Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Digitally remastering! Did you have the pic of the old one on an underlayer while you were doing the new drawing?

Yup! The original one was colored in with leftover Sharpies I think. It felt really good to get an actual black 'black' filled in.

Love the pose on that chick by the way. Those are some good gams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Bajaha's Baja from his thread over in AI.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
just a quick little nighttime scene

edit:

Al! fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 29, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Porsche Carrera

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Doing another art stream tonight, as I need to get some pixel environment art work done:

https://stream.shinmera.com

Chat does not require registering, just choose a name and chat away! Hope to see you there!

Worked on the tileset some more, but didn't get as far as I wanted to.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 29, 2019

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hello I am poo poo and I know it. I would like some advice on cleaning up work because while I can sometimes make sketches that I like, when its time to clean them I feel like something just doesn't get carried over? And it usually ends up looking kinda stiff and weird

vs

This was a rush job with lining but tbh the slower and harder I try the worse it seems to get. Any advice?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

cw: suicide

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Xun posted:

Hello I am poo poo and I know it. I would like some advice on cleaning up work because while I can sometimes make sketches that I like, when its time to clean them I feel like something just doesn't get carried over? And it usually ends up looking kinda stiff and weird

vs

This was a rush job with lining but tbh the slower and harder I try the worse it seems to get. Any advice?

Please do not put yourself down! Everyone's poo poo when they start out and practice makes perfect.

As for your problem: When you clean up, loads on information that you already put down is lost. We also tend to automatically make sense of a bundle of lines, choosing the best way they can be interpreted when we've got extra info to go on, and dismissing the ones that don't fit. When you decide on a path, these alternate ways of seeing the picture are erased, leaving only the certainty that maybe this curve should've been a bit more to the right after all. There's also a sense of motion that comes from sketchy overlapping lines that doesn't carry over to a single line.
You can sidestep this by adding motion swooshy lines, by adding texture and volume-defining lines or by adding shadows or colours. So essentially, adding back extra info now that you've taken it out. Observe this quick volume definition/shadow addition to your pic:

Walla, more alive already. If you wanted to add more sense of motion, I'd loosen the lines up a bit, let them curve and vary in width more. Tussle the hair, exaggerate the billowing cloak, that sorta thing.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Also, when you're working in black and white, use your black! "Just lines" tends to look unfinished, but if you add solid black areas (shadows, bits that would be darker colours, etc) it looks more deliberate.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Daily Drawings & Doodles: Always be adding black.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

More cars and tires. Getting burned out on these so I think it's almost time to do something else. Although I think I actually learned quite a bit... so, success? Maybe I'll join the birb drawings if it's not too late.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Do you call them poison arrow frogs or poison dart frogs?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Delicious Candy Frogs

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

heavy liquid posted:

More cars and tires. Getting burned out on these so I think it's almost time to do something else. Although I think I actually learned quite a bit... so, success?

I'd definitely say your car drawings have been getting more confident.

Does anyone know a good resource on croquis drawing? I've been invited to a session by an acquaintance, and would like to prepare at least a little bit beforehand. I've watched some of Proko's gesture drawing videos, but I don't feel like it's really clicking, at least not in a way that shows up in my drawings.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Gonna try and doodle a day for May, because why not.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:iiam:

Working on my digital inking, trying to get a more natural feel with it.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Tayacan posted:

I'd definitely say your car drawings have been getting more confident.

Does anyone know a good resource on croquis drawing? I've been invited to a session by an acquaintance, and would like to prepare at least a little bit beforehand. I've watched some of Proko's gesture drawing videos, but I don't feel like it's really clicking, at least not in a way that shows up in my drawings.

Thanks! I do feel much more comfortable drawing them now, but can tell I could spend a LOT more time with them to get everything right.

As for croquis, you could try doing a few sessions with some of the models at CroquisCafe on YouTube for preparation. I don't think there's any wrong or right way to go about drawing the poses. You'll just need to work on getting as much information on the paper as quickly as possible before the next pose. It's something that will become easier the more you do it.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

heavy liquid posted:

As for croquis, you could try doing a few sessions with some of the models at CroquisCafe on YouTube for preparation. I don't think there's any wrong or right way to go about drawing the poses. You'll just need to work on getting as much information on the paper as quickly as possible before the next pose. It's something that will become easier the more you do it.

I had not heard of that channel! Thank you, I'll check it out.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I have some doodles and sketches.

The difference between sitting on the couch watching youtube and deliberately draw at my desk is huge.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Please do not put yourself down! Everyone's poo poo when they start out and practice makes perfect.

