Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i dont think the arc is hard to follow, im probably just dumb and can't figure out who oda wants us to think the traitor is

from a meta POV, i'd actually be surprised if its kyoshiro, if only because we haven't been "told" yet that he's on the side of the heroes. so to have him secretly be with the heroes, but also betraying them, but be a little strange. the way that they built up yasu in the prior chapter was like classic oda storytelling to reveal he's actually a traitor (think mother caramel) but nope, turns out he's just a genuinely great guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

In a surprise twist it’s Gramps, breaking all of our hearts

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's hawkins

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I feel like Zep's called it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The traitor, or reverse-nakama, is Chopper.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oh yeah speaking of which i was impressed that they translated law saying presumably nakama as comrade

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Heh that weird old guy is going to make us cry like little bitches.
Oda is in full swing it seems.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if kyoshiro is pompadour guy then I've felt like he was a double agent for a while. we'll see tho

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
What are the chances Luffy decides his friends and family are more important than being the freest man I'm the world?

At least 1% right?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Being the freest means not having to make that choice.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

No Wave posted:

Being the freest means not having to make that choice.

being the freest is literally "Untouchable by all" Roger didnt lose. he surrendered. while he was on the sea only those at or near his level challenged him and even then they did it directly. no underhanded tactics...likely because the freest could crash over his foes.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
the rebels being "betrayed" by someone inside for the purpose of them all getting imprisoned, and subsequently released, in one place sounds slightly too galaxy brain for one piece but i think it would be great if thats what happens

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The traitor is the same person who betrayed UA in My Hero Academia. A most despicable being.

There was no traitor, Orochi's ninja secret police are just good at their jobs. Also when like 85% of the country is in simmering rebellion someone's gonna slip up. Especially when noted stealthy and disciplined operatives like the non-lady Strawhats are involved.

Edit: Sorry the non-lady, excluding Vivi, Strawhats. Karoo is pretty rock solid too though. Guess team Alabasta are the gender exceptions.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 27, 2019

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Hey please give props to noted sneaky Strawhat Brook.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Speaking of sneaky straw hats, I still laugh at the gag of Robin being dissappointed she only got basically all the intel on Kaido's forces.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Kinda easy to forget that Robin's been infiltrating criminal and pirate orgs since she was a child and Nami was doing something similar all her life.

Funny to consider that Usopp is basically the only member of the crew who wasn't extraordinarily skilled at something from the get-go; Luffy was a superpowered freak back in East Blue, Zoro probably its best swordsman, Nami a highly skilled thief and genius navigator and mapmaker, and Sanji both a brilliant chef and basically a foot-exclusive martial artist. Usopp's only real skills were upscaled pranks, using his slingshot and telling tall tales. He gets by because compared to most of the others he has a relatively happy, well-rounded upbringing, so he has a variety of basic skills and pursuits, and he's also highly intelligent in his own right as well as cunning and devious, and he's always looking for the next edge and the easiest way to deal with a problem, and thus enthusiastically embraces new technology and ideas and incorporates them into his fighting style.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Usopp is an insane marksman though. He has demonstrated this time and time again. And he was pretty much skilled at that from the get go.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Usopp's extraordinary skill was already being negative. (Actually it was the slingshot, but yeah that was pretty pedestrian up until Enies Lobby when he sniped people with it from so far away they couldn't shoot back.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
In that case he had a major terrain advantage, but still notable for showing off his incredible skill, yeah. I mean more in a setting where ranged combat is usually weaksauce (that said, bullets in One Piece tend to be fairly meaningful when they're allowed to actually hit people, but even then it's rare for just one bullet to do the job and a lot of Devil Fruit users are effectively bulletproof) Usopp tends to have more luck firing basically anything except a piece of lead.

Though there have been a number of plot-significant deaths by gunshot wounds (Fisher Tiger, Queen Otihime, Rocicante) and they're usually taken seriously unless you're Whitebeard-tier, and the standard firearm in the setting is a smoothbore musket or blackpowder pistol, that revolver is mentioned to be rare and high-tech. You'd think the WG would equip the Marines with the latest stuff they have given logistics is their main strength, but they may have their own supply chain issues.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I always thought it'd be a bit interesting to have a straw hat that is just genuinely not good at fighting in any way shape or form. Usopp kind of was that for a while, but he also has always been very skilled at marksmanship and (especially after the time skip) has been pretty good at holding his own.

Luffy obviously loves his crew and works hard to protect them, but I found it a little surprising that while he was building up his crew there was never really a temptation to get a better crew. He started off with the best swordsman, arguably the best navigator, the best chef, the best doctor, the best shipwright, etc. When I started reading I expected more that he'd get some decently skilled but overall middling crew members, but then over time they'd all improve and become the best at what they do. Obviously this happens and they all work hard to improve for the sake of the rest of the crew, but I feel like most of them started out possibly a bit too strong? I dunno.

