Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1121235581135196160?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1121021738240880640?s=21

Whistleblowing is now bad, apparently.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BrigadierSensible posted:

Tangentially on this:

The "war on drugs", and "boo evil drug dealers selling poison to our kids" pearl clutching seems to have died down over the last decade or so. Not that society has gotten any better about treating addicts, or or stamping out the causes of their addiction, it just doesn't seem to demonize them as much anymore, nor prioritize their problems.

Is it because there are new boogeymen? i.e. People are more scared of muslims and mexicans than they are of junkies and dealers so politicians base their rhetoric accordingly?

Kind of. A lot of the war on drugs was just part of the overall fear of urban crime and black people during the seventies and eighties. When the crime rates started dropping the broader social anxiety over drugs and gangs started to peter out. Everyone who is still scared of brown people has moved more into immigrants and terrorists now, and all the gangs and drugs stuff is attached to that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

there wolf posted:

Kind of. A lot of the war on drugs was just part of the overall fear of urban crime and black people during the seventies and eighties. When the crime rates started dropping the broader social anxiety over drugs and gangs started to peter out. Everyone who is still scared of brown people has moved more into immigrants and terrorists now, and all the gangs and drugs stuff is attached to that.

The opioid crisis is also the number one drugs topic these days and today's image of an opioid user is a white guy. As the profile of a stereotypical drug user has shifted from a black person to a white person, the rage and fear of drugs has correspondingly declined.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

vyelkin posted:

The opioid crisis is also the number one drugs topic these days and today's image of an opioid user is a white guy. As the profile of a stereotypical drug user has shifted from a black person to a white person, the rage and fear of drugs has correspondingly declined.

That's part of it too, but I'd argue it happened even earlier with meth taking over from crack as the poor people drug.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Powered Descent posted:

It bothers me that the word is clearly supposed to be an adjective but it's also the noun form. Like if dentistry was called "dental". Just "dental". You'd think it'd be called chiropracty or chiropathy or something.

I'm aware there are many other non-grammatical things to be bothered about with regards to chiropractic, but that one's always bugged me.

I just wanted to offer up: Chiropathology. Because they are using the spine to cause problems.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

The reason why your eyes are infected is because there’s not enough piss in them

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Pee is stored in the eyeballs

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Wtf is wrong with people? Chiropractors for infants and "urine treatment" for the eyes? We skipped over amulets and charms and went straight back to "kill the rabbit and stare into the pool of blood, that will let you know how pregnant you are".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/AndyMarlette/status/1121423612060286977?s=19

That doesn't scan the way the cartoonist thinks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

phasmid posted:

Wtf is wrong with people? Chiropractors for infants and "urine treatment" for the eyes? We skipped over amulets and charms and went straight back to "kill the rabbit and stare into the pool of blood, that will let you know how pregnant you are".

Social media bro. Our hunter gatherer monkey brains aren't very good at discriminating between good and bad information so we take it all in and then pick what confirms our priors and there you go. If you believe that modern medicine is a scam or a racket or whatever then you're going to be super receptive to snake oil pitches. Add in the community building effect and you get poo poo like this:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1121192604396412928

30 years ago, there probably were anti-vaxxers, but they were fringe, they didn't have communities and echo chambers to energize them and entrench their beliefs. Social media changed all that.

Is it ok if I don't have exact change :smug:

xpost from funny pics

zoux has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Apr 25, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Screaming Idiot posted:

*cleans chunks of baby from his gauntlet spikes*
THAT BABY WAS HARD TO BREAK, BUT BABYBREAKERRRRR ALWAYS BREAKS THOSE loving BABIES

I AM COVERED BY MOST CONSUMER INSURANCE PLANS

Ignoring what you say to me
Put him one step closer to the edge
And baby gonna break
A baby doesn’t need to breathe
Put him one step closer to the ledge
And baby gonna break

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
One thing, I don’t know why
You break a baby’s back and it don’t seem to cry

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

phasmid posted:

that's not what the rabbit dying thing means. we can't go back to something that was never a thing

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Someone help me understand what he was going for. I'm assuming Clim Pass, but that doesn't make any more sense.

Cheers. I never would have read it that way.
vvv

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 17:23 on Apr 25, 2019

Serf
May 5, 2011

hyperhazard posted:

Someone help me understand what he was going for. I'm assuming Clim Pass, but that doesn't make any more sense.

scumpass

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I didn't know how much we'd need so I brought the entire vase.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

zoux posted:

Social media bro. Our hunter gatherer monkey brains aren't very good at discriminating between good and bad information so we take it all in and then pick what confirms our priors and there you go. If you believe that modern medicine is a scam or a racket or whatever then you're going to be super receptive to snake oil pitches. Add in the community building effect and you get poo poo like this:

:thunk: A close-contact gathering of 100% un-vaccinated children in an enclosed space. Nothing could go wrong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

karoshi posted:

:thunk: A close-contact gathering of 100% un-vaccinated children in an enclosed space. Nothing could go wrong.

Apparently some NYC families hosted "measles parties" because now everyone is pretending like it's not a big deal, it's just like chicken pox. So they'd probably think that any infectious disease their kids caught at the anti-vaxx rally is a good thing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Chicken pox was nasty but at least it didn't kill millions before vaccinations came along.

