Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy loving poo poo.

quote:

5TH UPDATE, Friday 10:14 PM: And with a snap, Avengers: Endgame is getting bigger, just as expected. Industry estimates as tonight see $157M for Friday (including $60M record previews), which is $37.9M more than Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ opening and single day record of $119.1M. And as for the weekend, right now the mean is around $349M at the widest theatrical release ever of 4,662. Saturday is expected to ease between -30% and -35% for a take between $102M-$109M.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-opening-weekend-box-office-record-1202602445/

If that hold I don’t even know what the gently caress. That is goddamn INSANE.

Also Captain Marvel might be back at #2 this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Insane box office.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lmao almost $160 million Friday. :wtf:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The biggest surprise for me was Morgan. We've known since Infinity War that time would be how the heroes fix things but I figured they couldn't reverse the universal clock because that would erase any new people born in the intervening years. But I didn't think they'd drive that point home in such a personal way as to have one of the main Avengers be a new parent.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

Lmao almost $160 million Friday. :wtf:

This might actually break the weekend record it set last year by end of day Saturday. Sunday would just be the icing. I can’t even wrap my head around that.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

X-O posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

I was at a store in a stripmall (yeah, gently caress it, a wine and spirits store) that was way, way more crowded in people and parking spaces then I've ever seen it. And then I realized it had a cinema in the corner.

This is a loving huge deal.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
loving loved it. It is a greatest hits of the MCU, and really rewards people like myself and probably the rest of you for watching everything.

Random spoiled thoughts

I knew one of the big 3 was going to buy it, I expected Cap, but Stark makes the most sense. He started it, and he finishes it.

The emotion everyone had after the 5 years was felt really genuine. Plus it really did feel like a world that was trying to go on after such a horrible event. But god drat Black Widow's death, drat.

Really loved everyones team ups, and i really doubt that Karen Gillan knew that when she was cast in Guardians as a secondary villain knew she was going to be so important to the biggest movie of the franchise? Cap telling the Hydra agents "hail hydra" was a good pay off for that terrible comic.

the final battle was just holy poo poo, like god drat its hard to say in words how i felt seeing so much awesome on screen. I was thinking that maybe that it would just end with Cap, Tony and Thor defeating Thanos, but no, all those movies and all those alliances made required a huge army to come to the Avengers help. Loved that both Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel got huge moments. Wanda nearly defeats thanos on her own, Carol takes the entire firepower of Thanos's ship without a slowing down and hosed it up seriously. Also she took Thanos's headbutt without it even messing up her hair.

Speaking of Carol, I knew she'd be the one who rescued Tony and Nebula. And I figure that the after credits scene from Captain Marvel probably happened, then she goes and saves the people on the Milano.

Cannot wait to see what's next, Thor properly with the Guardians was my dream, and looks like that's happening. Also Sam Cap!

Oh and about Morgan, I thought after Tony picked up the toy squirrel, it was going to be revealed that his daughter was Maureen, making Squirrel Girl Tony's daughter, but nope.

A lastly, at the very end I wonder what that hammering was refering too. Most obvious was just a call back to Tony hammering away in the cave in Afghanistan, but maybe something else?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

twistedmentat posted:

Cap telling the Hydra agents "hail hydra" was a good pay off for that terrible comic.

In terms of ideas? It shows that any idea can be good given the right context and circumstance. It's pretty great.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I curated a 10-part arrangement of the movies for a condensed version of The Infinity Saga, and the one thing I wish happened was someone mentioning something about Fury's pager in the dialogue during the bit before the title card where they're planning to get the stones and un-snap everyone in Endgame. That's the only slight hiccup in the narrative through-line when going from Infinity War to Endgame, otherwise, I think the following list of 10 films is the most effective way at getting The Infinity Saga's story across coherently without having to watch all 22 films:

The Avengers
Thor: The Dark World
Guardians of the Galaxy
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: Civil War
Doctor Strange
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers: Infinity War
Avengers: Endgame

Movie choices and arrangement order were made based on the introduction of the stones, consistency of narrative through the relevant post-credits stingers, and matching important narrative beats from the previous films to certain beats in Endgame.

