Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

I now await the appearance of some sort of gross redneck devil wearing a SWORDS DON'T KILL PEOPLE I KILL PEOPLE tank top in the comic.

I think "KILL BOSS" was pretty much the same idea, but far more succinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fish Noise posted:

I now await the appearance of some sort of gross redneck devil wearing a SWORDS DON'T KILL PEOPLE I KILL PEOPLE tank top in the comic.

Are Oakleys and high and tights a multiversal constant

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Fish Noise posted:

Bonus points if they get hipchecked into oblivion within a page or two.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Hmm, new update appears to suggest Maya may in fact be a poor swordswoman after all. Then again I suppose if throwing yourself cheerfully into murder without a second thought about your chances was easy everybody would be great with a blade.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Link to update

This is some interesting detail. I've got no real opinion on it yet, but it's interesting.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Gun witches don't die so easily, it seems

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
On the one hand, the Pursuers joining the tournament is a tidy way to get them on Allison's path again. On the other hand, things usually start dying once Maya takes out that tuning fork thing. :ohdear:

It does seem obvious, in retrospect, that someone who hangs onto life for hundreds of years out of sheer spite has more problems than just self-loathing. This is maybe the least intense face we've seen out of contemporary Maya? Her eyes aren't even red.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 28, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I am very disappointed that the pursuers stopped trying to kill each other and I hope that this tournament will put them back on the right path.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

I mean it says you don't need a sword, but it's better if you have one, but if not, just rip dudes apart with your hands because you are fukken Royalty.
If you are a Sword Master, when you are in need of a sword your enemy will bring one to you.

Oxxidation posted:

meti's only possession is a sword, and she is in fact quite finicky about the ideal type and construction of the sword one should use

her "there is no such thing as a sword" koan ties into her belief that a true master of Sword Law views every part of their body as an executor of the Cut, that the sword one holds in one's hands is merely an extension of the true instrument of death that is the swordsman
Meti's sword was an unusable rusted piece of junk until she took on new students.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

Meti's sword was an unusable rusted piece of junk until she took on new students.

I am entirely certain that would not have stopped her from cutting things with it, since her idiot apprentice sectioned an angel using the stub of a blade attached to a hilt.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenebrais posted:

I am very disappointed that the pursuers stopped trying to kill each other and I hope that this tournament will put them back on the right path.

Well, they are not sensible people.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

If you are a Sword Master, when you are in need of a sword your enemy will bring one to you.

all the studen of sword law requires is an object that conveys the idea of sword, its condition is irrelevant.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Agean90 posted:

all the studen of sword law requires is an object that conveys the idea of sword, its condition is irrelevant.

For the masters, that object is their hand. Or their left big toe. Or any other body part you care to name. When a true master of the blade drops trou and challenges you to a swordfight, take him very literally.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I kinda want to make a Taoist swordsman for the new Legend of the Five Rings game now.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Darth Walrus posted:

For the masters, that object is their hand. Or their left big toe. Or any other body part you care to name. When a true master of the blade drops trou and challenges you to a swordfight, take him very literally.

Using a body part to Cut? A shameful crutch.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Darth Walrus posted:

Is the sanctioned action cut or uncut?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Maya's dialogue there seems to be implying that she's not capable of beating Incubus, which says some terrifying things about Incubus.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Her hair pin. Is that her key?

Might Incubus only have an emissary's power?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Shadowlyger posted:

Maya's dialogue there seems to be implying that she's not capable of beating Incubus, which says some terrifying things about Incubus.
I interpreted it more as even if she beat Incubus he’s done so much harm as a demiurge already that it doesn’t qualify as revenge.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

JT Jag posted:

I interpreted it more as even if she beat Incubus he’s done so much harm as a demiurge already that it doesn’t qualify as revenge.

I'm pretty sure the devil she's waited centuries to show vulnerability is not in fact "her memories of the things she has done."

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Her last lines are all about waiting for her opponent to show his weakness and stewing in her own anger which is the second time she's mentioned this grudge this conversation. We don't know why she considers anyone who holds a key beyond revenge, but I do think that this page hints that Incubus was the stronger swordsman between the two despite not being recognized as Meti's student.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Bilirubin posted:

Her hair pin. Is that her key?

Might Incubus only have an emissary's power?

Nah, I think Inky has the real key or Maya would have cut him into ribbons a long time ago.

