Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

skasion posted:

Lh’owon trih’xeeme Pfhor Spht Yrro Wrkncacnter Thoth Spht’kr Sbhuth Kr Klia
you thought nobody would notice you’re trying to summon an inter-dimensional horror into the thread? :cthulhu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

fadam posted:

This is nuts and very cool. Did the people who wrote this work on anything else?

Well, to date he's put out 6 other albums and 3 cover albums

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Sir Lemming posted:

Well, to date he's put out 6 other albums and 3 cover albums
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMCR66zjZo

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

In all sincerity, this is one of the best websites of all time. Somebody is still updating it, too.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Animal-Mother posted:

In all sincerity, this is one of the best websites of all time. Somebody is still updating it, too.

I spent more than a couple afternoons going through it many years ago. I'd like to get an archive of it in case Hamish ever gets tired of maintaining it, but I've never actually gotten up the will to ask.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It still blows my mind that a game that old has such a cool story. For some reason in my head non-rpg fames didn't have real narratives until like 2000.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dark Forces...does the old XL engine project allow the game to be finished to completion? Or no? If so, is there a decent solution for mouselook anywhere?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Dark Forces...does the old XL engine project allow the game to be finished to completion? Or no? If so, is there a decent solution for mouselook anywhere?
No. It doesn't allow you to put on the gas mask, or use cheats. So it can't be finished. I don't know of any other solutions.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

chaosapiant posted:

Someone made a fan patch for the XL Engine that fixed some issues, but I don't know if it fixed all of them enough to finish the game. Hell, it might be hard to find that patch at all given how the XL Engine forums went down.

As for other mouselook solutions, there's this, but I've never used it so I don't know how well it works.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't know if you could do much for mouselook in the original Jedi Engine. Looking up or down did some really ugly texture stretching. I kind of think you'd have to do it in a sourceport. Outlaws has decent mouselook though.

I hope Arvy is still working on his Darkest Forces MegaWAD. His Deus Ex inspired WAD was really good.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Casimir Radon posted:

No. It doesn't allow you to put on the gas mask, or use cheats. So it can't be finished. I don't know of any other solutions.

Are the savegames cross-compatible, so you can load it in the old game, get past some crucial point or something, and then switch back?

todd_777
Dec 31, 2008

haveblue posted:

Their next game was planned to be a true-3D FPS named Duality, but it was never finished before the studio dissolved (Infinity was primarily produced by a spinoff studio named Double Aught, not Bungie themselves). Almost nothing of this project survives except for a couple of screenshots and a text excerpt hidden deep within the Infinity game data.

One of Duality's level designers has a treasure trove of in-development screenshots on his Flickr. The game had an amazing visual style and it's a shame it got canned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/courtneyevans/albums/72157605864070626

There's some more complete level renders, concept art and models for the characters and weapons towards the bottom of page 2.

There's some more screenshots here:

http://www.evansinc.com/courtney/resume/duality.shots.html

todd_777 fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 26, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Are the savegames cross-compatible, so you can load it in the old game, get past some crucial point or something, and then switch back?
That I'm not sure about. DF's savegames are kind of wonky. It has a life and checkpoint system as the only means of midlevel saving. So if it is possible, you'd be able to play up to Ice Station Beta, put the savegame back in the vanilla game, complete the mission, and then put it back in XLEngine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

todd_777 posted:

One of Duality's level designers has a treasure trove of in-development screenshots on his Flickr. The game had an amazing visual style and it's a shame it got canned.

There's some more complete level renders, concept art and models for the characters and weapons towards the bottom of page 2.

Some more:

It would have looked really unique, yeah.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

haveblue posted:

Some more:

It would have looked really unique, yeah.

Not to take away from your point that it would've looked really unique for its day, but I can't help but think that would slot right into Amid Evil's weirder later episodes :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

drat that's astounding looking. It's 100% my poo poo and if someone made a game that looked like that today (without adding tons of "90s remembered solely by playing Brutal Doom with tons of extra mods slapped overtop" cruft) I'd be all over it.

