Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I slapped a noctua to my i7 920 in 2008 and only had to change fans since then. All fans eventually die or start making annoying noises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Your system isn't in danger. It's very difficult to burn up a modern CPU. you will notice a performance drop and temperature hike. It sucks, but it's not like people need to pull these coolers out if everything is working fine.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, if it's leaking, your system is in danger, alright.

I'm just glad that materials science and engineering figured out how to make air coolers competitive again, because there's no way in goddamn hell I was clipping a 3 pound solid-copper fin stack onto socket A.

These days though, I'm probably more liable to go with one of those expandable kits from EKWB or some poo poo.

Cygni posted:

Biostar confirmed in a round about way that the X570 boards are going to launch at Computex. Weirdly, AMD is also launching a "50th Anniversary Edition" 2700X next month (no clock speed bumps or anything, its just a 2700X).

Seems like mixed signals about Zen2. Like if they had Zen2 availability planned the same month, I imagine one of those would be branded the "Anniversary Edition". Unless there is more than 1? Computer part naming is stupid.

What, not even top .5% bins a la 8086K?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
:stare: maybe I missed some discussion on this but I thought those were filled with glycol or stuff that wouldn’t allow it to be filled up with organic goop.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ethylene glycol concentrations above 25% don't kill bacteria, they just don't let bacteria grow and take over everything.

Actually, I think the magic number is something like 22%, but the point is, if the concentration didn't hit 22% at minimum, it wouldn't stop goop from building up, if they did not add some other biocide to the mix.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
With heatpipes you already get most of the benefits of water cooling without the downsides other than bulk directly on the CPU.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What, not even top .5% bins a la 8086K?

Supposedly not :/

But you do get Lisa Su's signature burned into each one if you got the hots for her!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cygni posted:

Supposedly not :/

But you do get Lisa Su's signature burned into each one if you got the hots for her!

Presumably you forgo a CPU cooler so you can show it off?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

also either thats a fake or AMD's marketing department sucks so be skeptical. its from WCCF afterall

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

It was really a LSU (Local Store Unit, aka scratch pad memory) and not like the L1 cache in a modern x86 chip (or one of that time period either).

By "like L1 cache" I meant in terms of speed. Six cycles from memory to registers was in the order-of-magnitude of L1 latency of the PPU.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

From what I recall of some of the comments from the guys over at B3D that actually had to make games on the thing that meant that pretty much all the memory management on the LSU's had to be done by the programmer by "hand" (compilers were supposed to help (since the SPU's supported branch hints) and did but never well enough to make up for the deficiencies of the LSU or lack of a proper branch predictor in the SPU's themselves), which was apparently quite difficult to do and was a major limiting factor in getting performance out of the SPU's. Particularly for the first few years the PS3 was out. Also the LSU's latency wasn't all that great (neither was the EIB's if you couldn't sustain a high level of concurrency with your work load which made things worse) and so any sort of cache misses or branch mispredicts were massively penalizing to performance (made even worse by the deeply pipelined and in order nature of the SPU's).

Performance on general code for the SPU's wasn't just inefficient, it was abysmal, and as a result pretty much anything that required general (read: has branches and/or not highly parallel in nature) performance was ran on the PPE and not the SPU's by developers for the entire life of the PS3.

So long as the work load was highly parallel in nature, most of the relevant data stayed in the LSU or could be easily streamed in and out of the LSU, and had little or no branches in the code the SPU's could indeed be made to perform very well. The problem was lots of work loads didn't fit well or at all within those restrictions and so while the SPU's hypothetically offered heaps of performance on all but a few real world work loads that potential was never realized.

While it was cool that it could do stuff like graphics or animations pretty quickly ultimately those tasks could've been more efficiently handled by the GPU or perhaps a task dedicated processor like a DSP. It was Cell's inability to perform as well as it was advertised to initially on generalized work loads, short of heroic feats of programming effort, that caused it to be seen as largely a failure as a CPU.

I understand the system well, my PS3 code has shipped in a lot of games. The SPU had really short (6 cycle) pipelines, compared to the PPU (at 23). It was definitely less efficient than the PPU for general tasks, but the efficiency was mitigated by there almost always being more SPU capacity to spare, at least compared to the PPU which was always a bottleneck. I had a lot of fun fitting things onto the SPU that weren't what you would think would suit a co-processor.

