Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Frankly if I was to get an android phone again, it’d probably be a Pixel or a OnePlus because of those speedy updates, since that’s what I’m used to on iPhones. Samsung has started making really good devices, but I personally just don’t trust them to keep things updated, and the same goes for the vast majority of Android OEMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Frankly if I was to get an android phone again, it’d probably be a Pixel or a OnePlus because of those speedy updates, since that’s what I’m used to on iPhones. Samsung has started making really good devices, but I personally just don’t trust them to keep things updated, and the same goes for the vast majority of Android OEMs.

I used to think that too, but here's the issue: Pixel updates might be monthly, but half of them utterly break the phone. I would much rather have less frequent updates, than google's worthless flail at QA.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Okay, so OnePlus then, since the OP6T I had got frequent updates after installing the international rom. I don’t understand how OEMs can boast about monthly security updates when they don’t push them out but about once every three months it seems.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Okay, so OnePlus then, since the OP6T I had got frequent updates after installing the international rom. I don’t understand how OEMs can boast about monthly security updates when they don’t push them out but about once every three months it seems.

I've posted about this before, but Samsung actually does make monthly updates. They, however, have agreements with carriers that limit the release schedule. For example, Rogers in Canada, will release 4 security/minor patches a year for Samsung phones, and 1 major os update. I would imagine other carriers are the same. Blame your carrier.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've posted about this before, but Samsung actually does make monthly updates. They, however, have agreements with carriers that limit the release schedule. For example, Rogers in Canada, will release 4 security/minor patches a year for Samsung phones, and 1 major os update. I would imagine other carriers are the same. Blame your carrier.

T-MOBILE!!!! :argh:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

There was an iPhone update once that caused AT&Ts towers to boot loop or something. I've been trying to find an article on that but it was a long time ago so I don't know what to search to get it to come up.

Nokia is good about updates, but not necessarily as competitive in hardware.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I used to think that too, but here's the issue: Pixel updates might be monthly, but half of them utterly break the phone. I would much rather have less frequent updates, than google's worthless flail at QA.

What? I've had Pixels for two and a half years and I've never had an update break either the 1 or the 3. Maybe they utterly break some phones, but you make it sound like everyone suffers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

What? I've had Pixels for two and a half years and I've never had an update break either the 1 or the 3. Maybe they utterly break some phones, but you make it sound like everyone suffers.

The Pixel 3 memory management issues, for example.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I may not have had device breaking issues with the updates for my Pixel 2 but some of the changes (gestures, app switching, split screen) to me have a feel of being version 1 of a work in progress and I think I'd be okay with waiting longer for something that is more thought through and polished.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Which I also haven't noticed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speaking of memory management, I think something has improved on my G5+. I seem to remember tabs often needing to reload if I hadn't looked at them for a while. Had a 2 hour flight today and wanted to read some wiki articles. I opened a bunch of them in Firefox, but also downloaded a few as pdf in case there wasn't internet on the plane and the tabs did their reload thing. But all 6-7 big wiki articles stayed nicely in memory all the way and I didn't have to read pdfs or pay for internet.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Uh, T-Mobile is one of the better carriers. Look at the release history for the S8:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34292

Releases every 1-2 months. Two major version updates. The only downside is that you wait a few months for major OS updates, but chances are you already had the new features anyway.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Never had any memory management issues so far.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Excuse me it never worked so they never technically broke it. :smugdog:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

Which I also haven't noticed.

They're very well documented, reported on, and admitted to in Google's official bug tracker and everything. Your anecdote doesn't really apply, there is an objective reality here.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm not disagreeing with the substance of your post, just the connotation that everyone experienced all of the acknowledged problems.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Well let's check Samsung's official bug tracker for what's wrong with their phones... oh wait, they don't even have one.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
GravityBox literally hours ago just added the ability to get rid of the stupid 4 icon status bar maximum thing. I now have 9 notification icons in my status bar and my blood pressure has dropped to a new low, thank you hackers, I love you all

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
why do you all like your status bar cluttered with icons, living the android stereotype

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Because I don't want to swipe down my notification menu all day to say "hm, I wonder if I have a new reminder" or whatever. When things are staring at me in my face I'm way more likely to notice them. It's not like I'm putting battery temperature up there or anything.

