Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Dark Horse Preston works pretty drat fine. Both DH and repeatable +damage fire axe are great and between Streetwise and Lola you have plenty of outlets to keep spending the cash. It also makes Joey the Rat actually good, any turn you spend just walking and doing poo poo gets you an item for essentially free.

The one problem is just eating willpower maluses face-first, but:
1) You don't have to keep Dark Horse online all the time, since in few XP you start buying clues more than testing them (skeleton key and humble flashlights are ace once you realize they're lola discounts), so it's fine to float 1-2 "real" resources for Streetwise agility/survivor tricks.
2) Agility in general is not a big deal, being easy to buff.
3) In team games, bump nasty events off to a friendly Guardian!

Having said that, ymmv, but I found it way easier to power through FA with low willpower with solo DH Preston than my earlier attempts with Finn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I don't like Dark Horse as a card because I always feel like it limits me so much in what I can do both in terms of deck building and in terms of gameplay. It's like an anti-fun card to me.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It'd help if Survivor had access to another good build-around. As it is, the Dark Horse suite is kind of an obvious option.

Regarding Lreston, I'm playing him eith a money build in Return to Dunwich right now, and I'd say he's quite good. Maybe not top-tier, but quite solid. You can't do a bunch of tests in a turn, because you really are paying for every test you take, but I have trouble imagining another investigator with whom I could set up camp in the Hidden Chamber, reasonably confident that I can dodge Silas for a bunch of turns in a row. (Streetwise is your first purchase, 100%)

Well Connected is not a card that makes hoarding a giant pile of cash and sitting on it an archetype. Even for Preston, even with Hot Streaks, it takes a lot of effort to have that kind of money. What it *does* do is cut down on how much you're spending on boosting--which helps you avoid burning through too much of your reserves, and soften Will tests. It's a lot easier to have Money Talks at a reasonable level, which KS also useful for Will or other random tests.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Me and the Mrs are looking to get back into this after bailing around the middle of Dunwich. How have the campaigns been since then? We're most interested in Carcosa, but did it turn out good?

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
Carcosa's a great pick - it seems to be well-liked by most people, as long as you're interested in the theme / setting. Things get pretty weird.

There's been one complete campaign cycle since then, The Forgotten Age, which starts with an expedition to the ruins of a lost Aztec city. TFA had more of a mixed reception; the difficulty is spiky with a lot of potential trauma for the investigators, and a couple of scenarios are pretty forgettable - some of the others are great, though, so it's just more of a mixed bag.

The latest cycle is The Circle Undone, but only the deluxe box has been released so far. It returns to Arkham, dealing with the Silver Twilight Lodge and witchcraft.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

The TFA difficulty is very frontloaded in the first 2 scenario's and FFG devs came out and said they overshot it.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Plavski posted:

Me and the Mrs are looking to get back into this after bailing around the middle of Dunwich. How have the campaigns been since then? We're most interested in Carcosa, but did it turn out good?

Why'd you bail? It might help to know why you weren't into it before.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Why'd you bail? It might help to know why you weren't into it before.

Oh we just kinda faded out of it as our gaming nights gradually got less and less regular and just eventually stopped. We want to get back to regular nights and with Netrunner, our other game of choice, dying out, we want to get this fired up again. Carcosa piqued out interest especially, so it's good to know it was well received. I'm hoping with a wider card pool we'll also be able to properly give Carnivale a good run, as it was just too brutal the last time we played.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Does the base set + dunwich box have enough cards to build three characters? I'm enjoying the base game and want to get some friends into it, but don't want all our decks to be anemic by sharing good cards.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Orange Devil posted:

The TFA difficulty is very frontloaded in the first 2 scenario's and FFG devs came out and said they overshot it.

Really? I'd love to see what they said. Those two scenarios in the deluxe box are brutal and the supplies system seems to actively punish playing with more people (since there's all the stuff you need to avoid trauma or heal poison that scales either directly or indirectly with the number of players, but you get less points to buy supplies with each investigator you add). Also, the two part scenario before City of Archives is just total balls but (imo) City of Archives itself is so good it makes up for it.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Does the base set + dunwich box have enough cards to build three characters? I'm enjoying the base game and want to get some friends into it, but don't want all our decks to be anemic by sharing good cards.

I think yes, but with a few caveats. You won't be able to overlap any of the factions without proxying. And the decks will probably be slightly suboptimal. If you're okay with those caveats you'll be fine.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Just proxy the cards you want/need.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

apophenium posted:

I think yes, but with a few caveats. You won't be able to overlap any of the factions without proxying. And the decks will probably be slightly suboptimal. If you're okay with those caveats you'll be fine.

