Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Harry should have ended up as a Defence against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Angry Salami posted:

Kimmy Schmit also had an episode about how ADHD medication turns kids into zombies, and at one point parodied the OJ Simpson trial. It really felt at times like the writers had been locked in a bunker for fifteen years.

Weirdly the latter was almost ahead of its time, since a year later we got both a dramatization of the OJ trial and a docuseries on the entire case, both of which won awards.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do like the disconnect that most wizards have no idea how normal people live, but at the same time most wizards end up with a normal person and have a kid. How do you even begin a relationship when one side doesn’t know about basic clothes and electricity?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bobjr posted:

I do like the disconnect that most men have no idea how normal people live, but at the same time most men end up with a normal woman and have a kid. How do you even begin a relationship when one side doesn’t know about basic hygiene and ettiquette?

Fixed that for you.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Arivia posted:

Fixed that for you.

harsh but fair

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
but what were Voldermort's actual policies apart from the anti-muggle agenda, really seems a bit flimsy to me, Rowling should consider writing the wizard version of Mein Kampf to fill in the lore imo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ulex minor posted:

but what were Voldermort's actual policies apart from the anti-muggle agenda, really seems a bit flimsy to me, Rowling should consider writing the wizard version of Mein Kampf to fill in the lore imo

I think she should write a memoir and then retire.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

rodbeard posted:

Even without Rowling's tweets Harry Potter has aged poorly because her idea of a morally grey character was a wizard Nazi who only leaves the movement because the magical holocaust was going to get the girl he spent most of his life obsessing over because she was nice to him that one time.

What's the Potter equivalent of an incel? You know XxHalfBlüdPrncexX was burning up the Hogwarts BBS with "ITT EVERYONE IS DUMB" and "E/N No One Understands My Genious" and "How To Get Her 2 Notice Me?"

ulex minor posted:

Rowling should consider writing the wizard version of Mein Kampf to fill in the lore imo
Voldemort was like Rich Spencer to Grindelwald's Magic Hitler. So mostly Rule by Blood (forget that I'm muggleish) and Subjugation of Others (give me all the power).

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

FilthyImp posted:

Voldemort was like Rich Spencer to Grindelwald's Magic Hitler. So mostly Rule by Blood (forget that I'm muggleish) and Subjugation of Others (give me all the power).

in that last film they made didn't Grindelwald basically say everyone should support him to *stop* the holocaust?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

ulex minor posted:

in that last film they made didn't Grindelwald basically say everyone should support him to *stop* the holocaust?

I'm not sure if they actually pulled in the Holocaust, but you're not too far off on what I do know happened.

For people who don't care (because let's be honest, there's nobody that doesn't know but DOES care): His big speech is showing images of what the muggles will do in the future if wizards don't step up and take control, twisting the truth just a little to say it's definitely gonna be aimed at magical society, and he shows them the atom bomb.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Cleretic posted:

I'm not sure if they actually pulled in the Holocaust, but you're not too far off on what I do know happened.

For people who don't care (because let's be honest, there's nobody that doesn't know but DOES care): His big speech is showing images of what the muggles will do in the future if wizards don't step up and take control, twisting the truth just a little to say it's definitely gonna be aimed at magical society, and he shows them the atom bomb.

i only watched that jenny nicholson video and though they had used holocaust imagery or heavily implied it, either way bringing up the reality of ww2 into your wizard movie is pretty hilarious. why didn't the jewish wizards stop the nazis? or at least teleport everyone out of the concentration camps. i guess wizards are just generally assholes though so it makes sense

edit: maybe there are no jewish wizards which might be a better/worse conclusion on wizard ethics

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Wizards have to be explained what a gun is how would an atom bomb make sense to them

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

bobjr posted:

Wizards have to be explained what a gun is how would an atom bomb make sense to them

that makes no sense because there are tons of wizards who grew up in muggle society!!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
O poo poo the children's books don't withstand serious scrutiny someone get the goddamned president prime minister on the horn

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ulex minor posted:

i only watched that jenny nicholson video and though they had used holocaust imagery or heavily implied it, either way bringing up the reality of ww2 into your wizard movie is pretty hilarious. why didn't the jewish wizards stop the nazis? or at least teleport everyone out of the concentration camps. i guess wizards are just generally assholes though so it makes sense

edit: maybe there are no jewish wizards which might be a better/worse conclusion on wizard ethics

JK Rowling confirmed there was exactly one jewish kid at Hogwarts. She had him in mind back in 1995 but didn’t mention him until asked, of course.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

ulex minor posted:

You ever heard of the White Genocide thats definitely happening?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

tactlessbastard posted:

O poo poo the children's books don't withstand serious scrutiny someone get the goddamned president prime minister on the horn

oh no people are bullshitting about *popular media franchise* on an internet forum, the horror! yeah actually i insist you get the prime minister on the horn so we can work in some harry potter based inclusions to brexit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

JK Rowling confirmed there was exactly one jewish kid at Hogwarts. She had him in mind back in 1995 but didn’t mention him until asked, of course.

exactly one, seriously?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cleretic posted:

That's a little better, but he was definitely riding outright celebrity to get there (although, granted, 'killing Wizard Hitler' is a pretty solid resume even if he did manage it mostly through luck). Hermione's there by actual merit.