General purpose computing on GPU was still a few years out when the PS3 and Xbox 360 were conceived. The SPUs were better than DSPs for audio if only because console DSP hardware always seems to be a broken clusterfuck. The type of animation computation we did on the SPUs was a poor fit for GPU anyways, even once the consoles gained GPGPU capability that system never migrated.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

:stare: maybe I missed some discussion on this but I thought those were filled with glycol or stuff that wouldn’t allow it to be filled up with organic goop.

They just didn't get the mixture high enough it seems. However another problem is that when I took me cooler apart, it was actually pressurized. Nothing like what happened when Steve took theirs apart. Like, I took the fill port screw off the block and there was a spray of liquid on my face, the wall, and ceiling in my bathroom. I guess I was lucky to be wearing my glasses at the time. It probably would have really sprung a leak from the increased pressure and especially if it had still been in use and heated up over and over.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

i had to dig up this old post because lmao

it's a miracle that anything got shipped on the ps3

"The Itanium approach...was supposed to be so terrific—until it turned out that the wished-for compilers were basically impossible to write."

SlayVus posted:

I switch to a ThermalRight Silver Arrow TR4 with an additional two Noctua NF-A12s two weeks ago.

You know, I take a resolute stand that I don't give a poo poo about the appearance of my PC's guts. No RGB, no case windows, no painstaking "clean look" cable routing, the computer is just a box that sits on the floor and how the inside looks doesn't matter...

But I gotta admit that cooler, with all the fat chrome heatpipe caps, looks real loving good. Like it's gonna make engine rev noises when you boot up.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 27, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I find that not running wires in front of my fans or other components is both sexy and helpful

That being said I also have a windowless case

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

That being said I also have a windowless case

:same:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Statutory Ape posted:

I find that not running wires in front of my fans or other components is both sexy and helpful

1: tangle of loose cables flopping through the middle of the case like it's 1999 in here
2: cables lying along the bottom of the case or bundled to the sides of the airflow, but still visible
3: fetishistic routing & wrapping of cables like you are the victorians and wires are ankles

level 2 is useful, level 3 is aesthetic

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Trying to route the wires cleanly usually starts out OK, until at some point, I start wanting to take my own life and give up on it. When I tossed the external fan controller in it, I just went with shortest path and have wires all over the place in the case. That said, I'd love to have a plain windowless case to begin with. Kinda like the NZXT H700 without window, but it's a poo poo case for airflow, too (removing the front panel dropped my water temps by more than 2.5°C, at idle).

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I've found that a good case can really make the cable management easy, especially if you have a modular psu too. If you have a psu shroud or a basement it's the perfect place to stash cables, and then you just run everything else behind the motherboard tray

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Interestingly, Gamers Nexus just posted a video about Enermax AIO gunk buildup:
https://youtu.be/HC1kzO_gIp4

e: redundant post, my bad!

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 28, 2019

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Space Racist posted:

Interestingly, Gamers Nexus just posted a video about Enermax AIO gunk buildup:
https://youtu.be/HC1kzO_gIp4

It's on the previous page which prompted the discussion.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I wonder if changing the coolant and adding a biocide (or just adding the biocide) right out of the package would help prevent buildup in the first place. I mean, you shouldn't have to, but right now there aren't that many other options, the Noctua isn't really intended for heavy overclocking (not sure why they didn't release a D15S variant for it too).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Stickman posted:

Presumably you forgo a CPU cooler so you can show it off?

How can I cook dinner if i use a cpu cooler?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrmu_8LH88U

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There's a bit in that GN video where he offhandedly says that maybe the rubber gasket is degrading. If that's the case (or if some metal parts are being eaten away) then more biocide won't help, or at best will delay symptoms.

But it's hard to say because the big baby didn't want to touch anything gross, so he really didn't do much investigating.

VostokProgram posted:

I've found that a good case can really make the cable management easy, especially if you have a modular psu too. If you have a psu shroud or a basement it's the perfect place to stash cables, and then you just run everything else behind the motherboard tray

My main PC case is still an Antec P182 so that probably has some bearing on my attitude. Over 10 years old and it still holds up for acoustics, but the cable management is primitive. But I have a spare PC in a modern corsair case, and I've build for friends in 2 fractal define variants. Even with those I don't route every cable through all the back panel holes and secret passages. The thing about putting absolutely everything in the back panel is that you then have to take the whole thing apart for even minor changes.