With three players and 5 factions, there would have to be overlap. Sounds like my only option is getting a second core set.

Hopefully my group enjoys playing it and I don't spend all this money on a single scenario!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Judge Schnoopy posted:

With three players and 5 factions, there would have to be overlap. Sounds like my only option is getting a second core set.

Hopefully my group enjoys playing it and I don't spend all this money on a single scenario!

If you want to follow the rules of not having cards that you don't own (which for the record my group does and I prefer it), proxy them for the first campaign as if you had two sets before buying a second core set. The first campaign is only three scenarios but it should give your group enough of an idea to decide if it's worth investing in that second core or not.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Also let the first 2 scenario's determine how your group feels about the game rather than the third. If they're digging the atmosphere of the first and the gameplay of the second then you've got a winner. The third scenario is pretty wild in its difficulty ramp-up and honestly just does a bunch of other things that aren't really indicative of the other campaigns.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

How badly will Guardians of the Abyss eat me alive going solo? Should I two hand it to save myself the pain?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So my group cruised through the Miskatonic Museum in Return to Dunwich and were feeling really good about what we had going.

Do I even need to tell you that the train brutally hosed us? At least we opened the engine car but we didn't have the action economy to finish, as we were going to go out to horror from too many dead passengers before we had a chance to get enough clues for the engineer

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yeah that's exactly what our group is doing next, and I'm dreading it (in a good way though). That is such a cool mission that can also absolutely just go off the rails in an instant and leave your whole party screwed.

Also last chapter pack in A Circle Undone just got previewed on the FFG website. New keyword previewed that seems like it could lead to some interesting design space.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alansmithee posted:

Yeah that's exactly what our group is doing next, and I'm dreading it (in a good way though). That is such a cool mission that can also absolutely just go off the rails in an instant and leave your whole party screwed.

Also last chapter pack in A Circle Undone just got previewed on the FFG website. New keyword previewed that seems like it could lead to some interesting design space.

Sixth Sense looks really cool.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

IcePhoenix posted:

Sixth Sense looks really cool.

I like that they're adding more mystic cards that gain bonuses from symbols vs. just negatives. I really want to build Jim again, using a ton of the bag manipulation stuff.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alansmithee posted:

I like that they're adding more mystic cards that gain bonuses from symbols vs. just negatives. I really want to build Jim again, using a ton of the bag manipulation stuff.

This is the best thing about playing Diana for me, it's like "wooooaaaahhhh these cards are awesome"

My favorite combo that I pulled off was an elite that was stupid hard for us to fight getting killed with the combo of Hypnotic Gaze, Dark Prophecy, and Eldritch Inspiration.

I also surprised my friend a bit with how good Jewel of Aureolis is. I figured I didn't need a will buff accessory since my will is usually so high anyway (and my cards that use will also buff it for the tests) and it goes off basically every turn.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

New spoilers, but only for those with excellent vision: https://imgur.com/9zYmGfZ

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/4/1/the-dogwich-legacy/

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
...and now I'm deeply depressed that's not a real thing

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

That’s a good one!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The artwork being the same high quality as all the rest of the cards is what really sells it for me. Though the cat constrictor is a thing of nightmares

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Table scraps needs a deawback for staying in your hand.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

so fhtagn, much Ia!

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really enjoy the investigator's names, especially the fact that Rex Murphy fits so perfectly.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Barkham Horror is great—my only regret is the lost opportunity of having Investigator Duke, whose signature asset would be his bumbling but lovable ally Stinky Pete.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/4/23/the-black-book/

New FAQ, which includes a "list of taboos" that serves as a restricted list if you want a challenge. it either increases the cost of a card or changes the text (ie: Doc Milan exhausts after using his reaction)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Interesting additions and may spice up some deckbuilding for sure. On a personal note, it's pretty funny that they just made The Witching Hour easier five minutes after we finished our game after both being mentally taumatised and losing it. Ah well :D

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Building a solo Carolyn Fern deck seems like an interesting challenge, but I wonder if there's enough card support for her yet. She has a lower than usual stat line and her ability to generate extra resources seems fairly action intensive. Also, being restricted to level zero weapons is a pretty big handicap for a Guardian. But then she does have good base intellect and full access to Seeker and Mystic kit, and generating extra resources is strong if you can leverage it well.

On the face of it, the whole 'heals horror' theme seems like a pretty big deck-building trap. Cards like First Aid or Clarity of Mind are garbage that I don't want in my deck no matter who I'm playing. I'm not even sure Peter Sylvestre is worth it after reading the insights from this guy's deck which is kind of the only one currently listed which has any real thoughts behind it.

