Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i enacted the gender equality law and was able to replace all but 1 of my people with way higher statted women (as sparta). rather op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Gort posted:

Which resolutions?

1600×900 is the tallest one that doesn't
extend past my monitor in of itself, the Senate in Republics and the 'move pop' windows both end up extending past the bottom of the window.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also a weird thing in Epirus. Pyrrhus's sister isn't his sister.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

reignonyourparade posted:

1600×900 is the tallest one that doesn't
extend past my monitor in of itself, the Senate in Republics and the 'move pop' windows both end up extending past the bottom of the window.

Had this happen to me. In the options menu, under interface, there is a thing called "GUI Scaling" that should adjust it for you.

Now my problem is the game crashing when an event pop up. :shepicide:

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Randarkman posted:

I've played about 12 years as Rome, and Phrygia has already exploded in my game.

Hmm... they promptly got their shot pushed in after a few years

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Played for an hour and then sent in a refund request. Frame rate is a perfect 60fps when I'm paused, but as soon as I unpause it nosedives, even on lowest settings. Beside that, the UI is extremely bad, there's a million different stats and values that feel completely meaningless (this was a serious problem in EU:Rome), and the overall game feels completely directionless beyond "conquer everyone around you."

Can't believe we got this instead of Vicky 3.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Can someone explain families to me? Why do I want them happy? Why would I want to collect more families from my conquests?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh also there's only like two or three music tracks. In my hour of play I heard the same track at least five times.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Davincie posted:

i enacted the gender equality law and was able to replace all but 1 of my people with way higher statted women (as sparta). rather op

Kassandra run looking good. Need enatic and not just cognatic though! :colbert:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

canepazzo posted:

Can someone explain families to me? Why do I want them happy? Why would I want to collect more families from my conquests?

haven't got a chance to play yet, but from streams i believe the idea is that you can use them to administrate same culture/religion areas for less tension with the locals

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s weird that the tutorial for Rome doesn’t tell you anything about how the senate works.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I've had the game open for less than a minute and gotta give props to whoever did the sound effects when hovering over the menu options.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The game runs pretty well which is nice

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
it's a shame they wasted their most beautiful map yet on such a boring game

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah the more I play the less sure I am about this. For me, everything is working fine in technical terms, runs well and no crashes and so forth, but there's an absolute lack of direction, and I'm baffled at the apparent absence of tutorial-style objectives in regular play, the seeming lack of almost any ambitions from AI characters, and the same for political parties. I'm Carthage and I have basically zero objectives, except for conquering a chunk of Iberia in order to enact one of my decisions. Nothing about trying to control the Med, nothing bringing me into conflict with the expanding Rome, or securing Sicily, nothing about whether and how to integrate or otherwise deal with my assorted tributaries, etc. etc..

Why is the Military party not demanding wars or expanded armies and navies? Why is my Civic party not trying to build administrative and government buildings over the objections of my Merchants asking for harbors and markets and the Populists wanting granaries? For all the fuss being made about characters they sure seem easy to keep on board. Same with pops, I have little idea what they're actually for other than wanting Citizens for research, and there doesn't seem to be much reason to actually give a poo poo about their culture or religion.

For that matter why the heck are there only four building types?! What about little things like stadia and amphitheateres, temples, bridges and roads, baths, forums, basilica, aqueducts? Like, the architecture and civic buildings of the ancient world are kind of central to our modern view of them. I know we're not here for Caeser III but it's kind of bonkers that there are four generic buildings, and ones which seem to be universal across all cultures and types of society.

What's here is fine, as far as it goes, but that doesn't seem to be very far. Too late for me to ask for a refund, and I probably wouldn't anyway, but this definitely seems to be one that's going to need a couple of DLCs and big patches. And I say that as someone who happily put a couple hundred hours into vanilla Stellaris.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 25, 2019

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

canepazzo posted:

Scorned families will lower loyalty to you for everyone in the family. You might want to collect more families from conquest to get people with higher skills into position you need.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Maybe I'm misunderstanding trade but why can I import iron to Carthage from foreign country and immediately gain all the benefits but cannot likewise import iron from my own province in Spain?

marxismftw
Apr 16, 2010

I'm playing an Armenian game and I'm having fun.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sekenr posted:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding trade but why can I import iron to Carthage from foreign country and immediately gain all the benefits but cannot likewise import iron from my own province in Spain?

Do you have a surplus? You can only trade surpluses iirc.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

marxismftw posted:

I'm playing an Armenian game and I'm having fun.

I also appear to be having fun so far. If anyone has any tips for what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.

e: wrong quote

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wolfechu posted:

I also appear to be having fun so far. If anyone has any tips for what I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate it.

e: wrong quote

I'm not aiming to poo poo on people having fun! I'm glad for those who are!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah the more I play the less sure I am about this. For me, everything is working fine in technical terms, runs well and no crashes and so forth, but there's an absolute lack of direction, and I'm baffled at the apparent absence of tutorial-style objectives in regular play, the seeming lack of almost any ambitions from AI characters, and the same for political parties. I'm Carthage and I have basically zero objectives, except for conquering a chunk of Iberia in order to enact one of my decisions. Nothing about trying to control the Med, nothing bringing me into conflict with the expanding Rome, or securing Sicily, nothing about whether and how to integrate or otherwise deal with my assorted tributaries, etc. etc..

