Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

What part of "I augmented this elephant with plasteel tusks, robot legs, and cyberorgans to keep the thing alive, then mounted a charge blaster on top" doesn't sound like something you gotta do right now?

Seriously it's an organic AT-AT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
One of those chocobo things with advanced archotech legs and that mod that makes cybernetics boost your carrying capacity and congrats now you have the best caravan animal.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 26, 2019

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It looks like the original mod got taken off of the workshop, but someone remade it as Animal Cybernetics.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sometimes I like the extra challenge of leading a colony that won't get dragged to the Space Hague for crimes against humanity, okay?

Keeshhound posted:

It looks like the original mod got taken off of the workshop, but someone remade it as Animal Cybernetics.

This looks perfect, thanks!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Warmachine posted:

What part of "I augmented this elephant with plasteel tusks, robot legs, and cyberorgans to keep the thing alive, then mounted a charge blaster on top" doesn't sound like something you gotta do right now?

Seriously it's an organic AT-AT.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sometimes I like the extra challenge of leading a colony that won't get dragged to the Space Hague for crimes against humanity, okay?

This looks perfect, thanks!

Elephants aren't human. :colbert:

Besides, all of my colonies are warcrime free--

Warmachine posted:

I'm trying for a space utopia colony not Shadowrun. Tasteless/artificially flavored goo may nourish the body but not the soul.

--ok maybe I AM trying for Shadowrun. Chrome everything.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
One thing I've found consistent is that whatever my colony needs to thrive is without fail the one thing every merchant will not have, or at least not in quantity.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tristesse posted:

One thing I've found consistent is that whatever my colony needs to thrive is without fail the one thing every merchant will not have, or at least not in quantity.

Bulk good trade ships always arrive early game when I have a glut of steel and poo poo but never late game where I am scrounging up each and every steel chunk I can find.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Alright dipping my toes into this. I've been talking with KillerofLawyers and he's got a modpack recommended. Hit me up with any suggestions goons. First timer.

Also, gently caress leaving. I want to make this world mine. Any mods for that? Evacuating is for chumps. :colbert:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I try to run my colonies like long term endeavors as well.

I like the Vanilla Expanded Furniture and associated Medical Furniture mods. Gives some nice additional furniture options to flesh out a colony.

Sparkling Worlds adds good endgame content and a few neat world map events.

More Faction Interaction is good.

Musical Instruments adds a neat addition of music performance to the colony, though I've not gotten to a good spot with it yet to try it out as a integral part. Additional Joy Objects and Rimwriter are neat as well for new recreation and other room constructions.

Roads of the Rim means you can add roads to the world map and they impact travel time. Local settlements will also offer to build roads for payment.

Psychology for the new pawn psyche tab to flesh them out and adds the Mayor/elections. Rumor Has It adds nice intrigue between colonists.

Real Ruins is great to add new things to go to on the map. Also generally means when you crash-land, there are dilapidated ruins to move into, which is neat from an RP standpoint.

Tech Advancing mod means you can start out as tribal, but once you're smart enough to have modern stuff then you graduate up to industrial and eventually spacer tech levels, so even though your colonists are rocking ARs and geothermal generators, apparently they're all still tribal dumb.

Real Beds means I can now do thrumbofur royal beds. That sells it for me.

Children, School, and Learning I like because a long term colony should have generations, even if kids are more often a hindrance than a direct help.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The advice is always basically just look through the most subscribed pages on the workshop. The choices are less what you need and more how much poo poo you want to put in your game.

Personally I like dubs bad hygiene for adding water mechanics and plumbing, fits in nicely with the base game. Also rimefeller and rimatomics add a bunch of late game stuff to play with.

Basically I'd just suggest play a game and then look for mods based on what you want to add to the experience. Do you want to have tiberium in the game? Lovecraftian monsters? Wizards? Vampires? Werewolves? Space marines? All of the above? You can do that. But it's really down to personal taste what sort of experience you want.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
If you’re going for long term you’ll probably want a prosthetics and organ transplant expansion mod. I use ‘expanded prosthetics and organ engineering’ mod. It’s pretty balanced because it’ll eat right through your plasteel reserves.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Plasteel and labor. Super useful to have organs and cyber limbs on hand but you're gonna be using almost an entire pawn for that. If you go down the path of madness that is pet cyber limbs then it's basically full time.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SEAL Team 6, after killing Smaug under the Lonely Mountain - 22 Halimath, year 2941 of the Third Age, colorized.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

man did Save Our Ship ever get updated? i miss my adventures rolling around with a team of badass Judges rolling from planet to planet murdering the gently caress out of perps and poo poo

