Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
in dominions theres two kinds of time outs, the first is at 50 turns everyone runs away and whoever runs away slowest is the winner. the second is at 100 turns everyone just loving instantly dies and the defender is pronounced the winner. in this battle everyone was either a tree and thus unable to leave, or a poor militia foreverally sleepened by said tree so , everyone dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

FilthIncarnate posted:

y'all are like "oh wow why doesn't everyone else come together and defeat the serpent ramc?" and part of the answer is that nobody is getting a good look at him right now

Except Phaecia, surrounded on all sides by seas roiling with hungry fishmen.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
foreverally sleepened and loving it

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

FilthIncarnate posted:

y'all are like "oh wow why doesn't everyone else come together and defeat the serpent ramc?" and part of the answer is that nobody is getting a good look at him right now

Just to be thorough, by this time did everyone know Ramc had taken the sea? Or is the ownership of UW provinces also hidden?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

my dad posted:

From earlier in the thread:

Immobiles tend to win timeout battles since they, well, aren't mobile, and can't run away even if they want to. However, if there's an enemy immobile on the field (like those two buggy dudes), it's guaranteed death for all of them when the second timeout kicks in.

Yea I gotta say those two buggy dudes were some real bullshit for the Irminsul player. I was enraged on their behalf.

Also, throne of creation question. Is it powerful enough for everyone to go to war with Ctis? That site feels right up there with Forge of the Ancients or Astral Gobble Up Yo' Gems (Forget the name) Globals.

If I neighbored Ctis I know I would be trying to talk to his other neighbors for an alliance and pile-up.

Also, thanks everyone for earlier talk about +Paths for certain nations. I created MA Marignon with a Blood Rush, Ethereal and Flame Weapons Bless. My horde of flagellants are hilariously strong and I love that I can turn any province into a decent recruitment center.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they can see who owns ramcs provinces yeah

think more blind men and an elephant

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Those sleeping militia dudes killed the monster tree by sleeping too hard.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

Sage Grimm posted:

but again, phaecia only sees what's adjacent to his island. he can see the troops ramc's using to take his cap circle but he has no way of seeing anything else.

is the stack he's using to knock out pd all of ramc's troops? does ramc have another stack somewhere? two? three? what's his expansion like? where's his god and what's it doing? what mages is he massing? what should phaeacia be researching, as a defensive measure? does he need to be worried about an imminent decapitation strike, or does he have time to work toward something that might let him push back under the waves?

because dominions is so weird and clunky, and because everything is unwieldy and takes a long time, often you have to make decisions that will decisively shape an upcoming battle literal irl days or weeks in advance. but if you can't even glean basic information via scouting, everything just becomes that much harder

(fyi this is a major reason everyone hates playing against the "elf nations"; glamour makes it so your armies are invisible on the world map, meaning all of your enemies are constantly in the dark about your troop movements, composition, etc until you actually fight them, at which point it might be too late to do anything about it)

Triskelli posted:

Just to be thorough, by this time did everyone know Ramc had taken the sea? Or is the ownership of UW provinces also hidden?

Tollymain posted:

they can see who owns ramcs provinces yeah

think more blind men and an elephant

^

also the blind men are fist-fighting each other

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Can't you only see the ownership of neighbouring provinces and provinces with your dominion? So each player only knows about Ramc's presence on their own coastline, not the ownership of the entire ocean.

Though to be fair, in a game with just one UW nation once you know which body of water they're in you can safely assume they own the whole thing.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

my dad posted:

Immobiles tend to win timeout battles since they, well, aren't mobile, and can't run away even if they want to. However, if there's an enemy immobile on the field (like those two buggy dudes), it's guaranteed death for all of them when the second timeout kicks in.

Ahh gotcha. Makes sense to force a resolution, but still sucks that you can get screwed over by a glitch like that.

Thanks!

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

my dad posted:

from my memory the tree was just spamming fatigue spells at those two dudes, who heroically gave their lives so I could take a cap

Sage Grimm posted:

Personally I didn't go after Pelagia UW because I didn't have a hope of a chance at accomplishing anything and Ulm felt like he was the next biggest threat

Istvun fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 26, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

FilthIncarnate posted:

but again, phaecia only sees what's adjacent to his island. he can see the troops ramc's using to take his cap circle but he has no way of seeing anything else.

