Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Paradox also partnered with the Many a True Nerd YouTube channel for a seven-part video tutorial series if people just need something for their second monitor at work: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4hR-M4rl7udcO3UOKpQl4JVPOxthhZT-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've never really played any of these games, would this one be okay to get into? Also does it teach you about a lot of the stuff in the game? seems like a lot of stuff is going on

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well i did everything from the tutorial, except alllying the 1 province minor, who is randomly pissed off at me and refuses to get higher diplomatic relations

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Davincie posted:

well i did everything from the tutorial, except alllying the 1 province minor, who is randomly pissed off at me and refuses to get higher diplomatic relations

I think you need to butter them up before you do anything giving Aggressive Expansion (claims, war, etc.).

Absum
May 28, 2013

Oh boy I forgot that all the big Diadochi get free claims. Looks like my first attempt at Heraclea Pontica is already over (although I did manage to bug Phrygia into attritting themselves from a 70k to 20k army lol).

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
I'm a monster, game lets you imprison new-born babies.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hammerstein posted:

Imperator: Border Patrol Edition

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Serdia AAR: conquered too many Greeks too quickly because said pansy Greeks didn't put up enough of a fight. RIP celtic Greece. Stupid rebels :qq:

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Imperator: Slav Baby Labor

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Anyone have this problem? I haven't found anyone else with it. hosed around with all the settings I could. Camera just sort of gos up and never returns.

e: Disconnect your 360 pad if you have this problem. Fixed it for me.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 25, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

e; Qart-Hadasht can into space.

Davincie posted:

I had to wait that out a little because I had an AE penalty. I also switched my diplomatic stance to Appeasing, it helped bring AE down quicker.

Now, question that may reveal I am one dumb bitch, but how the heckie do you get an army aboard a fleet? I'm trying to bring some trunky bois up to Sardinia to conquer the interior but they're just sitting there in Carthage. Can't give them a direct move order, can't seem to load them onto a fleet, and I just found it, I had to give a fleet the automated order to do naval landings, THEN give the army the move order.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I was able to just right-click them on, but you need to have enough ships to carry the entire army.

I guess if you tell the fleet to assist naval landings you don't need to mess around with splitting the army into chunks small enough to be carried.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chomp8645 posted:

Imperator: Border Patrol Edition

:drat:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

does the tutorial not unlock achievements? just noticed im not getting any

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I did the sad attempt at a tutorial. Eh, at least it got me clicking through menus and slowly learning where buttons are for poo poo. The UI isn't great though.

That said I'm quite enjoying myself so far. My initial first game was as Egypt, but Phrygia curbstomped me pretty much right out the gate because I still had no clue what I was doing.

Restarted as Gortyn in pure goon fashion and treated Crete as my tutorial island. About twenty years later I had united Crete under my rule and have established a small foothold in the Peloponnese, and I feel like I have a much better handle on how this poo poo is supposed to work. Now that I feel a bit better about knowing what the hell I'm doing, tomorrow I'm going to give a larger power a try... maybe Egypt again, or Carthage.

Davincie posted:

does the tutorial not unlock achievements? just noticed im not getting any

Nope, the tutorial isn't Ironman. And like literally every other Paradox game, achievements are ironman-only.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Is it just me, or is there no popup for truces ending and peace deals being signed? I got half my land taken in a war in which I was an ally, and the game neglected to tell me what had happened.

So far, my review is a solid "eh". Coming from EU4 where there's so much stuff to click to a game which feels like launch Sengoku isn't a great feeling.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Some pro tips for everyone:

Make sure you assign your ideas! For some insane reason the game doesn't give you a popup for this and it's extremely important. Corollary: the religious idea which gives increased civilisation value is secretly loving amazing.

Use the "convert gold into power" button a lot in the very early game. Unless you're a fairly major power you won't have enough gold to hire mercenaries anyway, and there's a ton of stuff you want to dump oratory and civic power into in the early game. Getting a couple of hundred more power can really speed things up.

