Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Facebook Aunt posted:

You put one on your dick, didn't you?

Rrrrrright on the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is this you OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFssw7WGJNE

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Facebook Aunt posted:

You put one on your dick, didn't you?

Leeches are hermaphrodites so it's not a weird thing to do

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
it's both gay and not gay that way so strictly speaking no one can criticize you

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Schrodinger's dickworm.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

This thread seriously has me wanting pet leeches. I mean, they aren't dangerous, don't need tons of space and they don't eat a lot. I used to have a black widow and some scorpions in my kitchen. At least if leeches escape there isn't much of a "ow! gently caress!" factor.

My poor fiance. I bring the weirdest poo poo home.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

M_Sinistrari posted:

That thread unnerved me so much that I've always kept it in mind when I hear black salve mentioned so a few years back when I developed a tunnelled abscess in my armpit and was doing the head compress treatment the doctor suggested before we discuss the possibility of surgery, I had a coworker who used to be a licensed nurse recommend I use black salve on it to 'draw out the abscess core' otherwise it'll never heal. Obviously never even planned on using the salve and it did creep me out that someone who was a nurse familiar with medicine actually recommending this crap.

Maybe the nurse meant black ointment? It's a real thing (sometimes called drawing salve) that does draw things like ingrown hairs etc to the surface and isn't dangerous. Obviously one should be careful with wording when recommending such things.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

RoboRodent posted:

I think leeches are among the least horrifying things in this thread. They're gross, but harmless. And possibly helpful if you've had a body part reattached and need a friendly and hungry blood-draining source of anticoagulants.

Yep. And also maggots, but I'm not in that google mood. Some things.... :)

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

No, that is a buffalo leech. They're like $300, which is more than I'm willing to spend on a big worm.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Big Centipede posted:

No, that is a buffalo leech. They're like $300, which is more than I'm willing to spend on a big worm.

haha. holy poo poo. there's a website just for mail ordering leeches. free shipping for orders over $500! stock up!

https://www.leech.com/products/asian-medicinal-leech-buffalo-leeches

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

uber_stoat posted:

haha. holy poo poo. there's a website just for mail ordering leeches. free shipping for orders over $500! stock up!

https://www.leech.com/products/asian-medicinal-leech-buffalo-leeches

There's more than one. I ordered mine from a different site.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Otteration posted:

Yep. And also maggots, but I'm not in that google mood. Some things.... :)

Yeah, but maggots turn into flies and are thus extremely unpleasant.

Leeches stay in water (most the time) and don't turn into anything else.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Rhandhali posted:

Don't know if this was her or not but I've had these in my Imgur for a while.

Some people may find them gross so I won't embed them.

https://imgur.com/kVGHokX

https://imgur.com/ffi2Wen

https://imgur.com/7A4mnD1

https://imgur.com/Kb3oF4J

Alternative medicine practitioners are unworthy of life.

Yes, that's her. It's pretty sad in she wanted to avoid any microsurgery scars and ended up with something far worse.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Maybe the nurse meant black ointment? It's a real thing (sometimes called drawing salve) that does draw things like ingrown hairs etc to the surface and isn't dangerous. Obviously one should be careful with wording when recommending such things.

Nah, it wasn't drawing salve. I've used that before and it's something you can get over the counter at Walmart or Walgreens. I even asked if she meant something like Boyle or Prid but apparently that stuff wouldn't be strong enough and for black salve I'd have to order it online.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Scathach posted:

Okay so the secret is that for some reason nurses are more superstitious than any other group of people out there. I've never heard "vaccines are bad" and "carry this crystal around for x" and "fake sugar gives you cancer" from any other profession like I have from nurses. Don't even get me started on the "essential oils for your cancer" bullshit.

As a vet tech I find this hilarious. For your pets we are the first ones rolling our eyes about raw food or grain-free diets or crystals or natural supplements.

Seriously for a moment, the raw food diets can gently caress your pets up and the grain-free diets WILL make your pets have heart problems. Don't feed them raw or grain-free diets or they will likely die in a few months because that poo poo isn't as tested or regulated as most pet foods. I'm pretty sure the crystals or supplements don't do anything at all so if it makes you feel better, continue them.

Raw diets promote salmonella in you and your pets. Grain-free diets give your pets heart failure sooner or later.

