Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I suck at Enter the Gungeon. What am I doing wrong?

(I don't suck suck, like, I've gotten the first three Elder Rounds and I just killed the High Dragun for the first time, but I ain't great. Adding synergies has gone a long way for me because basically I want one good gun and a shitload of passive items.)

The only really specific question I have is "can I find secret rooms more easily?" Like how in Isaac it is always adjacent to maximally many rooms, but that's not the case here. And "should I bother with the Oubliette on an average run" because it requires lots of resources to get two spare keys to get in there.

The Oubliette is generally worth it.

I don't know how you get better though. The game's just hard af. I finally managed to unlock the Robot, but I doubt I'll ever be able to beat his past because he requires a real high level of dodging bullets.

For bosses, you can look at your dude and don't worry as much about where you're aiming. Not taking damage in the bosses is much more important than shooting them. For rooms though, you can't really focus on dodging exclusively like that. My runs usually become hopeless in the Level 4 and 5 rooms rather than the bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

For bosses, you can look at your dude and don't worry as much about where you're aiming.

Oh yeah: turn auto-aim on. imo there's no shame in it and it makes the game a whole lot more palatable, especially when you're using mouse+kb.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Stelas posted:

- check any treasure room. These seem to be quite likely to have a secret room attached, and the wall discoloration is easy to spot.
The what?!

(also, yeah, I mostly die to a constant barrage of getting hit on trash cause I suck, plus not knowing the floor 4 bosses cold yet, I've been trying to cut down on my dodge rolling)

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The what?!

(I've been trying to cut down on my dodge rolling)
this is the part that will help you most.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2019/04/news/whats-next-tales-majeyal-lot-and-then-some

quote:

Hello my minions!

Recently I was surprised to find some people wondering if Tales of Maj'Eyal was dead (as in not developed anymore). I was like "WTF??" because I knew it was not, quite the opposite in fact, but then I pondered some more and realized that I'm utterly bad at regularly communicating that fact! So let's try to improve on that with a Grand List Of What Is To Come (Possibly).

As usual I never give dates unless I'm sure. So always take this kind of things with a grain of salt, they may come in two days or two years :)

Release of patch 1.6 with huge changes

1.6 is the next free big (huge) patch for Tales of Maj'Eyal. I have already delayed it far too much as such it has grown into such a monster patch that I likely won't be able to list everything going in without forgetting many others. Still, here are a few of them:
Deep rework of early game balance, main goal being to reduce startup tediousness. This includes changes to difficulty, scaling, shops, drowning, items, ...
A ton of cosmetic options for all playable races (including the expansion ones). From many shades of skin colors, to haircuts, beards, tattoos, ...
Hugely improved NPC AI, smarter, better pathing, and so on. For MOAR GLORIOUS DEATHS!
Update of Doomed, Cursed, Wyrmics, Antimagic, Shadowblades, Prodigies, Corruptors, Reavers
Update to many randart powers and ego powers
A complete revision of runes, inscriptions and charms
Fixed bosses can now levelup in specific classes to keep the challenge up at higher levels/high difficulties
Revision of many debuffs
Melee weapon scaling revision to reign in on late game ultra high damage stupidity and buff early game low damage stupidity
A ton of misc changes, updates, revisions, ...
And the usual slew of bugfixes (and NEW bugs :) )

and a lot of other things, dang!

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Cogmind is 10% off on Steam this week:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/722730/Cogmind/

If you haven't picked it up yet you should really consider getting it - it's really one of the best modern roguelikes in development.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Can someone give a "before I play" for Synthetic? I have done a handful of runs, just looking for general advice.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Oh god an Afflicted rework and a major overhaul of the early grind? When this does come out, it's going to drag me right back into ToME4 for months, I just know it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can someone give a "before I play" for Synthetic? I have done a handful of runs, just looking for general advice.

I mostly only played the version before they doubled the number of classes, so some of this may be outdated, but most of it should hold I think.

Use your active items. The easiest way is to lead off the fights with them, so e.g. drop a stun grenade and then shoot them while they're stunned, or summon a turret to draw aggro while you kill things. Using actives well will reduce the amount of damage you take and therefore keep you alive.

The utility of summons are pretty much directly related to how much health they have and how willing they are to draw enemy attention. They can kill things, but that's not their primary purpose. I find the "summons a phasing cyborg" item to be worse than other summons mostly because the summon likes to take cover.

Prioritize extra movespeed if you can get it. This is mostly because of the jet boss' machinegun attack, but it's also really useful in general. After that I like to prioritize extra money, and then luck.

I mostly spend my money on item upgrades and buying the occasional item I know I like from past experience. In other words, I don't buy guns much at all. They're expensive, and most guns you find are good enough to be worth using.

Every non-boss level should have a bolt and a piece of the heart core, until you assemble them. So keep an eye out. The heart core in particular you want to finish ASAP mostly because you don't want to get it when your inventory is already full.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A Strange Aeon posted:

The basic pattern is "stick and move": move or dash a few steps, stop for a moment to aim, fire, and immediately move again. If you're getting damaged or overwhelmed, don't be afraid to just back the gently caress away and reset the fight. As with any RL, you want to keep the number of enemies you're fighting as small as possible and start every fight on your terms instead of theirs, preferably by blowing the most dangerous guy's head off.