Not quite true. The Phaecian national scout commander has the sailing ability. People don't often build their national scouts (a couple of huge exceptions tho) because you generally have to build them from forts and that's a real waste of a fort turn building mages. As soon as I realized that my national scouts can sail I immediately built two small fortresses to pump out 4 scouts a turn, and sailed them everywhere. Sailing is almost as useful as flying on a scout, so I have been sneaking them all over the world's coastlines and have a very clear idea of how huge Pelagia is.

Scouts on the coast can't see what's happening in the middle of the ocean, but I can see enough.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I'm sure there was another LP of Dominions where an Irminsul killed itself by leaving enemy troops perma sleeping until timeout
Seems like kind of a frustrating thing to happen if your big invincible tanky tree can just get hosed over by someone sitting around and doing nothing. Is this a rare thing to have happen or are tank gods just not that good to rely on?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

CountryMatters posted:

I'm sure there was another LP of Dominions where an Irminsul killed itself by leaving enemy troops perma sleeping until timeout
Seems like kind of a frustrating thing to happen if your big invincible tanky tree can just get hosed over by someone sitting around and doing nothing. Is this a rare thing to have happen or are tank gods just not that good to rely on?

they're good, but the AI is real bad and fucks you all the time

I suspect in this case jotunheim didn't have access to any spells that could just kill my dudes or summons (which the AI would prefer) so it just kept casting sleep spells

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
True story:

The option to move and cast spells was added because the AI kept shrugging and going of script as soon as an enemy unit was 0,01 mm too far away.

I can't even remember how many battles I've lost in Dom4 'cause I misjudged how many turns I had to let my mages run forward before the enemy was in range.Or completely forgot this "range"-thing and kept wondering why my mages were going off-script so often :shepface:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I've never figured out how to script short range spells to any real effect.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

OOrochi posted:

Ahh gotcha. Makes sense to force a resolution, but still sucks that you can get screwed over by a glitch like that.

Thanks!

If it were up to me, I'd add teleporting "bogey man" monsters with magical armor negating attacks and high magic resist that start spontaneously appearing at the second timeout instead of the kill everything thing and prioritize units with high fatigue. If they kill the enemy before they kill you, you win and survive. If they still can't kill everyone, add a third timeout to spawn bored doom horrors. If THEY can't kill everyone, then gently caress it, nuke the map.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

my dad posted:

If it were up to me, I'd add teleporting "bogey man" monsters with magical armor negating attacks and high magic resist that start spontaneously appearing at the second timeout instead of the kill everything thing and prioritize units with high fatigue. If they kill the enemy before they kill you, you win and survive. If they still can't kill everyone, add a third timeout to spawn bored doom horrors. If THEY can't kill everyone, then gently caress it, nuke the map.

make it so the final time limit doesn't kill everyone, it just pauses the battle in place and continues it on the next turn

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

How are u posted:

Not quite true. The Phaecian national scout commander has the sailing ability. People don't often build their national scouts (a couple of huge exceptions tho) because you generally have to build them from forts and that's a real waste of a fort turn building mages. As soon as I realized that my national scouts can sail I immediately built two small fortresses to pump out 4 scouts a turn, and sailed them everywhere. Sailing is almost as useful as flying on a scout, so I have been sneaking them all over the world's coastlines and have a very clear idea of how huge Pelagia is.

Scouts on the coast can't see what's happening in the middle of the ocean, but I can see enough.

I have a feeling this is information that wants very badly to be free.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
"Pelagia is going to expand massively and is advantaged vs the field" was pretty much the scuttlebutt in the discord channel starting turn 2 or so

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What kind of spooky horror is that Marignon has for a neighbour? Is it one of the really nasty ones?

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
How do you go about making one of those trees even tankier than normal? I assume they don't have many slots for items, so is it mostly just scripting them to cast a lot of self buffs?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

ousire posted:

How do you go about making one of those trees even tankier than normal? I assume they don't have many slots for items, so is it mostly just scripting them to cast a lot of self buffs?

Personal Regeneration, Temper Flesh, Elemental Fortitude. +10% regen, half physical damage and resist 10 to most elements respectively.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The mechanic to tic off additional damage at the end of a battle is already there (poison, decay, bleeding). So there's no need to have special monsters show up.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Speleothing posted:

So there's no need to have special monsters show up.

