Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
On one hand, the game needs some polishing and I'm looking forward to the 1.1 patch.

On the other hand, I find it a lot of fun and would have trouble going back to EU IV because there are still lots of things that are better here.

Menapia, the country that starts in Flanders is a lot of fun, but I'm glad I'm not playing on iron man mode yet since I keep making strategic mistakes.

One thing I learned which is not obvious: when you conquer a country, always check if they have one of your families. I.e. I started with 10 members in the boii clan, but now I have 30 after welcoming those of two other conquered countries. As far as I can see there's no downside to this whatsoever, you just have more chances to get good characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Walh Hara posted:

On one hand, the game needs some polishing and I'm looking forward to the 1.1 patch.

On the other hand, I find it a lot of fun and would have trouble going back to EU IV because there are still lots of things that are better here.

Menapia, the country that starts in Flanders is a lot of fun, but I'm glad I'm not playing on iron man mode yet since I keep making strategic mistakes.

One thing I learned which is not obvious: when you conquer a country, always check if they have one of your families. I.e. I started with 10 members in the boii clan, but now I have 30 after welcoming those of two other conquered countries. As far as I can see there's no downside to this whatsoever, you just have more chances to get good characters.

There actually is a downside in that if you don't have jobs for those families, they will feel scorned and may eventually gather enough personal funds to raise an army or become head of the populists or something and cause problems for you that way.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Dramicus posted:

There actually is a downside in that if you don't have jobs for those families, they will feel scorned and may eventually gather enough personal funds to raise an army or become head of the populists or something and cause problems for you that way.

Yes, but only if you add new families. If you add members of a family which you already have (and hence already earn >2%) then you don't have to worry about this at all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the constant autosaves are horrible. i even put it on yearly and yet it feels like i get one every month

also why is there both an option for no autosave and 'never'??

Davincie fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 27, 2019

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Having fun with the game so far. Most of my criticism has been covered, though I think the UI specifically needs more filtering and search options, and generally a better way to collate and display information.

That said, I had a fun and short lived game as Carthage where a great general named Dido oversaw the acquisition of Sicily and Sardinia. Her popularity from this made her the next Suffete, but then other wars happened and as an opportunity to take land, she invoked dictatorship to oversee the campaign. Turns out giving back a dictatorship is hard though, so I leaned into it and had her declare herself dictator for life. Problem is, the wars never stopped. Carthage has been fighting wars for like 50 years straight now, and the annexation of most of Western Africa lead to a rebellion of my tribal vassals. While dealing with that, Dido's heir declared a civil war to restore the republic. He got crushed. Then I had to go to bed.

So like, character stuff is still cool and still plays into emergent narratives. I hope down the line we get some DLC to expand on character stuff, because it only makes sense to me that it be a larger focus since most of our understanding of history around that era is centered around personalities.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Davincie posted:

the constant autosaves are horrible. i even put it on yearly and yet it feels like i get one every month

also why is there both an option for no autosave and 'never'??

You're probably experiencing what feels like an autosave every month because the game does a lot of calculations like checking for scorned families on a monthly instead of daily basis

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Anyone want to share some cool non-obvious suggestions for playthroughs?

Taulantia is fun, you're the only non-tribal state that can form Illyria and you start allied to Epirus (which has a rediculous amount of manpower). It's nice being in the general Greek cultural sphere but not getting immediately directly involved in the whole clusterfuck down there. There's probably some cool similar starts in Anatolia, unfortunately none of those guys get a formable as far as I am aware :saddowns:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Pakled posted:

You're probably experiencing what feels like an autosave every month because the game does a lot of calculations like checking for scorned families on a monthly instead of daily basis

no it actually shows the auto save warning on my screen front and center

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

RabidWeasel posted:

Make Greece Celtic Again as Serdia

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Davincie posted:

no it actually shows the auto save warning on my screen front and center

You're playing ironman, right? I think monthly autosaves are mandatory there, you could try start a non-ironman game and see if you have the same problem there.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is "one tile at a time" the only way to build roads or am I missing something?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Looks like Judea is by far the most popular of the choices with Heraclea Pontica being a close (but not very close) second. I'll put up a thread in the next couple days. Thanks for voting you mephetzelim!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How do I know how far along POP increase or decrease is in a city?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
There will be a little green bar underneath one of the pop types.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Luigi Thirty posted:

How do I know how far along POP increase or decrease is in a city?

