Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/wuw2NQS.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Well it finally happened, can you stop complaining now? :cheeky:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Thank you for subscribing to bee facts.

Thank you for subscribing to bear pics.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Ah, so the bullshit point about being able to transit the entire system under normal propulsion is dead. Remember the frothing responses about the solar system being "real volumes of space" and that no loading or zones would happen, that you could literally fly from one end to the other under normal propulsion? So much for that QT loading screens are here to stay my Citizen brethren, enjoy making your new reality up now. Please make sure to claim it was always meant this way.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Raskolnikov posted:

Thank you for subscribing to bee facts.

Thank you for subscribing to bear pics.

The bears and the bees.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

* please be careful of using "euro" as some people are leaving it and may be triggered.

Too bad that the UK never joined it, or this would be a more potent joke :(

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

This kinda makes me rethink my plan of going to the next bar citizen near me, tbh

While it would entail hanging out with citizens, you would probably be one of the most normal and handsome dudes in the room

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Oh we doing jobs

Bounty Hunter :smuggo:

Translation: Woof!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

"When we can't co-locate interacting players on the same server, we'll fudge it with typical networking smoke-and-mirrors. That shouldn't really be any worse than players interacting in a peer-to-per game."

:holymoley:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

monkeytek posted:

Ah, so the bullshit point about being able to transit the entire system under normal propulsion is dead. Remember the frothing responses about the solar system being "real volumes of space" and that no loading or zones would happen, that you could literally fly from one end to the other under normal propulsion? So much for that QT loading screens are here to stay my Citizen brethren, enjoy making your new reality up now. Please make sure to claim it was always meant this way.

So, as i understand things, this won't actually help with lots of people in the same area, so they will still need to be instanced/sharded anyway, and you wont see everyone (for example) at Port O. who is currently there, otherwise the servers will go into meltdown.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Quavers posted:

"When we can't co-locate interacting players on the same server, we'll fudge it with typical networking smoke-and-mirrors. That shouldn't really be any worse than players interacting in a peer-to-per game."

Of course bullets fly straight have you ever thrown a football?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

This popped up in my feed, and it's from only a few days ago. Half a million views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgjTf41QAnY

How is this happening? Does the game actually look like it's coming together to people who are just finding out about it?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tokamak posted:

Player Jump v2, 36/57 - 63%

:lol:

"yes, we need 57 different tasks to be done before we can deploy the new jump"

Eat your heart out Mario!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Bee on Dandelion by Aves Lux, on Flickr

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Quavers posted:

A liar posted:

Once server meshing is implented I think a lot of the network team's time will be spent on making the networked experience feel as good as possible.

The network team (my team) aren't working on any of those. Each of them is being handled by different teams and they are all being worked on in parallel. Server OCS and server meshing aren't on the roadmap yet because they both touch a lot of systems and need time from other teams to make make them work.

Holy lol! Once X is implemented by team A then A will be able to work on Y. We are A, but we're not working on X because we're waiting for B, C, and D to finish Y and Z so that we can start the working on the stuff that will let us start working on the actual features.

Answer the call!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I am looking forward to the next two years. As an actual supposed deadline gets closer, I expect a near constant stream of walk back or removed tech/features as they try and release something.

Followed of course by a parade of fools chanting. "This is fine." "You were stupid if you thought feature X was possible even if they sold it as possible"

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Star citizen convinced me that humanity is doomed.

200 million and barely anything to show for it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov posted:

You should visit the Tesla thread. There are free cookies!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

trucutru posted:

You should visit the Tesla thread. There are free cookies!

Is it a funny trainwreck? I could use something to kill a few hours.Link if it is an amusing timewaste.

And thank you.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Raskolnikov posted:

Yeah there is.

And lots of expensive furniture and sports cars for the CEO and Marketing Manager.

Also cool doors.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Raskolnikov posted:

Well someone is not very grateful that Chris Roberts saved PC gaming.

:colbert:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Raskolnikov posted:

If you want things to see, they have a youtube channel with 100s of videos to lose yourself in. They've got plenty to show....It's just not very good or what the 200 million was for.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Also, despite not being from Chris Roberts, as a side effect we have two of the greatest documents ever made .... The Stimpire.txt and The July Blog.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Kosumo posted:

Well someone is not very grateful that Chris Roberts saved PC gaming.

:colbert:

Yeah it’s not like real companies like Valve saved it at the beginning of the 2010’s and it’s now the lead platform for most titles. No sir, Star Citizen has to succeed or PC gaming is doomed!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Theory posted:

Is it a funny trainwreck? I could use something to kill a few hours.Link if it is an amusing timewaste.

And thank you.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862673&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The thread is huge so Check the last couple of days as the stock is doing this:

(If the stock goes below 230 or so Elon will get hit with the mother of all margin calls so things will stay funny next week)

The current derail is about idiots who invested in JPEGs another doomed company (GTAT) a few years ago

quote:

Anyway, it is not me you should be jealous of but my mom whose account I manage and has around 415k shares and probably doesn't know GTAT is on the Nasdaq. I have to set up separate accounts for her GTAT holdings so she doesn't see all her positions at once as she has been telling me to sell for it for more than a year and I have to keep telling her to wait and hide exactly how much of her portfolio is GTAT so she doesn't flip out about it.

The thread is also known as "Car Citizen" for unknown reasons.

(If anybody has links to the Azealia Banks making GBS threads on Musk section please add it)

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Oh, it's in Cspam. I was looking all over AI after you mentioned this.

Thanks. Looks like to pass the time.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Theory posted:

Oh, it's in Cspam. I was looking all over AI after you mentioned this.

Thanks. Looks like to pass the time.

Never visit the real forums! CSPAM, YOSPOS, SCAM, etc is where the good stuff is.

(Company declares bankruptcy, a sophisticated backer investor inquires:)

quote:

Can someone with experience on this matter explain what impact this could have on the stock and investors?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trucutru posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862673&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The thread is huge so Check the last couple of days as the stock is doing this:

(If the stock goes below 230 or so Elon will get hit with the mother of all margin calls so things will stay funny next week)

The current derail is about idiots who invested in JPEGs another doomed company (GTAT) a few years ago

The thread is also known as "Car Citizen" for unknown reasons.

(If anybody has links to the Azealia Banks making GBS threads on Musk section please add it)

Dear lord that quote. I'm sure his mother is really proud to be living with him after he tanked her retirement fund.

It's funny how we keep seeing this poo poo over and over again. I think its a symptom of several generations growing up during times of constant economic change and wild growth in which seemingly every month brought a new disruptive product or service to the market. We all think "what if I had invested heavily in Apple before the iPod and iPhone?" and then desperately search for what we think is the next big thing and then desperately cling to it with religious zeal. None of them realize that the big disruptions have come and gone, and we're at a highly iterative and sequential phase of economic and technological development.

You see this Early Adopter Syndrome in Star Citizen too, even though there isn't really the promise of financial payout unless you're someone trying to build a streaming career. Backers still think that Chris is going to pull some amazing tech out of his bulbous sweaty rear end that will suddenly move video games close to being a true simulation; despite the obvious fact that Star Citizen is a slapped together Cryengine tech demo being poked at by 22 year-old college grads.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 28, 2019

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Quavers posted:

Sorry but this is just loving hilarious. Granted, I'm flying high on Rioja in Andalusia right this minute but good God Almighty, this train wreck just keeps finding new sets of buffers to slam on through doesn't it.

Will it ever run out of track and buffers?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Chris has saved PC gaming with the Power Of Mediocrity. Never underestimate it, it rules much of the world.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Grubby Hobo posted:

Chris has saved PC gaming with the Power Of Mediocrity. Never underestimate it, it rules much of the world.

Hmm. He's reaching for the stars but his fingertips are still 4 ft short of the ceiling.

I've got to turn in - buenas noches all.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Star Citizen inspired me to play an amazing space game. So I bought Objects In Space and loving the new take on space travel. It really drives that same sense of sub piloting using nothing but sensors and system management. It's charming as hell and the difference in the meta is really engaging.

So thank you SC for convincing me to buy a space game that's done, unique, and doesn't require dipping into my sad, sad TSP retirement to buy a single ship.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

Star Citizen inspired me to play an amazing space game. So I bought Objects In Space and loving the new take on space travel. It really drives that same sense of sub piloting using nothing but sensors and system management. It's charming as hell and the difference in the meta is really engaging.

So thank you SC for convincing me to buy a space game that's done, unique, and doesn't require dipping into my sad, sad TSP retirement to buy a single ship.

It really is an amazing time for space games right now, there's so much great stuff coming out and we have Chris Roberts to thank for all of it.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

It really is an amazing time for space games right now, there's so much great stuff coming out and we have Chris Roberts to thank for all of it.

For real. Roberts really pushed this idea of a drought in space games which when he pitched the game would be true. Now that they've had eight years and no release, countless other companies have put some good poo poo out. I like OIS because it changes the approach of space travel and it adds great atmosphere and a new meta with the approach of traveling space like a submarine.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Grubby Hobo posted:

Store Citizer: saved PC gaming with the Power Of Mediocrity

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

Dear lord that quote. I'm sure his mother is really proud to be living with him after he tanked her retirement fund.

~415k shares in that case means 5 million dollars, that ain't a retirement fund. that's gently caress your whole family money.

How do you break the news to your mom? Like, I can imagine loving over your wife (she should have known better than marrying you! totally deserved!) but your mom? Your mom! I'll go rob 50 banks in a row to get that money back before I choose to do that.

colonelwest posted:

It's funny how we keep seeing this poo poo over and over again. I think its a symptom of several generations growing up during times of constant economic change and wild growth in which seemingly every month brought a new disruptive product or service to the market. We all think "what if I had invested heavily in Apple before the iPod and iPhone?" and then desperately search for what we think is the next big thing and then desperately cling to it with religious zeal. None of them realize that the big disruptions have come and gone, and we're at a highly iterative and sequential phase of economic and technological development.

It's just stupid white dudes (it's always white dudes) trying to get rich quick and easy. As one of them posted:

quote:

Not really. Investing in index funds would be a dangerous game for me:

If I put all of my money in index funds, I might be able to retire around 60 years old. But if I do focused investing then I might be able to retire when I am 40 years old.

On the other hand if my "focused" investing blows up and GTAT goes bankrupt and I lose all of my money, I can start from scratch and retire when I am 65 years old.

So to me, the "game" that I am playing has two options:

1. Play it safe and retire at age 60.
2. Play it "risky" and heads retire at 40, tails retire at 65.

IMO, option number 1 is a lot more "dangerous" game to be playing than option number 2...

Guess what happened.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 28, 2019

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

In Canada right now the new thing is pot stocks

People made boat loads 2 years ago , when companies shot up 3-400% in a few months sometimes

Now it's kind of stagnant, and people are going to witness the bloated valuations drying up quick I suspect

Just like star citizen I invested early , made enough cash to satisfy my investment craving and got out before the whole thing imploded

I carry a few shares now for fun but it's all house money

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Blue On Blue posted:

In Canada right now the new thing is pot stocks

People made boat loads 2 years ago , when companies shot up 3-400% in a few months sometimes

Now it's kind of stagnant, and people are going to witness the bloated valuations drying up quick I suspect

Just like star citizen I invested early , made enough cash to satisfy my investment craving and got out before the whole thing imploded

I carry a few shares now for fun but it's all house money

Forgive my stupidity but what are pot stocks?

All I can think of is people buying shares in a casserole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Forgive my stupidity but what are pot stocks?

All I can think of is people buying shares in a casserole.

:420: is now legal in Canada.