Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Harry Potter of all things is on point with this, and also it causes birth defects.

was it? it's been a minute since i read those books but i remember one of them had a girl sneak ron a love potion and it's just like, kinda depicted as a silly thing teenage girls do around valentine's day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Brother Entropy posted:

was it? it's been a minute since i read those books but i remember one of them had a girl sneak ron a love potion and it's just like, kinda depicted as a silly thing teenage girls do around valentine's day

I think it's revealed in the last book that Voldemort's mom was under the influence of a love potion at the time of his conception and it's the reason he's evil.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

I think it's revealed in the last book that Voldemort's mom was under the influence of a love potion at the time of his conception and it's the reason he's evil.
Ron also gets a magical date rape book in the last book, so presumably he and Hermione's terrible children with names like "Luna Neville" or "McGonnagal McGonnagal McGonnagal" are going to be the villains in the sequel series.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i don't remember that part but i can't say 'rape babies are inherently evil' is too far an implication for how that setting is written sometimes

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yeah they say Voldemort is literally scared of love because he was conceived without love or affection, due to a potion.

Then again he also hosed Bellatrix in the (cool to see, but bad story) play so least he could be horny I guess.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

She wasn't under the influence of one, she used one on Voldemort's dad.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

FactsAreUseless posted:

Ron also gets a magical date rape book in the last book, so presumably he and Hermione's terrible children with names like "Luna Neville" or "McGonnagal McGonnagal McGonnagal" are going to be the villains in the sequel series.

It's been a long time since I read the books but I don't remember a magical date rape book. I do remember a book that had tips on how to impress ladies with things like "actually care what they say" and "maybe they like things?"

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
a wizard pua book

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Brother Entropy posted:

Harry pretty much treats it as if Ron was poisoned. It's another of those things like house elf slavery that the magical world is completely fine with, but people like Harry and Hermione realize are really messed up.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

datajugend posted:

a wizard pua book

Peacocking is turning yourself into a peacock.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
A transphobic rear end in a top hat integrates problematic themes in their books, news at 11.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

sigh

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

Harry pretty much treats it as if Ron was poisoned. It's another of those things like house elf slavery that the magical world is completely fine with, but people like Harry and Hermione realize are really messed up.

The joke was that the House Elves loved being slaves and Hermione was a foolish bleeding heart activist calling out a 'non-issue'

I think people tend to think of Rowling as being money poisoned, but that was in book 4. The first three were only considered moderate successes. So she's had pretty hosed up beliefs for a long time.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

grittyreboot posted:

The joke was that the House Elves loved being slaves and Hermione was a foolish bleeding heart activist calling out a 'non-issue'

I think people tend to think of Rowling as being money poisoned, but that was in book 4. The first three were only considered moderate successes. So she's had pretty hosed up beliefs for a long time.

Congratulations on completely missing the point of house elves. Here's a hint, replace the words "House Elves" with "Black People," and you have one of the most famous defenses of southern US slavery.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

Congratulations on completely missing the point of house elves. Here's a hint, replace the words "House Elves" with "Black People," and you have one of the most famous defenses of southern US slavery.

I wasn't supporting it. Rowling is the one who wrote the house elves as happy slaves. I was pointing out how hosed up that was.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I just now realized how House Elf translates to irl "house slaves" and how she never touches on whatever the "field elves" are supposed to be up to

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Seth MacFarlane is poo poo and everything he's involved in is packed with every kind of bigotry humans have names for, I don't know what you expected

The show if very un-Family Guy in a deliberate way, which is why the episode was so odd.

Also you have very strong opinions about TV.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh, God, with the prequels being what they are, I can't imagine how horrid a sequel might be.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

grittyreboot posted:

I wasn't supporting it. Rowling is the one who wrote the house elves as happy slaves. I was pointing out how hosed up that was.

I don't know what Rowling intended, but I know my interpretation has always been that the house elves were brainwashed and Hermione's only mistake was trying to free house elves without asking them. I'd like to think that was what Rowling intended, but with her you never know. She specifically retconned muggleborns so that they are all descended from Squibs which is such a terrible idea that it basically ruins the main point of her primary conflict.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, God, with the prequels being what they are, I can't imagine how horrid a sequel might be.

