Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fuligin posted:

the prequel scripts were some garbo but the art and design was loving on point. The new ones just putting like a red stripe on a tie fighter is some weak baby poo poo

It's so dense, every frame has so much going on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i was too young to see the phantom menace in theaters but when i did first see it i thought the droids were cool and was glad they were winning against the gungans

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's true that they bothered to design original looking ships and thought like "how could Star Destroyers have evolved from this." Now it's just slap some lols together and yeah paint a stripe on it.

How does the First Order have multiples of some huge fuckoff ship that could probably take down a Super Star Destroyer? :iiam: Maybe Snoke fuckin' found a star forge.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Apr 26, 2019

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

jakodee posted:

They literally have the voices of Adam Sandler trying to sound Chinese.

What the gently caress
E: okay so this isn't true but I hate that I could believe it

I literally would have never made the Chinese connection if it hadn't been pointed out to me because I don't think I've ever heard someone like, mocking a Chinese person in a similar way at all?

im on the net me boys has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Apr 26, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

im on the net me boys posted:

What the gently caress
E: okay so this isn't true but I hate that I could believe it

I literally would have never made the Chinese connection if it hadn't been pointed out to me because I don't think I've ever heard someone like, mocking a Chinese person in a similar way at all?

ah, so!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't make that connection myself either when I saw it (mind you I was a little white kid) but it's not hard to see imo. I mean the dude mixes up his Ls and Rs that's pretty dang on the nose.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 22:50 on Apr 26, 2019

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Moridin920 posted:

I didn't make that connection myself either when I saw it (mind you I was a little white kid) but it's not hard to see imo. I mean the dude mixes up his Ls and Rs that's pretty dang on the nose.

I have watched this movie so many times and never once heard the Ls and Rs being mixed??? Then again these days my hearing is bad and I watch everything with subtitles so that might be why I never noticed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WampaLord posted:

It's so dense, every frame has so much going on...

The prequels own, because they are a journey into the madness of one man who was given way too much power, it's like somebody's manifesto scrawled in poo poo on the inside of a bathroom stall, but in movie form. The Disney movies are just awful by the numbers generic blockbusters.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I have watched this movie so many times and never once heard the Ls and Rs being mixed??? Then again these days my hearing is bad and I watch everything with subtitles so that might be why I never noticed.

you never noticed it because it's not there

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the rifftrax for the prequels just has them giggling with absurdity at the trade federation guys and saying things like "ahh we mustah invade okinawa" and "ohh noh jedi cook us likeah orange chicken"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

It's a subtle movie, yes

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I went and watched a clip on YouTube that has a bunch of the trade federation dialogue from the first episode. The stereotyping is definitely obvious now that it's been pointed out to me, but none of those Ls or Rs are switched unless I just can't hear right

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
did you see them bowing

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

did you see them bowing

I think I remember them doing that with Lord Sidious? I don't know how this could have gone so over my head

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I think I remember them doing that with Lord Sidious? I don't know how this could have gone so over my head

Tbf, Sidious is definitely someone you always bow to

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

I asked my fiance why he never brought this up when I made him rewatch it with me and he thought I already knew and he does not like the first movie because of the trade federation Chinese stereotypes
I used to get high and rewatch this and now all I have is racism

Dec 26, 2012

phasmid posted:

I remember seeing a novelization in Borders back when it came out. Written by Terry Brooks, master of high fantasy, whose best known work is a complete and total ripoff of LotR, right down to inconsequential details.

oh man even when i read the gently caress out of a bunch of lovely fantasy books it was obvious to me that shannara was even more of a ripoff than most

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

phasmid posted:

I remember seeing a novelization in Borders back when it came out. Written by Terry Brooks, master of high fantasy, whose best known work is a complete and total ripoff of LotR, right down to inconsequential details.

