Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah. I feel like Tiff openly mentions that either she or Tim was inspired by the story on Sherri's page.

I always figured it was a character Tiff had in the works, and one day Tim decided to troll the heck outta Sherri & some other schmo on hypnochat w/ it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

didn't comb thru thread because spoilers, so apologies if this has come up, but I'm wondering what engine this runs on and if it can be optimized for potato computer-

my desktop's broken at the moment, so I've been running this pretty successfully on a laptop that doesn't quite meet the minimum reqs- but it redlines my single-core CPU. There's some sweet verisimilitude in the janky slowness (it reminds me of using internet in 1999 on my hand-me-down Pentium 100) but the unresponsiveness of the mouse pointer and the MIDIs coming out all slow and irregular is getting frustrating to the point where it's difficult to play for more than a half hour or so (which, again, mucho verisimilitude, but guh)- I tried setting priority to 'high' on the HypnOS.exe instance that handles the music but it didn't change anything- the joke could me on me, though, if that's intended behavior, lol

I've already stripped down services and background apps I don't need, tho it's not quite the Tiny7 environment I'm thinking of wiping and reloading with so much as a custom set of adjustments and registry hacks that I do on every oldish compy I put windows on

speccies:
Celeron 900 single core @ 2.2 GHz
3GB DDR3 RAM
Intel GMA 4500M gfx sharing 512MB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)

I have another lappy from 2005 with better specs, but it's such a weird one that modern drivers don't exist for half the hardware, notably the Radeon GFX card

anyone else running this on a forty-buck slab of computer?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Interestingly enough it's also a quirk of the game that HypnOS will run slower if you try to do too much with it - music player tends to give it a real headache. Maybe try running less in the game as well in case you're also simulating slowdown in top of real slowdown.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think I'm really close to the end but I've gotten stuck. I'm in 2019, and Samantha has asked me to help find evidence against Dylan. The email mentions looking underground. I think my big hangup is that I still don't know the password to the M1NX site, and I'm not sure where to look. I scoured everything I could on Tim, but it didn't really lead anywhere. I found the hidden debug tool in the fantasy land, but that didn't lead to anything either.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You can click the text on his scrolling page to get to his actual page. I had to look this up, so don't feel bad!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK, I got further in but now my question is at this point, how can I earn more hypnocoin so I can buy hypnocure pro and read the m1nx page?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

OK, I got further in but now my question is at this point, how can I earn more hypnocoin so I can buy hypnocure pro and read the m1nx page?

Go to the debug thing and donate a negative amount of money to the Hax Gods.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BaDandy posted:

Alternately, Janitor and the 0.99 release of Outlaw still work for "free" HC.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I’m happy to besee Ed

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Peanut Butler posted:

didn't comb thru thread because spoilers, so apologies if this has come up, but I'm wondering what engine this runs on and if it can be optimized for potato computer-

my desktop's broken at the moment, so I've been running this pretty successfully on a laptop that doesn't quite meet the minimum reqs- but it redlines my single-core CPU. There's some sweet verisimilitude in the janky slowness (it reminds me of using internet in 1999 on my hand-me-down Pentium 100) but the unresponsiveness of the mouse pointer and the MIDIs coming out all slow and irregular is getting frustrating to the point where it's difficult to play for more than a half hour or so (which, again, mucho verisimilitude, but guh)- I tried setting priority to 'high' on the HypnOS.exe instance that handles the music but it didn't change anything- the joke could me on me, though, if that's intended behavior, lol

I've already stripped down services and background apps I don't need, tho it's not quite the Tiny7 environment I'm thinking of wiping and reloading with so much as a custom set of adjustments and registry hacks that I do on every oldish compy I put windows on

speccies:
Celeron 900 single core @ 2.2 GHz
3GB DDR3 RAM
Intel GMA 4500M gfx sharing 512MB RAM
Windows 7 (x64)

I have another lappy from 2005 with better specs, but it's such a weird one that modern drivers don't exist for half the hardware, notably the Radeon GFX card

anyone else running this on a forty-buck slab of computer?

Heyy, there's a TINY bit of intentional jank, but most issues people have are just the game running poorly. Even the OS slowdown mentioned in a reply to you is unintentional and is due to a NW.JS/Chromium audio memory leak, though it's generally cured by restarting the OS. If you watch streams on youtube of Vinesauce Vinny playing, it should run at roughly that speed. If it's slower, it's a def performance thing. If you don't have an okayish GPU it's gonna run pretty poorly, especially on a laptop. We made it in Construct 2 and unfortunately there are all sorts of low level limitations to what we can do to optimize from our end.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Gaspy Conana posted:

Heyy, there's a TINY bit of intentional jank, but most issues people have are just the game running poorly. Even the OS slowdown mentioned in a reply to you is unintentional and is due to a NW.JS/Chromium audio memory leak, though it's generally cured by restarting the OS. If you watch streams on youtube of Vinesauce Vinny playing, it should run at roughly that speed. If it's slower, it's a def performance thing. If you don't have an okayish GPU it's gonna run pretty poorly, especially on a laptop. We made it in Construct 2 and unfortunately there are all sorts of low level limitations to what we can do to optimize from our end.

