Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Olpainless posted:

About drat time.
I have zero problem with Lepin staying around if they just put out stuff that's already out of production tbh

a UCS super star destroyer for 80 bucks instead of 800 or green grocer for 60 instead of a grand when they've been out of production for years sounds fine to me, the legit ones are still around and still sell for absurd prices, but for us poors it makes getting the gigantic sets possible especially if they've stopped making them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Olpainless posted:

About drat time.

They didn't harm anyone except greedy resellers. Don't stick up for giant corporations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Hasn’t this happened before and they just come back with a slightly different name?

RIP Lepin

Long live Lobin

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought they were just going to use the lepin name for things they steal/buy from MOC builders and made a new brand for the stolen Lego.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Vintersorg posted:

They didn't harm anyone except greedy resellers. Don't stick up for giant corporations.

Also they tried to steal AFOL designs quite often. So yeah, Lepin are nasty.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Lepin sucked total rear end. If they just stuck to doing licensed MOCs and paying people for their designs they'd probably make bank, but they are gently caress heads who deserve to be shut down.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The avengers tower build is actually pretty substantial for a free gift with purchase. Too bad the iron man fig seems to be like Tony just wearing part of the torso and an arm

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
So the Chinese suddenly crack down on IP theft when it's a rich toy company ey? Wonder how big the bribes were that Lego paid.

China shits on patent law with a vengence and suddenly they care? With toys of all things?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Not just toys, any company can pay China to care about its ip.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Hopper posted:

So the Chinese suddenly crack down on IP theft when it's a rich toy company ey? Wonder how big the bribes were that Lego paid.

China shits on patent law with a vengence and suddenly they care? With toys of all things?

LEGO opened a factory in China back in 17 and started expanding into that market by agreeing to have more operations based in China as well as products catered towards the Chinese like the dragon dance and the NYE set and soon to include the Chinese rowing set.

So, maybe there are kickbacks on top of that and almost certainly there are but in real terms LEGO has been creating incentives for the Chinese to play ball. They’ve been angling towards this for awhile.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news-room/2015/october/factory-expansion

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
I am obsessed with the new bakfiets (cargo bike) chassis that's going to be in the donut shop and circus sets. I'm not particularly interested in the sets as a whole, as cool as they are, so will probably pay over the odds to BrickLink just the bike.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish in general LEGO would make more bike frames that were meant to be built off of.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

tactical_grace posted:

I am obsessed with the new bakfiets (cargo bike) chasis

Dang, that thing is neat. I love the street vendors, they are tiny, but they add a lot life and character to a display.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Uhh...
https://gardentrends.us/product/80-off-today-star-wars-tm-millennium-falcon-75192/

They list the MSRP as just $400, and cut that down to $50. Anyone brave enough to risk $50?

[Edit] Or don't; they say they accept Paypal, but when you go to Check out, the paypal buttons aren't functional and they want your CC information directly. The site is duplicated across other domain names like celex.us or gracehomestore.com.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 27, 2019

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Paypal buyers get quite a lot of protection so you'd at least get your money back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Either it is the dumbest scam of all time, or they stole some millennial falcons and need to unload them quickly.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The guy who gave me the link said the thread he got it from has a bunch of people taking the risk. They'll contest the charge or they're willing to lose $50 (hopefully using a temporary CC #).

The three identical sites I found all have different registration info. The two .us sites were registered last July, but have contact information in Mexico for one site, Ohio for another. The third was registered anonymously this January through GoDaddy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sometimes these things work out. But this looks like a scam. Most likely would be protected by your bank, but still a scam.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After looking some more, this looks like a really bad idea.

Paypal link doesn't work. It's pretty likely that you will end up with a maxed out CC and the hassle of having to fight w/ your bank to get it all sorted out.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If you have any doubts: "Free shipping worldwide". It is a scam.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hopper posted:

If you have any doubts: "Free shipping worldwide". It is a scam.

In fact international shipping of an item of this size and weight would already cost several times the price that they are selling just the set for!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
True a generic parcel US to Germany with those dimension is easily 60$+ by boat.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The first episode of something called LEGO Masters was on Australian TV tonight. I'm waiting until I can see it on catch up TV, but I am cautiously optimistic for it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Chairchucker posted:

The first episode of something called LEGO Masters was on Australian TV tonight. I'm waiting until I can see it on catch up TV, but I am cautiously optimistic for it.

Ah, it’s a UK show they’ve sold the format for. Teams do build challenges, and there’s teams of two that can be any combination of adults and kids competing together.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
It was okay. There was a minimum of manufactured tension or drama, and some of the builds were pretty impressive. As long as they keep showcasing the teams' creativity, I'll enjoy watching the rest.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah, I liked it. Hamish's antics were a bit hit and miss, but I reckon he'll grow into the role a bit. Most of the contestants are pretty likeable, not sure if That One Guy has been selectively edited to make him appear like an egotistical jerk, or if that's really him.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tonight’s challenge: Sort all of the Megablocks out of this sticky and nicotine stained bin of random bricks purchased from Craigslist. There might be a complete Star Wars set in there somewhere! Good luck!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Tonight’s challenge: Sort all of the Megablocks out of this sticky and nicotine stained bin of random bricks purchased from Craigslist. There might be a complete Star Wars set in there somewhere! Good luck!

My mom just dropped off around 60lbs of legos and my wife and I have been doing the same thing. It's oddly cathartic.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I wasn’t very interested in the Rexcelsior until I saw the crazy nano scale interiors and I’m still not gonna buy it but they’re cool as hell

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
lol

http://www.brickfinder.net/2019/04/29/lepin-not-gone/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW7f36mjU8A&hd=1

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I cant understand why anyone other than Lego as a company are invested in Lepin going down. Lots of Lego fansites have been celebrating the raid this week and it just makes me roll my eyes. Lego is a great brand and a great product (tho with horrible quality issues recently) but they aren't anyone's friend. Having a clone brand, if anything, probably helps AFOLS in the long run.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't like Lepins tactics but I have no problem with them releasing old overpriced sets. I've purchased 4:

Market Street, CC, GG and TH. And I supplemented each of these with the proper Lego bricks so they all are part correct. I just didn't spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on sand green stuff. I did buy new base plates and hair pieces and a couple of the older doors. You wouldn't know they aren't Lego unless you looked at the studs.

My point: Lepin isn't bad, they fill a need for some people.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

PriorMarcus posted:

I cant understand why anyone other than Lego as a company are invested in Lepin going down. Lots of Lego fansites have been celebrating the raid this week and it just makes me roll my eyes. Lego is a great brand and a great product (tho with horrible quality issues recently) but they aren't anyone's friend. Having a clone brand, if anything, probably helps AFOLS in the long run.

Product Cultists

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

I don’t have a problem with Lepin making bootlegs of real sets, but they’ve also developed a habit of stealing MOC designs and profiting off them, and that sucks. So gently caress Lepin.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
The fact that they blatantly just rip designs from both Lego and fans is just massively scummy as all hell, sorry. At least other clone brands make their own sets and piece designs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If the last CEO was arrested, what is the incentive for this new CEO? I don't think we'll ever have a decent clone brick business. Copying the actual bricks is most likely also illegal, so it ends up just being a slippery slope. They can sell discontinued and custom sets, but then it's too easy to just start selling new sets since you already make all the bricks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wager the arrest of the former ceo is all just a work

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They probably made a warehouse worker the ceo the day before the raid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Probably just threw together a bunch of blocks into a person shape and made it CEO.