Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
hope she didn’t just gently caress up the dragon glass by doing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
God drat

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

DUDE WHAT THE poo poo

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
I loving love Arya

Edit oh god Jon you hosed up so bad

Sarah fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 29, 2019

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

THE CRYPTS VERY CLEARLY WERE NOT SAFE

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Deanarys ex machina

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

GOD DAMNIT YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

loving Arya!!!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Fuuuuuuuck

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
WHAT IS HYPE MAY NEVER DIE

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
gently caress that was so much better than I thought it would be.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

There is no reasonable way I was getting out of that episode any better than that. I imagine Lyanna is gonna skyrocket up some baby names list.

e: I mean seriously, are you kidding me?? That and Avengers in the same weekend?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The flames of the Dothraki being snuffed out one by one was an incredible narrative choice to set up the episode.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I’m going in send thoughts and prayers

Per FB reacts it sounds juicy

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
That was definitely a game of throne.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

Barry is an excellent pallate cleanser

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Lmao the Dothraki were amazingly useless

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

That's because uhhh, that's not how you use light cavalry.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

beanieson posted:

Lmao the Dothraki were amazingly useless

They did basically get overtaken by a literal tidal wave of weights.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

OK who dies

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jorah
Lyanna
Theon
Edd
Baric Dondarrion(?)
Melisandre

The dragons survive; Ghost does too—they’re in the ep 4 trailer.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Not enough

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THAtIeeNZsc

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ded posted:

Not enough

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Where the gently caress did Arya even come from loving lol these writers suck

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

SquirrelyPSU posted:

THE CRYPTS VERY CLEARLY WERE NOT SAFE

HAHAAAAA, CALLED THAT poo poo :lol:

(still, no one of import died, so welp my prediction)

Flikken posted:

That's because uhhh, that's not how you use light cavalry.

I laughed my rear end off at that. The episode kicked off absolutely amazingly, the music was so loving harrowing in the beginning, and then Melisandre lighting up all of their Dothraki Bathleths or whatever.
And then they ride off into the loving pitch-black and my immediate reaction was "UUUUUUHHHHHHH..." :stare:

And then I legit laughed my rear end off

holocaust bloopers posted:

Jorah
Lyanna
Theon
Edd
Baric Dondarrion(?)
Melisandre

The dragons survive; Ghost does too—they’re in the ep 4 trailer.

The trailer also had what looked like a dragon with properly-emmentalered wings, so I'm assuming that's not somehow Viserion, but one of the other two with massive battle damage?

But hoooly gently caress, what an episode. I guess we could have seen the ending coming, what with the dagger meant to kill Bran ending up saving him. But the second Melisandre told Arya she was meant to close blue eyes (again), I went "OH poo poo, HELL YES"

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Imagine how well they would have done if they put the soldiers behind the fortifications instead of in front of them.

Edit: I enjoyed the episode immensely.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Pretty sure Gilly got smoked too? Haven't finished watching the episode yet though

Edit: also nobody seems to mention literally all of the Dothraki got killed immediately.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 29, 2019

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

Where the gently caress did Arya even come from loving lol these writers suck

Yes they do. Holy poo poo that was a bad episode.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I don't think Gilly got smoked. I think she was one of the survivors of Zombie Stark Massacre.

Which houses are completely gone now? House Umber, House Mormont, and I think House Karstark. At least I think that was Lady Karstark that went with Theon at the start of the episode. Not that she's done anything of note.

It's a bit disappointing that all of the Dothraki are just gone now, but man, that visual of the flaming charge only for the lights to flicker out one by one. That was absolutely incredible, even if the tactics behind it were absolutely terrible.

I thought it was a great looking episode (albeit, dark), and I cheered when Arya came out to gut the NK. I'm just curious if that was Dave and D.B. or if that was GRRM's idea.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

piL posted:

Imagine how well they would have done if they put the soldiers behind the fortifications instead of in front of them.

Edit: I enjoyed the episode immensely.

Considering the dead were up and over the walls about 90 seconds after they got up to them, it would've gone worse. They had two tiers of defense prior to the walls to thin the dead army...of course it's all meaningless since once the Night King's army is wiped out, he can just wave at your fallen soldiers and wake them up to switch teams.

A Bad Poster posted:

Pretty sure Gilly got smoked too? Haven't finished watching the episode yet though

I thought that was her too, but my tv is a piece of poo poo and I'm not sure.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Godholio posted:

I thought that was her too, but my tv is a piece of poo poo and I'm not sure.

