Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The National's song from that soundtrack album is pretty good, but I'm heavily biased where they're concerned: https://youtu.be/zCyVppbAFDU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
cersei did nothing wrong and just like the real 9/11, hers was also good

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Danerys herself: 'kneel before me or burn alive'

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Was not expecting this to be literally about Game of Thrones characters.

It's going to be the credits music on one episode and be really out of place.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I like Cersei way more than Dany because Cersei's actions, however vile, are much better explained, because Westeros palace intrigue is the centerpiece of the show, and Cersei is a usurper into that system just like Dany is. Cersei is more likeable because she did it without relying on the dragon queen plot armor, and her rule is competent.

In some sense yes she is being unrealistic when she welcomes the idea of the dead breaking through the wall, but don't forget that realistically this is her only play for survival. Dany will otherwise kill her without much difficulty.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

crazy cloud posted:

cersei did nothing wrong and just like the real 9/11, hers was also good

Wildfire can't melt sept beams!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Her closest advisor: a slaver

Her beloved late hubby: a very enthusiastic slaver

Her boytoy: slaver status unknown but likes slavery

Her army: half child slaves, half patriarchal barbarians who make it very clear that they will enslave everyone they don’t rape or kill

Her subjects: “your dragons ate all our food and killed my child, but I fought the masters for you, please don’t publicly execute me”

Barristan was pretty cool though, being just a regular, uh, enabler to a pyromaniac tyrant.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Dany is basically michael scott in the improv class, the gun is the dragons.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Cersei is more likeable because she did it without relying on the dragon queen plot armor, and her rule is competent.

Who exactly does she competently rule over, exactly? Ain't no one left in King's Landing but the smallfolk, her garrison, and her zombie guards.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Who exactly does she competently rule over, exactly? Ain't no one left in King's Landing but the smallfolk, her garrison, and her zombie guards.

She’s got all the kingdoms but the North and the Iron Islands, and given that the “7” kingdoms were named back when the Iron Islands controlled the Riverlands, she basically has six kingdoms since no one actually wants the Iron Islands and she has the Riverlands.

E: Maybe Dany has the Vale and Dorne died on the way back to its home planet? But regardless Cersei has the good kingdoms

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 27, 2019

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Opferwurst posted:

Danny sucks. It's been years since I've read the books, but IRC Astapor goes back to slavin' very soon after she leaves and the former slaves turn into the new masters. Yunkai goes back to slavin' almost instantly too. She basically devastated the region's economy and societal structure but isn't interested in doing the leg work of trying to replace it with something better, so everyone goes back to the only thing they know. And it's not like she even cares, she wants to gently caress off ASAP and run for insane dictator of Westeros but nation building on this scale take decades or even generations.

Also, she starts selling out her principles a couple months into her rule of Mereen by reopening the fighting pits and everyone understands it as a sign that she doesn't give a gently caress anymore. And I don't think she ever really did. She fell in love with a mega rapist and slaver only a year earlier and all the rapin' and slavin' didn't bother her much back then.

I don't blame her for reopening the fighter pits because it was what all her advisors said and she thought it was the only way to maintain her rule. Plus you can still have fighting pits in a western enlightenment democratic society, like we currently do

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Its Coke posted:

Plus you can still have fighting pits in a western enlightenment democratic society, like we currently do

Twitter?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

To the degree that politics is still relevant to the story, the feudal system has definitely fallen and events are forcing the characters to think in terms of a nation of westeros relative to outside political entities (white walkers, golden company/iron bank, the unsullied/dothraki). It seems like there will be a more renaissance understanding of nation and people going forward vs the emphasis on managing relationships between lords to maintain stability within westeros.

If nations emerged the same way they did in the real world, Westeros wouldn't be a nation. Or, well, if it was it wouldn't include Dorne, the North, or the Iron Islands

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dany: it’s not ok for people to volunteer to win glory and riches in a fight for spectacle

Also Dany: Unsullied, conquer everything for me in battle just as you have been indoctrinated to do since your births

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Her closest advisor: a slaver

Her beloved late hubby: a very enthusiastic slaver

Her boytoy: slaver status unknown but likes slavery

Her army: half child slaves, half patriarchal barbarians who make it very clear that they will enslave everyone they don’t rape or kill

Her subjects: “your dragons ate all our food and killed my child, but I fought the masters for you, please don’t publicly execute me”

Yeah, she's not a nice person.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I'm not saying Dany doesn't suck though, just the fighting pit thing isn't a good example of her sucking

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, she's not a nice person.

Fantasy Crooked Hillary

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Its Coke posted:

If nations emerged the same way they did in the real world, Westeros wouldn't be a nation. Or, well, if it was it wouldn't include Dorne, the North, or the Iron Islands

Looking forward to the sequel series about the Act of Union.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
The bummer is going to be when she is never called on her tyrannical behavior because the writing has gotten so weak in the homestretch. Even if she dies, she'll be portrayed as a hero rather than as a villain.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Its Coke posted:

Nations can be forged by states, even where there didn't use to be a common identity. Not that I disagree with your point that the more peripheral parts of the state would want to break away, and likely would be able to without a strong central power keeping them in check.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

YaketySass posted:

Barristan was pretty cool though, being just a regular, uh, enabler to a pyromaniac tyrant.

Man I totally forgot about Barristan's wimpy lame death for nothing.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

Man I totally forgot about Barristan's wimpy lame death for nothing.

He just wanted out of the show and didn't care.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Thom12255 posted:

He just wanted out of the show and didn't care.

That's not true, he explicitly wanted to do the Boss of Meereen story.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah I distinctly remember D&D making fun of him for fighting against them killing off his character

Stephen Dillane definitely didn’t care and wanted out. Might be him you’re thinking of.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

smoobles posted:

Lol remember in Season 6 or 7 when they showed us that Bran can time travel and influence the past, and then did nothing with that ever again

Hoping that Bran timewargs into Jaime and pushes his younger self out of that tower.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Ah well gently caress D&D then.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Anyway, Barristan being a good little soldier for pyromaniac tyrants is pretty on-brand.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

Hoping that Bran timewargs into Jaime and pushes his younger self out of that tower.

Bran wargs in Pod's dick for the experience of a lifetime

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ian McElhinney was far too obviously out of shape to continue playing that character.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Fortunately, he's in ideal shape to play a curmudgeonly Irish grandpa.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Crow Jane posted:

The National's song from that soundtrack album is pretty good, but I'm heavily biased where they're concerned: https://youtu.be/zCyVppbAFDU

This is good, thanks!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Roman Reigns posted:

Stephen Dillane definitely didn’t care and wanted out. Might be him you’re thinking of.

Don't blame him considering how butchered Stannis was in the TV show.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
lmao that just reminds me of how Ian McShane signed onto the show because he was told he could hang out with his friends only to find out their characters had already been killed off

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Well, I learned something today. I couldn't remember what happened to Pycelle once Qyburn took over, so I looked him up, and holy crap he was Walter Donovan in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!

That part where he drank from the wrong grail gave me nightmares as a kid. Thanks a friggin' lot Pycelle :mad:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does anyone have the gif of the giant shooting a night's watch guy off the wall that splices in YOU DIED at the end? I lost it and it always makes me giggle.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

Well, I learned something today. I couldn't remember what happened to Pycelle once Qyburn took over, so I looked him up, and holy crap he was Walter Donovan in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!

That part where he drank from the wrong grail gave me nightmares as a kid. Thanks a friggin' lot Pycelle :mad:

General Veers in Empire Strikes Back too.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

This cut scene was really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmmUa_r-oo

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

tpink posted:

This is good, thanks!
:tipshat:
Between this, Rains of Castamere and their multiple Bob's Burgers covers they're like, halfway to just releasing an album of nerdy-rear end tv songs, and I love them so much for it :allears:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

This scene is great except for the part where Pycelle stammers a bunch. That's delivered really badly.

Every scene with Tywinn is so good not just because the actor is good in general, but becasue they always have him doing something while he's talking. It really adds to it. When he's skinning the deer, when he's writing the letter, this one where he's fishing, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tywin ruled but he was only adjacent to the best lines of the show:

“Mother?”

“Not now Mace, Lord Tywin and I are speaking.”

E: lol https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TpMVmwFzzuo

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 28, 2019