Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Is there a good rundown of PF2 for people who did not play PF1?

-Focus on clear rules and technical language
-Math is well-tested and works well in all respects
-Emphasis on character customization and choice through feats (which you receive at least one of per level except for levels where spellcasters get new spell levels)
-Support for play beyond just combat through multiple modes of the game like the actual mechanical procedure of dungeon crawling, non-combat interactions, skill challenges, and exploration like hexcrawling
-Skills and equipment matter quite a bit. Every character has skills that they are the best at, and they can do things with those skills that no one else can duplicate. (You get skill feats that allow you to build up these capabilities.) Equipment is a significant source of strength - your best healer isn’t a cleric, but a Heal skill trained character with a kit.
-Class balance looked to be very good. Fighters are still non-magical but have extraordinary capabilities (Come and Get It was a notable inclusion.) Class roles or marking are not included.
-Monster/NPC creation is stat-based and runs off its own system, not off of PC rules (although monsters do sometimes use PC abilities or spells.) Monsters are not solely built for combat and have non-combat capabilities.
-Deeply embedded in Pathfinder’s own setting of Golarion. The base assumption is now that you’re playing in Golarion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Lucas Archer posted:

They're still finding the Sihedron tattoos on everything they kill, and I'm really looking forward to the discovery that every monster they've killed has actually helped Karzoug in the long run. Our fighter has actually talked about possibly getting it tattooed on himself(!) to fool any evil agents that he is a part of the cult. THAT would be entertaining..

Rise of the Runelords book 6 spoiler:
Careful with that by the way, Karzoug's magic captures all the souls of beings that die with the rune on them to fuel his return and you wont find the device that does that until the second to last room in book 6, so if the fighter dies while being tattooed he should technically be not raisable.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

-Deeply embedded in Pathfinder’s own setting of Golarion. The base assumption is now that you’re playing in Golarion.
Have they rewritten Golarion to excise the derivative stuff and racist stereotypes? The "magic Romani" ethnic group and the entire country that was just "1793 Paris spread way too thin" from the 1E setting book made my eyes roll nearly out of their sockets.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

NGDBSS posted:

Have they rewritten Golarion to excise the derivative stuff and racist stereotypes? The "magic Romani" ethnic group and the entire country that was just "1793 Paris spread way too thin" from the 1E setting book made my eyes roll nearly out of their sockets.

Search your heart.

Caros
May 14, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

Don't forget Mwangi, the jungle land full of dark skinned tribal cultures.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
We know very little about the background, playtest was focused on the rules.
Correctly imo, rules need to be gotten right from the star, much easier to retcon setting.

If it lives up to the potential they were getting to in the playtest it could be great and they are trying to make the rules more toolbox, where you can put in new rule modules without breaking the game so you can build the game to your specifications without needing to go crazy houseruling,

One of the designers for example made his characters go mythic by giving them a mythic proficiency rank as an example. Which worked out as a higher proficiency bonus (very powerful) and custom more powerful abilities.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Caros posted:

Don't forget Mwangi, the jungle land full of dark skinned tribal cultures.

They noted Mwangi as something they needed to redo more appropriately in 2e. What that will look like I don’t know. The big stereotype areas aren’t going anywhere, having Galt as revolution land is seen as an asset.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Are they also producing a 2e Golarion? I just figured they’d keep the setting the same, since the adventure paths have already seen 3.5 and PF1 rulesets...

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Axiem posted:

Are they also producing a 2e Golarion? I just figured they’d keep the setting the same, since the adventure paths have already seen 3.5 and PF1 rulesets...

The setting is only getting updated to the extent necessary to incorporate some cannon adventure path endings that change the geopolitics of some areas. Runelord stuff in Varisia, breakaway area of Cheliax, worldwound closed but still with a heavy demon presence, whatever happens with Lastwall and the Whispering Tyrant in the current AP, etc.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Wait what part of Galt do you object to

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Axiem posted:

Yes, the first supplement is a new campaign setting book.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have been informed that Galt doesn't actually look like what its name might suggest it is.

This pleases me.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have been informed that Galt doesn't actually look like what its name might suggest it is.

This pleases me.