The green/red bar next to the growing/shrinking pop's icon, below the population number. You can mouse over the bar to see when the expected growth/shrinkage date is.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

You're playing ironman, right? I think monthly autosaves are mandatory there, you could try start a non-ironman game and see if you have the same problem there.

ah yeah that sucks

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So there is basically no reason to keep Tribesmen around and it's best to promote their rear end as soon as possible, right?

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Unless you're a tribe, yeah.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

RabidWeasel posted:

Taulantia is fun, you're the only non-tribal state that can form Illyria and you start allied to Epirus (which has a rediculous amount of manpower). It's nice being in the general Greek cultural sphere but not getting immediately directly involved in the whole clusterfuck down there. There's probably some cool similar starts in Anatolia, unfortunately none of those guys get a formable as far as I am aware :saddowns:

The Bosporan Kingdom is an interesting little start, you can get horse archers easily and they seem to gently caress everything up.

The only formable you get is Alexander's empire and boy howdy is that inconvenient to do from Crimea.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Messed around with Syracuse a little bit before getting my poo poo kicked in by Carthage. I had an alliance with Rome early on that I hoped would help me, but after they became a regional power I lost the alliance. Bah.

Weird thing happened - I sent a guy to the Olympic Games, and he won. Awesome! Then I discovered he is now living somewhere in Greece for some reason, instead of coming back. I got the stability boost and opinion increase, the winner just didn't come back to Syracuse.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Funky Valentine posted:

So there is basically no reason to keep Tribesmen around and it's best to promote their rear end as soon as possible, right?

If you don't need the manpower from freemen then it doesn't hurt to just leave them as-is.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Funky Valentine posted:

The Bosporan Kingdom is an interesting little start, you can get horse archers easily and they seem to gently caress everything up.

The only formable you get is Alexander's empire and boy howdy is that inconvenient to do from Crimea.

That was my first playthrough! It was a little bit easier than I was wanting, the tribes did a really bad job of putting up a fight.

Sheep posted:

If you don't need the manpower from freemen then it doesn't hurt to just leave them as-is.

If the provinces have tribesmen in then you probably want to push their civ rating with civilisation effort, anyway, and you get the conversions for free.

Semi related to lovely tribesmen; growth rate is actually rather good if you're in one of the less populated parts of the map. Popping the growth rate omen essentially gives you +1 pop in every city every ~35 years which doesn't sound like much but if you have tons of nearly empty shithole 3 or 4 pop cities it's great.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Sheep posted:

Considering they took a working dynamic mission system out of EU4 and replaced it with a do-the-same-thing-every-game decision tree, I rather doubt that will happen.

You're saying they wouldn't add the same static trees to this game?

Besides, while I do miss the dynamic missions, I think having a tree gives a lot more direction to expansion. I'd really like the game to have both.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So as far as I can tell there's no map filter option to see city wealth? Is there any way to tell what cities are making the most profit without manually clicking through all of them?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

:toot: :black101:

Rome, alas, is already a shell of its former glory, annexed to the resurgent Etruscan empire, but this was pretty fun. Placentia has like 50 slaves in it now and I suspect it's going to be the second richest city in the empire after this war.

Sheep posted:

You are always going to want manpower. Even if your pool is ten times the size of everyone else's it takes so long to recover I can't imagine ever not wanting more.

Sydin posted:

So as far as I can tell there's no map filter option to see city wealth? Is there any way to tell what cities are making the most profit without manually clicking through all of them?

Go to the income screen and mouse over tax/trade income, it'll give you a list of the highest earners.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

One thing that I feel is a bit weird is why the game covers such an unnecessarily enormous area of the world. It's a great game - even if there's plenty room for improvement, I feel I've bought a finished game with good value for money and a fun experience out of the gate. But I'm also not surprised that many players are disappointed (even if I'm very surprised at the number of them).

I think a lot of the anger about the game being shallow, not properly representing many cultures, etc. could have been avoided by not including India, Scandinavia, Central Asia, etc. - possibly even having some governments/cultures non-playable. If

I think one of the reasons EU and CK worked so well is that they started with a tight geographical, thematical, period and/or cultural focus - and expanded from there. Perhaps the scars of the old Rome game got in the way of a more romano-centric starting point, but I can't help but think the surprisingly poor reception of the game could have been avoided by a more well-defined focus and/or communication thereof. Don't give players the expectation that playing as Armenia, Scythia or the Iceni will provide an experience on par with Rome, Epirus and Carthage. And perhaps equally important, avoid spreading some of the development effort too thin.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
English accent warning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMcgrw6nWlc

He is very harsh (probably to get more clicks) but man, as someone with a non-fanboy interest in Clausewitz games :smith:

Sekenr posted:

Huh? What would you have them do? Or what other strategy game handles it differently in 2019?

