Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mario was an allegory for a GI's journey through Vietnam. There was never any turning back, only victory or death; every time he thinks he reached the end of his tour (his princess), he gets a communication: "the princess is in another castle". They even pretend Mario's enemies are actually members of a military force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

jokes posted:

Mario was an allegory for a GI's journey through Vietnam. There was never any turning back, only victory or death; every time he thinks he reached the end of his tour (his princess), he gets a communication: "the princess is in another castle". They even pretend Mario's enemies are actually members of a military force.

this isnt an opinion it's just a youtube theory video

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

this isnt an opinion it's just a youtube theory video

jokes, who needs em?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

jokes posted:

The best part was when toad was shot up and mario had to stop himself from running out to save him cause lakitu would just gently caress up mario too

And then he paid for sex

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

signalnoise posted:

The best part was when toad was shot up and mario had to stop himself from running out to save him cause lakitu would just gently caress up mario too

And then he paid for sex

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

:hmmyes:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

See I would've thought the game co-opting First Nation culture with aliens and poo poo would've been insulting. Interesting to hear that it was cool and good from your perspective.

I have a distinct memory of playing through the game and thinking to myself that the vision quest segments were demeaning somehow. Not to mention spirit grandpa. And the spirit bow.

Like the other guy said, literally anything is better than nothing. I'll take clumsy but overall respectful over being ignored any day of the week.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Having witnessed one, I can confirm that they do sometimes physically fight.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's like if you are playing doom is shooting down a second zombie or demon add anything to the game beyond the first? What about third or a whole horde of them?

No. I want to know why there are zombies on mars and who doom guy is and whether big demons have more guts.

Why is there a chainsaw on Mars? Who thought THAT would be useful or even usable.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How else are you going to chop down the space trees

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Why is there a chainsaw on Mars? Who thought THAT would be useful or even usable.

The pointy space trees, they get it in the way.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One of my favourite in-universe justifications is in the New Vegas DLC Dead Money, where one of the weapons is a kitchen knife. I guess the writer felt the need to explain why these knives were still sharp after 200 years and were all over the place in kind of a small area, so there's an audiolog like "we got a huge shipment of knives made of some fancy high tech metal, there's way too many knives, and they're so sharp they cut through anything and are really inconvenient and dangerous to handle, and there's way too loving many of them, this sucks"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the real mystery of dead money is how your red hot knife never cools down once you create it by heating one on a stove for a minute

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Flannelette posted:

The pointy space trees, they get it in the way.

Only useful for base trees, not space trees, as the chainsaw engine can't run in space.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 are shite. They are Bethesda's fan wank.

Blizzard is not as good at making games as the circle jerk thinks they are.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No-one who'd actually waited for Fallout 3 ever since Fallout 2 back in the day disliked it.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Jerry Cotton posted:

No-one who'd actually waited for Fallout 3 ever since Fallout 2 back in the day disliked it.

Good for them, it's still shite.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
fallout 4 is the worst game I've ever beaten. I did bother to complete it though, so there are definitely worse things out there. THe nicest thing I can say about FO4 is that it occupies your hands while freeing you to listen to a year's worth of podcast backlogs without mental distraction.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Fallout 4 should have taken place entirely out on the ocean with rusted boats, floating raider cities made of lashed together garbage, and underwater vaults.

So basically Waterworld the game, but good.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well that's just false, I remember being disappointed by the cancellation of Van Buren and when Fallout 3 finally came out it was dogshit

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Y'all are forgetting the genius of fallout tactics.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Blizzard is not as good at making games as the circle jerk thinks they are.

Blizzard made two solid, quality games 20 years ago - Starcraft and Diablo II. All of its other games are either rehashes or innovations in trying to convert dopamine into cash (WoW, Hearthstone.) Diablo Immortal was eminently predictable and in fact the most blizzard-like game that could possible be imagined given the trajectory of the company and it's hilarious that people didn't think the company most representative of pay-to-win in all gaming wasn't going to fuse Hearthstone with Diablo and got all butt-hurt about it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jerry Cotton posted:

You only speak for a small minority of morons, most people who liked Fallout 1 and 2 recognized that Fallout 3 was a bad game

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Seems I posted... an unpopular videogame opinion!