And don't get me started on PSU shrouds, which are a pain in the rear end during the build, an even bigger PITA for swapping out a HD, and on many cases are a strict negative for thermals.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

ehnus posted:

By "like L1 cache" I meant in terms of speed. Six cycles from memory to registers was in the order-of-magnitude of L1 latency of the PPU.
6 cycles was about double the latency of the L1 on the PPE though right? x86 CPU's L1 from that time period had around 3 cycle latencies as well. That is no minor difference.

It is definitely lower than typical L2 caches of the time period but for a "L1" it was pretty high latency and in all other ways fell short of what a typical L1 cache did (ie. as far as I know it had no associativity, no store or miss queues, no tagging, no snooping, etc, all that had to handled or implemented or compensated or mitigated for somehow someway by the programmer) so I'd still say its not really reasonable to call it or compare it to a L1 cache.

ehnus posted:

I understand the system well, my PS3 code has shipped in a lot of games.
Good on you then, and I'm not being sarcastic there BTW.

By all accounts from everyone who had to ship something on it that was the most difficult platform to work with by far so if you had great success using it than that is drat impressive. I think your success might be causing you to look back at it with perhaps overly rosy tinted glasses though. Going by other developer comments who also used that hardware, and the fact that development and support for it disappeared as soon as was practical by Sony/IBM, it had far too many shortcomings to give its few rare real world advantages any real praise or positive consideration.

ehnus posted:

The SPUs were better than DSPs for audio if only because console DSP hardware always seems to be a broken clusterfuck.
I don't know of too many comments complaining about the audio hardware in any of the more modern (IMO that would be OG Xbox/PS2 onwards) per se. The only complaints I consistently heard from anyone working on video game audio publicly is that they never really had enough resources or time devoted to them to really accomplish what the hardware was really capable of. Audio in general always seemed to be more of a last consideration compared to the time, money, and effort spent elsewhere like art, or fixing game bugs, marketing, etc.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I went from no side window case to my tempered glass sides phanteks and I love it :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I wonder if they are actually using deionized water or tap water.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Klyith posted:

And don't get me started on PSU shrouds, which are a pain in the rear end during the build, an even bigger PITA for swapping out a HD, and on many cases are a strict negative for thermals.

Don't even get me started on top facing I/O front ports.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Some potential zen2 leaks from a random chinese forum:

• ES is hitting 4.5 all core
  • x570 has 40 PCIE lanes, some used by SATA
  • x570 has 8 USB 3.1 gen2 (or whatever the name is, the usb standards people need to be put down)
  • B550 has no PCIE4
  • x570 potentially has more SATA ports without additional SATA controller? Unless I misunderstood that part of the image.

Overall, alright news I suppose. Really hoping for 4.7 all core on the high end x CPUs, but we'll see.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 28, 2019

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Intel <$200 CPUs are already a tough sell as it is, and AMD getting another +7% IPC and 500MHz or so headroom while keeping current pricing tiers is going to turn that into an idiot check.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Space Racist posted:

Stuff like this makes me never want to sway from air cooling. A NH-D15 may be huge but I can go years without having to even think about it.

I'm way too paranoid about my PC to ever try water cooling. You don't have to worry about a NH-D15 springing a leak while you're away from home*.

*Yeah, I run my PC 24/7 most of the time.

Khorne posted:

Some potential zen2 leaks from a random chinese forum:

• ES is hitting 4.5 all core
  • x570 has 40 PCIE lanes, some used by SATA
  • x570 has 8 USB 3.1 gen2 (or whatever the name is, the usb standards people need to be put down)
  • B550 has no PCIE4
  • x570 potentially has more SATA ports without additional SATA controller? Unless I misunderstood that part of the image.

Overall, alright news I suppose. Really hoping for 4.7 all core on the high end x CPUs, but we'll see.

Interesting, although I'll believe 4.5Ghz on all cores when I see it first hand.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I wonder if changing the coolant and adding a biocide (or just adding the biocide) right out of the package would help prevent buildup in the first place. I mean, you shouldn't have to, but right now there aren't that many other options, the Noctua isn't really intended for heavy overclocking (not sure why they didn't release a D15S variant for it too).

It is pretty weird that they modified the 14s (and 12s!) and didn't bother with a TR4 D15s.