I have this fantasy of working on a Quake 2 engine game using the original source release and building the game as close as possible to a lost 1999 game leaked 2 decades later but I doubt there are even high single digit people in the world who would care about something like that :v:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What's with the endless-themed naming schemes in shooters nowadays

Duke Nukem Forever
Doom Eternal
Halo Infinite

Back in my day we just put numbers on the end :bahgawd:
I recognize this is a joke about how they're all, as you said, "endless-themed", I wanna be real for a moment. While Halo Infinite has no excuse, Forever gets a pass since it was intended to be a 4 pun (Duke Nukem 4-ever) even though several Duke games came out between 3D and Forever that make it not work. Eternal also gets a pass, because going by The New Colossus, the alternative was calling it Doom 2, and Doom 2 is extremely well-established by this point so the search engine optimization for both the original sequel and the new sequel would be disastrous. I mean, I still get results for the new trilogy of Tomb Raider games when I Google just "Tomb Raider", "Tomb Raider 2" or "Tomb Raider 3", despite intending to find info about the original trilogy (and despite Rise of and Shadow of not even being called Tomb Raider 2 or 3 - Google's just being overly presumptuous that I don't know there's more than three Tomb Raider games).

juggalo baby coffin posted:

yeah i think you're right about the platforming, and i think in a lot of respects it was truly groundbreaking in what it did. adding more sort of 'realistic' rock climbing style platforming as opposed to the more cartoony 'big floating platform to big floating platform' that had come before.

but i think it was also a lot of pc people's first big exposure to a third person game with shooting and so when heretic 2 rolls around and is like 'hey we made the new heretic but its third person and has platforming' people went 'oh no i dont want tomb raider heretic'
Alright, that's fair. It certainly wouldn't have been fair to Heretic 2 to pass on it expecting it'd play just like Tomb Raider, though that is the sort of impression you might get just looking at screenshots of it. It's definitely a lot more of a proper third-person shooter than that.

Though I must confess there's a bit of input lag or something built into the game that I'm not so fond of. This was based on running the game on my Windows 10 rig, for the record, I don't know if it was noticeable back in the day, but there's a fraction of a second delay between inpurting a movement key and Corvus actually doing the movement in question. I forget if this affects shooting as well. It otherwise ran beautifully (beyond the redbook audio playing once and then not looping, a bug that Windows has had for redbook audio-using games since Vista or so when Microsoft broke the functionality in MCI or DirectShow or whatever, necessitating people using _inmm.dll or what have you to get around it).

Sir Lemming posted:

I'll jump on that grenade and say I enjoyed the hell out of Tomb Raider: Underworld. Nobody else seemed to. Maybe I didn't play some other superior game that was out at the time (Uncharted?)
You know, I've not tried that one. I do own it, just haven't gotten around to it. I enjoyed Legend and what I played of Anniversary well enough.

That said, I don't think liking any of the Crystal Dynamics games is that controversial*; their control schemes are fairly modern. It's the ol' tank control Core Design games that are more divisive. I don't think anyone's gonna defend Angel of Darkness at least; regardless of how cool it'd have been if properly finished, the fact remains that, as released, it wasn't.
(*I mean there's almost certainly division amongst the fandom between the Core games, the first CD trilogy and the current set of CD games starting from the 2013 game, and I do recall that Underworld has a bad rep for that first CD trilogy for some reason, but regardless, I believe the first CD trilogy is considered to have aged well enough.)

Flannelette posted:

If Underworld is the one that had a bit with king arthur's sword/tomb/something then that one was good but I think everyone was still mad at the series from the bad ones earlier.
Nah, that's Legend. Underworld is the sequel to Legend, except also the sequel to the very first Core Design game as well by route of Anniversary, so that game's villain, Natla, is there and stuff. As mentioned before, I didn't play it, all I know is that one of the guys who helped navigate you through stages in Legend gets killed at some point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

They should have called Doom Eternal Doom 5 and Ill refer to Doom 2016 as Doom 4 and none of you can stop me.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Barudak posted:

They should have called Doom Eternal Doom 5 and Ill refer to Doom 2016 as Doom 4 and none of you can stop me.

