Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

quote:

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If I wanted to roll a Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortle, what would be my options? Monk seems like the best best, but maybe some flavor of Rogue would also work?

Pussy Quipped posted:

Depends if you wanna be a leader, good with machines, cool but crude, or a party dude.

You have to admit you walked right into that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh something really cool was just released on the DM's Guild. Namely an adventure created by the Lead Designer and Writer of the original Baldur's Gate.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/269398/Heroes-of-Baldurs-Gate-5e?src=newsletterDTRPGMattNotesBaldursGate

Who also I just learned is going to be heading up a game studio for WotC.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Arivia posted:

They're not the same across all settings, FR is special due to Kelemvor clearing up Cyric's mess. (And what we think of as the Faerunian nature of the afterlife wasn't really cleared up until 3e, with the Fugue Plane brought into game terms.) A lot of settings (including Dragonlance) are covered in 2e's On Hallowed Ground for Planescape, which discusses what happens in the afterlife for any setting connected to the planes at large. For Eberron, you'd want Faiths of Eberron.

Yeah, I want to say Dark Sun was called out in that book as quarantine zone enforced by the powers to prevent the settings spiritual decay from infecting the rest of the multiverse. Portals to and from were incredibly rare and unstable but prized since smugglers could make a killing trading water for psionic items that are super rare everywhere else.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pussy Quipped posted:

Depends if you wanna be a leader, good with machines, cool but crude, or a party dude.

Way to exclude Venus De Milo

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What more can folks tell me about Cyric?

At present I have a Cleric who is devoted to him (using an adapted version of the Ambition domain from Amonkhet) and I was kind of wondering how it would be possible for some to take his place?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Well, you start with convincing someone to steal the Tablets of Fate

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah, I want to say Dark Sun was called out in that book as quarantine zone enforced by the powers to prevent the settings spiritual decay from infecting the rest of the multiverse. Portals to and from were incredibly rare and unstable but prized since smugglers could make a killing trading water for psionic items that are super rare everywhere else.

I remember a Planescape book that featured some refugees from Dark Sun who had somehow escaped their world.

Josef bugman posted:

At present I have a Cleric who is devoted to him (using an adapted version of the Ambition domain from Amonkhet) and I was kind of wondering how it would be possible for some to take his place?

Well Cyric was a former mortal, who ascended and became the god of Strife, and he stole his powers from other gods, so someone taking his place is possible as he did the same thing.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 25, 2019

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well Cyric was a former mortal, who ascended and became the god of Strife, and he stole his powers from other gods, so someone taking his place is possible as he did the same thing.

He ascended to godhood by returning the tablets of fate the previous god stole from Ao, and Ao rewarded him with godhood. Not exactly the Mazalan method of "just be really cool"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember a Planescape book that featured some refugees from Dark Sun who had somehow escaped their world.

Yeah there was that too, I think there was a plot hook about some of the factions offering a high bounty for reliable portal knowledge that they could use to free slaves/recruit gladiators.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

Imagine every chaotic evil rear end in a top hat rogue party member you've ever played with. Now imagine that your party did something so cool you all became gods including the rear end in a top hat rogue, who proceeded to then describe how he went around killing and usurping all the lovely loser gods.

That's the guy you worship.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Awhhh, that is a bit of a letdown, my present read had it going a bit differently.

Still I will just have to make up something cooler for Sister patience. I am going to have her probably approach things in a much more "reach heaven through Violence" kind of manner.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well he did sorta legit kill Bhaal as a mortal.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well he did sorta legit kill Bhaal as a mortal.

Possibly Mask as well, but my memory is dodgy. Mask was in the form of the sword Godsbane and Cyric broke it in a fit of rage. This was after he ascended to Godhood, though.

There was no way that we could kill a greater power, but at the end of my last great D&D campaign we thwarted Cyric's attempts to assassinate the new Mystra, who he had known as a mortal. This ended up being canon later where Cyric succeeds at same, but we personally made a very powerful enemy and my character became the demigod of illusions and illusionists, which is a portfolio that Cyric had stolen from another minor power.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Wow... I think I made my forgotten realms a lot more breakable.

I mean, currently Cyric is semi-trapped because he got stuck in a big old chair in the lore and he was only able to inspire a young dragonborn foundling to burn down the monastery that raised her to become one of his first clerics, another one of the characters Patrons has ended up trapped in Carceri because he tricked them into betraying their own deity so that Cyric could eat their domain (in this case growth and healing). It's also created a kind of terrifying cult made up of the old Deities remaining bits of power that call themselves the shadow cancer.

So that's going to be fun when/if the players get to it. Do you think I kind of hosed it up?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Wow... I think I made my forgotten realms a lot more breakable.

I mean, currently Cyric is semi-trapped because he got stuck in a big old chair in the lore and he was only able to inspire a young dragonborn foundling to burn down the monastery that raised her to become one of his first clerics, another one of the characters Patrons has ended up trapped in Carceri because he tricked them into betraying their own deity so that Cyric could eat their domain (in this case growth and healing). It's also created a kind of terrifying cult made up of the old Deities remaining bits of power that call themselves the shadow cancer.