[edit] Think this list is also an easier watch for someone going into the series cold who wants to catch up with the story asap.

teagone fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 27, 2019

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

VanillaGorilla posted:

So, the throwaway line about Wakanda picking up undersea seismic activity seems like exactly the kind of very easy to miss hint they’d drop about Black Panther 2.

I’m betting BP2 introduces Namor, cribbing from the recent continuity where Wakanda and Atlantis were at war.

How amazing would it be if we got Namor, Galactus as the big overarching bad for phase 4, and halfway through they reboot/reintroduce the Fantastic Four to tie it all together.

Unless Disney buys Universal it's unlikely, since the rights to Namor are a clusterfuck at the moment.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Passing the torch Anyone notice after Clint drops the Gauntlet, it goes from Spider-Man, to Black Panther, to Captain Marvel? They’re the future of the MCU.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wow I'm gonna need.........some time to process this.

General thoughts are that it's a spectacular RPG adventure story...which a couple of beats that just didn't land.

Things that worked: Everything with Ant-Man. Everything with Clint. Clint and Natasha specifically. Nebula's arc in these films is stunningly effective.

Obviously, that end sequence. "On your left."

I think the whole tone of the first half of the movie, but particularly with the "FIVE YEARS LATER" segment was incredibly effective. I didn't feel bored or impatient for the plot to move along at all...on the contrary, I actually might've liked spending more time just...basking in the ambiance of this strange post-snap world.

Things that sort of worked: Cap's ending didn't really feel earned to me. Tony's, now, that felt earned, that felt like a proper arc. But with Cap, I don't think they did the right sort of work to make it seem like him...I dunno, just being done and loving off back to the 40s was particularly in-character or poignant. Isn't Cap the sort of man who, when confronted with a wrong thing, will always choose to intervene instead of being complacent? You're telling me that not only is this man just done living in the twenty-first century, he'll also go back in time and...not choose to intervene in this timeline to fight for a better future? I do not buy that, it did not feel earned.

That being said...I love the passing of the torch to Sam. It's not something I thought the MCU would have the...drive?...to do. I thought that they would just either keep Steve as Cap forever or never touch on the subject of a replacement. But moreso than anything else in the film, even moreso than Tony dying or Steve becoming old, Sam wielding the shield makes it feel like this universe is still open to new ideas and to shaking up its stories for the better.

Now I hope he becomes Bucky's boyfriend now that Steve is out the picture.

Things that did not work: Everything with Thor and by god I do mean everything. For some reason the comedic persona, which was so effective in The Dark World, just fell completely loving flat to me here. I was ready for it to be over after two minutes...but it kept going! It kept going on and on! There were like seven scenes of Hemsworth trying and failing to pull off fat dumb Thor right up until the very loving final scene he was in! No. I was stunned by much I disliked this.

Thing that was um no: Okay, I take back the thing I said earlier where "everything with Clint" was good. On the contrary, the whole Japanese criminals scene was kinda dumb.

More thoughts eventually. At some point. This was a movie.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Thor's whole arc is the best part of this film by far, and if anything it's made me more excited about Guardians 3. Now if only they got rid of Quill.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Been thinking and why didn't they jump to before Thanos got the mind stone in Wakanda or better yet to before he got the time stone? Take the powerhouses like Thor and Marvel and that would have been enough to turn the tide. I can't remember what the consequences for something like that would have been though.

The Russos didn't use the Hulk well and I don't know if it's because they had no idea what to do with him or because they wanted him nerfed like other characters for the sake of the story.

The more I digest the less satisfying the film feels; like a Chinese buffet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gaunab posted:

Been thinking and why didn't they jump to before Thanos got the mind stone in Wakanda or better yet to before he got the time stone? Take the powerhouses like Thor and Marvel and that would have been enough to turn the tide. I can't remember what the consequences for something like that would have been though.
Nominally they can't change their own history because it would create a paradox. If Thanos never got the Stones then they'd never have gone back in time etc etc. They can't stop the snap from happening, they can just reverse its effects after it has happened.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff
I feel like the obvious answer to all of this is they used the stones to fix whatever paradoxes they would've caused and fudge it all through to keep the timeline intact enough to arrive where they are. The real question is why the gently caress did Dr Strange watch the possible futures for five more years after they lost?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gaunab posted:

The Russos didn't use the Hulk well and I don't know if it's because they had no idea what to do with him or because they wanted him nerfed like other characters for the sake of the story.