:yeah:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

At some point people decided numbers were gauche and opted for really confusing "reboots" instead and I hate it, especially since people have to call things "Doom 4" or "Doom 2016" so people know what they're talking about anyway

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
They called the third xbox the xbox one, battlefield 5 battlefield 1, battlefield 6 battlefield V

Still baffles me to this day

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I went a while thinking when people were talking about "Prey" there was a revival of interest in the old and not really spectacular game when they were actually talking about a different game with the same name by different people that was really good

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

BattleMaster posted:

At some point people decided numbers were gauche and opted for really confusing "reboots" instead and I hate it, especially since people have to call things "Doom 4" or "Doom 2016" so people know what they're talking about anyway
Especially when the main series goes Doom, Doom 2, Doom 64.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Doom 3 was even a "reboot" before that sort of thing became popular and it had the restraint not to be cute with the name, too.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

JerryLee posted:

Not to take away from your point that it would've looked really unique for its day, but I can't help but think that would slot right into Amid Evil's weirder later episodes :v:

I immediately thought those were new Amid Evil screenshots until I saw plants in the second one. It might be weird and trippy in the later episodes, but Amid Evil is super visually repetitive when you take each episode on its own. Something as simple as a few conservatively placed bushes is so far from AE's MO that they caused me to wise up instantly.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

haveblue posted:

Some more:

The first one reminds me of unreal engine games and the second one makes me think glowing golden David Bowie is going to show up any time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Eternal also gets a pass, because going by The New Colossus, the alternative was calling it Doom 2

What's funny with the Wolfenstein series is that the simple title "Wolfenstein" without anything else tacked on wasn't even used until 2009.
  • Castle Wolfenstein
  • Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Spear of Destiny
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
  • Wolfenstein RPG
  • Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

todd_777 posted:

Whoa, that’s crazy. I had no idea Duality got that far before DA got dead.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
Been playing quake II lately its been a blast. Are there any goons playing quake II or III online?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

What's funny with the Wolfenstein series is that the simple title "Wolfenstein" without anything else tacked on wasn't even used until 2009.
  • Castle Wolfenstein
  • Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Spear of Destiny
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
  • Wolfenstein RPG
  • Wolfenstein
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
  • Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

It's so strange to me that the change from Wolf3D to RTCW was only 9 years. I mean most games from 2010 don't look amazing now but still :stare:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Convex posted:

It's so strange to me that the change from Wolf3D to RTCW was only 9 years. I mean most games from 2010 don't look amazing now but still :stare:

Graphics tech shot up like a rocket between 1980s and mid 2000s things that were outright absent in graphics for games (oh now we have 8 colors, 16 colors,,,, 16million colors! now we have 3 dimensions! now we have shadows for everything! etc) were added in but now that they're all added up to roughly what our eyes can see the progress has slowed right down to making them look better (raytracing to finally add real reflections is probably the next little jump).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Flannelette posted:

Graphics tech shot up like a rocket between 1980s and mid 2000s things that were outright absent in graphics for games (oh now we have 8 colors, 16 colors,,,, 16million colors! now we have 3 dimensions! now we have shadows for everything! etc) were added in but now that they're all added up to roughly what our eyes can see the progress has slowed right down to making them look better (raytracing to finally add real reflections is probably the next little jump).

I remember playing Narbacular Drop for the first time, when I had heard about it right when Portal launched but I hadn`t bought it yet. When I looked into the tech of how it was done, I remember what I had learned about how to make mirrors in BUILD for Duke3D, and it just amazed me that essentially the tech had advanced so far and was working MUCH better than it was.