Horses are rad, they move twice as fast as regular units (heavy cav only 50% faster)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Well, I was expecting anime portraits mod among the first mods, but this can do

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1723110762

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oblivion Portraits

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Chomp8645 posted:

Oblivion Portraits

lmbo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hammerstein posted:

*Laughs in Crassus*

:hfive:

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah luckily Nvidia released a great performer if you are looking at value stuff

Just downloaded this game, time to mess around in classical times! :tipshat:

Which card would that be? I haven't updated in ages or kept up with what's what.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Looking forward to the Rome 2 Total War portrait pack :hellyeah:

That Works posted:

Which card would that be? I haven't updated in ages or kept up with what's what.

The 1660ti is getting pretty rave reviews / nice specs

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Looking forward to the Rome 2 Total War portrait pack :hellyeah:

I thought that pack was making fun of Rome 2.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm playing as a democratic republic and my entire Senate makeup has changed without any warning less than a year in. Whereas at the game's launch, all parties were evenly divided 20/20/20/20/20, out of nowhere the balance has completely shifted and I can't do poo poo because my leader's party has been completely wiped out. Again, zero warning or indication that this was happening.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Insurrectionist posted:

What since when???

Bade is actually pronounced much like "bad"

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bade

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Wow this is completely unplayable at any of the resolutions that I can actually play in for windowed, half of anything important ends up off the bottom of the screen.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Thom12255 posted:

I thought that pack was making fun of Rome 2.

Not a single person has arrows sticking out of their head :cmon: maybe in the next version then??

Also for me the bug eyes was the real lmao stuff so again hopefully the next version goes all out there too

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Magissima posted:

Interesting that none of the tribes that can form Galatia seem to start out as migratory.

Okay, Boihaemia does but it doesn't have the diplo range to reach Asia Minor, so you have to pick up all your pops and become a migratory horde, march towards your target, and declare a no cb war. Migratory hordes are weird, you're not making any money from provinces but you still have to pay army upkeep on the migratory armies, so you immediately go deep into bankruptcy. Also migratory armies can access anyone's lands but your clan retinues can't, so you need to fight with nothing but light infantry.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Started a game as Carthage, conquered half of Sicily and all of Sardinia. Went after the only free north african country despite my senate telling me "No!" and uuh, don't fight wars in the desert with elephants and heavy infantry, attrition is real! :downs:

Won the war and annexed most of it but it cost me literally all my manpower in attrition.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

reignonyourparade posted:

Wow this is completely unplayable at any of the resolutions that I can actually play in for windowed, half of anything important ends up off the bottom of the screen.

Which resolutions?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Buggiest paradox launch in ages, multiplayer doesnt even work!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The detach siege button doesn't detach enough cohorts to siege :thumbsup:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

gently caress you Senate if I say we're going to war, we're going to war!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I am the Senate!

*force lightnings you*

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Anyone else gets extremely annoying microstutter every single day?

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Are there events that make the Seleucids and Phrygians more prone to revolt? They seem pretty stable

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Sekenr posted:

Anyone else gets extremely annoying microstutter every single day?

Yes, it's terrible and changing settings doesn't seem to help. Waiting for an optimization patch or a new CPU, whatever comes first.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Aaaaaand here we go. First racist/sexist mod on the workshop! Disable Gender Equality in Britain

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What’s the place has the game for cheapest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

guns for tits posted:

Are there events that make the Seleucids and Phrygians more prone to revolt? They seem pretty stable

I've played about 12 years as Rome, and Phrygia has already exploded in my game.

Now I'm going to be trying out Epirus. Also I think the starting armies for everyone is a bit weird. Epirus just has 12,000 archers. That seems wrong.

Kaza42 posted:

Aaaaaand here we go. First racist/sexist mod on the workshop! Disable Gender Equality in Britain

Is that really that bad, I mean pretty much no ancient cutlure was anywhere close to having gender equality. It kind of sucks that it seems to be an either on/off "women can't do anything" or "women can do anything", it would be more interesting and more accurate if it was more gradual and if perhaps in more equal societies that women can get into more roles if they have high relevant stats or certain traits.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 25, 2019