Armies slowly walking around like Total War? Not asking for ambush setups and pixel fine control to determine battle starting positions, but something rather than warping around to and fro into diceroll battles.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 27, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

I know they said that people didn't want to deal with how many offices the Roman Republic actually had but I think if they are going to penalize us for having unemployed nobles they should just give us all those do nothing make work jobs. Inspector for monuments or whatever. The issue isn't the money they take it's the boring micro management assigning all that horse poo poo.

My suggestion: Add a generic character interaction that gives a character 1% of your national income (the scorned family breakpoint) and a randomly assigned position that does nothing. When you hover over the character, it says "Currently holds low office: Monument Inspector" or something to make it clear their office isn't important. This way, you're given a reasonable way to get rid of the scorned families, it's not too micro intensive, you don't actually have to worry about what the little make-work jobs do, and it pokes fun at the idiotic bureaucracy of the time, adding more flavor. People in low office should still aspire for positions in high office.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 27, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Go to the income screen and mouse over tax/trade income, it'll give you a list of the highest earners.

On by province though, I was trying to figure out which cities make the most so I knew where to place a market.

Seems kinda dumb not to just have a city wealth map filter button considering it was in the base game of CK2.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
India always gets way too much attention. Wondering if paradox games are big there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You generally want markets in every high-pop city. They also increase civilian and freeman output by way of civilization.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
so here's my big thoughts said aloud to nobody in particular about imperator rome after playing epirus waaaay late into the game; it is too easy to conquer land and too easy to keep it

the game needs more CB types which make it harder to outright conquer land. make direct provincial conquest an expensive endeavour until you are massive, forcing you to take subject conquest until you big enough. that I, as one province Epirus, can conquer 6 province Macedon in two wars is a bit much. AE isn't the solution to this problem imo, much more expensive warscore costs and tiered CBs are.

also, kingdom succession needs to be messier? right now i am basically inheriting perfectly fine every time and even if i wasn't i think i'd be able to avoid a civil war because it is quite easy to keep under control. as such, i suggest adding in a sorta crowns system to the game where you hold crowns of specific territories, which when you die are given to each of your kids. make it a mix between euiv PUs of indirectly held lands, and CK2 gavelkind, where on death your successor sometimes needs to mop some poo poo up. basically each ruler slowly builds up, then is distributed among heirs, so there is a bit of a cycle going on. right now the family politics feels kind of stale and succession is somewhat simple and smooth, i think this would add more dynamics to both of them.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
continuing the hot multiplayer issues saga of "you did dev streams of this how the gently caress is there this many issues"

so as said, there is NO CHAT and desyncs on rejoin and it takes nine years to download the save for some people, randomly, etc etc, but!

When the game is rehosted from a save it will try to put the player in the nation they previously played, if they're returning. Neat QoL improvement, alright. Expect it doesn't actually select the nation under the hood, despite appearing as such on both the UI and for everyone else in the game, including being able to ready up and such. You still need to at least click on it, otherwise you chill out in the lobby and everyone starts playing.

wuh

feller
Jul 5, 2006

sauer kraut posted:

Armies slowly walking around like Total War? Not asking for ambush setups and pixel fine control to determine battle starting positions, but something rather than warping around to and fro into diceroll battles.

why though if the result is the same

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

that will probably be in the ledger feature which is going to be added sooner or later. they confirmed they are working on getting one going a while back.

also since i posted my big thought here is my little thoughts;

tooltips for things which cost power points should always display what they do whether you can afford them or not. the diplo stance in particular does not show you what each stance does unless you have the power.

starving pop notifications should tell you how many pops over the threshold you are. right now i just have to keep moving pops until it disappears, which isn't very useful for planning. similarly, is there a tooltip somewhere i am missing which tells me the upper limit on pops per city before starvation? if not, add one which you see when you hover over something which displays city pop growth rates.

add a checkbox to cities like Vicky 2 rally points for where you want the game to send slaves if possible. make it cost a power resource to assign those rally points, and give players an upper limit on how many you can assign. right now it just sends most slaves to the capital, and then i have to send them somewhere else from there and it is a bit too clumsy and timewasting.

add a governor policy page to the macrobuilder.

there needs to be a better system for navigating the families of other nations. right now i just have to hope i stumble my way into interacting with people.

add more uses for both military power and religious power.

instead of making it so that units without a resource cannot reinforce, just make it so that they maintain at double or triple cost without the resource. right now it heavily discourages you from building units you don't have resources for domestically because revolts tend to break trade agreements a lot and the AI revolts a lot. there just isn't enough trade stability to do something like build foreign unit types. so, you can only recruit if you have the resource, but if you have recruited and lose the resource it just costs much more.

stop letting players get over a century ahead of tech. at one point i was something like 150 years ahead while everyone bar egypt was on tech 3. it is a bit too much of an advantage for singleplayer adventures.

1+ provincial trade routes on the economy commerce tab is very powerful and i don't understand why you would ever use the other two options. make the opposite end option more powerful to reflect this, or nerf the trade route option. for example, 1+ provincial trade route for free trade, while the opposite gives +[NATION RANK] capital trade routes (+1 for local, +2 for regional, and so on) would be an actual trade off.

e; on the tech issue, make the benefits of tech scale on how far ahead of time you are, where you see more of the benefits for it the closer to actual tech time you are. basically, make it so that you unlock a percentage of the bonus by being way ahead, and then as you get closer to the time you get more of it. for example on military tech, you get your morale boost at 10% value when 100 years ahead, 20% when 90, 30% when 70. already unlocked tech should scale up as you get closer to intended time. make it have diminishing returns to be so far ahead. this is only really a big issue on military technology, but it is such a big one because it removes too much challenge.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 27, 2019

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Gamerofthegame posted:

continuing the hot multiplayer issues saga of "you did dev streams of this how the gently caress is there this many issues"

so as said, there is NO CHAT and desyncs on rejoin and it takes nine years to download the save for some people, randomly, etc etc, but!

When the game is rehosted from a save it will try to put the player in the nation they previously played, if they're returning. Neat QoL improvement, alright. Expect it doesn't actually select the nation under the hood, despite appearing as such on both the UI and for everyone else in the game, including being able to ready up and such. You still need to at least click on it, otherwise you chill out in the lobby and everyone starts playing.

wuh

This is actually another User Experience regression Paradox decided to introduce, actually. This worked fine in EU3 and later EU4. Did the devs just really hate the team that created so many good UI improvements?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Another Person posted:

so here's my big thoughts said aloud to nobody in particular about imperator rome after playing epirus waaaay late into the game; it is too easy to conquer land and too easy to keep it

the game needs more CB types which make it harder to outright conquer land. make direct provincial conquest an expensive endeavour until you are massive, forcing you to take subject conquest until you big enough. that I, as one province Epirus, can conquer 6 province Macedon in two wars is a bit much. AE isn't the solution to this problem imo, much more expensive warscore costs and tiered CBs are.

also, kingdom succession needs to be messier? right now i am basically inheriting perfectly fine every time and even if i wasn't i think i'd be able to avoid a civil war because it is quite easy to keep under control. as such, i suggest adding in a sorta crowns system to the game where you hold crowns of specific territories, which when you die are given to each of your kids. make it a mix between euiv PUs of indirectly held lands, and CK2 gavelkind, where on death your successor sometimes needs to mop some poo poo up. basically each ruler slowly builds up, then is distributed among heirs, so there is a bit of a cycle going on. right now the family politics feels kind of stale and succession is somewhat simple and smooth, i think this would add more dynamics to both of them.

sounds like you want to be playing ck2 instead tbqh

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

sounds like you want to be playing ck2 instead tbqh

nah i never want to be playing ck2 if i can help it i just think families should do a tiny bit more, and you need more limitations to expansion. im not really asking for a ck2 level complexity to the system i would want, just something that makes succession less stable. for a time earmarked by bad successions it is just way too linear right now.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Fwiw i think this is a good game with a few unintuitive ui elements and room for improvement, but a great base to build off of. I can see dlc and immersion packs adding a lot to this and idgaf about the costs or virtues of the model because i get the time out of the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
As Belgia I have 6 clan chiefs each with 30 cohorts that I can't reduce or split up. Sadly, I have almost no provinces with a supply limit higher than 25. So I'm pretty much forced to take attrition, which is an issue because the chiefs often have loyal normal armies as well and it's draining my manpower. It's kinda annoying to be honest. (I already have 100% centralisation)

Another Person posted:

that I, as one province Epirus, can conquer 6 province Macedon in two wars is a bit much. AE isn't the solution to this problem imo, much more expensive warscore costs and tiered CBs are.

I'm not sure I agree. It's historically accurate that you can conquer tons of land in one war, it's holding on to it afterwards that's was historically always the problem.