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

man did Save Our Ship ever get updated? i miss my adventures rolling around with a team of badass Judges rolling from planet to planet murdering the gently caress out of perps and poo poo

Someone took over maintaining it, since the original appears abandoned. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1541262111

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i think i'll need to do that again. i always dread starting up a new game of Rimworld because the first 30 days of the game are always the same finicky, boring poo poo before you start firing on all 8 and the game gets super fun. landing on wacky-rear end planets with a team of badasses is a refreshing change from that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coolguye posted:

i think i'll need to do that again. i always dread starting up a new game of Rimworld because the first 30 days of the game are always the same finicky, boring poo poo before you start firing on all 8 and the game gets super fun. landing on wacky-rear end planets with a team of badasses is a refreshing change from that.

This is sorta where I am right now. It's 5509, I have 50 pawns, a mountain fortress that occupies basically the entire mountain, a pet dragon, two nuclear reactors, and 15 soon-to-be-bionic elephants. Thinking about just starting a mission to build a ship and send like ten of them to a new planet.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Warmachine posted:

This is sorta where I am right now. It's 5509, I have 50 pawns, a mountain fortress that occupies basically the entire mountain, a pet dragon, two nuclear reactors, and 15 soon-to-be-bionic elephants. Thinking about just starting a mission to build a ship and send like ten of them to a new planet.

How big are raids at a 50 head count and what difficulty are you on?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

How big are raids at a 50 head count and what difficulty are you on?

Randy Rough, and the last pirate raid was somewhere between 100 and 150, plus some hacked mechanoids. 4 doomsday launchers were in the crowd, I remember that much.

edit: one of the pirates was riding a hacked Mammoth mech. That was exciting.

edit 2: Here you go. This is a siege.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 29, 2019

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Holy gently caress that tiberium mod looks swank as heck.

E: Does anyone know of a good discord to sit in and ask rimworld questions in? By good i mean: Not a raging shithole full of alt-right dickheads. I have standards, they're low, but they exist. :colbert:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 29, 2019

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Need some help with Rimefeller.

Build a synthylene refinery and have a pipe running from a chemfuel tank (which has fuel) to the refinery and have unloading bays built but nothing happens. No synthylene is output. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: nevermind, sorted. I found the bill for synthylene on the control computer.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 29, 2019

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Yea, Starmancer and Space haven are the two rimworld clones that don't look like a scam. Both have working Alphas and the mechanics look pretty solid.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I've wanted basically a mash-up of Rimworld and FTL where you manage a crew while cruising the galaxy/universe for jobs.

Even neater would be one where you manage a colony with multiple ships trying to keep the colony alive and the ship crews from spacing themselves.

Oh, I can see it now - base game is a group of humans sent to partially colonize a distant system, because the FTL system that connects colonized systems to each other requires infrastructure at both sides so you get sent to manage the colony and production of the infrastructure on that side. Build colonies on different planets to get to different resources, use orbital stations instead, spaceships are for mining, exploring, or combat, or...

Similar to Surviving Mars there are various quest paths that can widely impact gameplay, but I'd try to make it so each colonist means something rather than the nameless though lower number thing Surviving Mars feels like. Alien ruins, hostile fauna, pre-FTL sentients, etc.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Too bad you can't rename your colony site once it's set.

I had a meteor made of jade land and smash open an ancient danger room filled with murder robots. The good news though is that the jade is stopping the robots from getting out. I showed this to my husband he replied "it's like a bullshit Wakanda, or a Wackanda."

gently caress that's a great name for this place.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I think I did that at one time and if memory serves it was a super easy edit in an XML file. One line of text, delete the contents of a bracket, type in the new name, save and done.

Notepad++ is pretty awesome for this.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I think you can do it from the dev console too, but I forget where.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Asimo posted:

I think you can do it from the dev console too, but I forget where.

Actions - Misc > Name Settlement

content edit: MoneymoneymoneyMoneymoneymoneyMoneymoneymoneyMoneymoneymoney Money motherfucker

Danger Close is also a terrible idea.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 1, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My EdB Prep carefully and all my other mods don't work no mo.

What do I do to update them? I am still subscribed to them, it's just I haven't played in a long time and now they're probably outdated or something.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tias posted:

My EdB Prep carefully and all my other mods don't work no mo.

What do I do to update them? I am still subscribed to them, it's just I haven't played in a long time and now they're probably outdated or something.