Getting back on topic, I just think it would be interesting for a straw hat to legitimately bring nothing to the crew other than their own friendship. It's probably too late for this, and wouldn't be interesting enough in the long run so they'd need to find something to work on and improve at, but then I feel it'd be very well-earned.

This is more of a problem I have with anime in general, where the protagonist(s) is always unnaturally talented or gifted at something from the get go, which I feel kind of cheapens their growth a bit. I always find it more interesting when someone who isn't very skilled at something from the start works hard and manages to improve themselves to the point of being very skilled, as it's a much more realistic and nuanced look at things.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Vivi is the useless straw hat

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Vivi is the useless straw hat

We finally found the cursed opinion that pisses off everyone on every side of the "Vivi is/is not a Straw Hat" issue

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I mean I like Vivi and think she's a Strawhat but they're kinda right.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vivi has a duck with a cool hat, what's useless about her!?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Karu should be next in line to rule Alabasta imo.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
She doesn't do anything useful

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Chopper is pretty useless. It's even sort of a plot point, like when Carrot upstaged him fighting Big Mom's fleet and he felt bad.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Arist posted:

Vivi has a duck with a cool hat, what's useless about her!?

The duck with a cool hat was a much better strawhat.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I always saw Vivi as the diplomat/"face" of the group (this is the role she plays in the Drum Kingdom arc, for instance), although Jimbei, Usopp, and even Luffy all play that role as well to varying degrees. If she were to rejoin the Straw Hats, she's have to get a Devil Fruit or something to give her some unique skills.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

I always saw Vivi as the diplomat/"face" of the group (this is the role she plays in the Drum Kingdom arc, for instance), although Jimbei, Usopp, and even Luffy all play that role as well to varying degrees. If she were to rejoin the Straw Hats, she's have to get a Devil Fruit or something to give her some unique skills.

She's doing real princess stuff with queens and kings and junk, I feel no special desire for her to rejoin the crew with the power to command the loyalty of summoned waterfowl or anything.

She'll return to the story leading some army or political party or something and be rad that way.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, at the moment she's still about on the level of Pre-Alabasta Nami and Usopp in terms of fighting ability. I personally don't really care if she becomes a full fledged member of the crew or not but it might be cool if she traveled with and/or fought alongside them again for a brief period at least (plus, I kind of want to see how she'd interact with Robin, Franky, Brook and, should he come back at some point and actually stick around, Jimbei).

At the very least I'd like to see her and Karoo team up with the Strawhats plus Law (and possibly other allies as well) for the final battle, if only just to see the whole band back together one last time.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 27, 2019

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

She's doing real princess stuff with queens and kings and junk, I feel no special desire for her to rejoin the crew with the power to command the loyalty of summoned waterfowl or anything.

She'll return to the story leading some army or political party or something and be rad that way.

There is nothing rad about monarchies. All the kings and queens in this series are no better than the fisbowl head guys

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Terror Sweat posted:

There is nothing rad about monarchies. All the kings and queens in this series are no better than the fisbowl head guys

The pirate king is rad.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Chopper is pretty useless. It's even sort of a plot point, like when Carrot upstaged him fighting Big Mom's fleet and he felt bad.

He's not great at fighting, but he's great at doctoring. Like every non-luffy straw hat would probably be dead if it wasn't for Chopper.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

CodfishCartographer posted:

He's not great at fighting, but he's great at doctoring. Like every non-luffy straw hat would probably be dead if it wasn't for Chopper.

He can doctor, but ever since Law has been in the alliance he's been mostly sidelined in that, too. He got to be useful on Zou at least.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

hes not even the best doctor theyre travelling with

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
afaik chopper's had "I'm weaker than the rest but I want to be useful and pull my weight" as a character beat somewhat recurrently so this works out

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

A fair argument in real-world terms, but One Piece's view has always tended towards "good kings good, bad kings bad." Even Dalton is a king, albeit one elected through universal suffrage. We do occasionally see republics in the One Piece world (e.g., Water 7), but I don't remember them ever being portrayed as inherently better or worse than monarchies.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

When are we going to see Zoro cut loose? He hasn't done that at all in the time skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

afaik chopper's had "I'm weaker than the rest but I want to be useful and pull my weight" as a character beat somewhat recurrently so this works out

It works a lot better with Usopp because Usopp actually does poo poo and is likable. Chopper has been barely a character for ages and seems to exist entirely because he's marketable rather than because he adds anything to the series.