I actually agree, given that the only reason he got the job was because it was Hermione's before she was elected to office and she gave it too him.

Also on the Jewish thing she didn't say there was only one Jewish student, she merely said one student who had been mentioned in the books was Jewish.

sweet geek swag has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Apr 27, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ulex minor posted:

oh no people are bullshitting about *popular media franchise* on an internet forum, the horror! yeah actually i insist you get the prime minister on the horn so we can work in some harry potter based inclusions to brexit

It's Britain's most valuable export so there better be a Brexit exclusion in there somewhere.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ulex minor posted:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ulex minor posted:

exactly one, seriously?

I think he’s making a joke at Ms Rowling’s expense.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wasn’t though, she clarified that there was totally A Jewish Kid at Hogwqrts

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wasn’t though, she clarified that there was totally A Jewish Kid at Hogwqrts

His name is Anthony Goldstein

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Hey, that's in fair, Rowling had more than one jewish person in her books - She also coded the bank goblins with nazi era jewish stereotypes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Rowling is super rich and popular. Despite what everyone on the Internet says, the real world seems to love Jewish stereotypes and nazi stand in characters. Just goes to show th Internet is not real life

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Rowling is super rich and popular. Despite what everyone on the Internet says, the real world seems to love Jewish stereotypes and nazi stand in characters. Just goes to show th Internet is not real life
This is why Something Awful is better than real life and the rest of the internet.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is why Something Awful is better than real life and the rest of the internet.

The only place on the internet willing to give up their kids’ Christmas so a racist southern troglodyte could overcharge people for sloppy pig buttholes. Still waiting on that Nobel prize nod

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's almost like immoral inbred british wizards are a stand in for immoral inbred british high society...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean not in any real way

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The wizards don’t gatekeep. You get to be a Lord Sillyname of Wackynobbles as long as you cast spells well enough and have enough galleons.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

What's the Potter equivalent of an incel? You know XxHalfBlüdPrncexX was burning up the Hogwarts BBS with "ITT EVERYONE IS DUMB" and "E/N No One Understands My Genious" and "How To Get Her 2 Notice Me?"

I don't remember if it was this thread or not that brought up a separate peace recently, but I can't stop thinking about how much the main character's imagined feud with his best friend reminds me of Elliot Rodger's manifesto.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Chad James vs The Virgin FEARED AND ILLUSTRIOUS Severus

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean not in any real way

The class commentary is pretty on the nose at times.
There's a minor character in book 2 called "Justin Finch-Fletchley" which is a super upper class name who mentions he was originally going to Eton (the poshest private school that boasts 26 prime minister alums). He's attacked by a snake for being low born among wizards.

There's also a scene with Voldemort's dad (the son of a Squire) and grandad (an old blood hobo), and each are sure they are the high born one and the other the gutter trash.

Plus y'know "Lord" "Voldemort" was really some poor kid called Tom who spoke old London slang before putting on airs. He's evil Hyacinth Bucket.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bitterandtwisted posted:

There's a minor character in book 2 called "Justin Finch-Fletchley" which is a super upper class name who mentions he was originally going to Eton (the poshest private school that boasts 26 prime minister alums). He's attacked by a snake for being low born among wizards.

There's also a scene with Voldemort's dad (the son of a Squire) and grandad (an old blood hobo), and each are sure they are the high born one and the other the gutter trash.

Plus y'know "Lord" "Voldemort" was really some poor kid called Tom who spoke old London slang before putting on airs. He's evil Hyacinth Bucket.

Umbridge is a much better evil Hyacinth Bucket.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

sweet geek swag posted:

Umbridge is a much better evil Hyacinth Bucket.

imagine how much better those scenes would be in the films if they had Patricia Routledge :3

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Who is evil Onslow in this scenario?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bitterandtwisted posted:

I will say I really did like the revelation that there was more than one person who fit the criteria for being the “chosen one” and that it was only Harry because Voldemort had hangups about his own blood purity.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

What ever happened to the guy who got stuck in a bird morph?

Magic space-god gives Tobias the ability to morph again, but his "default" form remains as a hawk. And he's tortured by the fact that he can only be human for two hours at a time, and that if he ever wanted to be permanently a human he'd lose his morphing abilities forever.

I remember him complaining about how everyone thinks of him as a man in a hawks body, and considers himself properly a hawk. "Do you know what I had for breakfast this morning? Roadkill. Literal roadkill"

Animorphs loving owned.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

What ever happened to the guy who got stuck in a bird morph?

Poacher got him.

***Edit***

Wait poo poo no that was Taxxon man, he went with most of them out in space

Arbite has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I mean, visser three wasn't wrong. Those kids did a bunch of war crimes.

It's just he did way more.