I actually attended chicken pox parties as a child, but I didn't get it until 13 and it was not pretty. It is worse as you get older. I had them on my eyeballs and in my throat. I would have preferred being born later and getting the vaccine.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

zoux posted:

30 years ago, there probably were anti-vaxxers, but they were fringe, they didn't have communities and echo chambers to energize them and entrench their beliefs. Social media changed all that.

I can see people turning to quackery because of desperation (cancer cures, etc.) but it's still difficult to parse the mind of the kind of person who thinks it's all a scam from the foundation. Like, maybe the lack of availability led to people just renouncing stuff wholesale? For sure, modern medicine is a scam in the sense that it's made too expensive for most people in the U.S. to afford but as far as treatment goes, the usefulness is beyond question.

I have a family member that I barely talk to anymore because of this poo poo. It's only a matter of time before one of their children gets sick and it's easier to just write them off now than to await the misery helplessly. Social media was definitely the culprit there.

InediblePenguin posted:

that's not what the rabbit dying thing means. we can't go back to something that was never a thing

drat. I'm trying to remember where I read that and can't. Sure there was something to do with the slaying of a hare and pagan birth rites. :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Chicken pox was nasty but at least it didn't kill millions before vaccinations came along.

I actually attended chicken pox parties as a child, but I didn't get it until 13 and it was not pretty. It is worse as you get older. I had them on my eyeballs and in my throat. I would have preferred being born later and getting the vaccine.

Yeah chicken pox tends to be milder the younger you are, though there are some complications in certain at-risk populations. Contrast that to measles, where most deaths occur in children younger than five. Measles killed 2.6 million people globally in 1980, but less than 75k in 2014 because of vaccinations. Less than 10k people die from chickenpox globally every year so it's not really even in the same league as measles. The vast majority of people who get measles probably won't die from it, but the symptoms are a lot worse than chicken pox oh and there's no reason to get it because the vaccine is highly effective.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

phasmid posted:

drat. I'm trying to remember where I read that and can't. Sure there was something to do with the slaying of a hare and pagan birth rites. :shrug:

What you're thinking of is haruspicy

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I think phasmid might be confusing the 20th century rabbit tests for pregnancy with haruspicy!

Picnic Princess posted:

I wish I’d never had chicken pox because SHINGLES. gently caress shingles.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

AlbieQuirky posted:

My husband got shingles when he was 19. We didn't even knew it existed at that age and had no idea what to do. He was juat suffering immensely and even the doctor was ahocked because he was otherwise healthy, it was bizarre and has made me paranoid ever since.

Anyway I saw this on a post about taxing volcanoes for producing CO2 amd thought it would be very useful in the future.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
https://twitter.com/whimsical_turd/status/1121407755351465985

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

AlbieQuirky posted:

I think phasmid might be confusing the 20th century rabbit tests for pregnancy with haruspicy!

What a savage time the 20th century was.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I'm so glad that the photo preview hides the punchline. :laffo:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

vyelkin posted:

It also doesn't help that the Nixon administration wanted to associate hippies and black people (you know, two groups that were traditionally pretty liberal and anti-war) with certain social ills. Weed was heavily associated with hippies and cocaine with black people so guess what they went after the hardest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Time for a little game theory

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Security provided exclusively by the
$:cumpolice:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

My husband got shingles when he was 19. We didn't even knew it existed at that age and had no idea what to do. He was juat suffering immensely and even the doctor was ahocked because he was otherwise healthy, it was bizarre and has made me paranoid ever since.

I got shingles in my mid-20s because grad school was so stressful (I am otherwise extremely healthy). The doctor was shocked and didn't even have any literature available on it because it was so rare in people my age.

Wish the chicken pox vaccine had been available when I was a kid.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yeah, chicken pox isn't without lasting effects. And shingles can have complications of its own. At least there's also a shingles vaccine.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I BLAME ANITA SARKEESIAN AND WARNER HERZOG FOR MY BUTTER MALADY
Werner Herzog would eat a gamer. Not on purpose, he just wouldn't notice them and then next thing you know there's a scrap of Naruto t-shirt hanging out of his mouth as he talks.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

It's like someone who I once heard talk about how libs' support for welfare and abortion were part of Margerat Sanger's plan for black genocide. You see, they were gonna encourage them to have large single-parent families with welfare, which they would in then deal with by having abortions. I guess the plan is that they'd overcompensate.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I know it’s from pages ago, but what’s up with those people freaking out about the MK women? They just look... normal, and they’re all conventionally attractive. Absolutely none of them look like men. What’s causing this? Do these guys have brains so rotten from watching anime that anything that isn’t lolicon no longer reads as feminine to them?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GreenMetalSun posted:

I know it’s from pages ago, but what’s up with those people freaking out about the MK women? They just look... normal, and they’re all conventionally attractive. Absolutely none of them look like men. What’s causing this? Do these guys have brains so rotten from watching anime that anything that isn’t lolicon no longer reads as feminine to them?

Yes. They think anything other than exaggerated hourglass figures with huge tits is horrible.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

On this episode of on poo poo That Didn't Happen

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GreenMetalSun posted:

They used to be dressed in much skimpier outfits.

The faces in the last few MKs have been scary, this one is actually a huge inorovement. So I don't know where that side of the complaint comes from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Blizzard's ad for Blizzcon this year featured women front and center.

The reactions were predictable.