Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I want more/better weapons and stuff like the bullet time and dodge roll added in from Half-Payne, and maybe even some optional ridiculous gore a la Brutal Half-Life and I figure that ought to be enough to replay the whole game yet again. Preferably built on top of Half-Life 2 Updates's unfucked version of HL2, but admittedly that's pushing it a little.

Actually I think I want a new FPS with these mechanics and a strong story focus with an interesting plot that isn't told through overwrought cutscenes but that's pushing it a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/zaTCnnn.mp4

edit: Ah, there we go, now it's animating again.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 22, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS SHOOT AT HIS drat BRAIN, CJ

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

RareAcumen posted:

edit: Ah poo poo, here we go again.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
What kicked off all the San Andreas memes lately?

I'm not complaining, San Andreas rules and was the last good GTA, but I am curious

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

lol

also, YOU PICKED THE WRONG HOUSE, FOOL

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

RareAcumen posted:

edit: Ah, there we go, now it's animating again.

Oh Lord he coming Smoke.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Byzantine posted:

What kicked off all the San Andreas memes lately?

I'm not complaining, San Andreas rules and was the last good GTA, but I am curious

Main reason is that it's really to pull those models out and use them in other games, just like it's pretty easy to put other poo poo into San Andreas (or iii or vice city)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

https://youtu.be/tKtFaIPfxrw

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/prpr00000/status/1109840772356960256

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got the "vacant yet begging for death" face down pat at least.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Honestly, the real thing I can't get over is that people are STILL modding Skyrim. You think they'd get bored eventually.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Backhand posted:

Honestly, the real thing I can't get over is that people are STILL modding Skyrim. You think they'd get bored eventually.

BG 2 still has a mod community, and it lacks 3d waifus.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Backhand posted:

People are still modding Doom. And making horny mods at that!

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Glagha posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a horny Doom mod sitting on a human face - forever.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Skippy McPants posted:

BG 2 still has a mod community, and it lacks 3d waifus.
It sure doesn't lack 2D waifus, though. Shugojin LP'd a massively modded playthough of BG2 that included one of them. It's about as creepy as you'd expect.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cardiovorax posted:

It sure doesn't lack 2D waifus, though. Shugojin LP'd a massively modded playthough of BG2 that included one of them. It's about as creepy as you'd expect.

The specific term waifu is even accurate here: Saerileth's creators were Japanese, and they explicitly wanted to make a "traditional sort of love interest" since Aerie, Jaheira, and Viconia apparently don't fit the mold for JRPG love interests.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Oh yeah, I remember that. Jaheira and Viconia certainly don't. Too mature, too much life experience, too many opinions and goals of their own. It's not really the kind of character JRPGs do.

Aerie might, though. She's whiny enough for it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cardiovorax posted:

Aerie is depressed, almost to the point of suicide - the developers wrote a quest where you basically, for all intents and purposes, could let her commit suicide, but cut it from the release version of the game. Her ToB personality change was written for SoA if you instead helped her work through her depression.

"Help the demure, shy, sensitive girl become outgoing, confident, and self-assured with her own goals in life" is not something JRPGs do with love interests. Remember that Aerie still has enough self-worth to potentially break up with the PC, and will inevitably break up with Haer'Dalis of her own initiative if they get together.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The romances in BG2, in general, were really tacked on and dumb. Jaheira's was actually kinda cool in that it realistically portrayed someone in grief freaking out at the prospect of falling in love again and being terrified of history repeating itself, but Jaheira herself was so unpleasant (and fairly useless as a party member) that it made the writing hard to appreciate even if it was well-written.

Viconia I never messed with. Aerie was a whiny child, and Anomen's I hated so much I kicked him out of the party and killed him off permanently. The guy pretty much tries to emotionally blackmail a female player character into sex and leaves forever if she won't go for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What exactly is the appeal of a JRPG love interest beyond the obvious "shy naive girl I want to control and gently caress at my leisure?"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

What exactly is the appeal of a JRPG love interest beyond the obvious "shy naive girl I want to control and gently caress at my leisure?"

Because she's also your mom and does all the chores around the house, cooks you dinner, and raises your children, leaving you free to spend your time doing whatever you want.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cythereal posted:

Because she's also your mom and does all the chores around the house, cooks you dinner, and raises your children, leaving you free to spend your time doing whatever you want.

Considering what my Japanese history prof told us about the domestic sphere of life in Japan, it's not really surprising to me that this type of love interest is so widespread in their media, but it does make me shake my head because I really don't get that mindset at all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Backhand posted:

They keep releasing Skyrim so they'll keep modding Skyrim.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Aerie is depressed, almost to the point of suicide - the developers wrote a quest where you basically, for all intents and purposes, could let her commit suicide, but cut it from the release version of the game.
That's true and she has good reason to be. That doesn't mean isn't also whiny and childish, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

but it does make me shake my head because I really don't get that mindset at all.

You appear to value women as human beings and equals.

This is not a popular view of women in Japan.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cythereal posted:

:chloe:

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

RareAcumen posted:

They keep releasing Skyrim so they'll keep modding Skyrim.

but how do you get degenerate mods for Alexa skyrim

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MohShuvuu posted:

but how do you get degenerate mods for Alexa skyrim

Alexa rolls a D40204 and if it gets a result above 30459 then it just starts playing hentai.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cythereal posted:

That's not what I meant at all. I just don't see the appeal to those types of romances but I can understand why the trend is so prevalent in Japan given how common the stay-at-home mother is in the country. That's certainly changing nowadays but when you're a boy whose been spoiled his entire childhood and you grow up to write romance dialogue for JRPGs you stick with the leading trend. There's always exceptions but things become popular for a reason, even if that reason is lost on someone like myself coming from an entirely different background.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Considering they also came up with the other type of traditional dating game clichés like "tsunderes" and all that, it's not all that much of a universal favourite even in Japan. It's a cultural definition of the ideal woman in the way the Southern Belle stereotype is.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stop.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sorry.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart
Imperator:Rome is out, so are the first mods, introducing "Improved Portraits":

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

The Doom modding community still going strong actually makes a lot of sense to me, because the barrier to entry is really low. If you want to make a map in a modern game, assuming it even supports it (so few do anymore), the detail required to look up to par is way beyond the casual modder just picking up the toolset for the first time. Meanwhile in Doom, can you draw some straight lines on a 2D image? Congratulations, you can make a Doom map.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that. Jaheira and Viconia certainly don't. Too mature, too much life experience, too many opinions and goals of their own. It's not really the kind of character JRPGs do.

Yes but she's not 15.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean this isn’t exactly a common trope for JRPG love interest so idk.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Are there any mods for BG2 that makes it so my kensai/wizard dual-class isn't stuck as a wizard until level 7?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean this isn’t exactly a common trope for JRPG love interest so idk.

The anime defender has logged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can someone please speak the name of these cursed games? What is this, Harry Potter?