Is that why HypnOS is listed as a web browser on my Mac? I've been meaning to try it out on some test files and see what it does.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Wow I didn't realise the slowdown was actually unintentional. Did you add the Restart button purely because of it? In a way if it ever gets fixed I'd like an option to simulate if

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Question: Do you love america? Do you love freedom? More importantly, do you love and support everyone's favorite cartoon private eye, GUMSHOE GOOPER???

Show your pride and love of of gumshoe gooper by getting the ALL NEW gumshoe gooper gang tag! (100hc for image)

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Gaspy Conana posted:

aw, aces, thanks for the reply!

and yeah, there's some desync with animations and sfx (like when the enforcement stamp comes down), so I can tell something's going on. lol I'm running this well under spec, this is my grandma's old laptop and the GPU is an Intel one sharing resources with a Celeron CPU. I might toss it more system RAM, it's not really taxing that too hard

e: i played a lot of it on 4/20 because it was easier while blazed to convince myself I was using the world's most stable 486 w/Pentium overdrive

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Gaspy Conana posted:

You could have just blamed Dylan.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
So i've hosed around blind and am currently at the mindcrash hack and I'm honestly lost. I know that Tim's page requires something to see something, and there's also that M1nx page that I never figured out.

Are there actually branching story paths to the game? and are there separate endings?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Dizz posted:

So i've hosed around blind and am currently at the mindcrash hack and I'm honestly lost. I know that Tim's page requires something to see something, and there's also that M1nx page that I never figured out.

Are there actually branching story paths to the game? and are there separate endings?

I'll give you two little hints, you don't need to go to M1NX to stop the Mindcrash and where would a l33t h@ck3r keep his filez? It takes some poking around behind the scenes, consider who Son of Tim's "mother" probably is.

I'm bad at hints but whatever.

Also the answer to the first question is not really, and the answer to the second is sort of? The single ending can change, a little.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

BaDandy posted:

That was it! Thanks!

What a cool game. I of course had to get the Chowder Man album on Spotify as soon as I could.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Grapplejack posted:

Question: Do you love america? Do you love freedom? More importantly, do you love and support everyone's favorite cartoon private eye, GUMSHOE GOOPER???

Show your pride and love of of gumshoe gooper by getting the ALL NEW gumshoe gooper gang tag! (100hc for image)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

I'll give you two little hints, you don't need to go to M1NX to stop the Mindcrash and where would a l33t h@ck3r keep his filez? It takes some poking around behind the scenes, consider who Son of Tim's "mother" probably is.

I'm bad at hints but whatever.

Also the answer to the first question is not really, and the answer to the second is sort of? The single ending can change, a little.

Thanks, managed to put myself into a coma, or something, and now I'm doing LaF stuff

How the hell am I supposed to get leads for the Egyptian eye stuff? I was told Adrian might have one somewhere, but I couldn't find any in relation to him, and i've been combing other pages in different dates as well and nothing. Are the Swirls and cavemen artwork related?

I also am stumped on how I should Find the truth about Dylan. My only lead about that is the Beefbrain shield but I couldn't find anything about M1nx besides that page requiring a password

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Dizz posted:

How the hell am I supposed to get leads for the Egyptian eye stuff? I was told Adrian might have one somewhere, but I couldn't find any in relation to him, and i've been combing other pages in different dates as well and nothing. Are the Swirls and cavemen artwork related?

you can safely ignore this one for now

Dizz posted:

Tim's page requires something to see something

this should be your next priority.

hint: FLIST is your friend. sometimes people update theirs over time, too.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

dmboogie posted:

you can safely ignore this one for now

this should be your next priority.

hint: FLIST is your friend. sometimes people update theirs over time, too.

I've already done that i believe. I'm in the archive hell zone unless there's more there then im gonna check right now

e: nope. I was right in that the mindcrash stuff is already done with.

E2: never thought my leads would come from a christian website that says pokemon knockoffs are the devil. Now I just need to find evidence that
Dylan is an rear end in a top hat

Dizz fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 27, 2019

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

fungus scene 4 lyfe

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

So, I recently managed to get some progress. I found the r3v3lation page from the channels, got the debug stuff, and found the leaky piping stuff. I submitted 3 things to Sam but she implies that there should be some medical info somewhere? I still haven't found any leads that would give me access to the M1nx stuff. Tim threatens to leak their info again, but I can't even find the previous files for that.

e: finally finished it. what a beautiful game.

E: Wait, did Tiffany accidentally foreshadow her own death with her story?

