Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

win7 is the new winxp

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-7-now-showing-end-of-support-warnings/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I use windows 10 all the time and I can't remember the last time I used a UWP app. I even installed the old calc.exe so I could avoid the lovely uwp one (which has a god drat splash screen)

UWP appears to be a total failure.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Amethyst posted:

I use windows 10 all the time and I can't remember the last time I used a UWP app. I even installed the old calc.exe so I could avoid the lovely uwp one (which has a god drat splash screen)

turn on your monitor and then don't sign

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
imagine being such a scrub that you actually use windows to do anything other than launch games :cawg:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Amethyst posted:

I use Alarms & Clock to set timers all the time.

Also, does something like Pocket Casts count? Basically a web view in an UWP container?

Edit: Oh, and Photos, of course. Way better than the old image viewer.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Apr 26, 2019

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so sony revealed their PS5 will use Zen 2 and Navi and Microsoft responded by saying the next Xbox will be more powerful. pretty bold claim, since clock speeds and CU counts have not been officially disclosed yet. however, if the next Xbox is a cloud streaming service, they basically have license to say whatever they want about how powerful it is. just more circumstantial evidence.

also, the Xbox One All Digital still has a SATA port and eject button inside. I wonder if they are trying to move unsold hardware by tearing out parts and lowering the price. they obviously didn’t spend any R&D to make this a sleeker device.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
fascinating

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

pram posted:

fascinating

shut the gently caress up

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it actually is p fascinating that the cd-drive-less model just has some empty space and the actual console fills out half the case.

imagine if they’d went and made the claims half the size of its original? now that’s innovation

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Amethyst posted:

shut the gently caress up

hmm are you not impressed with pleasure kevins analysis amethyst? are you going to threaten to kill him about it?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

pram posted:

hmm are you not impressed with pleasure kevins analysis amethyst? are you going to threaten to kill him about it?

I'm not impressed with you, pram. Nobody is.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

why are you so upset geez it's the Microsoft thread, why don't you throw a chair about it

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thats amethyst :razz: !!!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is Cygwin fully deprecated in favor of WSL on W10?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

no pleasure for amethyst :sad:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ms just killed support for all those sub $200 tablets idiots were buying a couple years back

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Why is May 2019 “1903”, why isn’t that “1905”?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
because that's when the build first came out on the fast ring probably

also microsoft can't count

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Literally angry about MS versioning numbers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

they won't notice since they were completely useless when new so it's not like not getting an update matters.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

So now that Windows takes over another 7 gigs of your drive I would love to see how much free space a brand new, fully patched 64GB Surface Go actually has.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

it actually is p fascinating that the cd-drive-less model just has some empty space and the actual console fills out half the case.

imagine if they’d went and made the claims half the size of its original? now that’s innovation

they probably have a surplus of S hardware and just want to get rid of it all before the next hardware revision

presumably they can keep using their stockpile of drives in the new consoles

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol notch is going straight down the ol' memory hole

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1122858484385636352

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hahahaa that owns

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

Hahaha, gently caress Notch.

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

They should replace his name with a thank-you to Zach Barth for inspiring minecraft.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

FMguru posted:

he's sure not getting invited to the movie premier either

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nobody comes over to his beverly hills mansion anymore. he had to eat all the m&ms from his dispensary alone :smith:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pram posted:

nobody comes over to his beverly hills mansion anymore. he had to eat all the m&ms from his dispensary alone :smith:
cant wait for notch to fall into a diabetic coma and not have his body found for weeks

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I won't be truly happy until I know for sure that he has lost every single penny of his 2.5 billion microsoft dollars on crypto scams or whatever

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
he’s gonna drop a billion to endow the UCLA Notch Institute of Race Science

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

what's with rich techie types and that sort of easy slide into racism, and semi-relatedly did jontron recover/improve or is he a lost cause

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SRQ posted:

what's with rich techie types and that sort of easy slide into racism
they were already racist they just decided they have gently caress you money

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

El_Elegante posted:

he’s gonna drop a billion to endow the UCLA Notch Institute of Race Science

dont give them ideas

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Endless Mike posted:

they were already racist they just decided they have gently caress you money

nah it's the corrupting influence of money that everyone believes they're immune to even after they've gotten the money and the corruption has fully set in

look to yospos for many, many people with money who believe they are immune for evidence

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Stymie posted:

nah it's the corrupting influence of money that everyone believes they're immune to even after they've gotten the money and the corruption has fully set in

look to yospos for many, many people with money who believe they are immune for evidence

good point. also recently referenced in another thread

Sagebrush posted:

One of the key experiments in the Berkeley wealth studies was having people play a rigged game of Monopoly where one player got to roll three dice and pick two, and received $400 every time around the board instead of 200

They would inevitably win, and then in post-game surveys they'd say that they felt they just played better than the rest

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its actually both in notch's case,* he was a poo poo before he got money & became worse after

* and im sure many others

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

notch is a walking parable about loneliness, video games and mental health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
why god, during the loneliest trials of my life, was there only one gamepad at the console