As for your problem: When you clean up, loads on information that you already put down is lost. We also tend to automatically make sense of a bundle of lines, choosing the best way they can be interpreted when we've got extra info to go on, and dismissing the ones that don't fit. When you decide on a path, these alternate ways of seeing the picture are erased, leaving only the certainty that maybe this curve should've been a bit more to the right after all. There's also a sense of motion that comes from sketchy overlapping lines that doesn't carry over to a single line.
You can sidestep this by adding motion swooshy lines, by adding texture and volume-defining lines or by adding shadows or colours. So essentially, adding back extra info now that you've taken it out. Observe this quick volume definition/shadow addition to your pic:

Walla, more alive already. If you wanted to add more sense of motion, I'd loosen the lines up a bit, let them curve and vary in width more. Tussle the hair, exaggerate the billowing cloak, that sorta thing.

lofi posted:

Also, when you're working in black and white, use your black! "Just lines" tends to look unfinished, but if you add solid black areas (shadows, bits that would be darker colours, etc) it looks more deliberate.

Thanks for the advice! I feel like there is so much for me to try to work on but not enough time :/ When you say vary in width do you mean in one stroke or throughout the image?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Xun posted:

Thanks for the advice! I feel like there is so much for me to try to work on but not enough time :/ When you say vary in width do you mean in one stroke or throughout the image?

I did mean in one stroke, but now that you mention it, it's also cool & good to do thicker lines where shadows would fall or to outline the main forms among a pile of lines or for dark and heavy things. The opposite being true - fine linework for stuff that's lightweight or in the light, details etc. I mean, there's a ton of ways to do linework and what you do with it should depend on what you want from your pic.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Love this!

Okay! These are both still fairly sketchy/rough, but I think they turned out alright. I spent about 30 min on each one.

The Gigahorse - A deranged amalgamation of two 1959 Cadillac Coupe De Ville's ripped apart and welded back together, the Gigahorse is then mounted onto a truck chassis and powered by two supercharged V8s positioned adjacent to one another.

The Buggy #9, based on the Perentti which, itself, takes cues from the Corvette. Of course there is also a gun strapped to the roof.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Thanks!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Squirrels!
Did you know that a squirrel can survive a rattlesnake bite? Yep. They have the ability to neutralize snake venom.

Edit - I'm open to suggestions for granimals to draw, if anyone wants to see them immortalized in my sketchbook

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 3, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You should draw a jerboa, the IRL pokemon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIZgNC8bSnE

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
May 2nd: realised that parking myself in front of a tourist attraction meant I could do life studies of people holding the same position for their selfies.

May 3rd: work hard. art level effort: 0.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Many years ago, I drew a Yoshi in my sketchbook, and my friend doodled an otter right next to him. Finally decided to redraw it.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

cyclops goat

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Oh gosh, I love this!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi posted:

You should draw a jerboa, the IRL pokemon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIZgNC8bSnE

Great suggestion! I would have never thought of that. One (or four) jerboas coming up!
The one you linked is a pygmy jerboa. It looks like others have varying sized ears, which is pretty interesting. Maybe it's age related, but I didn't look it up. I like the ones with the enormous ears.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 4, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

heavy liquid posted:

Great suggestion! I would have never thought of that. One (or four) jerboas coming up!
The one you linked is a pygmy jerboa. It looks like others have varying sized ears, which is pretty interesting. Maybe it's age related, but I didn't look it up. I like the ones with the enormous ears.

Those are really cool! I am working on a frog at the moment and will finish the background tomorrow I think.
Another thing I found out is that google has no answer to the question "What animal should I draw today?" and now I am wondering if there is a comprehensive list of animals somewhere so that I can use a RNG. I read something about this guy Linneaus who did some work in that domain.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I posted maybe a month or two ago about trying to learn to draw and while I haven't posted anything since it's not because I gave up. Rather, I found (from this Sub Forum) Marc Leone's lectures on youtube and I've been working through his videos more or less every day. I didn't see much point in posting the work before now, since it was all abstract exercises like forms, shape, perspective, etc, but now we've finally gotten around to making something "real", a city in three point perspective:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Keetron posted:

Those are really cool! I am working on a frog at the moment and will finish the background tomorrow I think.
Another thing I found out is that google has no answer to the question "What animal should I draw today?" and now I am wondering if there is a comprehensive list of animals somewhere so that I can use a RNG. I read something about this guy Linneaus who did some work in that domain.

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your frog when you finish it.

Your question about researching "what animal should I draw today?" led me to this, which has 1000+ animals in it's database:
https://randomanimalgenerator.com/

I'll probably end up using it, unless anyone shouts out an animal request.