Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
They made a mancave. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
:yayclod:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
It looks like it's time to slam down.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh I see, an etheric cloud

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Kat, this is a slippery slope to Ether as a Service. Think of all the poor robots who'll have to take out loans on their new bodies.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

A happy little cloud.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A cloud, you say? You mean like, Scott McCloud?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Darth TNT posted:

Booooooo! Booooooooooo! :mad:

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

A shadow-mancave.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CJacobs posted:

A cloud, you say? You mean like, Scott McCloud?

:aaaaa:

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
So she's moved all her stuff to the butt now, huh?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Guess we’re going to see her summon the necessary equipment next? I can’t actually recall when Kat showed her computer transferring matter. Also surprised she hasn’t mentioned her mom’s computer yet. This is Kat’s version of it, after all. I wonder if she has portable doors yet.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Guess we’re going to see her summon the necessary equipment next? I can’t actually recall when Kat showed her computer transferring matter. Also surprised she hasn’t mentioned her mom’s computer yet. This is Kat’s version of it, after all. I wonder if she has portable doors yet.

It last came up here.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Oh right! Thanks. Aaand now I remember thinking then that the comic wasn’t making a big deal out of something big. Makes sense though. That’s pretty much Kat’s MO. Whether she could get it to work or not was never a question. It was just getting around to doing it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It also came up in this thread...seven years ago.

Tea-san posted:

Anja and Donald have done a lot of work for the Court and the current functions of the computer that have been shown are a result of that. The computer was originally built with the express purpose of detaining Renard when they needed and it's been developed from there. There are other functions which have not been shown yet and I've known from the start that people on the internet hate things that are not explicitly spelled out, but that's not really what the comic is about. The closest thing you're going to get to a laundry list of limitations and abilities of the computer is when Kat eventually makes her own later in the story. I hope people can bear with it til then.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

It also came up in this thread...seven years ago.

I actually somehow remembered reading that post more than the thing that happened more recently in the comic. Probably because I sympathized with Tom and found it amusing that people thought Anja's computer give bullshit, ill-defined powers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1931

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And there is still the question of who is bankrolling this or letting her use the space

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Same as before, The Shadow Men

And it's not like Kat ever had a shortage of material to use or anyone ever mentioned any kind of currency in the comic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Court is mostly empty.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Anja gave her the space, and the robots are very keen to provide her supplies.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tenebrais posted:

Anja gave her the space, and the robots are very keen to provide her supplies.

What's left of them anyway, since the Seraphs seem to be the only remaining free-moving independent robots. The others are zombified by either the Defense Grid or the court chips.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Also, there's no reason to assume that the Court doesn't at least know the broad strokes of what she is working on. If the Court didn't want her making organic machines, they'd have shut her down a long time ago.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Maybe the Court's whole obsession with the ether is because of Kat's powers as the Creator stretching back, influencing things during the founding of the Court, and they're like "poo poo, you're human? We need to get on that train," and in so doing, they get Kat.

Wild mass guessing gets weird when you can ignore causality.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Warmachine posted:

Also, there's no reason to assume that the Court doesn't at least know the broad strokes of what she is working on. If the Court didn't want her making organic machines, they'd have shut her down a long time ago.

Yeah, that's kind of the point I'm making in a sarcastic way. It's obvious the Court knows what Kat is doing and approves/benefits from it, but everyone pretends it's going on secretly.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I think ignoring causality is totally valid considering Jones

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Kat being the creator of the tic-tocs is also plausible when you can throw out causality. According to the robots they have been watching since before the Court was founded and are created by a divine being. Making lifelike robotic birds is totally a thing our resident proto-divine being might do, tic-tocs randomly came to Annie's rescue that one time... which seems less random if they are Kat's creation, and the Court is mysterious enough that I could see Kat and the gang deciding at some point to finally figure out what the hell happened in the beginning of the Court.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i hope boxbot is ok

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

What'd he spit out?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

What'd he spit out?

Coyote's tooth.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Kat being the creator of the tic-tocs is also plausible when you can throw out causality. According to the robots they have been watching since before the Court was founded and are created by a divine being. Making lifelike robotic birds is totally a thing our resident proto-divine being might do, tic-tocs randomly came to Annie's rescue that one time... which seems less random if they are Kat's creation, and the Court is mysterious enough that I could see Kat and the gang deciding at some point to finally figure out what the hell happened in the beginning of the Court.

And you know, Kat has a thing for birds.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'd been wondering when that tooth would come back into the story. Have we seen it at all since Parley accidentally cut shadow loose with it?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Ok, we're all in agreement that when Arthur activates, his glistening bespoke Adonis-class chassis is going to burst from the pod while the Pillarmen theme plays, right?

ARISE, MY (ROBOT) MASTERS

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

If you take Coyote's tale of how when a dying man in a desert imagined him as a god, he not only existed then he always existed, then the same logic can be applied to Kat. If Kat creates a race of robots that are etherically active in the future and they see her as a deity, she will always have been a diety, hence why the robots see her as the angel in the current time.

Jones also, probably.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Tupperwarez posted:

Ok, we're all in agreement that when Arthur activates, his glistening bespoke Adonis-class chassis is going to burst from the pod while the Pillarmen theme plays, right?

DOES THIS EXCITE YOU, JULIET

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

I was thinking "Sword of Damocles," personally.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Warmachine posted:

I was thinking "Sword of Damocles," personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdufVsPXtCE

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Demiurge4 posted:

If you take Coyote's tale of how when a dying man in a desert imagined him as a god, he not only existed then he always existed, then the same logic can be applied to Kat. If Kat creates a race of robots that are etherically active in the future and they see her as a deity, she will always have been a diety, hence why the robots see her as the angel in the current time.

Jones also, probably.

Yeah, I’m implicitly shoving all that into my hand wavy talk of ignoring causality. Jones was around millennia before the humans who (probably) dreamt her up died. Coyote and all the other beings who claim to have created the world can truthfully say they did, even though Jones can attest that she saw nothing of the sort. All because some people who died believed they existed. Coyote does (did? does) not exist but for the belief that he does.

The first death of a living robot is going to be a huge moment.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Loup probably doesn't know about the tooth. Seems more and more likely that the other gifts are memories Coyote was trying to hide from Loup/Ysengrin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

...You think Coyote’s tooth is sharp enough to cut Loup in half back to Ysengrin and Coyote? Maybe it was a contingency plan and that’s why he made extra sure that no one in the Forest knew about it when Annie stayed that one time.