Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
long story short terranigma is a good example of why enemies probably shouldn't have a defense stat unless 0 damage plinking is part of your core design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It depends, if your game allows you to wander all around and you make it clear "hitting for 0 means too underleveled/weak" it can be ok.

In a linear ARPG you done hosed up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of games have RPG elements that really don't need to.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, but if games took out RPG elements people would notice how boring most of them are, and it's easier to make a dumb skinner box than actually design something interesting. You can probably thank the immense pressure from gamers/the industry for every game to be 50+ hours long now for that.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I don’t give a gently caress what anyone says the airboat section of Half Life 2 was fun.

I enjoyed the first fiveteen minutes of it. The rest eight hours though....

The pacing in Half Life 2 is just weird to me. The ant lion level is similar, imo. It's a fun concept for the first three or four encounters, but after what felt to me like two hours (yeah, I'm greatly exaggerating here) it just wanted it to be over.

It's such a strange game in my book...so many really cool and good things, but repeated so often that they got on my nerves. I really, really want to like HL2 as much as I did HL1, but I somehow can't. Not talking about the episodes of course, but the main game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of games have RPG elements that really don't need to.

i don't mind rpg elements in actiony game but they have a specific role in the gameplay: there are players who might not be able to hack it on skill alone, and that's fine, the rpg elements are there to let them tune their handicap. alternatively, there are players who enjoy a numerical advantage and will take it whenever possible, and that's equally valid.

but if you just tack it on for your diablo loot system to keep players in a skinner box loop, or if you use it as a weird gating design crutch, that's not so good

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ideally an rpg system adds complexity and choices as the game goes on and you gain competency at the systems, when they go badly you just end up being gated by progression and you have to waste time to progress your character to deal with the content.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
As for Mortal Kombat they got the simple costumes and stages right the first time (and maybe in part two as well). Everything could have worked just as well in a cheesy 70's or 80's movie. Then we got ninjas with hockey masks. In its latest iteration characters are again weirdly overdesigned like off-brand superheroes or something.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A bit funny given the DC crossover and that they're made by WB Games now iirc.

Though overdesigned edgy ninjas was kinda the whole 90s aesthetic that MK revelled in from the start.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

In TYOOL 2019, some multiplayer games should still have bots, because bots are cool.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though overdesigned edgy ninjas was kinda the whole 90s aesthetic that MK revelled in from the start.

Yeah, I feel like, when MkII came out, 80s ninjas were cool by virtue of being kinda poo poo, but owning it. By the time 3 came out though, that was more like a cool retro aesthetic, so being kinda poo poo and 90s but owning it was more MK. Like it's always existed in it's own weird world that totally skirts the line between self aware and not.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Theyre Lin Kuei, not ninjas!!!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm playing through Black Flag right now and every once in a while I'm reminded that this is still an Assassin's Creed game and it's dragging the game down for me and making me wish I was playing Sid Meier's Pirates! instead.

How is it 2019 and a game released in 2004 is STILL the best pirate game around?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
My coworkers are all really into Sea of Thieves. No idea if it's good but it sounds fun the way they talk about it.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Black flag is a pretty sweet pirate game tbh, it’s just buried in an awful assassins creed framework

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

internet celebrity posted:

My coworkers are all really into Sea of Thieves. No idea if it's good but it sounds fun the way they talk about it.

i played it not long after it came out and it was very boring. i heard they added some stuff to do more recently though. but black flag is definitely a better pirate game

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fallout 2 is the last Fallout with funny and likeable NPCs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The goon who wrote the "dialogue" for Ulysses should be banned. From everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I liked Raul the ghoul. Like a lovable grumpy Mexican uncle for hire.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

i'd like fallout 2 a lot more if i could just skip all the combat. Every animation takes so long and at the beginning you just miss and miss and miss

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

i'd like fallout 2 a lot more if i could just skip all the combat. Every animation takes so long and at the beginning you just miss and miss and miss

It would be better if it was better. Also without the 4 000 000 000 lovely bugs.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

But but but the cool blood effects? :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Counterpoint: the only good thing about New Vegas were the funny and likeable NPCs

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I liked Fallout 2 and am glad I got to play it as long and obsessively as I did.

I’m sure I would have a hard time going back now though, not that I wouldn’t revel in the nostalgia for awhile.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Counterpoint: the only good thing about New Vegas were the funny and likeable NPCs

Sure sure but they weren't nearly as funny and/or likeable.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
So is Fallout 2 the last Fallout game with funny and likeable NPCs or not?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout 4 is the last fallout with npcs

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Telltale games may give the illusion of choice and nothing you do has a major impact on the story, but they are still fun games.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

bradzilla posted:

Telltale games may give the illusion of choice and nothing you do has a major impact on the story, but they are still fun games.

It's fun to get wasted, make all your characters say/do the worst things, and then laugh at the aftermath. I don't know how anyone has fun playing those games sober or seriously.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

fallout 1 was really good and fallout 3 is mostly good but i have no idea how fallout 2 is because the intro loving sucks on toast

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

2house2fly posted:

So is Fallout 2 the last Fallout game with funny and likeable NPCs or not?

The Fallout 2 party NPC bartender with a heart condition didn’t have anything other than a generic NPC body, no talking head animation, and boxes of dialogue had far more characterization than any character from Fallout 4 (including the PC).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tales from the Borderlands was better than it had any right to be.

I still like the whole thing of playing basically a character who'd be an NPC in another game but has their own adventure and perspective within the bounds and trappings of a different genre pretty interesting.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

fallout 1 was really good and fallout 3 is mostly good but i have no idea how fallout 2 is because the intro loving sucks on toast

Our champion must go out to save us on a epic quest
but first,
To the temple of ants with him!

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 25, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

bradzilla posted:

Most games don't even give you the illusion of choice so it's still an improvement :shrug:

Choice ain't a thing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No choice but to play bad games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Most games don't even give you the illusion of choice so it's still an improvement :shrug:

Choice ain't a thing.

choice in games is overrated because you're still constrained by the developer's vision and ability or lack thereof to create a meaningful alternative route, and i'm gonna level with you that takes so much resources for so little return that it's never worth it

better not to have choice in games at all and just make whatever the gently caress kind of railroad you want, at least you can make something compelling that way

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah pretty much. Same applies to traditional tabletop RPGs imo. The only good choice is whether you shoot bad guy A or bad guy B first, you can't just walk away from the plot unless it's basically Minecraft and has no storyline to begin with.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

choice in games is overrated because you're still constrained by the developer's vision and ability or lack thereof to create a meaningful alternative route, and i'm gonna level with you that takes so much resources for so little return that it's never worth it

Go play Age of Decadence

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oooh, a discussion about the illusion of choice in video games! You should all go check out The Stanley Parable. It sounds pretentious, but by the end of all my playthroughs I really loved every inch of it, it's really well done. Don't spoil it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

kenny was a liability from the very beginning and lol if you saved his crazy rear end in ttg walking dead