It's more "Revolutionary France if the guillotine mobs never knew when to stop and spent a hundred plus years plotting to overthrow the current batch of backbiting bastards so they can install their own, new band of backbiting bastards."

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There should still be an AP set there about a valley of rich retired adventurers hoarding their magical treasure behind a giant invisibility spell.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
my group has really enjoyed PF2, and we're not much into 1e.

It helps a ton that they're not just building off the bones of a hastily made 'uuuuh what if we did 3.75?????' concept and now, ya know an actual system with its own identity. Turns out they're actually pretty solid devs! Good for them.

Also yea despite the name Galt owns bones, please don't disparage my good friends the guillotine crew.

Because they'll guillotine you for disparaging them.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

They noted Mwangi as something they needed to redo more appropriately in 2e. What that will look like I don’t know. The big stereotype areas aren’t going anywhere, having Galt as revolution land is seen as an asset.

The forgotten realms solution to exercising their lovely racist stuff by literally dropping an asteroid on it and blowing it up is legitimately the best solution especially if it introduces are better and more interesting group/species.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm really interested in doing 2 but the group I play Pazio stuff with has had a lot of real life getting in the way so who knows if we finish the two games we're in the middle of now and the game we've already decided we're playing after those.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

what is bad about galt defend yourselves and your bad opinions

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

sugar free jazz posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: What is so bad about Galt? This is John Galt speaking...

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

sugar free jazz posted:

It's a superficial treatment of what, one time in one place during one of the French Revolutions? A stereotype of the Reign of Terror, 1793, in Paris. Somehow the writers scraped this thinly over decades of fictional history for an entire nation. Even the first French Revolution had so much crazy stuff between political shifts and local events in various regions (eg the War in the Vendée) that you could talk about it for 32 hours and probably still have loads of material. (Check season 3 for that.) And that was just the first one - France has had between four and six revolutions total depending on how you count them.

My point is, there's more than enough material to draw from to actually flesh this out and make it feel like a real country. Instead they published a lazy historical pastiche and called it a day.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"Lazy historical pastiche" applies to pretty much every Pathfinder country until they get fleshed out in a book or AP

I don't think Galt's gotten any real material except for a gazetteer blurb in the original campaign guide book so far

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Galt serves the fundamental needs of locations published RPG settings really well, and that's having a thematically evocative place using minimum word count that (a) is an easy hook for PC backgrounds, (b) is an easy hook for home GM plot railroads, and (c) can be expanded upon later without having to noticeably rewrite anywhere else in the setting.

This approach also gets you racist stereotypes if you're not careful about what you're actually evoking, which is how they got Mwangi.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lazy historical pastiches are good imo

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Despite the crusader imagery, I do have a soft spot for Mendev and Lastwall. Two adjacent nations of poor bastards barely holding off their own separate apocalypses.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Arivia posted:

Lol they named revolution land Galt?

Is there a gulch nearby, perhaps?

Really glad to hear the playtest was a real playtest and the rules seem to be coming together though. I started running the playtest for my group the other month but we didn't even get through the first chapter until the players decided that between all the new rules and errata and things changing so much still on top of that until August that they'd rather wait and dive into 2e when it releases instead. We're now doing a Rise of the Runelords Anniversary edition with Core Rulebook only campaign to hold us over.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Apr 29, 2019

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Eox posted:

Despite the crusader imagery, I do have a soft spot for Mendev and Lastwall. Two adjacent nations of poor bastards barely holding off their own separate apocalypses.

My condolences.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eox posted:

Judging by the AP summaries Lastwall might be done for.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Spoilers for the Tyrants Grasp AP.

By the third episode of Tyrants Grasp it is pretty much all destroyed

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

NGDBSS posted:

It's a superficial treatment of what, one time in one place during one of the French Revolutions? A stereotype of the Reign of Terror, 1793, in Paris. Somehow the writers scraped this thinly over decades of fictional history for an entire nation. Even the first French Revolution had so much crazy stuff between political shifts and local events in various regions (eg the War in the Vendée) that you could talk about it for 32 hours and probably still have loads of material. (Check season 3 for that.) And that was just the first one - France has had between four and six revolutions total depending on how you count them.