Just feed a decent pet food and don't loving give them cheeseburgers or a whole ham or some poo poo that makes them vomit and poo poo blood uncontrollably for like 18 hours. Putting in a rectal foley to contain the bloody diarrhea in a bag is only fun the first time!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

empty sea posted:

As a vet tech I find this hilarious. For your pets we are the first ones rolling our eyes about raw food or grain-free diets or crystals or natural supplements.

Seriously for a moment, the raw food diets can gently caress your pets up and the grain-free diets WILL make your pets have heart problems. Don't feed them raw or grain-free diets or they will likely die in a few months because that poo poo isn't as tested or regulated as most pet foods. I'm pretty sure the crystals or supplements don't do anything at all so if it makes you feel better, continue them.

Raw diets promote salmonella in you and your pets. Grain-free diets give your pets heart failure sooner or later.

Just feed a decent pet food and don't loving give them cheeseburgers or a whole ham or some poo poo that makes them vomit and poo poo blood uncontrollably for like 18 hours. Putting in a rectal foley to contain the bloody diarrhea in a bag is only fun the first time!

Can you recommend a decent food brand? My dogs seem to love Merrick and I like the ingredients but it's so fkkin expensive.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

empty sea posted:

Do you have any sources to read on grain-free being less regulated or prone to heart problems, at least with obligate carnivores like cats? I've seen more about how food with grain causes allergies, diabetes, weight gain, etc. but nothing on regulation being relaxed for them or heart problems.

Screw raw diet people, its a loving cult. Not only is raw more time-consuming to produce, its really easy to screw up the macro and micronutrients, contaminate your living space, and one study even found it made feces worse in bacterial load and consistency. When Rexie was diagnosed with her bowel disease, raw food cultists kept insisting we switch her to that, despite the fact that she can't process proteins correctly and a raw diet would have literally killed her.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

An aunt of mine used to breed dogs, a type of retriever that I've just realised I probably shouldn't name because it's not super common and even if she's evil I probably shouldn't doxx her. She was a big proponent of the Barf raw food diet, and pushed it heavily on people who bought puppies from her. Data point of one, but at least one of her stud dogs died early because of heart problems related to the diet. Despite this, she has (had?) business cards calling herself a "canine nutritionist." It used to be "canine dietician" and then mysteriously changed so dad and I wondered if she got a warning for using a protected term. All her education came from Google.

She is also a dog anti-vaxxer, claiming that vaccines cause immune disorders and also they're not necessary because there's no rabies in this province! Spoiler, there is, she's wrong.

My dad doesn't talk to his younger sister much anymore.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Samovar posted:

Yeah, but maggots turn into flies and are thus extremely unpleasant.

Leeches stay in water (most the time) and don't turn into anything else.

K, you made me remember and look again, but maggots are cool too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggot_therapy

If the choice is maggots or the loss of a limb, well....

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I think it’s equally cool and crazy that maggots have developed so far into the niche of eating rotten meat that not only will they not eat fresh meat, but they have honed a razor sharp instinct for which meat is fresh and which is rotten specifically so they never accidentally eat fresh meat.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Oh, is that how it works? I always assumed that they had to be monitored and taken away. That's really cool.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Ariong posted:

I think it’s equally cool and crazy that maggots have developed so far into the niche of eating rotten meat that not only will they not eat fresh meat, but they have honed a razor sharp instinct for which meat is fresh and which is rotten specifically so they never accidentally eat fresh meat.

Fresh meat gets swatty

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I can only speak about what I've seen in the last 1.5 yrs in an ER vet hospital with some awesome critical care vets.

We discourage raw diets because there's no research done on the benefits and frankly, the threat of salmonella is worse than any benefits. I haven't seen any animals with problems that might be linked to their raw diet so far, but most hospitals will ban the raw diet just because of the risk. You can drop off your raw food, but we will put it in the freezer and not feed it.

Grain-free diets do lead to heart problems-- enlargement, failure, etc. It's such a thing that we routinely ask about diet if your pet has a heart murmur or problem on exam, especially if the referring vet doesn't make a note of any heart issues.

Personally, I know that the major companies that work with vets-- Science Diet and Royal Canin-- do a lot of testing and will refund you if your pet won't eat the food. Pretty sure Iams is ok. I wouldn't trust any "raw" diets or grain-free foods unless you were tossing in some grain-free canned or treats as a supplement.

A huge amount of the pets I see for gastric distress are from them eating people food or eating foreign bodies. Don't let your pets eat pizza or pork bones or hamburgers or anything that's like that. Or string, socks, chocolate, copious amounts of grass, etc.

