Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

the best part is that the cashiers always have long lines, because they never hvae more than 3 of them working at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

self checkout is not reducing labor through automation, its putting the labor on the costumer instead of paid workers

yeah it's this

Self-checkout is a way of getting you, the consumer, to do the work that a person would be paid for otherwise, allowing the company to save money by having one person watch 6 checkout lanes instead of having to pay 6 workers.

It's poo poo

absolute trash

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I was at Target late last night and the only checkstands that were open were the self checkouts. There was one woman sort of managing all four of these kiosks and it looked like it was going ok.

Then this old dude and his wife showed up with their cart of things and he asks "Do you have any human cashiers available? I'd like to checkout with a person who has a job."

I thought it was a clever way of disguising the fact that he's a selfish rear end in a top hat by couching his request in terms of caring about retail job availability. But all he wanted was to be catered to specifically by a person.

So she obliged and then other people got in line behind the old fuckers and then, one by one, the self check kiosks needed cashier intervention but nothing could be done because the one employee was busy ringing up a self centered boomer.

That's my story.

that old guy is a hero in this case

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I was at Target late last night and the only checkstands that were open were the self checkouts. There was one woman sort of managing all four of these kiosks and it looked like it was going ok.

Then this old dude and his wife showed up with their cart of things and he asks "Do you have any human cashiers available? I'd like to checkout with a person who has a job."

I thought it was a clever way of disguising the fact that he's a selfish rear end in a top hat by couching his request in terms of caring about retail job availability. But all he wanted was to be catered to specifically by a person.

So she obliged and then other people got in line behind the old fuckers and then, one by one, the self check kiosks needed cashier intervention but nothing could be done because the one employee was busy ringing up a self centered boomer.

That's my story.

sounds like they need a second employee to run their grocery business

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

self checkout is not reducing labor through automation, its putting the labor on the costumer instead of paid workers

Yeah. And we were promised RFID tagged groceries 20 years ago so we wouldn't even have to use a checkout scanner, but that appears to be as hard as fusion reactors to implement.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Prav posted:

sounds like they need a second employee to run their grocery business

yeah no poo poo but that employee can't fix that at 10:00 pm on a Friday. he's technically right but he's literally helping no one.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

sounds like he's helping himself

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Sounds like the kind of thing you should call management about and be very clear that you blame them personally and not their hero employee who deserves a raise and that you will probably call corporate to let them know the managers are trash

It's a hollow bullshit empty threat but store managers are cowards and you should always tell them that you hold them personally responsible for problems that come from their lovely hour cutting bullshit

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nothus posted:

Yeah. And we were promised RFID tagged groceries 20 years ago so we wouldn't even have to use a checkout scanner, but that appears to be as hard as fusion reactors to implement.

It's not hard as gently caress, it's expensive as gently caress. RFID tags are always going to more expensive than a paper tags, not that most grocery stores even paper tag their items anymore. External RFID tags would just encourage assholes to swap tags as well, and get $200 in groceries for the price of 20 apples. And trying to get food manufacturers to build in RFID tags into their packaging is a literally impossible task, as you'd never get them to agree on a style or standard of doing so.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Paramemetic posted:

Sounds like the kind of thing you should call management about and be very clear that you blame them personally and not their hero employee who deserves a raise and that you will probably call corporate to let them know the managers are trash

It's a hollow bullshit empty threat but store managers are cowards and you should always tell them that you hold them personally responsible for problems that come from their lovely hour cutting bullshit

lmao why would I call someone's manager because an old shithead is being an old shithead? I made my purchase and left.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

it’s reducing the amount of labor I have to engage in to pay for my groceries if ya know what I mean

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Well, the payroll cost shrunk so I guess it must be automated. Checkmate lib

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
self checkout has helped me make my foodstamps stretch so much. No-one gaf no matter how much you forget to scan.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

lmao why would I call someone's manager because an old shithead is being an old shithead? I made my purchase and left.

To pressure management to employ more people / give more hours to workers instead of making everyone work 3 parttime jobs + 8 gigs I guess

I mean if you're makin' it about that, otherwise yeah just buy yr poo poo and go lmao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the best part is because the grocery stores dont try to measure how much more people steal going through self checkout so even if they are losing tons of money due to increased theft they dont care because labor costs are all management cares about

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

cashiers get paid so little i cant imagine that the couple hundred bucks the company saves a day outweigh the increased theft too much

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cashier is such a weird job because I can't think of another job which has had such insane wage rollbacks in such a short amount of time,

Safeway used to pay cashiers $20 an hour when I was a kid, so 1980's dollars. Plus they got benefits and perks and poo poo. In less then 20 years cashier has become a minimum wage job at best.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Cashier is such a weird job because I can't think of another job which has had such insane wage rollbacks in such a short amount of time,

Safeway used to pay cashiers $20 an hour when I was a kid, so 1980's dollars. Plus they got benefits and perks and poo poo. In less then 20 years cashier has become a minimum wage job at best.

Its weird because on paper the grocers union has a huge membership and a lot of big chains are union shops but in practice it's a company union where new hires are all minimum wage with poo poo benefits and it's only dudes in their 50s that have been there since high school making enough to live off

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-25/the-future-of-work-could-bring-more-inequality-social-tensions

quote:

Automation, robots and globalization are rapidly changing the workplace and governments must act fast and decisively to counter the effects or face a worsening of social and economic tensions, the OECD warned.

Almost half of all jobs could be wiped out or radically altered in the next two decades due to automation, the Paris-based group said in a report on Tuesday. According to OECD Labor Director Stefano Scarpetta, the pace of change will be “startling.”

Safety nets and training systems built up over decades to protect workers are struggling to keep up with the “megatrends” changing the nature of work, the OECD said. While some workers will benefit as technology opens new markets and increases productivity, young, low-skilled, part-time and gig-economy workers are vulnerable.

“Deep and rapid structural changes are on the horizon, bringing with them major new opportunities but also greater uncertainty among those who are not well equipped to grasp them,” Scarpetta said.

Read More: The Message for Capitalism Is Quite Simple: Adapt or Die

The employment report is the latest OECD warning about risks to governments in advanced economies, which have already manifested themselves in a surge of support for populist political leaders. The organization has highlighted a squeeze on the middle classes, future jobs losses from technology and a widespread dissatisfaction in rich countries.

Changes in employment will hit some workers more than others -- particularly young people with lower levels of education and women who are more likely to be under-employed and working in low paid jobs, the OECD said.

It recommends more training and urges governments to extend protections to workers in the “grey zone,” where a blurring of employment and self-employment often means a lack of rights. The report also warns of “negative ramifications” for social cohesion.

Future of Work Highlights:
14 percent of jobs could disappear from automation in next 15 to 20 years
32 percent likely to change radically from automation
One in seven workers are self employed, one in nine on temporary contracts
Six out of ten workers lack basic IT skills
Union membership has fallen by almost half in the past three decades

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like self checkout because i worked a register and i can work faster than most people and like the freedom to pack my bags how i like them to be bagged

sucks they cut hours instead of hiring people to man the register but that’s out of my hands

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Its the same thing with those restaurants that dont have someone who's there just to put your napkin in your lap for you. the restaurant gets to cut on labor and make the customer do it instead.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

truly this was the weirdest part of “stranger things”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cashiers make ~17,75 per hour + extra for weekends etc here in dk. then again, high taxes but universal healthcare so not really comparable i guess.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Larry Parrish posted:

Its weird because on paper the grocers union has a huge membership and a lot of big chains are union shops but in practice it's a company union where new hires are all minimum wage with poo poo benefits and it's only dudes in their 50s that have been there since high school making enough to live off

gently caress the UFCW. gently caress them hard. They never did gently caress all for us, and actively worked to create contracts that pit older workers against more recent hires. Also the rep was buddy-buddy with all the managers, like a pud.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

the only grocery store union i've ever been familiar with had a few full-time lifers with good pay and benefits and a lot of part-time young people making minimum wage and no benefits, and the store just pitted them against each other any time there were contract negotiations, like offering contracts along the lines of "we cut full-time pay and benefits and no one gets a raise, but every employee gets a $200 bonus on the spot" and all the full-timers voted no and all the part-timers voted yes because they were planning to quit in a month anyway so it was free money, and the contract was approved because the part-timers outnumbered the full-timers like 3 to 1

needless to say, both groups of employees loving despised each other

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
also i never use self-checkouts on principle because i'm unwilling to do work that the store should pay someone else to do for me

this is also why i don't eat at korean barbecue places

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

also i never use self-checkouts on principle because i'm unwilling to do work that the store should pay someone else to do for me

this is also why i don't eat at korean barbecue places

You use the self service checkouts to steal more stuff than they would have spent on staff.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Not having to look someone in the eye when buying Safeway ice cream at 2am is a nice feature of modernity

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Yeah, self checkouts are a blessing for people with generalized anxiety.

I get what I need with minimal non-essential human interaction for those days when other people are too much to deal with, but I still need fuckin groceries.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

self checkouts make me more anxious because if i do something seemingly wrong it screams "UNKNOWN ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA" for gently caress all reason or goes "please wait for someone to assist you!!" when i say i have fuckin bags i don't need to pay for paper bags, and the line behind me grows and the monitoring person is busy with someone else so i'm just stuck, and even if it takes longer with a cashier, at least i don't look like i'm a dumbass who doesn't know how to use a self checkout

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Gnossiennes posted:

self checkouts make me more anxious because if i do something seemingly wrong it screams "UNKNOWN ITEM IN THE BAGGING AREA" for gently caress all reason or goes "please wait for someone to assist you!!" when i say i have fuckin bags i don't need to pay for paper bags, and the line behind me grows and the monitoring person is busy with someone else so i'm just stuck, and even if it takes longer with a cashier, at least i don't look like i'm a dumbass who doesn't know how to use a self checkout

i cant wait for when self checkouts just shoot and kill you when anything goes wrong because gently caress you, criminal

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
"BITCH, YOU JUST WEIGHED THESE GOTDANG BANANAS," I scream at the machine, "THE gently caress YOU MEAN 'UNKNOWN ITEM IN THE CHECKING AREA,' STOP loving WITH ME."

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

KiteAuraan posted:

gently caress the UFCW. gently caress them hard. They never did gently caress all for us, and actively worked to create contracts that pit older workers against more recent hires. Also the rep was buddy-buddy with all the managers, like a pud.

I moved to Ohio from WV while working for Kroger as a pharmacy technician. In WV the pharmacies aren't part of the union. After about 6 months I put in for vacation, I had two or three works accrued because I'd worked in WV for a year or so.

Management approved my vacation. I went to make a withdrawal while in Scotland and found out I hadn't been paid. When I got home I found out my union steward got management to revoke my vacation because I earned it while not part of the bargaining unit.

gently caress UFCW and any other union that colludes with management against the workers.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Edit: UFCW also regularly tried to negotiate that pharmacy technicians should be paid at the same pay scale as baggers because we were a "data entry position." I was a nationally certified pharmacy technician but the union negotiated that management shouldn't recognize outside certifications because it was unfair that pharmacy technicians could bypass seniority by having credentials. It made it really hard when strike talk would happen since my comrades were threatening to strike to make sure I was paid less.

Paramemetic has issued a correction as of 06:33 on Apr 28, 2019

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

This reminds me of a section of a book that anyone who frequents this thread would love. It's from The Dark Forest and without giving too much way the future of humanity is filled with cosmological hubris solely because there is IoT everywhere like cigarettes that you check your email from and sidewalks that you can check your email from and shoes that you can check your email from. There is a scene where the IoT tries to kill someone and of course the hubris eventually completely backfires nicely.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that whole trilogy is completely depressing. three dimensional life only exists because of precursor aliens being so desperate to destroy their enemies that they used dimensional collapse weapons to destroy reality as both them and their enemies knew it, just because

and life as anyone can imagine it, even mathematically, is impossible in two dimensions, but huge chunks of the three dimensional universe are already collapsed into two dimensions

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
Self checkout thieving tips, UK edition:

Greet the door security on arrival with a nod, make eye contact. Look smart & purposeful, carry a reusable tote bag with a respectable class signifier (Waitrose, Guardian, art gallery logo, or similar). Take a basket - you can put your environmentally friendly bag in the bottom and some stuff will just naturally fall in before you make it to the checkout.

When you're at the registers, put a few expensive items (i.e coffee, meat, butter, chocolate, detergents, etc) on top of the scanner, as if considering your purchase, while you scan thru less expensive items (bulky staples, veg, crisps & snacks, tinned goods). Think about the size and shape of what you buy vs. what you rob. Don't steal beer, but always use buying beer as an opportunity to rinse some other poo poo ("I forgot" is much more believable when you might be half cut.)

Pay for the cheap poo poo then pack everything, including unscanned items, into your nice bag. This works even better on the new type of cashless self-checkouts that don't have a weighing scale. Put the pricey stolen stuff at the top - the less you try to hide it, the easier it can be blagged off as a simple absent-minded error. Never print a receipt, or leave a receipt in the machine. Once all your poo poo's on board, head for the door. All security tags in local supermarkets are bogus, the magnetic barriers are switched off or hosed half the time anyway. Greet the door staff again on your way out.

Obviously this only works if you can pass as white, middle-class and well-off. Supermarkets have training guidelines on who's not to be trusted and professional- or hipster-looking ABC1s don't figure on those. When I have cash I'll spend it at independent, immigrant-owned shops. When I don't have cash, I'll take the things I want from the big chains that are making life harder for those kind of places. Good luck to anyone who works retail; I did for several years, and my advice to someone starting out would be to gently caress with your employer's bottom line as early and often as you possibly can.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I like self checkout because I can scan the items at my own pace so I can be sure I won't be overcharged with items mislabel. With a cashier its too fast to follow the screen. The screen also intentionally list the price and discount number in different places to confuse you.

I also sometimes throw stuff in the bag if the scanner doesn't register the barcode, it's not my fault if their scanner doesn't work.

I know you guys argument about machine replacing human jobs but in the long run, human really shouldn't be doing these kind of dumb jobs. I also know somebody is going to bring up the failure of retraining. That's because neoliberal hellhole like US and UK doesn't spend any money on retraining (0.1% of GDP) compare to Scandinavian countries (2% of GDP).

tino has issued a correction as of 11:23 on Apr 28, 2019

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://twitter.com/bilalfarooqui/status/887025375754166272

https://twitter.com/originalgriz/status/887662467014434816

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
"Uh yeah, it drowned itself", said the shifty looking heros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Basically lmao if you aren't taking the self checkout as an opportunity to shoplift a day's pay worth of poo poo from the store.