:)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 34

This looks pretty quiet.

Construction 6 means I can start making water bottles and starshine caps and all the good Construction 6 stuff. I also I realize I have no s2 wizards in any of my labs and have to recall a dude so he can make the booster.

That spy is still doing stuff. Eriu denies it is them and I am moving dudes in to patrol it out.

Another one? I'll find a use eventually.

Knock it off!!!!

Fukken peasants where is better than this????

oh

fickle peasants

This is a pretty quiet calm-before turn. I see a LOT of Phaecia troops on the right side of the sea who I bet are about to try to sail to TC. I have troops of my own moving to make landfall and steal a few quick things there myself. I will avoid hitting the province I think Phaecia is most likely to hit. The Phelegra army moves to another fort leaving a scout on the previous one or something.

I move into position to threaten the throne this turn at least.

There should be some more interesting things next turn certainly at least. They all can't be barn burner cool turns I guess. I'll throw up the next bless chat later today at least.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Are there any good resources for Dominions if I want to look up listings of spells, units, items, etc...? The wikis seems woefully under-populated and I'd legit just like to pour through what can be done in these games.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

KazigluBey posted:

Are there any good resources for Dominions if I want to look up listings of spells, units, items, etc...? The wikis seems woefully under-populated and I'd legit just like to pour through what can be done in these games.

https://larzm42.github.io/dom5inspector/

Ramc
May 4, 2008

:blessed: Earth: What Have They Got, A Lot of Sand? :blessed:

Mountain Survival
Welcome to Earth blesses we are starting on the ground floor here of Mountain Survival. It makes moving through mountains cost 4 less movement points for your sacreds and also make them less likely to starve in them. This only costs 1 earth bless point but it is pretty niche. It depends on the map which more than likely you are going into blind on your placement so GOOD LUCK I GUESS. There are no other 1 point earth blesses so maybe you will end up with a weird remainder.

Reinvigoration
For 2 earth bless points your blessed sacreds gain 1 point of reinvigoration, which lets you recover from 1 additional fatigue per turn. You can even take it multiple times to stack with itself. It's a good bless all around for wizards- it lets them cast longer- and soldiers- it helps offset encumbrance that eventually tires them and get them killed. It isn't flashy but it is just low key good.

Reconstruction
For 2 earth bless points you end up with the option to take this weird bless where your sacred inanimate statues (IE- you are playing Agartha) can recover HP without a lab being in the province. It helps preserve your units from being worn down in an extended campaign and at least it is pretty cheap. Agartha even gets bonus earth bless points they are BEGGING you to take this bless off the lot.

Strength of the Earth
For 3 bless points you can gain the STRENGTH OF THE EARTH which is just like the blood version bless where you get +2 strength and can stack it with itself. It also stacks with the blood bless if you want to go like earth 6/blood 6 and give all your sacreds +8 strength that is kind of a lot to be honest. It's a good, honest bless for cracking skulls. Not flashy, but not bad.

Unbreakable
Things get a bit more interesting here. For 4 earth bless points your blessed sacreds gain 75% resistance to gaining afflictions. Whenever a unit takes damage they have a chance to get a permanent injury (an affliction). The chance is roughly equal to the %% of their HP they lost from the strike. Unbreakable will help prevent attrition on your sacreds and also help your expander god avoid getting the otherwise inevitable limp and chest wounds.

Fire & Shock Resistance
Ah, the good stuff. For 5 earth bless points and an incarnate god you can get Fire and Shock Resistance (Sometimes referred to as FSR for short. You know it is good if someone acronyms it. Or so bad it is funny, I guess.) FSR grants the blessed 10 points of both fire and shock resistance. This is pretty great because those are the most common forms of elemental damage. It's cost effective and a lot of expander god chassis have earth it feels and this helps avoid them getting stun locked by an A2 hill wizard or fatiguing out because a random wizard summoned a fire elemental. Recommended bless. Very good.

Hard Skin
Another good bless, Hard Skin is an incarnate bless that costs 6 earth bless points and grants blessed troops +5 natural protection. It's relatively cheap and helps all-around with the survivability of your sacreds. Natural protection stacks with extant natural protection (but not invulnerability. uh don't try to stack this with stygian skin). It's cost effective and pretty good for an awake expander god.