Let them eat their pet food and keep the treats to sparing and you won't spend $1400 on hospital bills.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Otteration posted:

K, you made me remember and look again, but maggots are cool too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggot_therapy

If the choice is maggots or the loss of a limb, well....

Oh don't get me wrong, maggots are medically cool and useful, but just as I wouldn't pet a penicillium fungus, I wouldn't keep maggots as a pet.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

RoboRodent posted:

An aunt of mine used to breed dogs, a type of retriever that I've just realised I probably shouldn't name because it's not super common and even if she's evil I probably shouldn't doxx her. She was a big proponent of the Barf raw food diet, and pushed it heavily on people who bought puppies from her. Data point of one, but at least one of her stud dogs died early because of heart problems related to the diet. Despite this, she has (had?) business cards calling herself a "canine nutritionist." It used to be "canine dietician" and then mysteriously changed so dad and I wondered if she got a warning for using a protected term. All her education came from Google.

She is also a dog anti-vaxxer, claiming that vaccines cause immune disorders and also they're not necessary because there's no rabies in this province! Spoiler, there is, she's wrong.

My dad doesn't talk to his younger sister much anymore.

That could easily be the woman we got our (uncommon breed) dog from, in <province>. She retired after our litter and was very adamant about raw food. But more likely there’s just enough whackos these days that it would ring a bell with lots of dog owners.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RudeCat posted:

Oh, is that how it works? I always assumed that they had to be monitored and taken away. That's really cool.

Depends on the kind of maggot you use. There are maggots that will eat either fresh or rotten meat. You can use them to debride wounds but those ones you have to monitor and get rid of before they start eating the not dead flesh. Of course there are in fact maggots that only eat not dead flesh so you very much don't want to use those.

As an aside because nature is nature there are also maggots that feed exclusively on other maggots.

Incidentally this is why forensic entomology exists; you can tell about how long something has been dead down to the hour by looking at what is currently eating it. There are things that start gathering whenever they notice something dying so they can lay their eggs pretty much as soon as it stops moving while there are other things that wait until the corpse is almost gone to dive into the leftovers.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 12:13 on Apr 26, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Uppa posted:

That could easily be the woman we got our (uncommon breed) dog from, in <province>. She retired after our litter and was very adamant about raw food. But more likely there’s just enough whackos these days that it would ring a bell with lots of dog owners.

That a Pavlov joke?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

That a Pavlov joke?

Doesn't ring a bell for me.

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

A quick search says these beetles have a defense of excluding a sticky film that hardens in air, which is how they get stuck there. I wonder why the dog would try to eat them to begin with though? Accidental while eating grass?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

A quick search says these beetles have a defense of excluding a sticky film that hardens in air, which is how they get stuck there. I wonder why the dog would try to eat them to begin with though? Accidental while eating grass?

Dogs are absolutely not above eating bugs

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

That film gets absolutely loving everywhere btw

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dogs will eat their own poo poo, vomit it up and then try to eat the vomit.

Bugs are a step up.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

pik_d posted:

My pugtzu tries to eat lizards. I saw him catch a moth midair once. He would absolutely eat beetles given a chance.

pop fly to McGillicutty has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Apr 26, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: wrong thread

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 23:19 on Apr 26, 2019

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Randaconda posted:

what is a josh allen, and should i be happy

I dunno but I bet it's spooky

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pik_d posted:

I dunno but I bet it's spooky

god drat it, wrong thread

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda posted:

god drat it, wrong thread

Maybe it was the right thread but the wrong question.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

As with most pathogenic organisms, it's kind of unhealthy for your offspring if they kill off their hosts before they can produce their own offspring. Not aware of any maggots that eat living tissue, but if there are any, they're probably rare. Would not keep maggots as pets, but if there are any people that do, they too are probably rare.

Don't remember the exact history, but the common cold may have started off as thoroughly fatal, but evolved into one of huge genetic successes* after it stopped killing it's hosts.

Hoping time will do the same to ebola, HIV, and the various super bacteria if we don't figure them out first. :(

*Corn may be the hugeist easy genetic success to track, BTW, by far (note how it doesn't kill it's host!).

(Besides e coli, and all our other happy gut friends.) :)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Creepy E Coli contribution:

https://www.giantmicrobes.com/fr/products/ecoli.html

My gut hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

pik_d posted:

More than that, my dog goes right for any bugs he sees. My cat too.