I admit I'm a sperg but why would it be better just for the space to be black?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, the issue is why you would ever have 9 active notifications at once anyways.

They aren't exactly notifications if you just leave them sit there and not act on them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Celexi posted:

why do you all like your status bar cluttered with icons, living the android stereotype

Keep spendin' most our lives
Livin' in an Android stereotype
Tell me why are we so blind to see
That the ones we hurt are you and me?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

No, the issue is why you would ever have 9 active notifications at once anyways.

They aren't exactly notifications if you just leave them sit there and not act on them.

A lot of stuff I can't get to right away. When I finish getting to it then the icon disappears, which is the way I like it. It's usually not like that for long. Maybe 6 hours max. But absolutely I am more likely to get to it quicker if it's in the status bar, staring at me, mocking me.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

bull3964 posted:

No, the issue is you get 3, then as soon as you get a 4th you need to start "worrying" that it's actually 5+. Some people work or are otherwise in situations where they can't be looking at their phone to keep track.
I'm sure you can imagine having 3 icons at a time?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

bull3964 posted:

Whether or not the have the ability to is irrelevant. If they do, you can nail them to the wall. MDMs on personal devices is really dicey legal territory for companies. They have to install them for compliance sake, but legally they aren't allowed to do more than ensure you have a protected lock screen and are encrypted. If they use the full toolkit on personal devices, they are utterly hosed.

I work for the State government, and our work emails can contain confidential information as well as protected health information (Dept of Health), I wonder if that affects anything.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Khablam posted:

No, the issue is you get 3, then as soon as you get a 4th you need to start "worrying" that it's actually 5+. Some people work or are otherwise in situations where they can't be looking at their phone to keep track.
I'm sure you can imagine having 3 icons at a time?

Not to mention some notification icons are "permanent" like temperature outside or Airdroid being active, which take up 2 spots immediately.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Not to mention some notification icons are "permanent" like temperature outside or Airdroid being active, which take up 2 spots immediately.

Is the third a voicemail notification that's been on your phone screen for the last 10 years like some other people I know?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

You're still misusing the notification tray which is why Google is going out of its way to change it. If you can't get to a notification as it comes in but you'll need it later, snooze it. If a notification is permanent and you don't need the icon but need the application to always run, reduce the priority to not produce an icon.

The point of a notification is to inform you of things you specify in a timely manner in order for you to act. Unfortunately third party apps have to "drive engagement" by spamming you with notifications constantly. Google is in a constant cat-and-mouse game to keep the notification tray and usage paradigm useful. Icon soup is not useful.

The reasoning behind the icon limitation is exactly the same for GMail's default multiple inboxes: It makes the icon tray less viable for engagement spam when a user is unable or unwilling to janitor it themselves. I'd argue they failed, but that's the goal.

Further advances toward that goal in Android Q will involve the Bubble system and allowing third party notification managers. Neither will help solve the main problem, which is that beyond the user extensively janitoring their apps there's no way to keep the notification tray from becoming gross. An informed user already isn't having problems with a four icon limit because we already have enough tools to keep it from becoming that way in the first place, more tools would be nice but what Google needs to do for your typical is to force the notification tray to become a less attractive place for spam and that's what they're doing and will be continuing to do.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

Is the third a voicemail notification that's been on your phone screen for the last 10 years like some other people I know?

haha whenever I reboot my phone, it's the first notification I swipe away.

LastInLine posted:

You're still misusing the notification tray which is why Google is going out of its way to change it. If you can't get to a notification as it comes in but you'll need it later, snooze it. If a notification is permanent and you don't need the icon but need the application to always run, reduce the priority to not produce an icon.

The point of a notification is to inform you of things you specify in a timely manner in order for you to act. Unfortunately third party apps have to "drive engagement" by spamming you with notifications constantly. Google is in a constant cat-and-mouse game to keep the notification tray and usage paradigm useful. Icon soup is not useful.

The reasoning behind the icon limitation is exactly the same for GMail's default multiple inboxes: It makes the icon tray less viable for engagement spam when a user is unable or unwilling to janitor it themselves. I'd argue they failed, but that's the goal.

Further advances toward that goal in Android Q will involve the Bubble system and allowing third party notification managers. Neither will help solve the main problem, which is that beyond the user extensively janitoring their apps there's no way to keep the notification tray from becoming gross. An informed user already isn't having problems with a four icon limit because we already have enough tools to keep it from becoming that way in the first place, more tools would be nice but what Google needs to do for your typical is to force the notification tray to become a less attractive place for spam and that's what they're doing and will be continuing to do.

I actually forgot that I could tell Airdroid to not leave a permanent icon while being used, so thanks for that reminder.

There's quite a few apps that I noticed "snooze" does not work. Ironically, one of them is Youtube. I like seeing a notification that there's a new Angry Video Game Nerd or something uploaded, so I leave it there until I get to watch it (or else I will forget). However, if I snooze it, it never comes back, even though Android is telling me that it will snooze it.

I really don't think Google is doing this for any reason other than phone notches, to be honest. But then again it took until Oreo for Android to finally have unread badges, something that iOS had 10 years ago, so who knows what they are thinking any more.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

There's quite a few apps that I noticed "snooze" does not work

I really don't think Google is doing this for any reason other than phone notches, to be honest.

I didn't say they're doing a good job. The notification snooze times suck so I've never used it. Notches were a convenient reason to do it now but it's obvious the point to the effort is to stop people from doing, well, what you do. It's reasonable to assume if there are more than four icons in the tray then the user isn't using the tray.

But then again it took until Oreo for Android to finally have unread badges, something that iOS had 10 years ago, so who knows what they are thinking any more.

Unread badges: the first thing to disable in every launcher. If your tray is usable, they're completely superfluous and you use the tray as intended you never see the homescreen or app drawer unless you're seeking out an app to use which is the worst time to notify the user of a different action to take.

The fact that you use them at all is an indication that your motivation tray has failed to serve its only job.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 27, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I like knowing how many unread texts I have. So I know of it's a new one or one I know about but didn't want to respond to yet

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
hello friends, i bought an S10e today to upgrade from my S6.
i also ordered some micro-usb -> usb-c adapters (these and these) so that i can eek out a little more life from my dozen micro-usb cables and chargers.
this is only my second device that uses usb-c and i know its still a bit of a mess so I just wanted to check and make sure using my old normal chargers or more specifically my main fast charger+micro-usb+one of these adapters wont catch my phone and/or apartment on fire.
i read over a bunch of articles and nathan/benson reviews for micro-usb adapters and usb a-c cables to get myself educated but i wanted to triple check.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I like knowing how many unread texts I have. So I know of it's a new one or one I know about but didn't want to respond to yet

Lol that number should be zero, the same as your unread emails. But Google intentionally doesn't tell you how many unread items you have, just whether or not you have them. If you have a number it's not because Google gave it to you.

It's designed specifically to work against that workflow with the (correct) logic that either you care about some action to take and thus will address it, or you're someone who leaves it there and thus an unread count is a useless indication. Any iPhone will either show no badge or one showing 13,000 unread messages, there's no in between.

It's almost like you're the exact user Google is trying to thwart which I have to admit must suck for you but is positively fascinating from my perspective.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just checking in to say that my caseless pixel 2 non-xl is still working great and is good.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

LastInLine posted:

You're still misusing the notification tray

Wrong.