I thought she bit it at least three times during the crypt scenes, but she's the rightmost of the survivor group at 1:19:00.

Episode description on HBO Now: "Arya looks to prove her worth as a fighter."
Alright then.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Suntan Boy posted:

I thought she bit it at least three times during the crypt scenes, but she's the rightmost of the survivor group at 1:19:00.

Episode description on HBO Now: "Arya looks to prove her worth as a fighter."
Alright then.

She swung at the king and didn't miss so......mission accomplished?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Who else laughed when Lyanna got swept aside? I mean, I knew she was going to die and I'm happy she went out like no bitch but I loving died. Someone produce a gif please.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo the writers cannot write a battle to save their lives. They are great at writing small skirmishes and individual fights, because the fight choreographers do the brunt of the work there. But they cannot write battles. Battle of the Bastards was terrible, not only because they made Jon a loving moron and Rickon decide to run in a straight line, but they apparently think bodies pile up 10 feet high and suddenly become walls somehow in the heat of a battle. Oh, and they don't give their only giant a club or shield or any armor. Great writing.

The only battles that have actually been good were Blackwater and the battle for the Wall against the Wildlings. They were well written. They had two generals going up against one another who had sound tactics and strategies. They didn't make one character act like a loving idiot and use no sound strategy and tactics, just to save themselves some time and effort in the writers room because they couldn't figure out a good way for X character to do Y and get Z result that they wanted at the end.

Now onto the battle. Okay, so first of all the first set piece action scene was stupid. They way the writers wrote it was capital B Bad. Dothraki charging into poo poo not knowing what was there? Are you loving retarded? Who gave that order? Light cavalry isn't going to do poo poo against the wights. At best, half of the Dothraki should've been manning the walls, and you could keep the other half as a mobile reserve to flank the enemy if and when the wights broke through the walls of Winterfell. It'd at least be fighting the wights on two fronts, instead of an idiotic frontal assault.

Why the gently caress was Ghost with the Dothraki and not with Jon? Rob won every battle he fought with Grey Wind. Also, great job on not having bonfires set up at 100 meter intervals out to the woods to know that when they went out, the bad guys were coming?

Not only was the writing bad, but the cinematography was poor too. I had a blacked out room, and it was still too dark. There were way too many close up shots of the battle during the entire battle, but particularly during the first charge of the wights, and when the wights got over the walls. Then there's the editing. Jesus Christ, enough with the quick cuts and speed ups - did anyone else notice that some shots were sped up to maybe 1.25 or 1.5x speed? Is this 2007? Those loving quick cuts... They were ABSOLUTELY NOT NECESSARY. At all. Learn how to direct and edit you loving hacks. In the first 15 minutes, we could barely make out who was who, we had no loving clue where anyone was relative to the front gates of the castle, and the only establishing shot we ever got was before the battle even began. Why couldn't Bran have given us a literal bird's eye view at several points in the battle? That would've made us more aware of how dire the situation was. Did they just think that not knowing would be scarier, or were they too incompetent to figure out the layout inside Winterfell to do a shot like that? In any competent action scene, you need to know where your characters are, relative to the action. Otherwise, it's all just a giant mess and confusing for the audience. They could've made each character's positions clear in the last episode when they were planning it on the map, maybe making it a few minutes longer. "Okay, Brienne will lead the Umbers, Karstarks, and BleepyBloops to the left of the gate, etc." Speaking of the last episode, why the gently caress did no one question Bran about previous battles that were fought against the Night King? What kind of tactics does he use? Has he ever had wight animals in large numbers? Has he ever had a dragon? How patient is he? Is he just going to wait us out, waiting for us to start to starve, so we're forced to do something even more dumb than our original battle plan? Why didn't they have a plan to have the dragons burn their own dead after they've fallen, to deny the enemy reinforcements? Would've been really easy to do after they fall back behind the castle walls. Jon knows the Night King has this power, and for shock value or easy writing or convenience's sake for the show runners, they made Jon a loving idiot again.

The way the writers write the show, they make Jon Snow an almost incompetent general. He got most of his people killed during the Battle of the Bastards. He's a good leader of small units (like in the Battle for the Wall), and can make great speeches, but his strategy and tactics should have gotten everyone in the show killed during the Battle of Winterfell. Before the battle, have small groups of Knights of the Vale posted all around Winterfell as scouts. Have Bran warg into ravens and other animals as a way of scouting, too. How do you not have scouts? They only knew the dead were past the Last Hearth because Edd and Tormund were able to outpace the dead. It was by sheer blind luck they were even given a warning.

Once you know the dead are coming, have your pre positioned bonfires posted at 100 meter intervals so it's not completely dark. The writers could've done that and it would have been even more suspenseful as each bonfire going out meant that the dead were closer and closer. Additionally, archers could be more effective with those known ranges. Their onagers and trebuchets could've been dialed in to those spots, too. Why have all of the Unsullied in front of the trenches? Why not have two sets of trenches? If that's not possible for time or resource reasons, then put at least some of your Unsullied behind the trenches, ready to form up in a shield wall any time a breach occurs. Have more Unsullied just next to the walls, and maybe 1,000 behind the walls in groups of 150 dispersed around the interior to shore up the inevitable breeches in the wall.

You had at least 8,000 Unsullied, a few hundred Wildlings at most, at least 2,000 knights of the Vale, and hundreds of fighting age men from the other Northern Houses. The walls were pretty sparsely manned, all things considered. Way too many people were outside the walls. After the archers left, there was only one man per gap in the stone in the walls. Not good. Also, what about siege defense weapons? Were there no heavy logs covered in pitch to send down the side of the walls? What about huge tapestries repurposed, covered in pitch, being thrown off the side of the walls, and being lit on fire, denying the wights a way up in at least one area of the wall? What about giant scythes like the one on The Wall?

Also, no one had a contingency plan for defending the inside of the castle? Ten guys with shields and spears could have held a hallway. 50 could've held the great hall. Then there's the crypt. Oh for fucks sake, you couldn't hand out any dragon glass daggers to those people? You couldn't post 20 loving guards inside? 20 guys could have kept those people in the crypts safe, and wouldn't have been missed much outside. And seriously loving LOL at long-dead skin and bones Starks being resurrected and punching out of heavy stone burial chambers like it's loving drywall, give me a loving break. And there was no payoff for that scene in the last episode with Davos and the girl with greyscale on her face like Stannis' daughter - she didn't kill any of the Stark wights, when last episode she said she was a fighter like her brothers.

What's the deal with guarding what was said to be the most important character, Bran, with 20 Iron Born from the Iron Islands? Why aren't they defending him with 50, or 100 guys? What's the deal with Bran warging out nearly the entire episode? What the gently caress was he doing? Where was he? We first see him warg into the ravens, but where were they going? Is there going to be a payoff to that, or is it just going to be another bit of lovely writing that's not going to be explained?

How did Arya jump on the Night King if, not 10 meters behind him, are 12 White Walkers and probably close to 100 wights? How'd she manage that? We know the Weirwood tree isn't really close to any other building in Winterfell. If anything, she should have been in the tree, but that wasn't clearly shown. She literally came out of loving nowhere. Excellent writing.

At the end of the episode, we see all of our main characters, and we see Jaime, Brienne, and Pod in a corner as the only ones left. How convenient. There couldn't be 10-50 other guys with them to make it more believable? In the preview for the next episode, Dany says "We have won the Great War. Now we will win the final war." With what? How the gently caress do you have an army after this? We see Unsullied marching out of the gate of Winterfell. Where were they? Why didn't we see them for a 20 second clip of the episode, holding off a breech in the wall, or something? How many Unsullied, out of probably close to 8,000 (she must have lost a lot during the Harpy insurgency in Mereen), will she have left after the battle? 2,000 being left alive would be being extremely generous. How is Dany going to win against Cersei? Drogon got massively injured, his wings should be Swiss loving cheese at this point. So she's got one extremely injured Dragon, and one okay one. Cool cool. Totally going to go well against 20,000 men from the Golden Company and however many thousand the Lannisters have left, and god forbid they bring more than 1 scorpion this time, then the good guys are really hosed.

We didn't see any of the heads of the other Northern Houses in the entire episode - are any of them still alive? We didn't even see Lord Royce or any Knights of the Vale. If they're alive, how many fighting men could they possibly have left? A couple hundred?

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 29, 2019

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No chain of command in this undead army! Would've been great if one of his lackeys grew horns and became the new night king instead of sitting on horses doing gently caress all

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://i.imgur.com/sAsdyLp.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like how the dothraki were gonna try to fight wights with regular steel swords at first until a magic red lady ran out of the dark to give them a miniscule chance. I guess no one in westeros likes them, not even Dany.