If you haven't played in a long time, in guessing you're subscribed to older versions of the mods. Go through your list and make sure everything is tagged [1.0] for compatibility with the latest version of Rimworld, or find the rerelease/replacement if they're not.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks! The page says my Edb-Prep Carefully works with 1.11 and up, but it doesn't :confused:

Even when I unintall all other mods, it gives a string saying

quote:

RimWorld 1.0.2231 rev1144
Verse.Log:Message(String, Boolean)
RimWorld.VersionControl:LogVersionNumber()
Verse.Root:CheckGlobalInit()
Verse.Root:Start()
Verse.Root_Entry:Start()

ReflectionTypeLoadException getting types in assembly LessArbitrarySurgery: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Verse.ModAssemblyHandler.AssemblyIsUsable (System.Reflection.Assembly asm) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Loader exceptions:
=> System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'HugsLib.ModBase' from assembly 'HugsLib, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.ModAssemblyHandler:AssemblyIsUsable(Assembly)
Verse.ModAssemblyHandler:ReloadAll()
Verse.ModContentPack:ReloadContent()
Verse.LoadedModManager:LoadModContent()
Verse.LoadedModManager:LoadAllActiveMods()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
Verse.Root:<Start>m__1()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__1()

Failed to patch the game code as needed for Prepare Carefully. There was an unexpected exception.
at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Harmony.AccessTools+<>c.<TypeByName>b__1_0 (System.Reflection.Assembly x) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateSelectManyIterator>c__Iterator12`2[System.Reflection.Assembly,System.Type].MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[Type] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate, Fallback fallback) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[Type] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 predicate) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Harmony.AccessTools.TypeByName (System.String name) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at EdB.PrepareCarefully.HarmonyPatches..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Verse.Log:Warning(String, Boolean)
EdB.PrepareCarefully.HarmonyPatches:.cctor()
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers:RunClassConstructor(IntPtr)
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers:RunClassConstructor(RuntimeTypeHandle)
Verse.StaticConstructorOnStartupUtility:CallAll()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:<DoPlayLoad>m__2()
Verse.LongEventHandler:ExecuteToExecuteWhenFinished()
Verse.LongEventHandler:UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent()
Verse.LongEventHandler:LongEventsUpdate(Boolean&)
Verse.Root:Update()
Verse.Root_Entry:Update()

Enabled Prison Labor v0.9.11
Verse.Log:Message(String, Boolean)
PrisonLabor.Initialization:.cctor()
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers:RunClassConstructor(IntPtr)
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers:RunClassConstructor(RuntimeTypeHandle)
Verse.StaticConstructorOnStartupUtility:CallAll()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:<DoPlayLoad>m__2()
Verse.LongEventHandler:ExecuteToExecuteWhenFinished()
Verse.LongEventHandler:UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent()
Verse.LongEventHandler:LongEventsUpdate(Boolean&)
Verse.Root:Update()
Verse.Root_Entry:Update()

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Tias posted:

Thanks! The page says my Edb-Prep Carefully works with 1.11 and up, but it doesn't :confused:

Even when I unintall all other mods, it gives a string saying

First thing I would do is make sure that you have HugsLib properly installed (and at the top of the load order after Core), since Less Arbitrary Surgery is hitting an error about it before getting to Prepare Carefully. Don't know for sure offhand but it's quite likely to be related.

Tias
May 25, 2008

isndl posted:

First thing I would do is make sure that you have HugsLib properly installed (and at the top of the load order after Core), since Less Arbitrary Surgery is hitting an error about it before getting to Prepare Carefully. Don't know for sure offhand but it's quite likely to be related.

Thanks!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Someone figured out how to teach your mortar operators trigonometry. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1729446857

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Did any of the good children mods ever make it to the steam workshop?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
yeah, Children and Learning or something like that, just search for children and it will probably pop up.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I noticed the tiberium mod ain't up to 1.0 yet, is the cthulhu stuff fine for 1.0? And could I happily keep my robots and technology and fight ELDRITCH HORRORS with the might of AI and androids?! :getin:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Cthulhu mod works great in 1.0, and is compatible with everything, but please note that if the robot mod of your choice includes explosive deaths, sacrificing a robot to Nyarlathotep might blow your priest's arms off. Whether or not you consider this a plus is between you and the King in Yellow.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The tiberium FACTIONS mod works in 1.0, so you can still get all the fancy doors and equipment at the very least. Ion lights loving rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
From the funny pictures thread: