Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Thanks folks, this is exactly what I was hoping for :tipshat:

Also keep in mind this about claims: if you press someone's claim, and the claim title is lower than your title, he/she will become your vassal only if: he/she is of your dynasty; he/she is already a landed vassal of yours. Otherwise, it will be an independent realm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Thanks folks, this is exactly what I was hoping for :tipshat:

Immensely useful for me too. Thanks!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
marrying your courtiers is actively detrimental if it pushes you over 19 people in your court. with under 19 people in your court, every non-player character in the court gets a fertility bonus, which basically means that your kids will have more success reproducing in a small court than a big one. even if it's not, they're needless complications. i don't see eugenics as a good reason to marry courtiers simply because even with 2 genius parents a child's chance at genius is only something like 1 in 3. that's fine odds for your dynasty but not for randos.

unrelated, i vigorously disagree with this idea:

Torrannor posted:

Second, just marrying dynasty member so that they can continue the family is something you do in merchant republic games, but not in feudal games. Land those family members, and they will find wives/husbands for themselves, no need to micromanage them. Other unlanded family members can die without issue if you can't or don't want to land them. But do take care to land those with good genetic traits.
in my view, not only is every dynasty member for marrying, unless you have an extremely good reason they're for marrying as the dominant partner. i do not care if you are running an agnatic game, if you can use matrilineal marriages you drat well use them. every living member of your dynasty is potentially useful, if only because they can increase the size of your dynasty. if you click on your shield in your character's portrait you can see how many living members of your dynasty there are. if that number is ever under 50 you are in danger of dynasty wipe. if it is under 100 you are still a little tenuous and can still be decimated by a large scale problem like mongol invasion or the black death. only when you have over 100 living dynasts can you consider yourself safe from game over like that, and you can ease off a bit in terms of how big a gently caress nazi you're being. living dynasts are bricks to build with. you will always be able to build something stronger with 200 bricks rather than 20.

in that way, literally every dynastic marriage that you can control, you should. do not leave it up to the AI to marry well, they will marry for claims/prestige and frequently ignore the type of marriage, which is the real point. you yourself should never marry for claims. claims are ephemeral. if you really need a particular piece of land, it is easier to get a claimant that already exists, land them, and press the claim that's already there. there are a hundred and one ways to ratfuck someone out of land in this game. there's only one way to get more dynasts, and that's regular loving, and even then only while you're the one on top.

the good news is that if you look at it this way, the traditional marriage loop actually becomes a fair bit easier. your sons get patrilineally married to whomever (preferably claimless) and do not receive land until succession happens - at that point, their brother can land them conservatively (one county or perhaps a far off barony). this cuts off a large number of succession crises, and gets you a lot of grandchildren that whose education you can control. your daughters are matrilineally married to whomever (so long as they are landless), and if they cannot be given landed titles directly, they are given to the husband. their children will be of your dynasty and will inherit the land pretty much guaranteed. more distant cousins that do not have claims on your primary title can be given land directly, especially if they can be invited to court so you can control their marriage before giving them land.

ultimately, you will not be able to control everything and poo poo will drift and things will get weird and out of hand. but there's no real loss when everything is in your dynasty, all the fighting is a zero-sum game and your house is still on top. always.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Coolguye posted:

marrying your courtiers is actively detrimental if it pushes you over 19 people in your court. with under 19 people in your court, every non-player character in the court gets a fertility bonus, which basically means that your kids will have more success reproducing in a small court than a big one

Hu, I never knew that

I agree with the rest of the post: marry and land your family whenever you can, imo

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The 19 thing I didn't know. I have noticed that having 30 courtiers in a court is a highly effective form of birth control, and at more than 30, courtiers start having really unfortunate medical luck.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, I always try to keep my court under 30. Under 19 is a bit too much effort for me.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also keep in mind this about claims: if you press someone's claim, and the claim title is lower than your title, he/she will become your vassal only if: he/she is of your dynasty; he/she is already a landed vassal of yours. Otherwise, it will be an independent realm

They also become your vassal if the title is part of your de jure realm. For example, in the Alexiad start playing as Alexios I always start by inviting the sole heir to the Kingdom of Serbia and immediately pressing his claim (without landing him). Since Serbia is de jure part of the Byzantine Empire, the King becomes my vassal after the war.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

once you become a great duke (2+ ducal titles) keeping your court that small carries too high an opportunity cost imo. but up until that point it's a good thing to keep in mind.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I marry off my courtiers if they roll up the marriage wish. They deserve happiness.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

You marry people for a number of reasons:

- get alliances (marrying people from your dynasty to dynasties in holding titles you want to get allied with)
- get claims and titles (marrying yourself or your heirs to people that have or will inherit claims and titles)
- eugenics (marrying yourself or your heirs to people with good inheritable traits like genius or strong)

Marring regular courtiers (not from your dynasty) is usually meaningless
You also marry courtiers to get them out of your court (matrilineal/normal as appropriate for male/female) if you don't have Reaper's Due or have the 5 prestige to use the option to kick them out of your curt.