Having said that, you obviously do need ways to heal horror. And every deck needs a way to reliably deal +2 damage per attack, so I've decided to try the new Meat Cleaver weapon from The Secret Name. I figure with trickle horror from the scenario plus that weapon, there will probably be enough to keep Peter Sylvestre busy every turn. The alternative is Shrivelling but I don't like the limited charges and the fact that she won't be able to upgrade it.

With low base strength my plan for enemy management is the Cleaver plus the Physical Training (2)/Well Prepared combo, figuring that her excess resources will be enough to keep it powered up. Dynamite Blast is another affordable drain, and it's a one-of along with Prepared for the Worst because they'll both eventually be put under Stick to the Plan. I feel like I'll probably need either more tutoring or another way to kill things without the Cleaver, but I'm not sure what that should be.

I do like the Ancient Stone -> Ancient Stone - Minds in Harmony (4) combo with Shrewd Analysis (upgrading the second AS is guaranteed to be the horror healing one because it's the only eligible upgrade for her) as that gives you some really efficient horror healing.

I was thinking of trying Return to the Dunwich Legacy with this deck. I don't get to play as much as I'd like and I'm still a rookie deck builder, but I'm hoping others here have tried solo Carolyn or at least have some thoughts about how she might work. One last thing : I think Hypnotic Therapy is one of the strongest signature cards in the game but it's paired with a fairly mediocre investigator (at least with the current card pool). But that doesn't mean playing Carolyn can't be fun, right?

Carolyn "The Cleaver" Fern

Assets
2x Physical Training (Core Set)
2x Magnifying Glass (Core Set)
2x Peter Sylvestre:Big Man on Campus (The Dunwich Legacy)
2x St. Hubert's Key:Cleansing Fire (Black Stars Rise)
1x Shrewd Analysis (Threads of Fate)
1x Hypnotic Therapy (The Circle Undone)
2x Meat Cleaver (The Secret Name)

Events
1x Dynamite Blast (Core Set)
2x Ward of Protection (Core Set)
2x Emergency Cache (Core Set)
1x Prepared for the Worst (Blood on the Altar)
2x Preposterous Sketches (Blood on the Altar)
2x Logical Reasoning (A Phantom of Truth)
2x Second Wind (The Boundary Beyond)

Skills
2x Deduction (Core Set)
2x Perception (Core Set)
2x Eureka! (The Pallid Mask)
2x Take the Initiative (The Boundary Beyond)

Treacheries
1x Random Basic Weakness (Core Set)
1x Rational Thought (The Circle Undone)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

She's just way more of a multiplayer focused investigator tbh. You're gonna have a hard time with her no matter what you do. I wouldn't actually play her with less than three players as there are so many better investigators to spend your time with at one or two player.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

She feels like Minh to me, where she can really do work in 4-player and gets decidedly worse the fewer players are in the game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Man, Daisy is easy mode for Curtain Call (Carcosa sc1). Either Shriveling the Emissary or have another player deal with it when it pops up, wander around and get clues with Milan and Deduction, and parley with the MitPM a few times? The final time we had to parley with him he was stuck in the Lobby so the check was 6 Intellect, when I was set up with folding camera and Milan for a base of 7 before tossing icons. The other enemies are either Rats which even Daisy can deal with pretty easily or fanatics that don't have Hunter and can be avoided pretty well.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

She feels like Minh to me, where she can really do work in 4-player and gets decidedly worse the fewer players are in the game.

I've played 2 campaigns with Minh and she has been the most well rounded and powerful investigator I've yet to see played. She can absolutely dunk on this game in hard solo.

Both campaigns were 2 player. She'd get all the clues and kill half the monsters. She is completely ridiculous.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I recently finished a four player Dunwich campaign that included Carolyn and she was great.

A little bit of heal for the team, a little bit of clue grabbing, the occasional Dynamite, and helped chip away at mobs with Alice Luxley.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've played 2 campaigns with Minh and she has been the most well rounded and powerful investigator I've yet to see played. She can absolutely dunk on this game in hard solo.

Both campaigns were 2 player. She'd get all the clues and kill half the monsters. She is completely ridiculous.

How did you find her weakness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Plavski posted:

How did you find her weakness?

The biggest issue is that it took up a hand and Minh likes magnifying glasses and fire axes. You have a lot of access to 2-3 skill icon cards so it is pretty easy to get rid of and access to Higher Education, Fire Axe, and Madame Labranche means temporarily losing access to skill cards isn't a big deal.

The new Drawing Thin just makes her even more absurd.