Although I didn't.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
if you're not posting unpopular videogame opinions then gtfo

dragons dogma is better than witcher 3. there you go

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the only thing witcher 3 does better than dragons dogma is its tree physics

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
the klobb is the best gun in goldeneye

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

2house2fly posted:

if you're not posting unpopular videogame opinions then gtfo

dragons dogma is better than witcher 3. there you go

dragons dogma had my favourite video game moment, where my brother's character gay-married the merchant Reynard at the end of the game because he had the highest loyalty points or whatever. Seeing my brother's badass knight embrace and kiss Reynard the humble merchant made me absolutely lose my poo poo

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Blizzard made two solid, quality games 20 years ago - Starcraft and Diablo II. All of its other games are either rehashes or innovations in trying to convert dopamine into cash (WoW, Hearthstone.) Diablo Immortal was eminently predictable and in fact the most blizzard-like game that could possible be imagined given the trajectory of the company and it's hilarious that people didn't think the company most representative of pay-to-win in all gaming wasn't going to fuse Hearthstone with Diablo and got all butt-hurt about it.

To be fair, the name Blizzard is just a word used on legal forms at this point to denote ownership. The people that made those classic games have long since moved on.

These days with gaming I'm firmly in the camp that most comic book readers stand by, which is - "Follow the writer, not the Title."

Vakal fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 28, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

dragons dogma had my favourite video game moment, where my brother's character gay-married the merchant Reynard at the end of the game because he had the highest loyalty points or whatever. Seeing my brother's badass knight embrace and kiss Reynard the humble merchant made me absolutely lose my poo poo

The fact that you can just straight-up huck enemies off the side of a cliff to their screaming doom is one of my favorite things in any game ever.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Warcraft 1-3, especially the latter two, were really good games though :shrug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Blizzard didn't make Diablo 2, Blizzard North did. Blizzard North was a completly seperate company called Condor that Blizzard bought like 6 months before Diablo 1 was released and slapped their name on it. Blizzard North remained independent when they made Diablo 2, but after that they broke up.

So Blizzard actually only made one good game.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

And that one good game was obviously The Lost Vikings.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Rutibex posted:

Blizzard didn't make Diablo 2, Blizzard North did. Blizzard North was a completly seperate company called Condor that Blizzard bought like 6 months before Diablo 1 was released and slapped their name on it. Blizzard North remained independent when they made Diablo 2, but after that they broke up.

Diablo1 and War/Star/Craft are still two separate games.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

so when is Half-life 3 coming out?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

And that one good game was obviously The Lost Vikings.

Aha ha.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Vakal posted:

These days with gaming I'm firmly in the camp that most comic book readers stand by, which is - "Follow the writer, not the Title."

yeah, this is really the way to go these days. buying the name "Fallout" doesn't turn you into Tim Cain.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Vakal posted:

To be fair, the name Blizzard is just a word used on legal forms at this point to denote ownership. The people that made those classic games have long since moved on.

Better yet, follow the quality, not the name.

It’s hardly like 20 years ago when you had to buy a game based on boxart or hearsay. You’re empowered to make better decisions. Don’t fall back on slavishly following developers or companies or brands. Read reviews. Watch gameplay footage.

Gamers tend to forget all that. That’s why we have poo poo like people preordering games that turn out to be garbage.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Vegetable posted:

Better yet, follow the quality, not the name.

It’s hardly like 20 years ago when you had to buy a game based on boxart or hearsay. You’re empowered to make better decisions. Don’t fall back on slavishly following developers or companies or brands. Read reviews. Watch gameplay footage.

Gamers tend to forget all that. That’s why we have poo poo like people preordering games that turn out to be garbage.

gamers are stupid you say? I have a youtube you should watch.

I actually don't. Gamers are loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The White Dragon posted:

the real mystery of dead money is how your red hot knife never cools down once you create it by heating one on a stove for a minute

They actually specifically explain that too in the note where you get the crafting recipe from; Saturnite is a crazy space-age alloy that's super sharp and holds heat basically forever. It all ties into Old World Blues which takes place at the huge mad science facility where they invented the stuff and use it for a ton of experimental purposes, from power fists to artillery shells, and you can get your supervillain wannabe talking toaster to superheat the Saturnite Fist in the same way as the knives. (of course, due to silly DLC issues, there's no actual overlap of exclusive items from the DLCs)