Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Y'all can't be serious with just figuring out the uno dos tres thing

Maybe Articuno and Moltres slipped by yall but Zapdos???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Definitive list of good pokemon: The ones I like

Bad ones: The ones I don't like

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Uh, what? That's not what the birds are referencing.

Moltres
Zapdos
Articuno

Clearly they're a reference to Mozart, geez.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it’s Art Zamo, one of the lead translators

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Good old Art, he came up with the names of Golem and Persian

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Persian is one of the laziest Pokemon names. They didn't even go for the obvious pun and spell it Purrsian.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I believe that the legendary birds were the first and last time that legendary Pokémon have wildly different localized names. I think their hand was forced because there's no way that Western audiences would accept "Freezer", "Thunder", and "Fire".

I wonder what Japanese fans think of gen 1 Pokémon names. That generation, and that generation alone, is full of really simple names directly from English mixed in willy-nilly with the more typical wordplay names. Do they find names like "Sand" (Sandshrew), "Ghost" (Haunter), and "Showers" (Vaporeon) as hilarious as we do?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Silver2195 posted:

Persian is one of the laziest Pokemon names. They didn't even go for the obvious pun and spell it Purrsian.

Seel.

SEEL!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Silver2195 posted:

plus, it's a Siamese, not a Persian

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

leave art alone

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
he's long dead

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Nyamese

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mizuti posted:

I believe that the legendary birds were the first and last time that legendary Pokémon have wildly different localized names. I think their hand was forced because there's no way that Western audiences would accept "Freezer", "Thunder", and "Fire".

I wonder what Japanese fans think of gen 1 Pokémon names. That generation, and that generation alone, is full of really simple names directly from English mixed in willy-nilly with the more typical wordplay names. Do they find names like "Sand" (Sandshrew), "Ghost" (Haunter), and "Showers" (Vaporeon) as hilarious as we do?

Imagine if they had changed Pikachu's name for the English release. We'd all be eagerly awaiting the movie Detective Zaprat

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Glad they kept Pikachu's name for all versions. Unfortunately, they decided to give that treatment to all the Pikaclones too. Some of them work just fine, like Plusle and Minun, but Togedemaru and Pachirisu don't work nearly as well.

Forsythia fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 28, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Anime Lana is the best

please don't disrespect Mallow thusly

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mizuti posted:

Glad they kept Pikachu's name for all versions. Unfortunately, they decided to give that treatment to all the Pikaclones too. Some of them work just fine, like Plusle and Minun, but Togedemaru and Pachirisu don't work nearly as well.
My Japanese students have trouble with Togedemaru.

Has Togedemaru been in the Dub yet? I wanna hear that

EDIT: he has been and they say it fine

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 28, 2019

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Mizuti posted:

Some of them work just fine, like Plusle and Minun, but Togedemaru and Pachirisu don't work nearly as well.

Togedemaru is adorable and has a name that is super fun to say. Throat my goat of you think otherwise.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I love the name Togedemaru because it sounds like a character from Goemon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

E2M2 posted:

It took me til a couple months ago to realize that the gen 1 birds were uno dos tres

That's what I liked about em' as a kid. Course' I overanalyzed the gently caress out of everything.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

indigi posted:

please don't disrespect Mallow thusly

Mallow has literally done nothing of note for over 115 episodes

Team Rocket has to lower itself to her level so as to not damage her self-esteem, and her pokemon evolved without doing anything and she kidnapped a Shaymin to boot

On top of that, every time she gets a focus episode, she gets overshadowed, whether by a pokemon (oranguru), family member (her brother), or Team Rocket themselves

It's such a disappointment that SM's squandered the trial captains by turning them into school students - Sophocles has also been hit particularly hard, as his focus lately has been the fact he's always hungry and likes to eat, and his "dream" of being an astronaut has only ever been brought up once and never followed up on

Then SM's going to try and make the classmates relevant again in a future episode, acting like its characters have been getting development and deserve all the rewards they're going to get

Screw this saga
They tried something different and it backfired spectacularly

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Togedemaru is super cute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP3MSFt7h0o

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Mizuti posted:

They could have stylized them as Freeza, Thundah, and Fiyah. Like Destoroyah.

