Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Grump posted:

Is Wordpress still the go-to for freelance developers or are more minimal libs like Gatsby replacing it?

I can't speak for others, but I am extremely hot for Django/Wagtail. I can do some pretty powerful things on the backend, and the editing experience is decent for the client while still restricting them from fuckups rather robustly. The time spent setting up the hosting properly is negligible in comparison to the hours I previously spent wrestling Wordpress into doing something non-obvious.

It's a bit like sandblasting a soup cracker for basic stuff, but you never end up running into that One Weird Request you just can't accomplish with the tools at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ruggan posted:

You could also write some complicated css that targets the same elements the library creates - for example, in your example:

.ui.icon.input>input { border-radius: 0px; }

That's exactly what I was trying to avoid. God damnit.

Oh well it's a tiny site I guess I could customize a little bit, but that kind of defeats the purpose of Semantic UI in my mind.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Furism posted:

That's exactly what I was trying to avoid. God damnit.

Oh well it's a tiny site I guess I could customize a little bit, but that kind of defeats the purpose of Semantic UI in my mind.

Did a little digging - looks like if you can apply the non-rounded edge globally, you can use theming:

https://github.com/Semantic-Org/Semantic-UI/issues/2130

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ruggan posted:

Did a little digging - looks like if you can apply the non-rounded edge globally, you can use theming:

https://github.com/Semantic-Org/Semantic-UI/issues/2130

Perfect! Will look into this. You're my hero of the day.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
This is delightful https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/23/hertz_accenture_lawsuit/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
32 million for a website

Is this a case of "we're gonna go with this company even though everyone else bid way less because my sister's husband's brother in law owns the company and it's totally not sketchy" or is it a "lol lets see how much we can scam of out them?"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"They have all those giant wall-sized ads in the San Jose airport which make vague airy promises but don't say anything about what they actually do, so partnering with them must be what big serious companies do!"

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

32 million for a website

Is this a case of "we're gonna go with this company even though everyone else bid way less because my sister's husband's brother in law owns the company and it's totally not sketchy" or is it a "lol lets see how much we can scam of out them?"

“Half of our board of directors is on their board.” Most likely. So basically, yes. :capitalism:

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

One of those big consulting firms. I'm from the DC area; it's full of them. They recruit guys directly from college who have generic degrees to be consultants or analysts. Not sure what they do. I think a lot of it is knowing their way around the Federal acquisitions process, then subcontracting work out to smaller companies.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Guess this explains why my inbox has been inundated with messages from Accenture recruiters over the past month or so. Lots of heads must have rolled.

There are definitely some boneheaded moments in here from Accenture (only mobile and desktop sites in TYOOL 2019? :doh:), but a project this botched always has guilty parties on both sides.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dominoes posted:

One of those big consulting firms. I'm from the DC area; it's full of them. They recruit guys directly from college who have generic degrees to be consultants or analysts. Not sure what they do. I think a lot of it is knowing their way around the Federal acquisitions process, then subcontracting work out to smaller companies.

On my planet these companies are full of people with math, physic, statistic degrees, they work maybe 9 or more hours. Work is done by buying smart people for cheap and overworking / rushing to the end. The result is probably weighted down with a lot of technical debts and is unmaintainable.

They train these people to become cultist, brainwashing them that they work for the best company of the world, making they feel bad if they are the first to exit the office to go back home. Smart overworked people exploited to death. Bill by the hour to produce a huge margin.

People that smart enough change to different type of companies.

I have never worked in these places, I am just repeating what I have heard about them.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Guess this explains why my inbox has been inundated with messages from Accenture recruiters over the past month or so. Lots of heads must have rolled.

There are definitely some boneheaded moments in here from Accenture (only mobile and desktop sites in TYOOL 2019? :doh:), but a project this botched always has guilty parties on both sides.

Hertz's guilt is their ignorance. They royally hosed up by letting Accenture also be the project managers and lead them around by their dicks. If I've learned one thing its: don't let the fox guard the chicken coop. They should have hired a separate firm (obviously not recommended by Accenture) to do the project management and possibly the acceptance testing to keep any contractor under a tight leash.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Dominoes posted:

They've got an office in my city & they took a few people (mid-level devs) from one of my old workplaces when they were on one of their hiring rounds. Obviously experiences are different for different people, and it's a huge company, but all the people I knew left within 9 months after doing absolutely nothing for that entire time period. They were put onto teams that were attached to gov contracts. The teams were about 2:1 project managers:devs. And they just sat on their arses. Seemed absolutely bizarre to me, but Accenture seems to be an entity built to generate cash from tendering, so hooray for parasitic capitalism I guess, watch those taxes at work

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you've got the cash and the compliance dept to help you pass FedRamp, there's plenty of money to be made doing lovely work or no work at all

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Whats the easiest way to dynamically generate pages based on a template from a flat database of info? For example I have 200,000 rows X 60 columns of data on flowers in different regions and want to up my SEO for my flower-sales website by generating thousands of pages about flowers in different cities and states. (e.g. a page about Flower A in Florida, Flower B in Florida, etc.) I feel like there's probably already a pretty good solution for this, but I couldn't find a mostly all-in-one solution.

For background, I'm okay at python and not very useful at anything else, but I'll learn whatever to get it done.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

CarForumPoster posted:

Whats the easiest way to dynamically generate pages based on a template from a flat database of info? For example I have 200,000 rows X 60 columns of data on flowers in different regions and want to up my SEO for my flower-sales website by generating thousands of pages about flowers in different cities and states. (e.g. a page about Flower A in Florida, Flower B in Florida, etc.) I feel like there's probably already a pretty good solution for this, but I couldn't find a mostly all-in-one solution.

For background, I'm okay at python and not very useful at anything else, but I'll learn whatever to get it done.

Something like Flask could potentially be pretty good for you. It's very simple to understand and write (it's just a Python library) and the documentation is great (check out the tutorial). If I understand your needs correctly, then all you need is a html template and then a few lines of Python code with Flask to dynamically get info about a flower from your database and pass it into the template.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I wouldn't use Flask or anything like that.

This doesn't sound like any sort of dynamic data.

I'd just come up with an HTML template, then write a simple script to generate an HTML file for each flower, then slap that up on some static hosting somewhere.

For templating you could use jinja, or roll your own if the pages are simple enough.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

What's the simplest option for hosting multiple sites with Node? Is it time for me to figure out what the hell Nginx is?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

What's the simplest option for hosting multiple sites with Node? Is it time for me to figure out what the hell Nginx is?

It is always a good time to figure out what nginx is and how can it help you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Ngnix is good and my friend, even though I'm probably not using it 100% properly.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I got frozen in a cavern, but after a recent earthquake my body was released, and I defroze from the block of ice where I was trapped.

After checking the internet I found this thing, ELK, the elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana stack. Looks like something that can help many of my ice-age era problems, so I tried to install it, then make it parse apache error log files. It ended freezing the whole computer.

It does things I need, promise things I want, perfect things I desire and connect with things I already did. A crossroad that I seems destined to visit.

What the people opinion on this? Does this need his own separate machine? Can be it integrated on a application in a lightweight way?

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
It's a pretty well traveled road, and yes, you want to allocate some sort of dedicated resources to it.

Also checkout FluentD.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
If I use semantic-ui-react and semantic-ui-css, is there anything I have to do in my webpack config to make sure the CSS is grabbed during the build process? I used to use a static version of the CSS (directly referencing it in the HTML), thought it'd be better to make it part of the packages (so as to keep it up-to-date) and now everything is broken :smith:

Edit: I did add import 'semantic-ui-css/semantic.min.css' in my index.tsx file

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tei posted:

I got frozen in a cavern, but after a recent earthquake my body was released, and I defroze from the block of ice where I was trapped.

After checking the internet I found this thing, ELK, the elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana stack. Looks like something that can help many of my ice-age era problems, so I tried to install it, then make it parse apache error log files. It ended freezing the whole computer.

It does things I need, promise things I want, perfect things I desire and connect with things I already did. A crossroad that I seems destined to visit.

What the people opinion on this? Does this need his own separate machine? Can be it integrated on a application in a lightweight way?

ELK is good stuff (it can get pretty heavy depending on how much data your'e feeding it).

An easier option could be one of the services like papertrail, loggly, etc.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Funking Giblet posted:

Also checkout FluentD.
Yeah my understanding is that modern installations use FluentD in containerized environments instead of Logstash, because it's easier to set up, especially in Kubernetes.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
WebSockets seem pretty popular these days but it always felt like a very low-level tool that needs to be wrapped in a library in order to truly offer good business value for app developers, without reinventing all sorts of wheels (retry logic, security, etc etc).

Is there some industry standard higher level library on top of WebSockets that serves such a function? I can certainly find libraries that use WebSockets but none seem to be very widely used. socket.io seems the most popular but also rather unmaintained and I am not entirely sure that its feature set really offers that much useful value. Am I missing something?

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 1, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Funking Giblet posted:

Also checkout FluentD.

*checks FluentD*

Oohh... this looks better than what I saw with ELK. But probably can still connect to Kibana, perhaps?. The layer generating the logs is pretty thin and dumb-proff, that is what I need. I like.

Thanks everyone for all the answers!.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

EssOEss posted:

WebSockets seem pretty popular these days but it always felt like a very low-level tool that needs to be wrapped in a library in order to truly offer good business value for app developers, without reinventing all sorts of wheels (retry logic, security, etc etc).

Is there some industry standard higher level library on top of WebSockets that serves such a function? I can certainly find libraries that use WebSockets but none seem to be very widely used. socket.io seems the most popular but also rather unmaintained and I am not entirely sure that its feature set really offers that much useful value. Am I missing something?

I created a few years ago at my university a protocol called Woopsa which works pretty well. It's not websockets-based but uses a kind of blocking GET request and allows you in turn to very easily publish an entire object structure, including publish/subscribe. It's now maintained by the company owned by my ex-professor.

https://www.woopsa.org

Just make sure to use my fork as I corrected a bug, and they haven't pulled my request yet.
https://github.com/woopsa-protocol/Woopsa/pull/41

Not an industry standard but it's in the "works as it should, doesn't need much more work" stage.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

EssOEss posted:

microsoft's signalr is the most widely used library I've seen that uses websockets (although it can use other modes such as server sent events and long polling if websockets don't work.)

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Weird browser bug: Chrome (and only chrome) loads my page then promptly jumps to about :blank without any warning, network error or explanation. It's not public but I could try to make a reproducer that is. It's an Aurelia powered site but googling finds nothing.

Maybe it's this but I have no idea what would be triggering it.

Is there a way to breakpoint chrome when window.location changes?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Harik posted:

Weird browser bug: Chrome (and only chrome) loads my page then promptly jumps to about :blank without any warning, network error or explanation. It's not public but I could try to make a reproducer that is. It's an Aurelia powered site but googling finds nothing.

Maybe it's this but I have no idea what would be triggering it.

Is there a way to breakpoint chrome when window.location changes?

I don't know.

Have you tried to debug a chrome from a different chrome using the remote debug option?

Interesting bug.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Tei posted:

I don't know.

Have you tried to debug a chrome from a different chrome using the remote debug option?

Interesting bug.
And of course a site to reproduce it doesn't have the bug, which means I get to start dragging in libraries one at a time until I find it. Yay.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

All I can think to do is register onBeforeUnload and set a breakpoint inside the handler

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Harik posted:

And of course a site to reproduce it doesn't have the bug, which means I get to start dragging in libraries one at a time until I find it. Yay.
:lol: forever I'm the worst:
code:
let wss = window.location.protocol = 'https:' ? 'wss://' : 'ws://';
Firefox blindly ignores location.protocol being changed under it but chrome freaks the gently caress out.

Assignment not being := was one of the fundamental fuckups of C that way too many other languages copied.

Harik fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 1, 2019

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Furism posted:

If I use semantic-ui-react and semantic-ui-css, is there anything I have to do in my webpack config to make sure the CSS is grabbed during the build process? I used to use a static version of the CSS (directly referencing it in the HTML), thought it'd be better to make it part of the packages (so as to keep it up-to-date) and now everything is broken :smith:

Edit: I did add import 'semantic-ui-css/semantic.min.css' in my index.tsx file

Self-quoting because I realize this wasn't necessarily very clear. But it's driving me crazy.

This is a React app, I use TypeScript and yarn. I installed semantic-ui-react and semantic-ui-css (because I don't really care about customizing the theme, it's a small personal website). I also added the "import "semantic-ui-css/semantic.min.css"" statement in my index.tsx file. That's all the documentation says you have to do. But that seems weird to me because then there's no CSS reference in the index.html file under wwwroot. Since I know gently caress all about packaging, I asusmed that the CSS must be bundled in the bundle.js file? If not, then there's a problem because semantic.min.css isn't copied to there for me to reference in the html file. Is there something I should be doing in my webpack config? Right now all it does for CSS is this:

code:
{
    test: /\.css$/,
    use: ['style-loader', 'css-loader', 'resolve-url-loader']
},
I know it doesn't work because I can clearly see there's no CSS applied to the html elements. The React bits work just fine, I can operate the website and all, but it's just default HTML.

The crazy part is that, as the saying goes, It Works On My Machine (tm) ! This is what it looks like on my dev PC:

And this is how it looks like on my server:

They all pull from the same repo and from the same branch. I build everything from the server using the same commands (yarn install etc). This makes no sense to me! I'm sure there's something utterly stupid I must be doing but I have no idea what.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Furism posted:

And this is how it looks like on my server:

They all pull from the same repo and from the same branch. I build everything from the server using the same commands (yarn install etc). This makes no sense to me! I'm sure there's something utterly stupid I must be doing but I have no idea what.

I would suspect your build process isn't putting the css in the right location

The Fool fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 2, 2019

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Well, I found the root cause. Turns out my nginx configuration was a little too secure:

code:
add_header Content-Security-Policy "default-src https: 'unsafe-eval' 'self'; font-src 'self'; style-src 'self'";

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ohhh yeah that poo poo :suicide:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

e: nm

kedo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to make a press kit wrapper that links to files on a usb stick. The original one was made in HTML and then I made one in bootstrap but I really don’t like how vanilla it looks. Do you guys know of any other language or platform that can run stuff offline off a usb stick?