Coolguye posted:

marrying your courtiers is actively detrimental if it pushes you over 19 people in your court.
you yourself should never marry for claims. claims are ephemeral. if you really need a particular piece of land, it is easier to get a claimant that already exists, land them, and press the claim that's already there. there are a hundred and one ways to ratfuck someone out of land in this game.
You'll almost always be over 19 people in court, especially if you're marrying dynasts, which as you point out, you absolutely should be doing. Courtiers just get married off to said dynasts if they have traits to pass, or to get them out of your court as per above.

Also marrying for claims is for taking chunks at a time - this is for kingdom and empire claims. Christians especially are limited in CBs for taking big chunks at a time. This is less important for pagans that get limited access to CBs that target kingdoms.

FELD1 posted:

I marry off my courtiers if they roll up the marriage wish. They deserve happiness.
Also this

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 27, 2019

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Speaking of courtiers: is it a good strategy to use the character finder and filter by "will join court" and invite randos from the other side of the world with amazing stats to become councilors / commanders?

Is there a downside other than their culture / religion not matching?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fuf posted:

Speaking of courtiers: is it a good strategy to use the character finder and filter by "will join court" and invite randos from the other side of the world with amazing stats to become councilors / commanders?

No, it's a good idea. If you have open slots on your council that you don't need to use to placate powerful vassals. Converting those councilors to your religion at least should be a priority, because councilors who dislike you for being an infidel are less likely to vote with you in the council.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

fuf posted:

Is great, specially for commanders

Also if you have conclave and lots of gold you can use favors to get people to join your court, when a gift is not enough

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

lurksion posted:

RE this exchange

FYI this explicitly does NOT work for hordes - giving the duchy does jack poo poo, the baronies stay with you. Guess what the original question was about?
They changed it since I last played: the "make primary holding" is disabled as a horde.

My bad

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh man the last pages have been extremely useful, my level of sophistication so far had been marry everyone so I don't run out of dudes / maybe randomly get someone with good stats.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Let's all post CK2 tips!

If you're a tribal nation and cant park your spymaster in Constantinople to study technology for whatever reason, you can open up the tech tab and look for the technology you want most. Somewhere in the section for the tech you want is little blue box, click that and it'll bring up the tech map overlay for that technology. And akin to a neo-nazis world view, whiter is righter.

This one is a lot cheesier but very handy. If your ruler dies in combat or an assassination attempt is successful, the game hasn't registered the death or changed your heir until you click the message. So if you're running a gavelkind and you have 4 sons, you can imprison and execute whomever you dont want to take over.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

This one is a lot cheesier but very handy. If your ruler dies in combat or an assassination attempt is successful, the game hasn't registered the death or changed your heir until you click the message. So if you're running a gavelkind and you have 4 sons, you can imprison and execute whomever you dont want to take over.

Thats basically cheating but now that I know it, I know wont resist to use it in an emergency

edit: here's one: if you create a custom empire out of your kingdom, you will have an empire with a very small dejure (even smaller, I guess, if before you created a custom kingdom out of a duchy. but I never tried that) , so it will be easy to control all or most of it. And then you can switch to elective and basically choose your heir freely. Eventually lands will dejure drift to your empire and you will have to deal with other electors, but that takes a while. And if you have conclave, you can use favors to force them to vote for your choice anyway (and by then, you should be rich enough to do it). Elective is the best inheritance type

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 27, 2019

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thats basically cheating but now that I know it, I know wont resist to use it in an emergency

It's not cheating if you're operating within the game mechanics! But yea, it's basically cheating. I say, in a game that tries to gently caress you as much as possible, you should strike back when you can.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So question. My King of Ireland died, left everything to his son. Gravy. That guy has three sons under Primogen. The youngest has Genius, ideally I'd like him to be heir, but the game won't let me just kill the other two kids. Easiest way to do this short of the drastic measure of enacting reverse succession?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DeathChicken posted:

So question. My King of Ireland died, left everything to his son. Gravy. That guy has three sons under Primogen. The youngest has Genius, ideally I'd like him to be heir, but the game won't let me just kill the other two kids. Easiest way to do this short of the drastic measure of enacting reverse succession?

Can you make the others take the vows? I don't remember the requirements for that.