No poo poo I started reading the first in that series a few months ago, completely unaware of the similarities. About 3 chapters in I went all ‘this sounds a lot like the loving hobbit/fellowship’ and looked up the series on Wikipedia. I haven’t touched it since because holy poo poo dude.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/ecb/status/1121790207009800192?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MizPiz posted:

Tbf, Sidious is definitely someone you always bow to

Much like magpies

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

yeah I didn't even know what historical stereotype it was supposed to be but they sound like nick mullen doing chinese voice

they were really great looking considering the quality of 1999 CGI, and this was put to use by having like two characters have an extremely boring walk-and-talk about nothing in front of a wild sci-fi skyline

and by morphing together multiple takes

https://fat.gfycat.com/EthicalCapitalAmmonite.webm

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Let žižek enlighten you in the 2nd best Star Wars content from the past 30 years, his overview of the Phantom Menace in The Fragile Absolute — or, Why is the Christian Legacy Worth Fighting For?:

having a hard time with this one

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

having a hard time with this one

It's a whole lot of words to say that writers use stereotypes instead of creating actual characters with any depth because it's easier

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
I seem to vaguely remember rumors around the time that Watto was supposed to be a stereotype of Jews (hook nose, merchant, etc.)

My dad took me to see it when it came out and while I thought it was decent I was also ten. I think he was disappointed in the movie (and later, in me.)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the jedi council are the neoliberal order, bernie sanders is anakin, the establishment candidates are the younglings, putin is palpatine

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

the jedi council are the neoliberal order, bernie sanders is anakin, the establishment candidates are the younglings, putin is palpatine

Qui-Gon Jin was Bernie and Palpatine is the DNC, imo

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 211 days!
The only 1=1 political allegory is Nute Gunray, who is Newt Gingrich.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

berth ell pup posted:

I seem to vaguely remember rumors around the time that Watto was supposed to be a stereotype of Jews (hook nose, merchant, etc.)

My dad took me to see it when it came out and while I thought it was decent I was also ten. I think he was disappointed in the movie (and later, in me.)

From what I remember, the guy who voiced Watto is British, and he was actually going for a Marlon Brando in The Godather impression with a more exaggerated Italian accent.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

The only 1=1 political allegory is Nute Gunray, who is Newt Gingrich.

gunray = raygun

reagan

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mace Windu is an obvious stand in for Nick Fury

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

berth ell pup posted:

“Mind tricks don’t work on me, only money!”

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
star wars is bad

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

All wars are bad

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Peanut President posted:

star wars is bad

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Peanut President posted:

star wars is bad

KillerQueen posted:

All wars are bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-t2n_jk1QM

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Peanut President posted:

star wars is bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK10F6iA8E

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

the st is being hailed as such a great work of art that disney has put all SW films post episode 9 on indefinite hiatus lol

the han solo movie did embarassingly bad

i didnt see it but the trailers looked like it would suck and the release was so perfunctory you think disney realized they had a turd

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

WampaLord posted:

I will never understand this argument.

They absolutely did not try to do their own thing, Lucas was just attempting to poo poo out the exact same corporate soulless fanservice that is the sequels but he's so bad at it that we got the mess that is the prequels. He wasn't doing anything clever or innovative, he was doing a very standard basic formula and he hosed it up!

I'll do a double lightsaber! Now I'll do TWO lightsabers! NOW FOUR LIGHTSABERS!!!!

Because he wants to sit around with his coffee and film shot reverse shot on a blue screen. This whole "well at least the prequels were different" when different = total dogshit is the weirdest defense by far. At least the people who claim it's secretly a great political allegory have put some amount of thought into their terrible prequel defense theory.

Of course they have shameless fanservice. That's the whole point of making another star wars trilogy.

The prequels incorporate all the setting elements of star wars but they did their own thing by having their own story beats. The prequel trilogy tells a fall from grace. The story of Anakin becoming Vader is a tragedy. That's inherently different from the traditional heroic adventure of the original trilogy and it's Disney successor.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dreddout posted:

Of course they have shameless fanservice. That's the whole point of making another star wars trilogy.

The prequels incorporate all the setting elements of star wars but they did their own thing by having their own story beats. The prequel trilogy tells a fall from grace. The story of Anakin becoming Vader is a tragedy. That's inherently different from the traditional heroic adventure of the original trilogy and it's Disney successor.

That was certainly the goal, but the execution was so bad. If you "do your own thing" but that thing is garbage, I do not have to respect your attempt at doing your own thing. TFA is nothing but a remake of ANH but it's a million times better than any prequel movie because the execution was much better.

The "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" scream might be the stupidest moment in the whole saga if Space Leia hadn't happened in TLJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

yeah what the gently caress was up with space leia I don't feel like that ever got adequately explained