The more I digest the less satisfying the film feels; like a Chinese buffet.

Remember Stark didn't want to change anything from the five years, he had Pepper and his daughter and wanted to keep them. Also Hulk pointed out that you won't change the future and it's still your past and so those things will have always happened no matter what you go back and do.

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

I feel like the obvious answer to all of this is they used the stones to fix whatever paradoxes they would've caused and fudge it all through to keep the timeline intact enough to arrive where they are. The real question is why the gently caress did Dr Strange watch the possible futures for five more years after they lost?

He loves Marvel movies.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maybe Dr Strange's future vision takes place from his own perspective, so from his POV there's just a jump cut and he's back on Titan, and then they kick Thanos' butt.

Straight Outta CompUSA
Sep 29, 2004

THAT'S NOT A BALD SPOT!! that's just where my cat was eating my dandruff

Fangz posted:

Maybe Dr Strange's future vision takes place from his own perspective, so from his POV there's just a jump cut and he's back on Titan, and then they kick Thanos' butt.

Hm I buy that sure. The entire thing really hinges on that dang rat! The one thing that really bugged me is Vision was so obviously setup for Shuri to revive without the stone last time and he got so completely chumped that whole movie it was bummer not to have him come out of the Wakanda portal

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Personally I thought Endgame was fantastic. So many thoughts

I said "Oh poo poo, they don't know what's on Vormir" as soon as team Hawkeye/Widow got assigned to the Soul Stone. That was really sad.

There are so many good jokes and callbacks. I was not expecting Hulk or Thor at all. They did a great job keeping that under wraps. Asguardians of the Galaxy is going to kick so much rear end.

I keep seeing people mention a lot of fan service as a negative thing. I just don't understand that criticism. It's the finale.

I knew as soon as I saw the girl power scene and Cap giving the shield to Sam instead of Bucky that the lowest among us would sling "SJW crap" at the movie. So not excited to have to navigate which discussions about the movie are cool and which are awful. It was worth it. It makes so much sense for all 3 of those characters for Sam to be chosen for the title and Bucky to not want it. I think he knew what Steve would do, honestly. I got that vibe from his character as Cap was preparing to go and what an ending for my favorite Avenger. I'm just glad he didn't outright die.

Unlike Iron Man. I saw it coming. Strange holding up that one finger to reinforce the plan was a heart breaker. The MCU has a poo poo ton of daughters for easy heart string tugs, but I don't care, this one got me. Thinking of that poor kid having to grow up without her dad just sucks. I loved the "Proof Tony Stark Has a Heart" callback so much. That was my favorite thing in the first movie. Also "I am Iron Man" is a hell of a note to go out on.

I could go on and on, but finally, Captain America calling Mjolnir to his hand and saying "Avengers Assemble" is the greatest thing in MCU history and maybe superhero film history altogether. It felt like every single movie in one way or another was made for that moment and it just lands. I wanted my real life comic book splash page and I got it. Got goosebumps seeing it and I can already see myself watching it a billion times on Youtube in a month or so.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1121609655082418176

He's right.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

bessantj posted:

Remember Stark didn't want to change anything from the five years, he had Pepper and his daughter and wanted to keep them. Also Hulk pointed out that you won't change the future and it's still your past and so those things will have always happened no matter what you go back and do.

I forgot about Morgan and I just assumed Bruce was wrong since the whole Cap thing. I'm sorry if I'm nitpicking.

Gaunab fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 27, 2019

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Straight Outta CompUSA posted:

Maybe they won a lot of those futures but resulted in him dying :v:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The movie ended up having a Russo brother and a Russo mother in it.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Lobok posted:

The movie ended up having a Russo brother and a Russo mother in it.

russo daughter as well

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

double negative posted:

russo daughter as well

Who was she?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I was kinda expecting more of a memorial to Stan Lee. It was kinda of a shock there wasn't any post credit stuff, even something for Lee. Maybe his family didn't want it

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
It keeps going up.