What's your take on the best TR4 aircooling? The small amount of research I've done looks like it puts the Thermalright Silver Arrow on top, but there are probably some options out there that I'm not aware of.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Stickman posted:

What's your take on the best TR4 aircooling? The small amount of research I've done looks like it puts the Thermalright Silver Arrow on top, but there are probably some options out there that I'm not aware of.
Noctua and BeQuiet seem to be way out in front if you care about noise at all: https://www.computerbase.de/2018-12/cpu-kuehler-amd-threadripper-test-luftkuehlung/3/#abschnitt_resultate_im_basistakt

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Stickman posted:

I am underwhelmed by the U14S (and outright disappointed by every other cooler I saw before) but my understanding is that's the best cooler currently available. I hadn't seen results on the Silver Arrow; the money question is of course how it performs with the Noctua fans. Noctua's NF-A12x25 is so good that it completely distorts all results for coolers that aren't using it. Even their older fans beat the poo poo out of most of the stuff on the market.

Right now the air coolers for TR4 are not that great; they are sufficient for maybe OC'ing a x950X or running a 2990WX at stock but they aren't excessive to the task at hand. If you really want to go hot you either get the AIO and deal with the gunk, or you get a waterblock and do a custom loop. If you're doing 2990WX I would prefer the custom loop for sure, you've got the money in the system and you should make the most of it.

Like I said I don't get why they didn't do a D15S for the TR4 platform, if there's a platform that needs it that's the one. A D15S would probably have done better than a U14S as far as sales.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 28, 2019

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Really can't wait for Zen2.. All those sexy PCIe Lanes without having to go Threadripper. Can finally get off my i5 2500K (which has served me pretty well considering its 8 years old now).

We have all these bandwidth hungry standards (NVMe, Thunderbolt 3, USB3.2 on horizon) and still use PCIe standard from almost 10 years ago and less than 20 lanes.

I want to be able to fit like eight NVMe drives in my computer some day.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Palladium posted:

and AMD getting another +7% IPC and 500MHz or so headroom
Supposed to be more like ~15%+ IPC over Zen+, peak all core clocks keep getting hinted at 4.5-4.7Ghz in the rumors so far (the latest clock speed leaks from WCCF/China are for what is rumored to be the 3600X) but single or dual core boosts to 5Ghz seem likely. Power usage and thermals at those speeds are supposed to be "pretty good" too, whatever that means.

Appears that there won't be any sort of special AVX related clock speed reductions too which is also kinda cool.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Supposed to be more like ~15%+ IPC over Zen+, peak all core clocks keep getting hinted at 4.5-4.7Ghz in the rumors so far (the latest clock speed leaks from WCCF/China are for what is rumored to be the 3600X) but single or dual core boosts to 5Ghz seem likely. Power usage and thermals at those speeds are supposed to be "pretty good" too, whatever that means.

Appears that there won't be any sort of special AVX related clock speed reductions too which is also kinda cool.
Some of the OC guys said it can't go over 4.7 stable single core. This was a while ago so no idea how true it is.

I can't wait for real info.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Khorne posted:

Some of the OC guys said it can't go over 4.7 stable single core. This was a while ago so no idea how true it is.
For an older ES stuff like that will be common. Wasn't too long ago some of those guys thought that Zen2 clocks would be terrible because all the APISAK and other ES leaks were showing the very high (48 and 64) core count parts with ~2Ghz or less clocks.

If it can get to 4.5Ghz all core without high temps/watts that is usually a good sign it should be able to do better. Usually near the peak clocks temp and power both start to skyrocket.

Khorne posted:

I can't wait for real info.
Yeah me too.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/Me? No. The leakers are the ones making the claims which I'm essentially just repeating here, and lots of people who'd you expect to actually seem to know about the chip seem to be agreeing with them, or at least not saying they're BS like they normally do when a BS rumor pops up. So yeah they could be BS but at this point I kinda doubt it.\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 28, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You got to 4.5 GHz all-core on a Zen2 sample?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Zen2 is going to have more available PCIe lanes than before? On the same socket? And they're coming directly from the CPU? How's that supposed to work?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Zen2 is going to have more available PCIe lanes than before? On the same socket? And they're coming directly from the CPU? How's that supposed to work?
They're supposed to be coming from the new X570 chipset.

The number of CPU PCIe lanes won't change. Hypothetically the number of lanes to the chipset from the CPU could change but probably won't. They're supposed to be using PCIe 4.0 so bandwidth to the chipset should be about double anyways.

PCIe lanes from the B550 chipset (coming a couple of months or so later) probably won't change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

priznat posted:

I went from no side window case to my tempered glass sides phanteks and I love it :colbert:

I went from no side windows on a Fractal Design R5 to tempered glass/RGB everything on a Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic

:coal: