Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

That Old Tree posted:

It is laser-focused on a very particular way of playing out Arthurian stories, so while yes it is a very good game, it's only good at that one thing. I've only gotten to play it a dozen or so times total, with just one "longer" run of five of those sessions being a single, short campaign, and I loved it, but you and your players need to totally buy into everything the game is selling or else it's just going to be a lovely game of low-magic D&D.

FMguru posted:

Pendragon is a superb game, and is arguablly the magnum opus of one the industry's greatest and most significant designers (Greg Stafford, RIP). But, as TOT says, you have to buy 100% into the very narrow experience it's oriented towards - playing Arthurian knights having adventures in the pages of Le Morte d'Arthur. If you try to run it as a generic or even typical fantasy RPG (a mismatched collection of distinct characters, fighting monsters and collecting loot and getting more powerful, or engaging in heists/capers that go sideways and you have to scramble to deal with the consequences) you will be very disappointed.
I got and skimmed the PDF and it's extremely my poo poo, but I don't know if it'd be a good fit for my group. They're pretty allergic to reading literally anything at all so I doubt any of them would put in the time to read the primer on "here's how knights are supposed to act." When we get closer to wrapping up our 40k thing I'll pitch it, but I think "eww, stuffy history game" might be too big a hurdle for some of them. Time will tell.

I did appreciate the "here's how you can have ladyknights in your game if you want" section. I was worried the game would be regressive in the name of :airquote:historical accuracy:airquote: but it's very open to the idea and even provides some real historical examples of women who went to war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Clanpot Shake posted:

I did appreciate the "here's how you can have ladyknights in your game if you want" section. I was worried the game would be regressive in the name of :airquote:historical accuracy:airquote: but it's very open to the idea and even provides some real historical examples of women who went to war.
One thing Stafford very clearly understood was that Arthurian myth was an everchanging thing, always evolving to meet the needs of whatever time and culture was interpreting it. The Pendragon core book lists six (!) different flavors of Arthurian myth that he drew on for the game, including Welsh (Malbinogion, Peredur), quasi-Historical (Bede, Geoffrey of Monmouth), French (Launcelot stories), Mallory (Morte d'Arthur), Modern (TH White, Steinbeck, even Twain), and even radical interpretations (like the feminist Mists of Avalon), although he primarily leaned on Mallory. If in the 21st century you want to include lady knights in your version, Pendragon is more than happy to give you its blessing (although you'll have to do some tweaking of the family and romance and marriage rules to match your vision). Lord know that wouldn't be the most ahistorical thing ever dropped into the Arthurian canon.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ok but where are the Artoria Altria Pendragon rules though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, a it's built around a very specific setting and tone but quite happy to suggest alternatives to suit a different style.

My quick hack is that the setting has strict gender roles but not necessarily at all related to your genitalia.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

So for reasons I don't recall I didn't get to back Monkey the Roleplaying Game's Kickstarter, even though it looks like the kind of thing I am in to. Anyone around here got it, played it, formed an opinion on it? It's pretty reasonably priced on DTRPG (EDIT: Oh it's also in tradprint on their website for about the same price) but I haven't heard a single peep about it since the Kickstarter, which seems like a bad sign.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 24, 2019

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

So I have a Patreon now.

I mention it in this thread because I'm using it to fund the kind of microgames that have been well-received here — that have previously included a bunch of Lasers & Feelings hacks and a cyberpunk game where all that matters is how much you spend on your gear.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DigitalRaven posted:

So I have a Patreon now.

I mention it in this thread because I'm using it to fund the kind of microgames that have been well-received here — that have previously included a bunch of Lasers & Feelings hacks and a cyberpunk game where all that matters is how much you spend on your gear.

Link please?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

That Old Tree posted:

So for reasons I don't recall I didn't get to back Monkey the Roleplaying Game's Kickstarter, even though it looks like the kind of thing I am in to. Anyone around here got it, played it, formed an opinion on it? It's pretty reasonably priced on DTRPG (EDIT: Oh it's also in tradprint on their website for about the same price) but I haven't heard a single peep about it since the Kickstarter, which seems like a bad sign.

Given Newt's other works, I would guess that most bought the game to read or collect like I did. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but his other stuff that I've read gives me confidence that he could nail the tone.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

Link please?

Meat is Murder

One of the first things I want to do as a Patreon release is revise & expand it in a number of ways — more setting stuff, a bit more mechanical definition, lootboxes, that kind of thing.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Could I get a link to the irc chat or discord or whatever people are using these days please?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kestral posted:

I'm fascinated by the idea that people are playing Twilight 2000 now. Can you talk more about your experiences with it, and what sold you and your group on playing it? Possibly in the Chat thread?

Sure!

So far we've only had a handful of sessions, but it's going surprisingly well for such an ancient game.

It wasn't a hard sell to the group - for me, it was ond of the first non-D&D RPGs that I'd played as a kid. One other player had the books but never played it, and nobody else had even heard of the game or setting. Character creation took forever because it was written in 80s. Then eveyone agonized over the equipment list (because it's all cold-war guns and tech.)

My setting is basically that a US company of 100-200 soldiers has fortified a small Polish trucking depot town ... and then been largely forgotten about by the war. The PCs represent the CO's cadre of fixers and advisors, despite their disparate ranks.

Medicine is running low and plague is on the way. A hyper-nationalist Polish biker gang just became aware of the town's fuel reserves. Some scouts have gone missing. A contractor is trying to reach the Pentagon via shortwave 56k modem. A downed RAF pilot needs to get home before he cracks. The Russians are still out there.

On top of everything else, a farmer has killed a soldier he interrupted abducting his underage daughter. This was covered-up poorly, and rumors are starting to crack the otherwise great relationship with the locals.

What's great is that the whole T2K setting is a sandbox. I essentially built a frontier-town on the edge disaster(s) and turned the players loose in it. If it gets destroyed, nobody knows what's next.

Interestingly, there are no social skills in the game, which nudges play in a different direction than you'd expect. Without a face to "cast diplomacy" social interactions suddenly become a lot more social.

It's also been a trip to the old-school design museum for everyone, which has been fascinating. Character creation was burdensome mess, equipment was hyper-detailed, and combat is overwhelmingly deadly. Overall, it all facilitates fewer interactions with the rules.

It reminded me that games were actually run rules-lite by necessity back then, and GM fiat was to arbitrate complications and vagaries (not to flex power.)

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

RaspberryCommie posted:

Could I get a link to the irc chat or discord or whatever people are using these days please?
Here's the main TG one: https://discord.gg/9jJjC2

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hey there. I'm August. I used to post here a lot in the long-gone 2004-2008 times. I played in a few games and ran a few. One game I ran back then was called ADOM, based off of the roguelike. It began on January 7th, 2007, and didn't last long thanks to a move I had to unexpectedly do killing the game's momentum. That didn't stop me from trying again though, and I'm happy to report now, that as of March 31st 2019, ADOM the campaign has ended after 10 years.

For context, after ADOM 1.0 ended, I wanted to keep trying anyways, and a year later I launched ADOM 2.0 on these forums. That went pretty poorly because of my unreasonable scope and communication issues, and also ended prematurely. That was the last time I played on TG, and left it for good. I was running an In Nomine game in a MUSH at the time with two friends, which ran from 2005-2010, and ended well, my first complete campaign and story. I realized I was way better at GMing chat games over the pace of PbP games, and stuck with that instead.

So it left me thinking about ADOM again, and I mined its corpse for ideas to reuse for a new chat game. The Deepwater Horizon disaster sparked a game idea in me, to try my hand at a SHORT chatgame instead of a sprawling epic, where I devoted 6 months with one session a week and three characters. The setting was one of little context, simply stating that there was a tropical island being opened for a trade route in a magical/technological hybrid world with ruins of many civilizations lying around. Off the coast of the dryad-ran island was an old oil rig, which was now bleeding oil. Now, clearly, since oil is deadly, cancerous, and world-destroying, and made up of liquified dead people, that means it's a very powerful necromantic reagent, right? So of course it means it zombifies people who get infected with it or die in it, which leads to a zombie disaster, which leads into the island revealing itself as some kind of terrible Mythos-nature god who wakes from the disturbance and tries to destroy everyone and everything on the island.

So that one-shot ended pretty snappily and fun. I found my strongest GMing lay in 10-20 session short games using chatgames (the island game used Maptools at the time).
So of course I decide next I need to run a sprawling huge epic. I designed ADOM 3.0, and having already used its frame for the island game, realized that said island game was in fact the prologue for what came next.

The background for the setting is simple enough. Azathoth, the Mythos Ur-Deity, is said to have been inspired by the Hindu god who is sleeping and dreaming, and that dream is the existence we are in, the universe and multiverse and all alternate timelines; everything. So I applied that concept to Azathoth in full, and then asked, what happens if It wakes up? What happens to a dream not just deferred, but destroyed? The first part of the answer is that bits and pieces of all those timelines and universes end up pooling into some conceptual limbo, a graveyard space adjacent to the Dreamlands, creating a final patchwork universe and world made up of everything that came before it. You could find a wizard's workshop next to a biotech plant seated on top of an alien caveman's house sticking out of a cliffside from Leng sinking into the ruins of a faerie glen. The same happened to people - though you could be native-born to the post world, there were also pockets of reincarnated souls who would 'Awaken' to the new existence with new bodies, their memories of their previous life as vague as though they had just woke up from a long dream.

So 200 years passed in this setting, and the incident with the island happened sometime in the year 197. The survivors were dumped off in a huge ruin-city named Anidus, which was one of the biggest safe zones in the new world. It was rife with corruption, mismanaged resources, and power squabbles, so one solution the city came up with was to gather its most unwanted people and send them off to a distant coast of a newly-found land, where they could start a colony and expand the city and its influence. This was the introduction to ADOM 3.0, where four players (layter five) had a set of three characters each - one for wandering the new lands, one for managing the colony, and the last being the survivors of the island game. They had to purchase colonist NPCs to tailor the town from a pool of 50, only getting to take along around 20.

This started the story of the village named Home, and a 6-year struggle (one year in-game) whose themes went wildly deep into the less-horror of the Mythos, focused more on Hinduism, Buddhism, flavors of Christianity, metempsychosis, Mu, time travelling as opposed to travelling time, trauma and overcoming it in the literal and metaphorical, the nature of dreams, and the nature of community and escaping cycles of destruction and self-destruction.

The players were all veterans of TG I've known over the years, and I want to take the time now to thank all five of them for their contributions over the long years for this weekly game I ran, and making it the realization of the simple game idea I had a long time ago, as well as giving me my first true "The Big Huge Grand Campaign" as a GM. My first true, and my last, because it turns out running a 6-year game built off of an additional 5 years before it takes a TREMENDOUS amount of creative, mental, and paper work to pull off, but it was an excellent experience and the realization of a hobby I've loved since 5th grade with my first GURPS game. My five players put in astounding effort for what the game asked for (one player ended up playing as SIX CHARACTERS by the end), and cinched the landing to a story that leaves me with years of written novel ideas, which is what I want to do next now that I'm done with roleplaying for the foreseeable future.

Just wanted to leaves my thanks to my players, to TG, and to SA for making it possible across the long years. I doubt anyone is left who remembers much of the earlier times, seeing as it was 10-15 years ago now, but this place is still really important to me as the first place in my roleplaying career where I could pursue the games and stories I really wanted to see, as opposed to the wretched stuff I bounced off of time and again growing up with other roleplayers who had some ruinous ideas of what the hobby was for. I'm happy to field questions if anyone is interested, or share materials since I have a giant attic of stuff I'll never use again.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/1121477710264430592

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I'm not sure if I wanna play that game

but I'm also not sure if I don't wanna play that game

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Definitely something to own and read at least.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Huh I didn't knew Fox was making a Mouse Guard movie... And that ironically the rat studios now are killing it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Black August, I have little of substance to say (other than "this subforum existed that long ago?"), but I wanted to say that sounds rad. My own longest-lasting campaign is a Cthulhu/TORG-inspired nightmare and it sounds like you pulled off an infinitely more intriguing version of metaverse apocalypse funtimes.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Official Alien TRPG announced.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It uses the engine from Mutant: Year Zero. Is that game any good?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Covok posted:

Mutant: Year Zero is very good yes. I think Tales from the Loop uses the same system.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Covok posted:

Yes, Mutant Year Zero and Coriolis both use this system and it's good. It's effectively a small D6 dicepool game where a single six gets you a success, and each further 6 gives lets you use extras on abilities or power-ups.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Hope it only treats Aliens 1-3 as canon (based on the dates), otherwise you have to deal with the fact that the "alien" isn't actually an alien at all, but a mutant based on human DNA created by a demented android. :haw:

Really, gently caress Prometheus, though. Lovecraftian horrors and giant skeletal elephant-creatures spawned by a cold and uncaring universe are far more scary than Von Daniken cast-offs in bony spacesuits.

Edit: nope, just watched the video and there's a giant carved head in there. Oh well.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 27, 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
On Alien Day (4/26), nice.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Payndz posted:

Hope it only treats Aliens 1-3 as canon (based on the dates), otherwise you have to deal with the fact that the "alien" isn't actually an alien at all, but a mutant based on human DNA created by a demented android. :haw:

Really, gently caress Prometheus, though. Lovecraftian horrors and giant skeletal elephant-creatures spawned by a cold and uncaring universe are far more scary than Von Daniken cast-offs in bony spacesuits.

Edit: nope, just watched the video and there's a giant carved head in there. Oh well.

I didn't see that in the video, but yea, Prometheus taking the mystery out of them turned Aliens from the scariest to the most bleh.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been reading "Aliens aren't scary anymore since (blank)" since the first AvP pc game came out and it's probably existed long before that since the context I read it in was "aliens aren't scary because Aliens turned them into space ants"

So not sure that argument really holds water

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Len posted:

I've been reading "Aliens aren't scary anymore since (blank)" since the first AvP pc game came out and it's probably existed long before that since the context I read it in was "aliens aren't scary because Aliens turned them into space ants"

So not sure that argument really holds water

For me the whole fear came out of the mystery of their whole reason for existing. Before prometheus, you could sort of fill in the blanks with whatever you liked, be it a super weapon designed by a mysterious race. A science experiment gone wrong. A flood-esque pathogen that naturally occurred and is just incompatible with any living creature we're aware of. The fact we didn't know was sort of the whole point. Whatever it was it was thrilling because while that was cool to ponder, it was in the background of "whatever the reason, these fucks are here killing us all now".

Now it's "Oh a bad android made the biggest threat to the whole living galaxy because reasons".

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

quote:

The year is 2183—little more than three years since the destruction of the Hadley’s Hope colony on LV-426, the disappearance of the USS Sulaco, and the closing of the prison and lead works on Fiorina 161. The loss of a Sulaco’s Colonial Marine unit along with these Weyland-Yutani sponsored outposts, and the implications of corporate foul play stemming from these incidents, have created an air of distrust between the company and the United Americas.

To add fuel to the fire, conflicts between the rival sectors of space have increased exponentially in the past five years. While unconfirmed, many believe that Hadley’s Hope was a test site for one of Weyland-Yutani’s bioweapons and that an enemy state sent a warship to nuke it from orbit. Others believe that the Company is working with a rogue nation to assume control of the colonies on the Frontier.

The 2180s are a dangerous time to be alive.

It seems like they're only really concerning themselves with the first 3 movies. The art in that trailer does raise a couple of red flags there but it could also mean nothing, so I'm hoping it just ignores everything after 3.

Spiteski posted:

For me the whole fear came out of the mystery of their whole reason for existing. Before prometheus, you could sort of fill in the blanks with whatever you liked, be it a super weapon designed by a mysterious race. A science experiment gone wrong. A flood-esque pathogen that naturally occurred and is just incompatible with any living creature we're aware of. The fact we didn't know was sort of the whole point. Whatever it was it was thrilling because while that was cool to ponder, it was in the background of "whatever the reason, these fucks are here killing us all now".

Now it's "Oh a bad android made the biggest threat to the whole living galaxy because reasons".

I think what gets me about Prometheus is that it honestly isn't any less stupid than the theories that came out of the Dark Horse comics and odd tie-in novels. Like, it couldn't be more imaginative or evocative than bad fan-fiction. It was a ludicrously low bar to clear and yet.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Prometheus owns. It's basically a Hammer horror movie in space, and that's way more important than whining about how it ruined your headcanon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The only thing worse than Prometheus was people evangelizing how great a film Prometheus was.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I saw Prometheus in theaters and really enjoyed it right up until the end when the xenomorph appeared. Had no idea going into it that it was an Alien movie.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What happened to Eclipse Phase 2nd edition? Last time I checked, they said it was going to released in 2018. And now I'm seeing that it still in play testing?

Clanpot Shake posted:

I saw Prometheus in theaters and really enjoyed it right up until the end when the xenomorph appeared. Had no idea going into it that it was an Alien movie.

This is probably why you liked it, not knowing it was an aliens movie.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Prometheus was flawed, but I thought had some okay ideas expanding the mythos. It established some links between the aliens and engineers that were only hinted at before, but raised further questions with horrible implications (why did they create us and then decide to destroy us with some sort of horrible bioplague, etc.). Screwed it up in more than a few places, but it at least had some ideas that fit the mood.

It was covenant that decided to just nuke any of that and make everything link to an android with daddy issues.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The real problem with Covenant is that the core good thing about Prometheus was Noomi Rapace's character owning David by having a normal human relationship with her father and not turning her issues into a cosmic justification for genocide. Killing her mid-transit completely ruined the core point which is that David was a traumatized android rather than a Perfect Being, and Weyland being a terrible father didn't mean anything other than 'Weyland is a terrible father' - not all children kill their parents. Not all parents abuse their children. David is just wrong about the universe, and his bad assumptions are why everything went to hell.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Prometheus becomes a much better movie once you make the following assumptions;

1) that basically every human character in the movie has brain damage from cryo-sleep

2) that basically every assumption or attempted translation made in it is incredibly wrong

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

drrockso20 posted:

Prometheus becomes a much better movie once you make the following assumptions;

1) that basically every human character in the movie has brain damage from cryo-sleep

2) that basically every assumption or attempted translation made in it is incredibly wrong

You don't need the first one and the second one is literally a plot point. (Well, nearly. The only person with an accurate translation of the alien language is David, and he very pointedly doesn't share a word of it.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's a Damon Lindelof ink blot test. He put some heady themes into a copy-pasta and spilled it all over a bad scifi movie script

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Prometheus owns. It's basically a Hammer horror movie in space, and that's way more important than whining about how it ruined your headcanon.

I need to correct my previous statements refer to Covenant. I forgot they were two seperate films, and honestly I can't remember where one story beat is in one film or the other thinking back.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Covok posted:

What happened to Eclipse Phase 2nd edition?

They're still working on it, it's just taken longer than they initially estimated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Aniodia posted:

I'm not sure if I wanna play that game

but I'm also not sure if I don't wanna play that game

I feel like the day someone introduces Chuck to Interactive Fiction is going to be a future holiday.