6TH UPDATE, Saturday 6:19 AM Writethru following Friday 10:14 PM post: And with a snap, Avengers: Endgame is swelling, just as expected. Industry estimates as of last night for Friday stand at $158.3M (including $60M record previews), which is $39.2M more than Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ opening and single day record of $119.1M. And as for the weekend, this morning the range is between $349M-$356M off the widest theatrical release ever of 4,662. Saturday is expected to ease between -30% and -35% for a take between $102M-$110M.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Lobok posted:

Who was she?

Hawkeye's daughter

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Loved it. Nearly every moment like that I wanted, I got. The entire 22 movies has been building up to Cap saying Avengers Assemble with every single hero behind him while dual weilding The Shield and Mjolinir and holy gently caress it was worth it. I only have a couple of minor issues

The Big Thorbowski didn't do much for me. He barely seemed like the same character.
So nothing came of that interaction between Thor and Carol? I mean, someone definitely said 'I have telepathy'...right?
The only moment I didn't get: Professor Hulk was so mellow and laid-back, I was convinced Bruce would lose his poo poo at some point, probably when Widow died, and we'd get a 'You wouldn't like me when I'm angry line'. But you can't have everything.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

He is.
But the film could have also done with using the line
It was an Avenger's World. The first of many.

Not sure if I had to spoil that one, but I'll respect other peoples right to be preserved.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, I watched Endgame yesterday and I thought it was pretty fun. A fitting conclusion to this ridiculously long saga, but not one that's gonna change non-believers' minds if they weren't at least somewhat invested in it - it's still an MCU movie, after all, with all that formula implies. They could've been braver, since it's this pivotal moment in their expanded universe, and they don't even bother to engage much with a lot of interesting ramifications from the events of IW and the driving force behind the movie. The tone is also...interesting, considering the stakes. Regardless, it's a hell of a joyride, and I just want that from my super-movies.

Some spoilery thoughts:

They set out to tie up the Avengers Age in a satisfying way from the get-go and they've mostly succeeded in doing so. By the end of the movie, half of the original Avengers are out of commission, and the other half are very different people from what they originally were. I think everyone saw Stark's death coming, but I still felt like it had emotional impact since they played it as a warrior's rest rather than a tear-filled goodbye. Both him and Cap got to finally rest, no regrets in their minds. I saw a lot of people saying Steve was out-of-character in deciding to have a life with Peggy after traveling back in time, that it doesn't fit the ethos of Captain America, and I mostly disagree. Rogers is a soldier, one who's been on duty for decades now, and he was finally relieved of it. He had successors and people to cover up for him, and if my interpretation of Endgame's time travelling is right, he knew everything would turn out fine even if he faded into the background. There really isn't anything stating who was Peggy's mysterious husband, or that there couldn't have been two Steve Rogers hanging out all this time too. It's a closed time loop, so it doesn't have to change anything if it was always how it was supposed to be. It dooooooes make that Sharon kiss a lot weirder tho.

They've gone full comedy with Thor, huh? If that's how it's gonna be, putting him in the GotG is a wise decision. I feel like him and Hulk were the two weakest characters in Phase One, personality-wise, and since it's hard to write drama out of two godlike-beings, they just made them doofuses. It worked, I guess. Overall it felt like they "nerfed" the more powerful characters to avoid quick resolutions, either by making them let themselves go or simply by putting them on a bus, which brings me to Carol Danvers. Motherfuckers, you introduced this chick as a cosmic-level entity right before Endgame, this big deal that would turn the tides against Thanos, Nick Fury's last resort...and she does nothing the entire movie. She's mostly a plot device at the end of the day, something that solves Tony's space problems and then shows up at the end to punch Thanos a bit but not really have that much of an impact. I guess she was introduced now so she's already an established thing in the new Age, whatever it might be, but still. Captain Marvel is also still a bit bland as a character, I was hoping Endgame would add some flavor to her "tough girl" routine (and Larson definitely has range for whatever). Alas, twas not to be.