A lot of weapons are kind of crap. :shrug: It's hard to make generalizations, but ARs are mostly great, SMGs are mostly bad, and while snipers and DMRs are fun to use they are worthless against bosses. Shotguns are a mixed bag; they're powerful but very dangerous to use.

Items are useful, but hard to remember to use. It's fine if you mostly just grab passive ones so you don't have to worry about them, but don't forget your heal or whatever's your default right click since they're generally impetant for your class.

The Lego planes are loving asshats; the key to beating them is to bait out their shield (by shooting them once and then kiting) and their taser shot (by dancing around). The goddamn rock-dropping crystal doodads in stage 3 are awful too; the best solution to those is to just run in circles and lay into them from a distance without ever stopping to aim.

There is no shame in dying to disco.

e: beaten, but our advice is nicely non-overlapping

megane fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 23, 2019

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Since we're on the subject, two quick questions about secret rooms in Gungeon:

1) Are the contents more valuable than a Master Round? I'm getting to the point where I earn them on floors 1 and 2 fairly consistently, but doing so takes up both my blanks.

2) I have yet to even see a secret room, and on a recent Hunter where I beat floor 1 with an extra blank I ran around crossbowing every wall right in the center, but didn't see any cracks appear. I also blanked the shop, but the room wasn't there either. Am I just missing the graphic, or do you have to actually shoot directly where the door will appear?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Since we're on the subject, two quick questions about secret rooms in Gungeon:

1) Are the contents more valuable than a Master Round? I'm getting to the point where I earn them on floors 1 and 2 fairly consistently, but doing so takes up both my blanks.

2) I have yet to even see a secret room, and on a recent Hunter where I beat floor 1 with an extra blank I ran around crossbowing every wall right in the center, but didn't see any cracks appear. I also blanked the shop, but the room wasn't there either. Am I just missing the graphic, or do you have to actually shoot directly where the door will appear?

1) Usually no. I'd say the average secret room is a brown chest. They can have super great rewards.

2) You have to shoot right where it will appear. That's in the center of walls in the treasure rooms, but it varies for all other rooms. I feel like they're more likely to spawn off the treasure rooms, the shop and the exit elevator room, but I don't have any proof of that.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

1) Usually no. I'd say the average secret room is a brown chest. They can have super great rewards.

2) You have to shoot right where it will appear. That's in the center of walls in the treasure rooms, but it varies for all other rooms. I feel like they're more likely to spawn off the treasure rooms, the shop and the exit elevator room, but I don't have any proof of that.

I can confirm the elevator exit room is sometimes where the secret room is however that is map dependant. if both of the chest rooms have 2 ways in/out and are surrounded by other rooms then that is the time its most likely the exit room

(its a very low chance to be there instead of a chest room though)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's not 100% of the time, but secret rooms are often denoted by a slight discoloration to the wall. It's difficult to see, especially on some tilesets, but I can spot it more easily in the treasure rooms because it's that much easier to compare to the rest of the room.

And yeah, definitely prioritize killing the boss + getting a master round first. They've made secret rooms better, I think - I often get 'brown chest + 3 pickups' - but there's still plenty of times where you just get a single heart or something.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, definitely prioritise getting the master round over getting the secret room. That said, if you find the secret room by shooting walls but you don't have a blank, it's worth buying one from the shop.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

just got to experience a quadruple loop in synthetik after the drops decided it was time to become the machine god of lasers (epilepsy warning? dunno). getting two red weapons was the most overpowered I've ever been, and getting all 3 space laser items at once to go with the laser cannon was a hoot.

The game seems to handle loops after the first one really weirdly. every single loop after the first one had just a single level and then the boss rush again. also, every time except the last, this one level had no enemies whatsoever except for the stationary emplacements. I've seen this happen occasionally in loop levels but I always assumed it was a bug and it was weird to happen so many times. Not much of a fan of repeatedly ending up at the same four bosses so quickly again either. overall I think loops really need to be redone in this game or perhaps the way it scales entirely, because the "stop and move" thing progressively disintegrates into straight up Nuclear Throne. But none of the game's challenges seem to involve loops from what I can tell, only beating the last boss above different difficulty %s, so I guess it's fine.

might be time to put the game on hold for awhile? I'm definitely never topping this one and I'm not very interested in trying when it's going to be 1 level and then all the bosses again over and over. I might write my thoughts on all the classes now that I've done the basic class challenge with all of them though. summary: they're all good except engineer.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
AIUI the loops are basically there to kill you, not to provide interesting new content. Which is a shame, but I can see as how it'd make balancing easier.

I'm sad about the engineer, because its equivalent was my favorite class from the original four. When they added the "DLC" that split the four classes into eight, it was the first one I tried and it is just such utter garbage.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Gungeon complaint: Ser Junkan is way too uncommon because one, blowing up chests is fun, and two, I love my lil' buddy. He's like one loving percent per chest what the hell, just nerf his damage but give me my lil' buddy more.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Xenomarine to v1.0 as yet another long and winding road project gets there~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/676830/Xenomarine/

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Gungeon complaint: Ser Junkan is way too uncommon because one, blowing up chests is fun, and two, I love my lil' buddy. He's like one loving percent per chest what the hell, just nerf his damage but give me my lil' buddy more.