You can make them into a commander and make them lead troops against larger hostile forces to try to get them killed. You can make them spymaster and send them to Constantinople and hope they get caught and either executed or castrated. Give them a council position in a place with an epidemic and they might catch it too; I think that makes them vulnerable to it.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Excommunicate, imprison and execute? (Or just leave them in the oubliette...)

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I don't think I've ever had the Pope actually like me enough to agree to excommunication, even when I typically leave my Chaplain sitting in Rome to kiss his rear end for the duration of his life. Also he won't do it to kids in any event.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Elias_Maluco posted:

edit: here's one: if you create a custom empire out of your kingdom, you will have an empire with a very small dejure (even smaller, I guess, if before you created a custom kingdom out of a duchy. but I never tried that) , so it will be easy to control all or most of it. And then you can switch to elective and basically choose your heir freely. Eventually lands will dejure drift to your empire and you will have to deal with other electors, but that takes a while. And if you have conclave, you can use favors to force them to vote for your choice anyway (and by then, you should be rich enough to do it). Elective is the best inheritance type
I believe you can also manipulate things to abusively freeze de dure drift - don't recall the exact methods though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DeathChicken posted:

Why do you want to avoid changing succession to ultimogeniture?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also notable is that having a wife with good stats isn't just a potential genetics, their stats actually add to state attributes. It can be a convenient way to fill out some of the stats that your character totally lacks.

fuf posted:

Yes.

fuf posted:

No.

Torrannor posted:

No, it's a good idea. If you have open slots on your council that you don't need to use to placate powerful vassals. Converting those councilors to your religion at least should be a priority, because councilors who dislike you for being an infidel are less likely to vote with you in the council.

Or you can just provoke civil wars to do a purge of all the powerful vassals that hate you. You can afford to keep worthless idiots around for jobs that are unimportant to you, but people with great stats can do wonders.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Protip: Invite old men with no kids and lots of cash. If you have access to China always kowtow during a famine/plague so you get a chance at inviting a mercenary leader home with you. Along with his 12000 gold hoard that the mercenary band has saved up over the centuries.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Zurakara posted:

Protip: Invite old men with no kids and lots of cash. If you have access to China always kowtow during a famine/plague so you get a chance at inviting a mercenary leader home with you. Along with his 12000 gold hoard that the mercenary band has saved up over the centuries.

i'd be delighted to hear a character finder clause that amounts to "has more than 10 gold" or something if you know of one.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yea, usually people with high stewardship have a decent amount of gold. That paired with the fact that when your court is over a certain size, unmarried courtiers with no heirs get a health penalty so the game can thin out some numbers.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

:supaburn:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:ohdear:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Your character in the top left = :tif:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

what the gently caress did you do

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Coolguye posted:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Looks like he's a nomad - uh, multiple minor clan uprisings? In combo with regular revolts maybe?

But yeah

Coolguye posted:

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

lurksion posted:

Looks like he's a nomad - uh, multiple minor clan uprisings? In combo with regular revolts maybe?

But yeah

Yuuup, shortly after finishing the Croatian/Serbian invasion my king croaked. And after like 2 weeks of my heir at the helm, all hell broke loose. Almost all of those are peasant and religious revolts, and there were a tiny amount of clan uprisings. As to why though? It'll probably remain a mystery, I'm gonna guess it's tied to my king dying and all the titles he had. I guess word had spread in my realm that everyone should collectively rise up at once to completely wreck whoever would be next in power.

Sorry Aravat Tarján!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Next time, keep all clans at 1 county, so you are the strongest harse lard. Split to maximum clans and keep them weak, you'll never have a clan uprising again. And if you revoke all titles on religious grounds, the only worry will be "how many soldiers can I put in this county before I start losing them to attrition"

Coolguye posted:

He didn't burn everything to the loving ground as he conquered it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 28, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Somebody is LPing After the End: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887831

A group of mod fans continued the project, after the original mod makers stopped working on it (among them fellow goon Ofaloaf, who's been hired to work for Paradox). The LPer is playing Catholics, who are basically like vanilla Catholics, but can also sail major rivers, for tome reason. Check it out if you're interested!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there any way to form an alliance other than marriage? Wanna team up with my neighbor and gang up on someone. Any point trying to sway / become friends?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

fuf posted:

Is there any way to form an alliance other than marriage? Wanna team up with my neighbor and gang up on someone. Any point trying to sway / become friends?

There's an event when some ruler offers you a non aggression pact that, I think, can become an alliance, but I'm not sure. Other than that, I believe marriages are the only way, unless it changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
You can also form NAPs with rulers that have close dynastic ties, which can then become alliances. But that isn't relevant often unless you are playing under a liege and there are other dynasty members who are vassals in the same realm.