Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
"Boring white guy" video game protagonists was a legit complaint back in like, the 2004-2013 era because that's literally all anyone would make in a video game, but that's gotten so much better complaining about it now just makes you look like a painful person to talk to about anything.

That said Days Gone looks like it should have come out during that 2004-2013 era, who the hell still cares about open world zombie survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you're not white and it offends you to play a white guy in a video game you might actually just be a racist

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

poverty goat posted:

If you’re not white and it offends you to play a white guy in a video games you might actually just be a are racist

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm white.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm white.

poverty goat posted:

If you're not white and it offends you to play a white guy in a video game you might actually just be are a racist

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the guy is an outlaw biker, he's not exactly a generic white guy. I'm not saying he's the most interesting character in the world but its not like he's tucking a polo into khakis

would the game be more fun and have a better story if he was black?

like, settle down with your weird culture war americans

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I play as insanely white people, like as pale as the skin colour palette will go. I like doing it in Mass Effect and imagining that my guy is so pale because he's spent his whole life in artificially lit spaceships and will dissolve in direct sunlight like Nosferatu

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I can't wait until computer generated voices that don't sound like poo poo become a reality in RPGs. The only thing worse than a generic white guy character is a generic white guy voice actor.

I was playing mass effect as a gaunt pale slavic engineer and his voice broke all immersion.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yo the boring white guy comment was one minor part of why that game looks really bad, hth

"boring" was by far meant to be the operative descriptor there regardless

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Video games aren't art, never will be, story in a video game is the least important part of it, and video games are not the place to confront social issues.

Let's get back to talking about how the Witcher 3 is or is not bad (it is).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

2house2fly posted:

Just make the default player avatar a cool black guy

no joke i'm tired of playing as boring white guy and cool black guy. when the gently caress am i gonna get to play as a native american who isn't the dumbass from rear end creed 3, where are the angry white men and women who will fight for my representation in video games

e: admiral kahoku doesn't count. he has like a dozen spoken lines and then he dies unceremoniously off screen, and then they never even bring in another hawaiian character to the ME series to replace him

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 26, 2019

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I just wanna be a gay robot.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tracer being gay is neither a triumph for homosexual gamers nor an attack on traditional values.

edit: The Witcher 3 is one big boring cliche with awful combat and no sense of discovery because everything is marked on the map.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

but you get to see cartoon titty

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

I can't wait until computer generated voices that don't sound like poo poo become a reality in RPGs.

This will happen never because the problem with bad voice acting isn't bad voice actors, it's bad direction, and that won't go away if you use robonts instead of people.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm white.

drat that’s really exotic. :chanpop:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Stories in videogames are important. Videogames are just CYOA books with moving pictures, most gameplay is just grinding skinner box bullshit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

Stories in videogames are important. Videogames are just CYOA books with moving pictures, most gameplay is just grinding skinner box bullshit.

Related: shooting mans is always a fun mechanic and coupled with a nice story makes a game worthwhile.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's like if you are playing doom is shooting down a second zombie or demon add anything to the game beyond the first? What about third or a whole horde of them?

No. I want to know why there are zombies on mars and who doom guy is and whether big demons have more guts.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I got Layers of Fear and it's really scary I didn't think I could be scared by games anymore but when I turned around and all these objects were just hovering and fell to the ground at once I jumped out of my chair lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's like if you are playing doom is shooting down a second zombie or demon add anything to the game beyond the first? What about third or a whole horde of them?

No. I want to know why there are zombies on mars and who doom guy is and whether big demons have more guts.

lmbo what the gently caress.

I mean what the fuuuuck dude.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

lmbo what the gently caress.

I mean what the fuuuuck dude.

I'm sorry if you are easily amused by moving pictures and explosions. Perhaps you should seek out a worthwhile hobby hmm?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You're not the fuckin boss of me. I bet you aren't even a real colonel.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah not so quick with the witty replies when you're called out are you :smug:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sheen Sheen posted:

There has never been a single good Assassin’s Creed game.

Some of them were okay, but definitely not ''this series has eleven titles' okay.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's like if you are playing basketball is scoring a second basket add anything to the game beyond the first?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I read a review of some storygame once that was like "people remember characters and emotions, nobody remembers shooting monster #4572 in the face" and actually some of my strongest gaming memories are indeed gameplay moments I took part in instead of cutscenes I watched. gently caress off!

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
An easy way to see how inclusion is important is watching this video of this young girl with a prosthetic leg getting a doll with a prosthetic leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj5U-tr-E24

It feels really, really good to play as an under-represented minority if you yourself are the same under-represented minority. I played the gently caress out of Prey (2004) and T. Hawk in Street Fighter because they are First Nation, and that poo poo feels incredible. I would like to feel that more than once a decade is all.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Olaf The Stout posted:

An easy way to see how inclusion is important is watching this video of this young girl with a prosthetic leg getting a doll with a prosthetic leg.

It feels really, really good to play as an under-represented minority if you yourself are the same under-represented minority. I played the gently caress out of Prey (2004) and T. Hawk in Street Fighter because they are First Nation, and that poo poo feels incredible. I would like to feel that more than once a decade is all.

Don't forget Thunder from Killer Instinct

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Olaf The Stout posted:

See I would've thought the game co-opting First Nation culture with aliens and poo poo would've been insulting. Interesting to hear that it was cool and good from your perspective.

I have a distinct memory of playing through the game and thinking to myself that the vision quest segments were demeaning somehow. Not to mention spirit grandpa. And the spirit bow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

See I would've thought the game co-opting First Nation culture with aliens and poo poo would've been insulting. Interesting to hear that it was cool and good from your perspective.

I have a distinct memory of playing through the game and thinking to myself that the vision quest segments were demeaning somehow. Not to mention spirit grandpa. And the spirit bow.

With Native American representation I'm pretty sure it easily falls into 'literally anything is better than nothing', and also you're fighting a literal alien invasion using literal magical powers that the aliens have no idea what the gently caress as it rips their souls out of their bodies, how is that not awesome?

2house2fly posted:

Cosmetic microtransaction DLC to give the player character paler skin. and a more nasal nerdy voice. Let's see who will really shell out to avoid playing as a cool black dude from the hood

Can I go halfway and play a nerdy black dude

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its cool to have all kinda of character representation, but to have a negative reaction to developers that have the gaul to create a white dude is just some Resetera level stuff.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Zeroing in on the fact that the guy is white is missing the point entirely though?

Like, not to take away from any of the good points that have been made RE: representation, but from all the reviews and videos I've seen, my issue is less that it's a white dude and more that it's just the most predictable goddamned character arc possible. Grizzled loner biker learns the hard way that the real treasuresurvival of zombie apocalypse is the friends we made along the way.

It's like they tried to copy Walking Dead, but the really boring-rear end seasons where it's just bullshit human politics, with the zombies as just another occasional force-of-nature event.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Shooting the zombies and riding around on the bike is pretty fun, and the guy's voice acting is pretty cool and he swears really well and glares at people. I'm not saying he's great but to use this dude as an example of an exceptionally lovely character isn't really on base in my experience in the first 4 hours.

i absolutely think people are being too hard on this game to make a point, one that is kinda secondary to the game experience

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I wouldn't say exceptionally lovely so much as blandly generic. And the game itself seems fine, it just doesn't seem like it does a single thing new or different. If you haven't played it, I highly recommend Dying Light.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Are video games art? No they are not. They're something far, far greater.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Art is something only old white guys care about so I posit that art is bad.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like the part in mario where I jump on the bad guy and also the part where I throw the fireballs *bloop bloop*

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i think its sick when you go down a pipe an you're underground all of a sudden, very cinematic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Q: Are games art?

A:

https://twitter.com/leilaclaire/status/1116212863545118720