However the user wants to use a feature of the device is the correct way to use the device. To think otherwise is to invite the kind of walled garden bullshit Apple peddles.

I want a weather app that has a persistent notification telling me what the current temperature is, but I don't want to lose the screen real estate a widget eats since 3 characters in the notification pane is enough. I also want other apps to have room to display whatever I want. I don't install apps that spam notifications, if other people do, that sucks to be that dumb but I shouldn't lose features to cater to idiots.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Annath posted:

Wrong.

However the user wants to use a feature of the device is the correct way to use the device.

This is not only obviously wrong, it's trivially so. The user can want to use a screwdriver to insert a nail but it's going to be difficult because things are designed to do some things and not others. This is a trivial fact not only of user interfaces but of literally every man made thing ever.

It's odd that it's user interfaces where people think the way you do when it's exactly there that design impacts use. No one wonders why screwdrivers suck at driving nails but everyone has an opinion on why UI A doesn't do task B the way they wished it could when both are things designed to be used in a particular way and the friction a user gets is often because they're using counter to the design.

That's half because there are so many bad UIs but just as often it's because the user insists on fighting. The solution isn't to fight, it's to use a product designed for your preference. If none exists for your case, you might want to consider if your case is a good one.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 27, 2019

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
That being said, there are a lot of bad Android UIs.

I feel like these companies would get better mileage if they dropped all the lovely shovelware they put in their phones and focus only on apps that interface with their hardware: cameras, curved edges, notches & pinholes etc.

Let users download a company's lovely UI if anything.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tetrabor posted:

That being said, there are a lot of bad Android UIs.

100% true and Google's no saint, but there's a difference between bad app UI and the OS usage paradigm. Some wars you just can't win and fighting what the OS wants you to do is one of them. It's like using Finder to open files in macOS, they're never going to want you to do it that way so just stop trying.

I'm not blind to losing beloved workflows, it happens to all of us and we all hate it but acceptance is better than resentment.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

LastInLine posted:

This is not only obviously wrong, it's trivially so. The user can want to use a screwdriver to insert a nail but it's going to be difficult because things are designed to do some things and not others. This is a trivial fact not only of user interfaces but of literally every man made thing ever.

It's odd that it's user interfaces where people think the way you do when it's exactly there that design impacts use. No one wonders why screwdrivers suck at driving nails but everyone has an opinion on why UI A doesn't do task B the way they wished it could when both are things designed to be used in a particular way and the friction a user gets is often because they're using counter to the design.

That's half because there are so many bad UIs but just as often it's because the user insists on fighting. The solution isn't to fight, it's to use a product designed for your preference. If none exists for your case, you might want to consider if your case is a good one.

You sure are a acting confident despite failing to realize that many, many people prefer to do things a particular way, even if that way is not the most efficient. Not everyone optimizes every single thing for speed/efficiency.

Your screwdriver example is pretty dumb, but it still works for me because if someone wants to use a screwdriver to drive a nail, they are free to do so and Craftsman isn't going to remotely alter their screwdriver to pass through nails.

Additionally, the notification area was designed to display many notifications, you can tell by the way that's what it does and has always done. Just because Google changed their mind, doesn't mean that users have or will.

Also, this:

quote:

The solution isn't to fight, it's to use a product designed for your preference. If none exists for your case, you might want to consider if your case is a good one.

is the most smugly superior attitude I've ever had the displeasure of reading. I sincerely hope you don't work in any sort of human-interacting setting because holy poo poo are you acting misanthropic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Yes, it was designed to display many notifications, but it probably wasn't designed with unlimited notifications in mind and app developers instead of using a widget or regular notifications half assing it and using a persistent notification.

Persistent notifications were more of something designed to let you know something is running in background and not forget it exists, not to be there 24/7 which is stupid, and people ending up with 200 notifications and using it as a "to do " was never a plan