The play read like bad fan-fic.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

sweet geek swag posted:

yes a famous defense that the entire wizarding world is fine with, including the major protagonist who only gives a half-hearted poo poo about house elves in order to placate hermione

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
kinda odd considering harry was a house elf. maybe he is a boot straps kinda guy deep down

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Brother Entropy posted:

yes a famous defense that the entire wizarding world is fine with, including the major protagonist who only gives a half-hearted poo poo about house elves in order to placate hermione

In book 2 and book 7 Harry is pretty firmly pro-house elf freedom. In book 4 he acts really uncharacteristically, as looking out for the vulnerable to his own detriment is one of Harry's defining personality traits.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

sweet geek swag posted:

good god my dude try checking context before you accuse other people of missing the point, holy poo poo what a dumb post that is, that you made there

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe the magic school book for children author isn't a world-expert in social commentary? :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah only world experts figured out slavery was bad

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The book specifically makes a point of saying the house elves prefer their lives. Checkmate Rowlingailures

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe the magic school book for children author isn't a world-expert in social commentary? :shrug:

Wizards teleported poop off their butts instead of wiping. Her vision gazes further than man has ever dared.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wizards teleported poop off their butts instead of wiping. Her vision gazes further than man has ever dared.

Nah, the most powerful magic-users in the Death Gate Cycle were described as doing that or something very much like it 3-7 years before Harry Potter came out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

burial posted:

Nah, the most powerful magic-users in the Death Gate Cycle were described as doing that or something very much like it 3-7 years before Harry Potter came out.

Death Gate owns, I need to reread it.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Death Gate owns, I need to reread it.

:respek: Likewise.

The Patryns were the coolest concept I’d ever encountered when I first read that series. I mean, I was only 10 or maybe 12, but still.

I wish somebody with a budget would do a show about that.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Harry Potter is ripped of real hard from Jane Yolen's "Wizard's Hall," which is a shame because the latter is a much, much better book.

I don't hear people talk about Jane Yolen much but she did good YA fantasy and just sort of went away one day. Same with Bruce Colville. Or maybe they're still around and I'm just no longer a child.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
House elves were iirc originally based on brownies, fairies from folklore who'd do chores if they liked you, but in typical fashion JK fleshed things out without really thinking about the implications and then doubled down.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Speaking of TV that won't age well, they're doing a series (or movies?) based on Bruce Colville's "Aliens Ate My Homework" series, and I don't they're going to translate well to screen at all.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Speaking of TV that won't age well, they're doing a series (or movies?) based on Bruce Colville's "Aliens Ate My Homework" series, and I don't they're going to translate well to screen at all.

They've already done the first one. Not familiar with the series, but I watched it with my kids and I didn't notice anything beyond comedic violence?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

FactsAreUseless posted:

How so? I remember the book being sympathetic to all the characters, including the bully who becomes the focus in later books. I don't remember how the handled the tours of the warzones and poverty-stricken areas when the alien council was deciding the fate of Earth. It was pretty heavy stuff for its silly titles.

This wasn't his work, but it was in his Book of Monsters short story collection. Timor and the Furnace Troll was about a bullied loser elf kid in a sort of modern fantasy world. He gets a magical study pass that lets him sort of go out of space and time to use any facility in the school whenever he wants for as long as he wants. He decides on a whim to go to the furnace room, where a troll works. There is bad history between the the elves and trolls, the former having beaten a the later in a war. The troll is kind of coded as black, and the Timor enjoys learning about his culture. They go on journeys in a cardboard box powered by the dreams of human children who played make-believe in it. Timor wishes he was a troll. Finds out he can be one if he eats troll food. What's troll food you ask?

We find out when he and the troll teleport back to the classroom and then loving MURDER AND EAT THE TEACHER AND ALL THE CLASSMATES except for the girl who was nice to him. I remember him reassuring her over the screams of another girl being eaten feet-first. This is portrayed as a happy ending, and we get an illustration of the newly troll-ified Timor picking his teeth. Yay!

I think this came out before Columbine, so... yeaaah.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Apr 26, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I remember the books getting pretty abstract and hard to visualize, but also keep in mind I was like 12 when the fourth one came out and finished the series (at the time). I didn't mean in terms of content adultness or anything, just some conceptual sci-fi stuff. I guess that's not hard to do with modern visual effects.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Rowling also for a long time billed herself as a struggling out of work single mother to use the sympathy to help sell her book despite the fact that she was given a rather large grant specifically so she could focus on writing full time.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Disproportionation posted:

Honestly I think that entire genre has aged poorly, due to the internet any story with a big enough following is gonna have people coming up with correct fan theories sooner rather than later.

This has been happening for quite some time by now. For example in Game of Thrones when they revealed the truth about Jon Snow's mother last season, that confirmed a fan theory which has been widespread for twenty drat years based on clues from the very first book, I distinctly remember it being discussed on rec.arts.sf.written back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power

rodbeard posted:

Rowling also for a long time billed herself as a struggling out of work single mother to use the sympathy to help sell her book despite the fact that she was given a rather large grant specifically so she could focus on writing full time.

Ayyy That's the stuff