So that's going to be fun when/if the players get to it. Do you think I kind of hosed it up?

Ed Greenwood is the creator of the Realms. Whenever anyone asks that question, his response is: "Are you having fun? Yes? Then you're doing the Realms right." Don't worry about it, just do what makes you and your players happy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

Ed Greenwood is the creator of the Realms. Whenever anyone asks that question, his response is: "Are you having fun? Yes? Then you're doing the Realms right." Don't worry about it, just do what makes you and your players happy.

This.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

I mean I'm not a fan of FR but this is the way to run it. Anyone outside the group who gets upset that what you're doing isn't lore friendly enough should get shoved into a locker regardless of setting imo. As long as its keeping with the tone you all set in session 0, who cares.

Josef bugman posted:

Big thing to remember is every religion talks up and lies about how cool their god is and how they very much aren't some loser edgelord. On top of that, Cyric became a god like 3 apocalypses ago so its unlikely people have a clear cut history of what happened that they can trust. You don't even actually need to know what the objective facts are really so believe you're god owns and is so cool he used another god as a sword while we he went around taking out the other gods.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 26, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arivia posted:

Absolutely. The Forgotten Realms is at its best when it is providing a background narrative to run your story, whatever you want it to be, within.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is Mask as embarrassing as he sounds

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's from FR, so yes.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

When I run games I mostly just run them in their own setting with the minimal possible lore needed to explain what's going on because I don't want to have to deal with decades of baggage, but I'm kind of tempted to get Heroes of Baldur's Gate and run it, more because of nostalgia for the video games than caring about the setting in particular.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Well he's the God of Thieves.

Also on Cyric again. His dogma that he promotes to his followers that he is the one true god and all the others are pretenders who are stealing his rightful worship, and then it promotes his life story about how he is the Dark Sun and one true god and literally every word is bullshit.

Cyric's ultimate work was a book called the Cyrinishad. A magic tome that causes any who read it or hear it read (And you can't stop reading) to believe that Cyric is the one true god like the book spouts. It would even work against deities as Cyric discovered when he read it himself and was driven insane by believing all of his own lies.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ha, that hasn't really worked properly with Sister Patience. She's very polite but also extremely happy to betray her own God in pursuit of her own ascension. Which is going to be interesting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should also mention "The True Life of Cyric" it's a book that was created to counter the Cyrinishad. Anyone who hears the true story of Cyric's life will be freed from the lies of the Cyrinishad, as Cyric was himself. (Which caused him to become much more competent when he was not longer held back by insanity.)

Both books have been long lost in the Realms.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should also mention "The True Life of Cyric" it's a book that was created to counter the Cyrinishad. Anyone who hears the true story of Cyric's life will be freed from the lies of the Cyrinishad, as Cyric was himself. (Which caused him to become much more competent when he was not longer held back by insanity.)

Both books have been long lost in the Realms.

I remember reading those novels and finding them interesting by dint of an original premise. At the end of the story arc Cyric is brought to trial essentially for incompetence and not fulfilling his godly duty to sow strife. He's healed of his madness by this point, and is found essentially innocent as he unintentionally bred strife during his madness, therefore he was doing his duty. This was the same arc where Kelemvor was accused of incompetence via mercy as he was being too kind to heroic, virtuous people in the afterlife rather than following the rules. I enjoyed this series of novels as it was an interesting departure from the norm.

Edit: Never mind

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 26, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I don't know much about 5e, but I'm going to try playing in a game with some friends who are. I'm somewhat familiar with 3.5.

What's a strong character build? My friends tend to optimize, but I don't want to ask one of them for help directly because that would be lame. :v:

I was leaning towards fighter since apparently they're good now, but I don't really know what's any good in 5e.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't know much about 5e, but I'm going to try playing in a game with some friends who are. I'm somewhat familiar with 3.5.

What's a strong character build? My friends tend to optimize, but I don't want to ask one of them for help directly because that would be lame. :v:

I was leaning towards fighter since apparently they're good now, but I don't really know what's any good in 5e.

What level are you going to be playing? And what type of fighter, ranged/ melee, or by fighter do you just mean any sort of primarily damage focused class?

Anyway real easy would be a Half Orc Fighter, I'm gonna assume standard array but if not using standard array STR>CON>everything else

Weapon is a Halberd
Wear the heaviest armor you can get. (plate typically at higher levels)

Standard Array
str 14 (16)
dex 8
con 15 (16)
int 10
wis 13
cha 12

At level 1 choose the Great Weapon Fighting or Defense Fighting Style

At level 3 go battle master and take some manuevers (I really like trip attack and riposte)

At Level 4 as your ASI take Great Weapon Master.