Dizz fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 29, 2019

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I was avoiding reading anything about this game to avoid spoilers until I finished it just now and wow, what a ride. this game is fantastic and and managed to go from hilarious to uncomfortably, depressingly familiar without feeling incongruous. legitimately a really bittersweet development and conclusion. parts of it did feel aimless when some of the clues went over my head and I just kinda wandered around for awhile, but I was hooked for the whole last quarter of the game.

The archive section surprised me (besides being a great twist) with how many pages I had missed which only seem to be findable through searching or links, like I only found the bee page because outlaw pointed me at someone with a name I hadn't seen before. I only found how to access a whole lot of things like m1nx during the archive section so that opened up a whole new dimension to the game which had been there the whole time. and it was really cool to be able to snap between dates and see how many little stories develop and how much foreshadowing there is to the mindcrash, which I of course ignored because it looks like another beefbrain thing.

What a game. Here's my favorite thing.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
hypno--lowtax is a pretty good source

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

So I finished the game a while back and loved it - loved it so much, I bought it for a friend of mine who just finished it herself, and chatting about it, she brought up kind of a plot hole. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, and the functional answer is probably 'because it's a video game', but why didn't re3koning go public with the Hypnospace health studies? He did on the Hypnospace forums (and got CHIME'd to all hell), but he had external backups of the data (presumably so he could access it on some non-HypnOS platform later?), so couldn't he have gone to the cops or the news as a whistleblower? We were talking about why that didn't happen - things like re3koning is a hacker tangentially related to Tim, so it could be a bad look to associate with someone vilified in the public eye or even become an accessory to the crime in the court of public opinion, or that they just Don't Like Cops/News, or the news story itself was kind of a one-shot wonder and Hypnospace/sleeptime computing died out shortly after the story broke and no one cared enough to revisit the story, but to the best of my knowledge, there isn't any text supporting these, unless I missed something.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

My assumption is that They didn't want their name to be revealed. They were a hacker, which would mean authorities would want to confiscate their stuff and interrogate them in hopes of ratting out other hackers for criminal activities.

Also I just realised why ____ZANE____ got their page hacked. It was because He got caught sexually harassing Tiffany, and I guess Tim didn't like that.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Did CyberworldZ survive into the modern age? Or did sleeptime services in general die off?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sounds like they both died off

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

They probably both died off due to better sleeptime services.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Line Feed posted:

Did CyberworldZ survive into the modern age? Or did sleeptime services in general die off?

Heh Cyberworldzzz that's clever

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's probably like geocities and angelfire: both popular, both offering slightly different versions of the same service, both now dead as poo poo.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah but the whole thing about it basically stopping you from actually sleeping while using it, which is widely considered in the medical field as Really Fuckin Bad, is several levels worse than most "didn't take off" services and is probably cause for all sleeptime tech to be shuttered down immediately in the public eyes and then worked on behind the scenes by the goverment and stuff

Geocities and Angelfire caused brain rot through content alone so maybe it's not so different v:shobon:v

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

Line Feed posted:

I imagine it got widely discredited in the public eye as unsafe post-Mindcrash and maybe even banned entirely, unless it reaches a point where the adverse medical effects/risks can be overcome and even after that, it'd be a really loving hard sell with popular perceptions and whatnot

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Songbearer posted:

Yeah but the whole thing about it basically stopping you from actually sleeping while using it, which is widely considered in the medical field as Really Fuckin Bad, is several levels worse than most "didn't take off" services and is probably cause for all sleeptime tech to be shuttered down immediately in the public eyes and then worked on behind the scenes by the goverment and stuff

Geocities and Angelfire caused brain rot through content alone so maybe it's not so different v:shobon:v

yeah, while it would have been nice for the game to make an offhand reference to what exactly is the state of sleeptime in the present or what happened to it after 1999 if the mindcrash caused it to permanently die across the board, my assumption was that cyberworldz and any other potential technologies got ruined pretty quickly by the mindcrash sparking other (non-commissioned) studies to be done on their effects. I think the main question is how much of the issues with sleeptime besides the mindcrash are inherent to it, and how much of it is just dylan merchant's lovely coding on hypnospace specifically.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

lore question:

Was Zane's girlfriend real and sharing his headband (hence why they have the same headband ID), or was she made up by him?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

BattleMaster posted:

lore question:

Was Zane's girlfriend real and sharing his headband (hence why they have the same headband ID), or was she made up by him?

Made up. Corey does the same thing as well to reflect that both of them are as bad as each other - I think Corey spoofs his though but I can't recall. They both go after Tiff so I bet the "breakups" were to backpedal on their lies so they couldn't get called out.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 6, 2019

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I can't wait to see whatever goon-made zones appear when the workshop is opened. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
There needs to be a sprawling Time Cube parody because that's like peak late 90s internet.