Fourth gen kinda had it going on with their trio (Agnome, Emrit, and Yuxie).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Team Rocket has to lower itself to her level so as to not damage her self-esteem, and her pokemon evolved without doing anything and she kidnapped a Shaymin to boot

On top of that, every time she gets a focus episode, she gets overshadowed, whether by a pokemon (oranguru), family member (her brother), or Team Rocket themselves

It's such a disappointment that SM's squandered the trial captains by turning them into school students - Sophocles has also been hit particularly hard, as his focus lately has been the fact he's always hungry and likes to eat, and his "dream" of being an astronaut has only ever been brought up once and never followed up on

Then SM's going to try and make the classmates relevant again in a future episode, acting like its characters have been getting development and deserve all the rewards they're going to get

Screw this saga
They tried something different and it backfired spectacularly

i have strong opinions about this childrens cartoon

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mizuti posted:

Two out of three lake guardians also had their names changed, from Agnome and Emrit, to Azelf and Mesprit, respectively. Uxie kept its original name.

Similarly, all of the Forces of Nature had their names changed, going from Voltolos, Tornelos and Landlos, to Thundurus, Tornadus and Landorus respectively.

I think those are all the examples of that happening though.

The Golden Gael posted:

They could have stylized them as Freeza

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 28, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaze Dragon posted:

Cosmoem was also changed, from the much better name Cosmovum.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

mandatory lesbian posted:

That's 75% of the fun of Pokemon, let's be fair

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

mandatory lesbian posted:

wtf are you doing here if you don't have a strong opinion

James is best, but Ash is also charming, and the only thing I can't stand is all the goddamn squealing that goes on constantly. I wish only Pikachu spoke in a human voice and the rest just made animal noises augh.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
My opinions are strong, and good, and my friends.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HopperUK posted:

I wish only Pikachu spoke in a human voice and the rest just made animal noises augh.

I can't believe we're gonna have to confiscate your Pokemon Trainer license, but unfortunately that's how it is.

I'm playing Insurgence on the "Not Super Edgy" mode and on Normal. It's...actually pretty okay? There's some grinding but it's not as bad as the LP thread said it would be. Maybe it's because I'm playing a later version. Anyway, caught a Marill, evolved it and it's a goddamn little beast. Stronk Pikablue.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

YaketySass posted:

My opinions are strong, and good, and my friends.

mine are just tools and weapons

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Two out of three lake guardians also had their names changed, from Agnome and Emrit, to Azelf and Mesprit, respectively. Uxie kept its original name.

Similarly, all of the Forces of Nature had their names changed, going from Voltolos, Tornelos and Landlos, to Thundurus, Tornadus and Landorus respectively.

We also have Gokuzaru!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

uh she's been a great friend to all her classmates and good daughter to her father and recreated a long lost traditional Alolan recipe. you probably just hate her because she's olive skinned

(I've only seen like 10 random episodes with my nephew so idk if that stuff happened 115 episodes ago)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

also I'm glad that Stoutland died, and furthermore

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The only good Pokemon episodes are when there are no humans. Similarly, The Movie was completely overshadowed by Pikachu's Vacation.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nasgate posted:

The only good Pokemon episodes are when there are no humans. Similarly, The Movie was completely overshadowed by Pikachu's Vacation.

That's why the Keldeo, Zoroark, and second Mewtwo movie are some of the best of the franchise

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Dias posted:

I can't believe we're gonna have to confiscate your Pokemon Trainer license, but unfortunately that's how it is.

I understand :(

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm between Lilycove and Mossdeep in my watch of Advanced Generations, and while there's been some mediocre-to-bad filler lately (I thought the first episode with Spoink losing its pearl was cute, but rehashing the plot 14 episodes later was just lazy), it's still generally better than early-to-mid Johto. Speaking of the Spoink line, the Contest episode with Grumpig vs. Combusken was also cool; I take back what I said in a previous post about Combusken being a bad Pokemon for Contests.

On other sites I see a lot of people bashing the AG anime because the Hoenn Gym Leaders "went down too easily," which I don't really see; Ash's battles against the Hoenn Gym Leaders so far all came down to the wire except for Wattson, and there were special circumstances there. Apparently a lot of the complaint is based on the infamous Thunder Armor tactic against Tate and Liza, which I haven't gotten to yet. If anything, the Hoenn Gym Leaders have put up a better fight that the Johto ones.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Pretty much every Gym leader goes down too easy because Ash is a worse Pokemon trainer than I was when I was 8

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it doesnt help that the show revolves around some bizarro world logic, or at least used to, and moves do completely different, seemingly random things compared to their in-game analogues a lot of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
cool golisopod just used a super fast teleport water attack! golisopod is pretty slow normally and also learns aqua jet, that must have been aqua jet!

[translation comes out and its apparently liquidation]

oh