Why is the Military party not demanding wars or expanded armies and navies? Why is my Civic party not trying to build administrative and government buildings over the objections of my Merchants asking for harbors and markets and the Populists wanting granaries? For all the fuss being made about characters they sure seem easy to keep on board. Same with pops, I have little idea what they're actually for other than wanting Citizens for research, and there doesn't seem to be much reason to actually give a poo poo about their culture or religion.

For that matter why the heck are there only four building types?! What about little things like stadia and amphitheateres, temples, bridges and roads, baths, forums, basilica, aqueducts? Like, the architecture and civic buildings of the ancient world are kind of central to our modern view of them. I know we're not here for Caeser III but it's kind of bonkers that there are four generic buildings, and ones which seem to be universal across all cultures and types of society.

What's here is fine, as far as it goes, but that doesn't seem to be very far. Too late for me to ask for a refund, and I probably wouldn't anyway, but this definitely seems to be one that's going to need a couple of DLCs and big patches. And I say that as someone who happily put a couple hundred hours into vanilla Stellaris.

The answer to all those questions is Johan, the same reason that the pops will forever have names that don't really make sense. The game is currently a huge blob of flavourless numbers which you strategically poke to make your numbers get bigger, I actually love this kind of gameplay but if you want a more structured game experience like EU4 is nowadays then yeah it's not going to satisfy.

I'm playing the Bosporan Kingdom and I maxed population growth and converted the gently caress out of the lovely heathens and eradicated their smelly culture in every province and holy poo poo look at those numbers go up :f5:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The senate is loving annoying to control/steer properly. I have no feedback on why it decides to vote yay or nay on an issue and it's really annoying to be forced to stay at peace in a game that has nothing fun to do while at said peace. Gonna restart as either a tribal or a monarchy.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s weird that the tutorial for Rome doesn’t tell you anything about how the senate works.

Yeah, can someone do a quick rundown on it? None of the youtube videos I've watched played as Rome, so I was kind of confused why sometimes I get tyranny on DoW, sometimes not; and apparently now I'm stuck with perpetual Populists in power?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

I'm not aiming to poo poo on people having fun! I'm glad for those who are!

Oh, I know. Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular :)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

mmkay posted:

Yeah, can someone do a quick rundown on it? None of the youtube videos I've watched played as Rome, so I was kind of confused why sometimes I get tyranny on DoW, sometimes not; and apparently now I'm stuck with perpetual Populists in power?

You get tyranny by doing an action the senate disproves of (look at the hands to the left of the actions). Basically only do those with a thumbs up if you want to avoid tyranny (which you do want to avoid).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

mmkay posted:

The senate needs to vote approval on Wars but I have no idea what effects it

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Seems like the game is good but kind of flavourless?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rome was refunded in a day.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So is this just the boring EU Rome game with more provinces, or is it actually worth the price?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

It might just be me, but this made me happy. I have no idea why this isn't standard on a Paradox launcher. As far as I'm aware, only CK2 does this as well.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

mmkay posted:

Party leader popularity effects the amount of seats they have if I'm remembering correctly. Also they don't vote in blocks apparently from the official tutorial video I skimmed through.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Great example of UI issues here. If multiple armies are in the same province, then all their counters clump up over each other. Your own army's counter doesn't even take priority over the stack. Selecting my army here was a pixel hunting nightmare.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So pops can die out - what happens if a city is emptied?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

canepazzo posted:

Probably becomes colonizable land. just a guess.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

canepazzo posted:

I think you have to recolonize it

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Great example of UI issues here. If multiple armies are in the same province, then all their counters clump up over each other. Your own army's counter doesn't even take priority over the stack. Selecting my army here was a pixel hunting nightmare.

For comparison, here's EU4:

It's still kind of the same thing, but the counters are small enough that they don't overlap.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Is there some sort of pop up that shows when someone joins a war? It’s kind of a pain to declare on someone not in an alliance or defensive pact and just have three other nations join in against you a few months in.

Also the AI sometimes just surrenders. I’m not sure what calculation it is using, sometimes they just full on surrender after one battle or when you take one province.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I haven't formed a solid opinion on gameplay yet, but the UI is a weird combination of extremely good ideas with some puzzling choices. Icons bunching up over each other is an issue.
The event art is really reminiscent of Osprey which I like.

I guess in general the design feels very 'euro boardgame' if that makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

The senate needs to vote approval on Wars but I have no idea what effects it

You can click the thumb symbol to get a rundown of support. The different factions will have somewhat different reasons, but ruler popularity and whether or not the ruler is a friend of a faction leader always has an impact. Try holding games or doing other things to become popular.

Anyway I have to agree with whoever said there's a resemblance to release Stellaris here. There's a bit more going on under the hood with the characters and such, but overall things feel a bit aimless in the same way.

I knew it going in but it's kind of amazing that they didn't do anything like EU4's mission or rivalry system in order to direct expansion and give the player clear goals and bring countries into conflict with each other. It feels like a massive throwback that Rome gets scripted events to give them free claims, essentially the result is the same, but it's only for certain countries, like Rome, and there's a lot less transparency and choice.

And a minor thing, notice how there's basically no available ambitions for rulers. Unless they have children. Kings are all content with life and republican rulers all want to become dictators. Reminds me of democratic mandates in Stellaris where there's actually a bunch of possibilities to script lots of them, but the game only shipped with two of them in the game (research or miming stations) with about 4 other ones incomplete and commented out.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 25, 2019