I mean, I know portals and mirrors are different aspects, but in terms of FPS games, it`s still looking at a solid surface which is showing you a dynamic area that`s not really there. In BUILD, you had to have a sector behind the mirror that was equal to or greater than the space that you were currently in (that you wanted to see). Making the space behind the mirror too small resulted in that weird texture smearing you get when you noclip in Doom and leave the boundaries of the level.

In Narbacular Drop as well as Portal and Portal 2 (and probably Prey?), it's a texture that's basically acting like a camera screen, with the actual 'camera' being the other portal. Add in the ability to walk into it and have the engine immediately move the player from portal 1 to portal 2 seamlessly, and you've got your effect.

I think impossible geometry is my favourite thing ever in games, FPS or otherwise. I love that poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also a lot of things are being focused on that arent as apparent in screen shots like "sound effects that arent complete poo poo", physics objects, and "AI that would be passable if we didnt misspell the word "tether""

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asLVad_uWoo

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember playing Narbacular Drop for the first time, when I had heard about it right when Portal launched but I hadn`t bought it yet. When I looked into the tech of how it was done, I remember what I had learned about how to make mirrors in BUILD for Duke3D, and it just amazed me that essentially the tech had advanced so far and was working MUCH better than it was.

I mean, I know portals and mirrors are different aspects, but in terms of FPS games, it`s still looking at a solid surface which is showing you a dynamic area that`s not really there. In BUILD, you had to have a sector behind the mirror that was equal to or greater than the space that you were currently in (that you wanted to see). Making the space behind the mirror too small resulted in that weird texture smearing you get when you noclip in Doom and leave the boundaries of the level.

In Narbacular Drop as well as Portal and Portal 2 (and probably Prey?), it's a texture that's basically acting like a camera screen, with the actual 'camera' being the other portal. Add in the ability to walk into it and have the engine immediately move the player from portal 1 to portal 2 seamlessly, and you've got your effect.

I think impossible geometry is my favourite thing ever in games, FPS or otherwise. I love that poo poo.
Anybody know why Duke3D requires the empty space behind mirrors? I don’t see why a portal renderer would care.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
tactical ops was better than counterstrike because it had an entire game mode dedicated to ~*~*~*~*the OICW*~*~*~*~ and i refuse to ever let you @ me on this

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Kins posted:

tactical ops was better than counterstrike because it had an entire game mode dedicated to ~*~*~*~*the OICW*~*~*~*~ and i refuse to ever let you @ me on this

Delta Force: Land Warrior was almost an entire game dedicated to the OICW and that wasn’t enough for you? *smh*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

david_a posted:

Anybody know why Duke3D requires the empty space behind mirrors? I don’t see why a portal renderer would care.

I think it's because BUILD fakes the mirror effect by recreating the space you're in on the other side of the special wall that's tagged as a mirror. At least it does it visually, not sure if it genuinely recreates the collision data and logic on that side as well.

I forget what happens when you clip through the mirror, though.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

prey had super impressive mind fuckery and impossible geometry. that and the shotgun that was basically the UT flak cannon but with a jar of acid instead of a shell were its main redeeming features.

i felt bad for prey cause it was in that weird doldrums era where suddenly even sci-fi fps games decided they could only have like 3 enemy types, and everything got slow paced and constrained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Barudak posted:

Also a lot of things are being focused on that arent as apparent in screen shots like "sound effects that arent complete poo poo", physics objects, and "AI that would be passable if we didnt misspell the word "tether""

Ever notice that when a game is released that has some new advancement that can't be shown in screenshots well it magically seems to not really appear in any games a few years later :argh:

(I really want them to push forward with physics and AI SOME day before I die)

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I forget what happens when you clip through the mirror, though.

You end up in the mirror room and your controls (or rather the display of the room changes in reverse like you're still looking into a mirror) are mirrored too.

You can have the mirror room over another sector, that works fine.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 26, 2019