Something happened and he rose to power before she could get revenge. I'm kind of partial to the idea that he went and killed Meti after he got the key because he developed some kind of grudge against her before that and the key was the only reason he ever stood a chance. It'd do a lot to explain Maya's hatred too, imagine she walked away from power and that's the reason Meti died, that'd be a pretty good reason to stay alive for hundreds of years on pure spite and rage. I hope we find out the rest soon.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 28, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
incubus and maya are trapped in the rocket tag dilemma

Mimesweeper posted:

Something happened and he rose to power before she could get revenge. I'm kind of partial to the idea that he went and killed Meti after he got the key because he developed some kind of grudge against her before that and the key was the only reason he ever stood a chance. It'd do a lot to explain Maya's hatred too, imagine she walked away from power and that's the reason Meti died, that'd be a pretty good reason to stay alive for hundreds of years on pure spite and rage. I hope we find out the rest soon.

i think meti was long-dead when he took the throne. im thinking maya abdicated in part because she was afraid that she would lose to incubus, and thus fail to avenge her master. sure, meti would call her a fool for that, but meti wound up torn apart and thrown to the dogs so whose the real brain genius

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 28, 2019

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

The idea that Maya abandoned her key to avoid fighting Incubus because she thought she'd lose is a really good one. It would neatly explain his sense of being 'cheated' and why she hasn't killed him, while at the same time showing that she's at least wise enough to know her own limits.

And it will make him all the more surprised to be taken down when he is.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
He's definitely going down Intra style to our furious dumbass anime nerd though, and I can't wait :allears:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Using a body part to Cut? A shameful crutch.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Maybe Maya beat Incubus early on but let him live out of the same pity she showed the "lowly" rat. Later she wins her key and takes her throne while Incubus shadows her. She becomes disillusioned by rule and abdicates leaving her throne to what she thought was a worthy successor. Instead Incubus takes the throne and butchers her worlds leaving her bitter and guilt ridden but unable to stop him due to the key tipping his power above hers. So now she waits like Incubus filled with hate and desire for her enemy to falter so she can destroy them.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
im glad INGSVLD is ok

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Really I just want Incubus to be as good at swords as he thinks he is. And to still lose in the end because this setting doesn't actually have untouchable power tiers.

Also, the dude can't catch a break. He faithfully learns and executes all of Meti's lessons without complaint and Maya is still the favorite student.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also, the dude can't catch a break. He faithfully learns and executes all of Meti's lessons without complaint and Maya is still the favorite student.

Those two things are probably related, if one pays attention to Meti's opinion on swords and the use thereof.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Real glad to see so many of our best friends hanging out and doing well, but I'm a little concerned about Hrotomos he looks kind of glum. Maybe someone just needs to burp him? That must be something of a challenge, just ergonomically.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

that's exactly what Solomon's going to do

his greatest mistake

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i want somebody to draw some sick fanart w like maya cutting her hair in her room or w/e while a figurative future maya looks on thatd be neat

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ashcans posted:

Real glad to see so many of our best friends hanging out and doing well, but I'm a little concerned about Hrotomos he looks kind of glum. Maybe someone just needs to burp him? That must be something of a challenge, just ergonomically.

hes meditating

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Tollymain posted:

hes meditating pooping

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can't help but notice the use of male-only descriptors in the heralds announcement. Solomon David totally excludes women from the tournament, doesn't he?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can't wait for Layla Brimstone to shoot Solomon David and draw blood because nobody's ever just tried shooting with a gun before and now a very surprised gunwitch is in charge of 1/7th of Creation.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I can't wait to see who Jagganoth sends to the tournament. He's probably got some scary rear end people working for him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Can't help but notice the use of male-only descriptors in the heralds announcement. Solomon David totally excludes women from the tournament, doesn't he?

I'm pretty sure he would allow anyone to participate because he wants someone strong and he's a part of a pact that has 3 women2 women and 1 mass of worms that looks like a woman on board, but at the same time his martial arts literally doesn't allow him to have any descendants but male ones. So maybe he only wants a king for the Celestial Empire and not a Queen. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Solomon's the kind of sexist who just assumes women who matter to what he cares about are the exceptional minority, so just assuming everyone who matters is a dude comes naturally to him. (Other genders probably don't occur to him at all.)

It's visible in all the patterns of his empire, and his patrilineage obsession with all his sons. Women probably have equal legal rights in his draconian state, but the statutes definitely use 'man' as a synonym for 'person.'