Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Nothing says "authentic brand" like the Authentic Brands Group

https://twitter.com/BenMullin/status/1121478704092180480?s=20

https://twitter.com/alexweprin/status/1121479618249281538?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

morestuff posted:

Nothing says "authentic brand" like the Authentic Brands Group
It's right there in the name!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The video shift kind of killed SI for me but that feels like the end.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Holy poo poo, Sports Illustrated is only worth $110M? Jesus.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Can we get sweatpants with sports illustrated written on the butt?

Also, Big Daddy Drew finally writes about his fateful injuries (point #5):

https://deadspin.com/an-incomplete-list-of-things-i-can-never-do-again-1834280824

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Also, Big Daddy Drew finally writes about his fateful injuries (point #5):

https://deadspin.com/an-incomplete-list-of-things-i-can-never-do-again-1834280824

holy poo poo :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mahoning posted:

Holy poo poo, Sports Illustrated is only worth $110M? Jesus.

For contrast, AOL bought Time Warner for $160 billion back in 2000.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Timby posted:

For contrast, AOL bought Time Warner for $160 billion back in 2000.

Time Warner wasn't just a single-magazine company so that's a bit of an apples to Apple comparison.

e: I mean I guess SI has other "spinoff" magazines but that wasn't the point

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Billy Haisley pulled a Billy Haisley special today. In the midst of this word salad...

quote:

By any statistical measure or presumable eye test (“presumable” because I haven’t watched a minute of MLS this season so I’ve not had the chance to subject his performances to my own visual examination), Vela has dominated MLS so far this season on a level on par to how the world’s best players dominate their leagues.

So if you're scoring at home, he wrote a thousand-word article attempting to do in-depth analysis of a player he has not watched one second of this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Hahahahaha amazing

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

That article seems written to piss off people on Internet forums so mission accomplished I guess

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
He's a loving hack, that VAR article after Spurs-City was also a joke

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
He is definitely that prick who tries to tell his non-soccer friends that Mo Salah and Messi are better athletes than like, Lebron

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

ElwoodCuse posted:

He is definitely that prick who tries to tell his non-soccer friends that Mo Salah and Messi are better athletes than like, Lebron

Even if he says that about Salah, note who is part of Liverpool's ownership

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ElwoodCuse posted:

Where is the lie :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, Drew didn't spend a month in the hospital because he was drunk.

quote:

Nearly five months ago, I suffered a severe brain hemorrhage while I was just standing around at a work party. When I collapsed, I fractured my skull. That fracture tore through the inner ear on the right side of my head, rendering it inoperable for good. I’m looking into ways to make up for that loss, but they all appear to feature old-man hearing aids, and such remedies likely won’t bring my hearing all the way back to where it was. On the plus side, my children are now half as loud to me. Also, Stephen Colbert is deaf in his right ear as well. That makes us practically related.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Timby posted:

So, Drew didn't spend a month in the hospital because he was drunk.

Still doesn’t explain the weird karaoke related tweets he did right when he woke up, but at this point I’m chalking it up to the fact that he always heavily medicated and also recovering from a severe brain injury.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man that's nuts. I wonder the fracture relieved pressure in his brain mitigating the hemmorage

MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Blast Fantasto posted:

Still doesn’t explain the weird karaoke related tweets he did right when he woke up, but at this point I’m chalking it up to the fact that he always heavily medicated and also recovering from a severe brain injury.

Drew has a pass to make bad tweets forever now, because he can just claim it's the brain injury. Which is good news if you've ever seen Drew's tweets

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1122924174094360577?s=21

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OH HELL drat YES rip my next 45 minutes

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo that was fantastic

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
WHERE IS PART 2, I NEED IT!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bob Gibson is amazing and I had no idea :aaaaa:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

We'd discussed the lack of female-oriented stuff on the Athletic, so I wanted to highlight this cool piece by one of their Blue Jackets reporters on the Ohio State women's hockey team.

https://theathletic.com/951761/2019/04/29/scars-of-battle-the-stories-behind-these-marks-for-ohio-state-women/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

We'd discussed the lack of female-oriented stuff on the Athletic, so I wanted to highlight this cool piece by one of their Blue Jackets reporters on the Ohio State women's hockey team.

https://theathletic.com/951761/2019/04/29/scars-of-battle-the-stories-behind-these-marks-for-ohio-state-women/

Yeah this is a fantastic read.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/bryancurtis/status/1123243008781058048?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Millions of barber shop and dentist office coffee tables will be slightly emptier :rip:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/bryancurtis/status/1123243149462257664

this really shouldn't be surprising

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pour one out for the millions of thirsty 45-75 year old men who now only have Sports Illustrated for their yearly dose of glimpses of athlete and supermodel nipples.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

pour one out for the millions of thirsty 45-75 year old men who now only have Sports Illustrated for their yearly dose of glimpses of athlete and supermodel nipples.

Those guys are currently fuming because SI included a burkini

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Those guys are currently fuming because SI included a burkini

hahahaha I forgot about this

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

A bit late but this was really good.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vertical Lime posted:

this really shouldn't be surprising
True, but single-digit millions is still literal couch change for DisneyFoxCo

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

DJExile posted:

Hey, I'm 50 and I'm quite familiar with using the Google on the World Wide Web to procure photographs of attractive lasses.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Crazy Ted posted:

True, but single-digit millions is still literal couch change for DisneyFoxCo

it’s not like espn the magazine is a prestige project or anything

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

it’s not like espn the magazine is a prestige project or anything

It's funny how quickly things have changed. Having a "print edition" was seen as a huge legitimizing thing for ESPN back when it launched in 1998 and now no one could possibly give a poo poo

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

It's funny how quickly things have changed. Having a "print edition" was seen as a huge legitimizing thing for ESPN back when it launched in 1998 and now no one could possibly give a poo poo
Should have done Avengers: The Body Edition Presented by ESPN The Magazine

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

print media is dying and it mostly just feeds into the vanity of the old guard

not surprising disney would pull the plug to cut costs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It absolutely sucks that this is definitely going to end with the staff getting laid off, but ceasing to print millions of magazines that practically went straight from the press to a garbage can is probably a good thing overall.