I think they failed with Black Widow too. It reeks of a financial decision, but they gave her some cool hints of character development as a SHIELD-style leader just to kill her off instead of Hawkeye...who's fine and all, but was being a psycho during the last five years because ~my family~. I don't think it's unfair to say that the women could've had more protagonism than they had when it was all said and done, the Avengirls Assemble scene was cute and all but it was just that, cute. At least she did stuff during the first act.

Another criticism I have is that for what was supposed to be The Final Showdown, the fight scenes were just...okay, I guess? The final battle wins you over because of all the characters popping up again to do their Thing or The Thing That Was Hinted For So Long - hi, Mjolnir Cap - but it's just another Marvel-esque big brawl with some quick one-on-one moments and not a lot of fun interactions despite EVERYONE being there. I guess that's what happens when your movies are a CGI fest and you have to fit in 20-something characters in what felt like a pretty short sequence after all. Scarlet Witch almost soloing Thanos was dope tho, mostly because Elisabeth Olsen is grossly underused and she emotes really well.

Anyway, it was cool to watch a Marvel movie with an actual ending for once. No setup for the future either. They got the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, and Spidey is clearly their posterboy for the foreseeable future - people popped super hard when he showed up. It's gonna be hard to top Infinity War as an event, but Galactus is a possibility now, as is Doom, and they still haven't used their biggest gun, bigger than Captain Marvel: Squirrel-Girl.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
There were Funko Pop figures of Hulk in the new quantum suit for sale in the line to buy tickets at my theater so spoilers for everyone!!!

Also everyone needs to quit trying to decode Time Travel. They said one time stream and you can't change what's happened ie the future, so nothing comes of Loki and the Tesseract, or Thanos and Gamora disappearing from the time stream because the events of IW already happened. The reason why Cap could ride out time and grow old is because he already did, he was Peggy's mystery husband (who stayed out of sight during her funeral). It's abstract but timey wimey bull poo poo should be. The "logic" will only break down when future projects like the Loki show try and exploit paradoxes that the movie says shouldn't exist

site posted:

I mean did you see her new haircut, that girl is gay as gently caress

Did you see what she wore to the funeral?!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gaunab posted:

I forgot about Morgan and I just assumed Bruce was wrong since the whole Cap thing. I'm sorry if I'm nitpicking.

Eh, I'm sure if you sat down you could pick the time travel aspect apart.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Fully expected that when the ancient one knocked Banner's soul out of the Hulk the Hulk would suddenly get up and be a mindless rampaging monster for a chunk of the movie.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Movie’s on track for an unheard of $345+ million opening weekend (domestic) and should cross 1 billion in FIVE DAYS from release

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
On your left

The best callback to probably one of my favorite little parts of the entire MCU.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Loved it. Nearly every moment like that I wanted, I got. The entire 22 movies has been building up to Cap saying Avengers Assemble with every single hero behind him while dual weilding The Shield and Mjolinir and holy gently caress it was worth it. I only have a couple of minor issues

The Big Thorbowski didn't do much for me. He barely seemed like the same character.
So nothing came of that interaction between Thor and Carol? I mean, someone definitely said 'I have telepathy'...right?
The only moment I didn't get: Professor Hulk was so mellow and laid-back, I was convinced Bruce would lose his poo poo at some point, probably when Widow died, and we'd get a 'You wouldn't like me when I'm angry line'. But you can't have everything.

I actually thought he was going to fight Thor back into the fight at first. Thor grabs him at some point while he's drunkenly ranting and Bruce calmly says "Stop touching me" and moves his arm. But then the moment totally diffuses and Thor is too pathetic to really fight.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rhyno posted:

On your left

The best callback to probably one of my favorite little parts of the entire MCU.

What about cheeseburgers?

That was my favorite callback, because it's both :3: and :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

What about cheeseburgers?

That was my favorite callback, because it's both :3: and :unsmith:

That was adorable. But mine sticks out for me a lot more, I love both scenes it references. That's probably my favorite MCU flick.