Fortitude
Fortitude costs 8 earth bless points and is incarnate of course. What it does is blessed sacreds half all physical damage. It feels a bit spendy when you can get some pretty good value damage mitigation from the other incarnate blessings though. Half damage- and also the +5 protection from hard skin, obviously synergize well with blesses that punish people for striking you or not killing you outright (your fire shields, your regenerations).

That's earth. It's sort of blandly effective and low key good but nothing really world shattering. Though.... it feels like there was one other earth bless? That I'm missing? Maybe it got patched out yep that must be it. That's definitely every earth bless super for sure.

Culka
May 20, 2007
Nothing

Ramc posted:

Mountain Survival
Welcome to Earth blesses we are starting on the ground floor here of Mountain Survival. It makes moving through mountains cost 4 less movement points for your sacreds and also make them less likely to starve in them. This only costs 1 earth bless point but it is pretty niche. It depends on the map which more than likely you are going into blind on your placement so GOOD LUCK I GUESS. There are no other 1 point earth blesses so maybe you will end up with a weird remainder.

Mountain survival also lets you cross mountain passes in cold scales which can be really good in the right map.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Culka posted:

Mountain survival also lets you cross mountain passes in cold scales which can be really good in the right map.

Snow Move too, but yeah the problem is that 'good on the right map' part because starts are randomized and you probably don't know the map either unless you are some sort of insane details man. lol just lol if you don't blind sign up for games without looking at the details.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Lol just lol if you don't take all the survival blesses and also the 'patched out' earth bless and also Wind Walker and also Water Breathing

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ramc posted:

That's earth. It's sort of blandly effective and low key good but nothing really world shattering. Though.... it feels like there was one other earth bless? That I'm missing? Maybe it got patched out yep that must be it. That's definitely every earth bless super for sure.

For someone that has no clue about Dominion, what is this bless that is so awful Ramc is "pretending" it never existed?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

Lol just lol if you don't take all the survival blesses and also the 'patched out' earth bless and also Wind Walker and also Water Breathing

gotta go fast

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ramc posted:

gotta go fast

terminator until you actually get shot

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

Omobono posted:

For someone that has no clue about Dominion, what is this bless that is so awful Ramc is "pretending" it never existed?

"Larger" costs 5E 4E + 3N (it is a tragedy that there aren't more cross-path bless options). It gives:

• Size +1
  • +30% HP
  • Strength +3
  • Defense Skill -1
  • +2 Map Move (please note this doesn't mean 2 provinces extra)

WOW! That sounds pretty interesting, you say to yourself. That will really improve my sacreds!

Sadly, moments later you recall that (1) this does not provide trample, (2) your sacreds now no longer fit two-per-square and thus end up getting mobbed more easily, which is exacerbated as an issue with the lowered defense and (3) none of their other stats change; they are still the same dweebs as before, pros and cons alike (i.e. this does not actually do much for them).

Basically, if your sacred was previously giant, this doesn't do much since they were already killing anything in one solid hit anyway and had good HP and you'd have been better spending the points on FSR and Regeneration. If they weren't already giants, that "+ 30% HP" is probably realistically like +6 HP at most and again you would have been better off with the points elsewhere.

Now, if they added Trample as an ability with this (even if they made it a bit more expensive), I'd be listening.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 28, 2019

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
4E+3N, also it's always on. Still bad though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

You could probably do some gimmick bless with it as one of the nations that actually get spells that summon sacred troops with trample, but yeah it's overall not a very good choice.

Incidentally, all of those summonable sacreds with trample are either toads or boars of some description. The toads are basically exclusive to C'tis and Mictlan, who have MUCH better things to be doing with their points, so that leaves boars. Which is basically EA Marverni, who I guess could put together some sort of strategy of size 4 boars (so they can actually trample cavalry too!), and Jotunheim with their special EVIL boars (with heat aura too) who could probably do similar. Both reach their multi-summon boar spells at Conj 3, so it's certainly a doable gimmick.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I did okay as EA Niefelheim using enlarged, regenerating Niefel Giants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

rad, thanks!

So for someone utterly unversed in these games who just follows along LPs, what high-end summon / Conjuration spells constitute actual win condition game plans? I've read about the Tartarian Gate strat, that's all about curing whatever Titans you get and decking them out in decent gear to curb stomp combat, right? Any other high end summon strats?