sure these companies maintain stats on maintenance costs vs. repair/write-off costs. I'd wonder if the data don't show that it pays to just not do any maintenance and then sell the cars before they reach some key inflection point when problems start to arise.

They do minimal maintenance - oil changes, filters, wipers, etc - but they do not get involved in heavy maintenance and repair. Most big rental companies try to ditch cars before any kind of B service.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I’ve driven enough rental cars that drove like crap with only like 30k miles on the clock to never want to buy one. A car with 30k miles shouldn’t have transmission issues, hosed up brakes, whacked out alignments, or just the general level of wear and tear many of them have.

Maybe there are good ex-rentals out there, but even as a car guy I ain’t messing with that game. Too many fish in the sea, especially since rental cars are never anything rare or special.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve taken a rental 3 cylinder Kia Picante on Iceland F roads and let me tell you, it’s a riot. Just not for the guy who buys it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Having to take the time out to get a PPI is probably the more difficult bit for me at this point as I'm currently riding around in a rental that I keep extending since I don't know how long any of this poo poo will take. I've taken a test drive of both cars and both feel and sound reasonably fine. Nothing is outrageously amiss as far as I can tell