At level 6 take Polearm Master

This is a real simple version of the build, but you will poo poo out a good amount of damage have good ac (better if you choose defense style)

(note their are more optimal builds out their but this one will do pretty well all in all)

Also, Fighters are good but, and it isn't nearly as severe as in 3.5, there is still caster supremacy at higher levels in 5e so do keep that in mind.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 26, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Cuntellectual posted:

You are a necromancer. You raise an army of the dead and trivially own everyth - ow, ow, fine!

Fighter isn't bad. The best dps build seems to be archery. You are a variant human*, and take the sharpshooter feat. You grab the archery combat style and go battle master, because champion is a trap and EK is better for melee guys. You take maneuvers that grant advantage or a hit bonus and use that to compensate for sharpshooter, then you roam the land, dunking on fools with high ranged DPS.

If you're doing melee fighter I recommend something similar to the halberd build below, with the caveat that you can grab sentinel and actually tank things.

*as far as I can tell there is no reason to play anything else, ever.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Elven Accuracy is a very compelling reason to play Elves or Half-Elves in certain builds.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cuntellectual posted:

Honestly you will probably be safe with near anything you pick.

Madmarker has one of the best optimized builds, but it's pretty hard to make an outright bad character in actual play.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm in the exact same boat, but I decided to go druid. From what I've read (the campaign hasn't started yet so I don't know first-hand) they are super good if you go Circle of the Moon. I used to always play bards in 3.5 and Lore Bards seem really nice too since they get a bunch of spells from literally any casting class in addition to normal bard stuff.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Conspiratiorist posted:

Elven Accuracy is a very compelling reason to play Elves or Half-Elves in certain builds.

Double Lucky as a Halfling is pretty entertaining too.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cuntellectual posted:

Classes in rough order of power:

Bard: Do anything depending on your build, often better than the class that does only that thing
Other "Full" 9-level casters
Melee characters with some magical powers (Paladins, Monks)
Rogues
Barbarians
Fighters
PHB Rangers

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 26, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Where are Rogues in that list?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

You are a necromancer. You raise an army of the dead and trivially own everyth - ow, ow, fine!

Fighter isn't bad. The best dps build seems to be archery. You are a variant human*, and take the sharpshooter feat. You grab the archery combat style and go battle master, because champion is a trap and EK is better for melee guys. You take maneuvers that grant advantage or a hit bonus and use that to compensate for sharpshooter, then you roam the land, dunking on fools with high ranged DPS.

If you're doing melee fighter I recommend something similar to the halberd build below, with the caveat that you can grab sentinel and actually tank things.

Variant human really loses its luster if you are starting at higher levels. That bonus feat is awesome, but the unique abilities of other races really rack up once the other races have had a chance to select their feats. Moreover Aarakocra are amazing archer fighters. Built in flight is ridiculous on a ranged DPR class.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 26, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

I will slot them in above barbarians just because you have some versatility.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tier lists like that are always funny to me because, even though I know they're objectively true, they've never worked out that way in any games I've played.

Given only my subjective experiences Paladins are like Tier 0, I have yet to play a game in which the Paladin player wasn't constantly preventing everything from going to hell. Meanwhile I've never played with a Bard that could actually use the class competently, and have a tendency to end up as joke characters who have to be rescued from stuff all the time.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Madmarker posted:

What level are you going to be playing? And what type of fighter, ranged/ melee, or by fighter do you just mean any sort of primarily damage focused class?

Also, Fighters are good but, and it isn't nearly as severe as in 3.5, there is still caster supremacy at higher levels in 5e so do keep that in mind.

Starting at level 1. I considered two-handed weapons, but apparently they're not great? Monk also seemed kind of cool since they're apparently not the absolute dumpster-tier class they were in 3.5.

I'm not worried about being the most powerful character in the party or anything, I just want to make sure I can contribute without the DM needing to cheat too much in my favor.

e: Looking over PHB races again, even if the racial abilities aren't that useful, playing a dragonborn monk and pretending to be wolverine with scales seems fun.

Josef bugman posted:

Hiding, obviously. :v:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 27, 2019

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This is a somewhat unpopular opinion in this thread, but as far as combat power goes I think 5e is actually pretty well balanced barring extreme edge cases like PHB Ranger and Four Elements Monk. The actual balancing issues lie in the out-of-combat power and to a lesser but still significant extent versatility within combat. I strongly believe that as far as the hitting monsters phase of the game goes you can't actually go too wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Infinity Gaia posted:

This is a somewhat unpopular opinion in this thread, but as far as combat power goes I think 5e is actually pretty well balanced barring extreme edge cases like PHB Ranger and Four Elements Monk. The actual balancing issues lie in the out-of-combat power and to a lesser but still significant extent versatility within combat. I strongly believe that as far as the hitting monsters phase of the game goes you can't actually go too wrong.

Isn't the PHB Beastmaster Ranger universally agreed to be bad? I made a Hunter Ranger once and it was fine, even if I did totally screw up balancing her stats