Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Ironically it fights for first place with another Lem story

Well, that's Stanislaw Lem for you. Dude was seriously good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm reading Zelazny's "My Name is Legion" currently and I think I'll drop it. I didn't even realize at first that it was a collection of short stories or I probably wouldn't have started it. The first one was kind of OK.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/FolgerLibrary/status/1121474277373562881

:monocle:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

genericnick posted:

I'm reading Zelazny's "My Name is Legion" currently and I think I'll drop it. I didn't even realize at first that it was a collection of short stories or I probably wouldn't have started it. The first one was kind of OK.

The stories are kinda linked and the last one kinda brings them together. Might want to skip ahead to it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The stories are kinda linked and the last one kinda brings them together. Might want to skip ahead to it.

Did that. The last one was also OK. But then somehow even Lord of Light didn't really click with me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Got David Zindell's Neverness in the mail today and it's reminding me a lot of Paul McAuley's Confluence - a young man, a quest, and really wild world-building that's evocative and full of great imagery.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I finished Gnomon and now I'm confused.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

genericnick posted:

Did that. The last one was also OK. But then somehow even Lord of Light didn't really click with me.

If Mahasamatman can't save you then the fit's hit the shan

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Read a review of Sixteen Ways To Defend a Walled City that made it sound interesting. Anyone read it and know if it's any good?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It was p. good IMO.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

team overhead smash posted:

Read a review of Sixteen Ways To Defend a Walled City that made it sound interesting. Anyone read it and know if it's any good?

It’s basically the engineer trilogy in one book. If you’ve read any KJ Parker before it’s going to be very similar. If you haven’t, it’s worth a shot; I enjoyed it.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I'm around 15% of the way through it, and I love the tone of the main character so far.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

team overhead smash posted:

I didn't love it. It's written with this very no-nonsense, almost extravagantly practical tone. But the actual plot is the kind of absolutely bonkers nonsense that you would expect from Wagner on an absinthe binge or a shonen anime. And both of these things could work fine separately, they do not play well together at all. The narrative tone keeps drawing attention to just how ridiculous the plot beats are, and the operative nature of the plot makes the tone feel small-minded and stupid.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

genericnick posted:

Speaking of short story collections, I'm going through N.K. Jemisin's "How long 'til black future month ?" collection and goddamn these are good. I'm in a big patch of non-fiction right now so I'm using the shorts as a break between dry history tomes.

Read this book !

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I need someone to read the Mistwraith series with me so we can be sad together. I'm in early Fugitive Prince and it really hurts seeing a character develop from "I'm a good guy" to "some genocide is okay" to "screw genocide, slavery is better" and just. I'm emotional.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I need someone to read the Mistwraith series with me so we can be sad together. I'm in early Fugitive Prince and it really hurts seeing a character develop from "I'm a good guy" to "some genocide is okay" to "screw genocide, slavery is better" and just. I'm emotional.

Mistwraith as in Wurts's Wars of Light and Shadow series?

That's been in my queue forever but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

Mistwraith as in Wurts's Wars of Light and Shadow series?

That's been in my queue forever but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it.

Yes, and you should read it. So far - I'm on book 3 - every book has stopped at a good pause in the action, so I wasn't desperate to grab the next book and keep reading. So if you want to do a book and then take a break and come back, it works really well.

The writing is easily some of the best I've ever seen in the fantasy genre, so detailed and wonderful.

Also I think you were the one who tried her Cycle of Fire series? That trilogy has exceptionally poor pacing and doesn't hold a candle to Wurts' later works.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also I think you were the one who tried her Cycle of Fire series? That trilogy has exceptionally poor pacing and doesn't hold a candle to Wurts' later works.

Yeah, I loved Daughter of the Empire, was underwhelmed by her contribution to some short story collection I read (I forget which one) and then bounced off Stormwarden extremely hard, and never got around to Curse of the Mistwraith.

Maybe I'll give it a shot after I finish my current Valdemar kick.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of short story collections, I'm going through N.K. Jemisin's "How long 'til black future month ?" collection and goddamn these are good.

Do they peak just before White Future Month?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of short story collections, I'm going through N.K. Jemisin's "How long 'til black future month ?" collection and goddamn these are good.
They absolutely are. She's really good.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/TorDotComPub/status/1118139727784312832

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
What is the sci-fi short about the (modified?) giant squid with nukes that decides to hold it's creator nation hostage, and the human negotiator who was also a psycho?

Having a hard time finding it, even though there are several "squids in sci-fi" lists on the internet, I'm not finding the one I mean.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Slo-Tek posted:

What is the sci-fi short about the (modified?) giant squid with nukes that decides to hold it's creator nation hostage, and the human negotiator who was also a psycho?

Having a hard time finding it, even though there are several "squids in sci-fi" lists on the internet, I'm not finding the one I mean.

This sounds vaguely like a Red Alert 2 expansion?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
This one was passed around for a bit: https://www.drabblecast.org/2013/12/06/drabblecast-305-testimony-emergency-session-naval-cephalopod-command/

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Slo-Tek posted:

I think you are thinking of Testimony Before an Emergency Session of the Naval Cephalopod Command

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Haha! I win.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
That the one, thanks guys.

The article about the Beluga whale in a military harness showing up bothering Norwegian fishing boats rather brought it to mind.

Pretty sure surplus biological weapons systems pursuing solo careers is a giant blinking billboard that we are living in a sci-fi dystopia.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Slo-Tek posted:

The article about the Beluga whale in a military harness showing up bothering Norwegian fishing boats rather brought it to mind.

Pretty sure surplus biological weapons systems pursuing solo careers is a giant blinking billboard that we are living in a sci-fi dystopia.

I dunno the whale seems chill

Belugas are just friendly lookin

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

That's how you know they're spies.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Slo-Tek posted:

It's not really anything new.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ben Nevis posted:

That's how you know they're spies.

Spyhoppers.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Poor guy flunked out of the spy program because he didn’t want to kill Americans

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

mewse posted:

Poor guy flunked out of the spy program because he didn’t want to kill Americans

The Whale Who Came In From the Cold

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Whale Who Came In From the Cold

:lol:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Phanatic posted:

It's not really anything new.

Oh god this movie is so bad its amazing

:drat:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
*bursts in, choking with laughter, tries repeatedly to share joke, collapses on couch, eventually gasps out a single word*

Flipper

(Too bad it wasn't a bottlenose dolphin - tursiops turncoatus, rear end in a top hat of the sea.)

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

Oh god this movie is so bad its amazing

While I've never seen it, it's the "Unwittingly" that really gets me in that description. Like maybe the dolphin accidentally killed the president of the PTA and George C Scott was all, "I can't stay mad at you, have a mackerel." And then he kills the president of the rotary club, mackerel, and the dolphin just keeps killing more and more important presidents, unwittingly conditioned by GCS to believe that's how to get mackerel.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I read this. It was definitely an attempt by Greg Egan to be more story driven and less Big Idea driven and it was alright but I think his niche is always going to be Ideas Guy.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I didn't dig it very much.

I was hoping for more... I dunno, big black hole ripping the atmosphere off and people having to live underground and whatnot. What I got was whiny dude on a boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
He kept teasing equations but not actually printing the equations in his book. Coward.

I was expecting a lot more logistics, but it was refreshing to see him writing something different.