Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I really liked how they reworked it for CS 3 & 4. 3 was the first time I bothered trying to catch everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The "Voice Previews" page updated with Gaius and Jusis, sounds like the same actors there too.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Gonna be funny when they get everyone back except like, Machias, or something.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Doomhammer posted:

Gonna be funny when they get everyone back except like, Machias, or something.
Machias was one of the first confirmed to still be the same!!

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

oh right, I forgot about him... But hey so did Falcom *ba-dum-tish*

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

D-drat...!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The "Voice Previews" page updated with Gaius and Jusis, sounds like the same actors there too.

Yeah, I'm 99% sure that's Kaiji Tang and Ben Diskin.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

c'moooooon Laura, don't let me down, Laura

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

After playing most of it, I've come to the conclusion that Oath in Felghana is Bad, Actually

I hate most of the bosses and in the levels it's way too easy to get grazed by random enemy attacks as you just go through and then get screwed by the drop RNG and not get any healing. And it's not like there's any dodge or block mechanics yet, either, so playing carefully is supremely boring.

Guess I should've picked easy mode.

E: I'm currently on Genos island, having died a couple of times deep inside and sent back to the start after painstakingly fighting my way through, and I have absolutely no motivation to try again because what's going to be waiting for me at the end? Another boss that sucks and I hate to fight? Yeah, no thanks.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 27, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Your dodge mechanics are the jump and double jump. (amplified with a wind-elemental whirl if you need additional air time) Those should be sufficient to dodge about 99% of the stuff the game throws your way. (and a double jump + wind whirl allows you to skip a lot of minor mooks if running past critters is your thing) The block mechanics are the earth-elemental dashes and the charged one can be held and released whenever you need i-frames to block an enemy attack. You've had both for quite a while and the game expects you to use them with reckless abandon.

Genos Island can be tough, true. The idea is to make your way through, get a piece of equipment/item, warp back to heal and save, then power your way a little further. There's only two save points in that place, one at the start and one just before the penultimate and final boss.

The game is pretty difficult, yes, and there are a handful of bullshit parts, but for the most part it's just a matter of gitting gud and using all the tools your limited toolbag has at the moment.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes, I know I can jump to avoid attacks. That does not make careful play fun. I'm just jumping around out of enemy range and taking the rare safe shots when I can. Very cool and exciting. Then I get impatient and instantly get ganked and die because the enemy combos in rooms are getting very nasty at the end of the game.

And having to switch to your earth spell and charge it is very much not the same thing as a block button.

Of course, I could probably run past all the enemies to find all the important treasure etc, but if I'm doing that, why am I even playing the game at that point? I'm clearly not having fun and I doubt the final boss is worth the trouble anyway. Without fail whenever I reached a new boss in this game my immediate reaction after seeing the pattern has been something akin to "ugh"

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Update: instead of beating my head against genos island, i started Ys Origin, which might've been exactly what I needed. I think I might get my motivation to finish Oath back sooner than later.

In the meantime though, Origin is so refreshing. I expected it to be pretty much more of the same but it seems their level design skills had improved considerably, Yunica controls a bit smoother than Adol, and the skills fell much more effective than their previous counterparts. Especially the fireball, for which I never found any use in oath beyond one or two specific enemies. Oh, and it helps that it's much less demanding on normal too.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Have you considered that it was in fact you who was bad at Oath and not the game itself.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

no

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
tokyo xanadu ex is on sale so i got it. when i played cs1 and 2 i used those super comprehensive guides to make sure i didnt miss any sidequests/character stuff, is that necessary for this game or is it even worth it? so far i'm surprised by how character heavy it is (was under the impression this was more of a generic action game) so i'm not sure how invested i should be

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Metroixer posted:

tokyo xanadu ex is on sale so i got it. when i played cs1 and 2 i used those super comprehensive guides to make sure i didnt miss any sidequests/character stuff, is that necessary for this game or is it even worth it? so far i'm surprised by how character heavy it is (was under the impression this was more of a generic action game) so i'm not sure how invested i should be

It's pretty close to CS/2. There's a character notebook with a ton of notes that have super narrow windows. There's at least one hidden quest in almost every chapter.

So it depends on if you want to Platinum the game (which takes multiple playthroughs anyway) and how OCD you are.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
got it, I don't remember where those guides with CS1/2 were hosted, but is there something like that with xanadu? quick google search isn't helping me out much. or am i good if i'm just talking to every npc after every event - which is something i already do since it's a falcom game

edit: nevermind this one seems fine - https://www.neoseeker.com/tokyo-xanadu/walkthrough

game seems cool so far. like a mix of ys (i only played origins) and trails basically.

Metroixer fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 27, 2019

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Metroixer posted:

got it, I don't remember where those guides with CS1/2 were hosted, but is there something like that with xanadu? quick google search isn't helping me out much. or am i good if i'm just talking to every npc after every event - which is something i already do since it's a falcom game

Yeah, talking to every NPC after every event should cover it.

There is some extra stuff though, get all the plushes at the arcade crane game, some small rewards for turning in every cooking dish to the big eater, completing courses at the skate park, and there are decorations for your room. Put those into your room during your free days.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Metroixer posted:

edit: nevermind this one seems fine - https://www.neoseeker.com/tokyo-xanadu/walkthrough

game seems cool so far. like a mix of ys (i only played origins) and trails basically.

I'd recommend this one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231181167

It lists off all the character notes and everything and also talks about the ex+ content.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i missed a bunch of character notes in TX, even some for main characters, despite being what i thought was pretty thorough. the town is a lot bigger than CS so it's easier to miss minor interactions outside of free days

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Got to Chapter 2 in Sky 3 and I'm a little disappointed with the location of the second dungeon. I was kind of ready to sink my teeth into a "Trails of..." that was basically an Etrian Odyssey game and while it's still sort of that, setting the second chapter in Grancel ruins the effect just a bit.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, Trails 3rd reuses locations from the first two games, but the Star/Moon Doors and the other locations spice it up a bit.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Took my sweet time building up through ToCS1 preparing for NG+. Once I finish this new lap will I have a total of 10 NG+ points to spend?

Pretty sure I made over 2000 points with Towa including spending time with her in iirc chapter 6 but never did anything come out of that in the end, nor was I able to use tickets on her or invite her for a ride like a gamefaqs guide stated.

In the final steps of the final chapter I learned to hold circle to accelerate scenes and convos even further. Geh. Time to wrap up work then 100% speedrun through Nightmare like a pro

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

Took my sweet time building up through ToCS1 preparing for NG+. Once I finish this new lap will I have a total of 10 NG+ points to spend?

Pretty sure I made over 2000 points with Towa including spending time with her in iirc chapter 6 but never did anything come out of that in the end, nor was I able to use tickets on her or invite her for a ride like a gamefaqs guide stated.

In the final steps of the final chapter I learned to hold circle to accelerate scenes and convos even further. Geh. Time to wrap up work then 100% speedrun through Nightmare like a pro

If you started your first playthrough with a NG+ save, then finishing that game will give you 10 points to spend for your next playthrough. Not sure what your issue with Towa is, everyone should be available to spend tickets on at the festival. She is not an option for the bike ride, that's normal.

On my playthrough, I'm going to have to hope that just doing all her and Sara's bonding events twice will be enough to unlock her as an option for the finale so I can get that achievement.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 29, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, doing all of Towa’s Bonding Events (there are four) should let you dance with her. You don’t need to spend tickets on her, but that will solidify your hidden Link EXP with her.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You still need to spend two tickets on Towa, since she doesn't have a Chapter 6 free day event and you can't go ride bikes with her.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hwurmp posted:

You still need to spend two tickets on Towa, since she doesn't have a Chapter 6 free day event and you can't go ride bikes with her.

Seriously? Even if you've done all her bonding events twice (carrying over link XP to a NG+)?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sorry, I got that wrong.

For characters to show up on the dance list, their link ranks have to be high enough and you have to do one of three things with them:

-Spend time with them on a Chapter 6 free day(or Chapter 5 in Towa's case, as it turns out);
-Use two tickets on them at the festival;
-Take them with you to pick up the costumes in Heimdallr.

Towa's link only needs 2000 points, so if you're carrying those over then hanging out with her in Chapter 5 should be enough.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I think I got it into my mind that tickets on her were not necessary if earning enough points. Went back to my pre-bike ride save and hurried on and there she was for taking around during the festival. 45 minutes later the two remaining character bond trophies were done, now back to Nightmare NG+ to complete what little is left.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, I beat Ys Origin, once, with Yunica. Super fun, liked it way more than the other two games on this engine. How different are the playthroughs? If all the levels are exactly the same I think I might consider this done for now and move on to either completing Oath finally, or to 7.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They exactly the same with an occasional different boss, the main difference is how the characters play. The third character is the only one to get the 'real' final boss though.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Is the Switch version of Ys VIII ok? I remember there being some issues around the PC version.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Amppelix posted:

Well, I beat Ys Origin, once, with Yunica. Super fun, liked it way more than the other two games on this engine. How different are the playthroughs? If all the levels are exactly the same I think I might consider this done for now and move on to either completing Oath finally, or to 7.

You should play through it again with Third at least. He's super fun and has the canon storyline.

Hugo is worth a very easy mode run for the writing, but he's not fun to play, so definitely don't do anything higher in difficulty.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

Is the Switch version of Ys VIII ok? I remember there being some issues around the PC version.

it's 30fps and the dynamic resolution dips a lot but it's overall fine, i didn't run into any bugs or crashes in my playthrough.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ehh, I'm definitely not up for repeating the game with a different character right now but I'll come back to it one day. I think I might be done with this style of Ys completely for a while, and I've been itching to start 7 anyway.

What's funny is I've still got a 3/4ths finished Ys 8 save to go back to at some point. I think I might actually save it for after I'm done with the entire rest of the series since I've got the opportunity. I really should've played all these way earlier anyway.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

...Please tell me there's actually fast travel in 7. I'm up to the third area and these distances are getting looooong

E: Oh also since I just got a 4th party member: Can Adol really never be removed from the active party? That's a very nice way to make sure I never ever use anyone else with slash attribute attacks!

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 30, 2019

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

There is fast travel at some point, yeah. I don't remember if you can ever take Adol out but eventually you'll be able to give him weapons that have the other attributes

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Amppelix posted:

...Please tell me there's actually fast travel in 7. I'm up to the third area and these distances are getting looooong

E: Oh also since I just got a 4th party member: Can Adol really never be removed from the active party? That's a very nice way to make sure I never ever use anyone else with slash attribute attacks!

You get the ability to warp after finishing the fire dungeon. Which should be pretty close to where you are right now.

I don't think it's possible to remove Adol from the active party in this game. This changes in the next one. Some of Adol's later weapons come with different attributes, btw.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

dmboogie posted:

c'moooooon Laura, don't let me down, Laura

I am quite fairly certain this is the same actress as well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's the first one I'm not 100% sure is the same. She sounds really similar, but also higher pitched than Laura was in the first two games.