Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

titties posted:

I was reading this year's fishing regulations and it stuck out to me that it's illegal to harvest freshwater clams and mussels in Michigan.

It reminded me of the time i was crappie fishing with one of those multiple-hook crappie rigs. After some time with no action, I reeled in to find a mess of snarled hooks with a crawfish clamped down on one and a clam on the other.

What is some weird poo poo you unintentionally caught?

Another fishing pole.

A pair of glasses.

A seal.

A pelican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

An honest-to-god old, rotting shoe.

An overly aggressive duck (line tangle only).

My sunglasses, from my face, unceremoniously ripped from said face while casting.

The line of whoever I happen to be fishing next to at the time. Once this was a mutual tangle, and one hook ended up on the underside of the float tube.

I'm not a very good fisherman.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I reeled in a bluegill with a water moccasin attached once.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

titties posted:

Today I reeled in a 10lb turtle. The wife has managed to entangle a seagull. But usually my weird catches are other people's bottom rigs and, on one occasion, a moss-encrusted spinning rod and reel.

Two other frustrations of the day: first senko strike of the year, and it threw the hook at the dock. Caught nothing at the river after passing two guys carrying some massive catfish to their truck.

EDIT: visiting the Fort DeSoto gulf pier once upon a time, everyone kept hooking the dolphins that hang around.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I’ve hooked a couple of gannets. Angry, pecky things with sharp beaks and and a tendency to vomit their last meal everywhere as a defensive strategy.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Chaosfeather posted:

An overly aggressive duck (line tangle only).

I'm always worried about this with the muskrat that hangs out near my usual fishing spot :ohdear:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

titties posted:

Half of a triggerfish with a hammerhead attached. Said hammerhead let go once it broached in

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
The same Tope Shark with in 20 minutes.

I was~6 and went fishing with my dad and grandfather out in the marshes of SC. We got into a school of trout and created an assembly line. Grandpa baited and tossed, handed to me, I hooked and reeled in, my dad then unhooked and occasionally baited if time allowed.

Then I hit something loving hard. And it nearly took the rod out of my hand when it ran. My grandpa grabbed the rod halfway up before it made it out and wrangled it in. It was a 3 or 4' little Tope Shark. My grandfather grabbed a small ore and beat the gently caress out of the sharks nose until it created a crease in the nose.

Shortly after we caught that shark again because we noticed the crease he had put there.

Not necessarily ethical, but my grandfather was about as ethical as it got, but looking back it may have been done differently.

Only other "crazy" thing I have caught are American Eels in the Intercoastal behind my aunt's beach house at about 10pm. I wasn't sure how to unhook it and it ended up death rolling, hooking itself on the 2nd set of hooks and rolling its self too tight and exploded.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
First fish on the banty 3wt. Such a good time.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I introduced my daughter to the random things you can catch last year when she hooked a 4 inch box turtle. Never heard my 6 year old scream in shock at what was at the other end of the line.

This year I'm going to try and get her kayak fishing, so more to come. Actually this year we will either be fishing in Italy or the beautiful NW depends on how the job turns out.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Italy would be fun to fish. Its home to Black Flagg plastics which I've been wanting to try, but next to no places in the US sell them. Like 3 shops that I've found and all they do is drop ship. Given my experience with anything Italian in cars, I expect it to work beautifully, then fall apart and somehow catch fire after a single fish.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Rythe posted:

I introduced my daughter to the random things you can catch last year when she hooked a 4 inch box turtle. Never heard my 6 year old scream in shock at what was at the other end of the line.

This year I'm going to try and get her kayak fishing, so more to come. Actually this year we will either be fishing in Italy or the beautiful NW depends on how the job turns out.

I do a bit of kayak fishing in the Bremerton, WA PNW.

See you around shipmate?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Caught a keeper chain pickrel today, poor thing had the emptiest stomach. He'll be filling mine in a few days, gonna marinate it in fish masala and yoghurt, then shallow fry and serve with rice.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

How is chain pickerel to eat? I tend to only eat saltwater fish with the exception of catfish, and even then I'm picky.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

They're boney as gently caress IIRC

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I think they're supposed to be delicious but a pain to eat

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I dunno if there's really a difference but I've filleted and eaten a northern pike. It was great meat, but yeah the y-bones are kind of a pain to figure out. I'd probably only consider a larger pike (like at least 20") worth the effort. Watch a few videos on how people fillet them to get an idea.

My family in MN have a recipe for pickled pike as well. Apparently the pickling makes the bones soft so you don't need to worry about them. I could find that recipe if you're interested

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I've never seen a pickerel either but i always assumed it was the same as a northern Pike, really good to eat but you have to cut out the y bones which costs you a little meat

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Pike opens here in a few weeks and I really would like to catch one. I've watched a few videos and I'm sorta nervous about handling them, is it hard to find the gill plate? I don't want to kill a fish via stupidity. So far I've caught nothing but SMB.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

prom candy posted:

Pike opens here in a few weeks and I really would like to catch one. I've watched a few videos and I'm sorta nervous about handling them, is it hard to find the gill plate? I don't want to kill a fish via stupidity. So far I've caught nothing but SMB.

Get a lip grip. Don’t touch the fish.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I cleaned my first pike the other week and it was a cakewalk once you do it the 5 fillet method. It’s no walleye easy cut and zipper the fillet, but it’s no so bad.

Fired it off to a coworker today, so we’ll see if I got all the bones out today.

Went walleye pulling with the softest rod possible. My little light 5.0’ is laughable when getting these 20”ers

The coworker complimented my fillet skills, commenting how thick and even the pieces were :blush:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just ate the chain pickrel, it was delicious. BF rolled it in spices and shallow fried it, we had it with dal and roti. A good firm fleshed fish!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Hoping to hit the surf on Sunday. The pompano are making their run North and are in the area. The only question mark is if these squalls moving through today will affect the water clarity. We'll see!

Sold all of the extra orvis fly gear last weekend in one swoop. Kept the bamboo, a reel and the little spinner rod and reel. :feelsgood:

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.

Sockington posted:

I cleaned my first pike the other week and it was a cakewalk once you do it the 5 fillet method. It’s no walleye easy cut and zipper the fillet, but it’s no so bad.

Fired it off to a coworker today, so we’ll see if I got all the bones out today.

Went walleye pulling with the softest rod possible. My little light 5.0’ is laughable when getting these 20”ers

The coworker complimented my fillet skills, commenting how thick and even the pieces were :blush:

Nice walters!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Near bust fishing this morning. Came home with two smallish whiting. Caught a few blues, catfish and sharks. Not even worth a photo. It's weird. The beach was packed with fishermen, the conditions were absolutely perfect, clarity, water temp, tides, etc. The fish were just not there for some reason. Nobody hitting anything.

Great time with the family though and a beautiful sunrise.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Not what I expected for the year's first senko fish, but whatevs. He was hiding in some sparse vegetation maybe 14 inches from shore. He actually hit an earlier senko and managed to break the line instantly. Jerk.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Fresh water fish look so much easier to catch. With salt water so much is tide dependent etc it’s drat tricky.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've been skunked more times freshwater fishing than I ever was saltwater fishing. Granted, while in freshwater I tend to use artificial lures and while in salt I mostly used cut bait or live bait which most likely accounts for some of that difference. But both fresh and salt water have their own unique challenges that can make catching something difficult. But thats the fun in this sport. Or at least I think so.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Took my daughter fishing on the local pier today and got skunked. Like too much loving wind to be fun. Boo

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
In the kayak in salt water I almost always get something, even if it’s just a squid or whatever.

Freshwater I seem to get donuts every second trip.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I've been skunked every time I've gone fishing for months now. Salt or fresh, doesn't seem to matter.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

had about 20-30min to kill today so I stopped at a retention pond behind the Dairy Queen. This fat bastard hit the first cast.

3 other bass smaller than him, a bowfin about a foot and a half long, and 2 missed strikes in 20 drat minutes.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Nice! I drove across Michigan last weekend and seen so many of those little ponds along the highway. It was kind of different to me than Southwestern Ontario.

I broke my casting Fenwick a few weeks ago on a freezing morning, so brought an old spincaster rod and strapped my Kayak rod’s SilverMax reel to it.

Went drifting in my half century old steel boat.

Finally got my first haul of walleyes in the boat!

Some good eating 21”ers pulled nicely on that old cheap rod.

Delivered more meat at work than Ron Jeremy in the 90s

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

had about 20-30min to kill today so I stopped at a retention pond behind the Dairy Queen. This fat bastard hit the first cast.

3 other bass smaller than him, a bowfin about a foot and a half long, and 2 missed strikes in 20 drat minutes.

God drat first cast grabs are so invigorating.

Feeding frenzy snatches in that amount of time are even more exciting.

gently caress I need to make an attempt and go out

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Anyone carry around a pole or telescoping staff to help retrieve flies/lures? I've been thinking about picking up a larger telescoping hiking pole for wading and beating out flies from branches when I am in more cramped quarters, with overhead growth.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

first bluefish of the year, first weird racism from a fellow fisherman. What the gently caress.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

first bluefish of the year, first weird racism from a fellow fisherman. What the gently caress.

Uh-oh. What happened?

Got two seats on a local party boat booked for tomorrow. Gonna try and load up on snapper and jacks. Hopefully a trigger fish in the mix.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

King of Bees posted:

Uh-oh. What happened?

mixed-race obnoxious 10 year old kid runs out onto the pier being hyperactive, irritating, and completely disregarding of personal space (all while pointing at any unused rod saying "MAN I'D LIKE TO THROW THAT OUT THERE." hoping we'd offer). When his (white) mom yells for him and he runs off, the other dude says "that his mammy? hard to tell anymore know what I mean?"

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Ugh.

At the boat now. Will post on return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Did pretty good! Got some beeliners (Vermillion snapper) and trigger fish. Couple of folks caught some big sharks, one big grouper, some red snaps (to throw back) and a lot of little fuckers.