My point is, there's more than enough material to draw from to actually flesh this out and make it feel like a real country. Instead they published a lazy historical pastiche and called it a day.

Jesus Christ historical accuracy is not an important part of a high fantasy lich n dragon setting. Galt is a fun and silly place that works great as a setting for characters and adventures.

It’s fun, unlike book 5 of Reign of Winter, their treatment of Rasputin is HIGHLY inaccurate and furthermore,

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

sugar free jazz posted:

Jesus Christ historical accuracy is not an important part of a high fantasy lich n dragon setting. Galt is a fun and silly place that works great as a setting for characters and adventures.

It’s fun, unlike book 5 of Reign of Winter, their treatment of Rasputin is HIGHLY inaccurate and furthermore,

"It's lazy and one note" isn't the same thing as "It's historically inaccurate."

Also, "bloodthirsty Jacobin mobs braying for the blood of the outsider, unlike the orderly cities run by people literally called Hellknights" is... uh... an interesting setting choice.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Capfalcon posted:

"It's lazy and one note" isn't the same thing as "It's historically inaccurate."

Also, "bloodthirsty Jacobin mobs braying for the blood of the outsider, unlike the orderly cities run by people literally called Hellknights" is... uh... an interesting setting choice.

bloodthirsty jacobin mobs in a roiling, politically unstable, bloodthirsty, and revolutionary atmosphere actually rules

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

sugar free jazz posted:

bloodthirsty jacobin mobs in a roiling, politically unstable, bloodthirsty, and revolutionary atmosphere actually rules

sounds like it can either be that bad or last a long time, not both, though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gort posted:

It’s on the same planet as robot land and the magic stone that makes you a god. I don’t give a poo poo how realistic it is, it’s fun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Capfalcon posted:

wait do you think the hellnights are good guys

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'oh so you have this constantly rolling unstable city full of people prone to be violent revolutionaries due to past experiences, but you also have a demon ruled imperial authoritarian nation kept orderly by brutal and violent soldiers?' isn't the dunk you think it is

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

wait do you think the hellnights are good guys

Some of them are LN and reasonably okay? It largely comes down to the Order in question.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

sexpig by night posted:

'oh so you have this constantly rolling unstable city full of people prone to be violent revolutionaries due to past experiences, but you also have a demon ruled imperial authoritarian nation kept orderly by brutal and violent soldiers?' isn't the dunk you think it is

The complaint I've consistently seen - and this applies to basically ALL D&D locations that are extremely "Also here are some nazis!" - is that it's not unstable. They largely end up buying into actual nazi propaganda that their state is going to be orderly and well put together and efficient, and give extremely dogshit themes of "but is the order worth the human cost???" Whereas in reality Nazi Germany was falling the gently caress apart almost immediately and was a miserable shitfest for absolutely everyone.

And hey, maybe don't buy into nazi propaganda.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Gort posted:

yea elves wizards dragons Cthulhu liches planar travel magic spells sentient trees the tarrasque and rovagug sure. Stable and identifiable by observable aura moral designations no problem.

But a nation with decades long revolution and instability? I can only suspend my disbelief so much, HIGHLY unrealistic

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

sugar free jazz posted:

yea elves wizards dragons Cthulhu liches planar travel magic spells sentient trees the tarrasque and rovagug sure. Stable and identifiable by observable aura moral designations no problem.

But a nation with decades long revolution and instability? I can only suspend my disbelief so much, HIGHLY unrealistic

I didn't read the setting so I don't need to compare anything and can instead point at the one dumb thing I heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

The complaint I've consistently seen - and this applies to basically ALL D&D locations that are extremely "Also here are some nazis!" - is that it's not unstable. They largely end up buying into actual nazi propaganda that their state is going to be orderly and well put together and efficient, and give extremely dogshit themes of "but is the order worth the human cost???" Whereas in reality Nazi Germany was falling the gently caress apart almost immediately and was a miserable shitfest for absolutely everyone.

And hey, maybe don't buy into nazi propaganda.

There’s the second-most APs set in Cheliax and they’re all dedicated to how it’s pretty untenable.