I've 100% the game and all the DLC and have never seen him once. There's also 3 or 4 guns I've never seen once as well. Feels weird to put down a game after that many hours and still not see everything.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Is it good?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ExiledTinkerer posted:

That looks pretty cool, although parts of it look like they require a mouse.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

poemdexter posted:

I've 100% the game and all the DLC and have never seen him once. There's also 3 or 4 guns I've never seen once as well. Feels weird to put down a game after that many hours and still not see everything.
Not once? He's 20% to appear if you've never seen him, according to the wiki. I have definitely had him multiple times beyond that, even at 1% per junk it adds up if you're saving keys/out of keys/just like blowing up chests

(as for guns I guess you should spam Rainbow runs if you actually want to see them?)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The rainbow rules enforcement seems to snatch some of the items from broken chests. I'm not sure if ser junkan gets caught in that or not.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I'm fairly positive he gets snatched during Rainbow Runs.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
According to the wiki, he does not. Lies does not either, apparently.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
In fairness, I'm complaining about rainbow runs and not regular ones... but also he doesn't show up in regular runs, just let me have friendo :shobon:

edit: also, rainbow runs just count as normal clears for unlocking literally everything, right? That kinda owns.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Seeing that post prompted me to return to ToME development because at least 3 major things on the list are things I'm supposed to be doing!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

According to the wiki, he does not. Lies does not either, apparently.

Interesting. I've found him at least twice since the update during regular runs where I'm barely destroying chests but have never seen a single person find him during rainbow runs. That's RNG for ya; Bisnap has thousands of hours in EtG and has still never found a rainbow chest.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Razakai posted:

Seeing that post prompted me to return to ToME development because at least 3 major things on the list are things I'm supposed to be doing!

I hope your work ends up featured in the upcoming undead expansion, I'm still really looking forward to an updated Necromancer or (especially) Deathknight.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
Regarding the drawbacks to skills in the soldak games I am loving the mutation system in Din's Legacy where you get a random mutation every time the mutation bar fills up which can attach itself to your normal skills and render them way more powerful.Also a few pages back someone mentioned the problem of shopping etc taking too much time with the active nature of the games.You can do all your inventory/shopping/crafting/stash stuff while the game is paused.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Wait, Din's Legacy is out? Well, that's going to be my night right there.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ah Map posted:

Regarding the drawbacks to skills in the soldak games I am loving the mutation system in Din's Legacy where you get a random mutation every time the mutation bar fills up which can attach itself to your normal skills and render them way more powerful.Also a few pages back someone mentioned the problem of shopping etc taking too much time with the active nature of the games.You can do all your inventory/shopping/crafting/stash stuff while the game is paused.

(a) I wish I had known that a long time ago and
(b) the game should auto-pause then!

OutOfPrint posted:

Wait, Din's Legacy is out? Well, that's going to be my night right there.

Yeah, poo poo, I still haven't even played Zombasite.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Razakai posted:

wait a second, weren't you supposed to update Skirmishers? :thunk:

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/718590/Dark_Devotion/

This game seems reasonably fun so far. Like a much slower paced and chunkier Dead Cells that leans really hard into the Dark Souls aesthetic. Haven't gotten super far in yet but it seems okay.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Somebody let me know how the actual basic gameplay is in Din's Legacy. I've played Curse and Drox Operative but didn't like the actual fighting much.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ToxicFrog posted:

(a) I wish I had known that a long time ago and
(b) the game should auto-pause then!

Yeah, poo poo, I still haven't even played Zombasite.

The first thing you should do in a Soldak game is bind 'pause' to SPACE and use it reflexively.

Also Din's Legacy is still labeled as EA in Steam, and the core gameplay is probably about the same as with every other Soldak game, which is basically the 2.0 version of the game that came before it.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 26, 2019

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Zarick posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/718590/Dark_Devotion/

This game seems reasonably fun so far. Like a much slower paced and chunkier Dead Cells that leans really hard into the Dark Souls aesthetic. Haven't gotten super far in yet but it seems okay.

I've played a bit and I don't think the levels are even procedurally generated, are they? I like it a lot so far but it doesn't feel that roguelikey to me, other than the random equipment drops from your enemies.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I bounced off Zombasite when I last tried it, but in hindsight I probably would have enjoyed it more with these tutorial videos (even tho they were pre-release tuts). They're a bit longer than necessary, but they're much less of a system shock than the in-game help and flailing blindly.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjJu0baNBX8W0AWPrX_gt_-pz853yc75P

I'm not particularly interested in picking it back up myself, but are there any -good- video playthroughs?

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
The Soldak games are the only Diablolikes that I feel like I can enjoying playing Ironman. Picking a randomized class combo and the really varied starting quests and events make every game pretty different. It makes it so I don't mind starting over.

Are there any other action RPGs that feel that way that I've been missing?