Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
So is the Alien Robocop's worst enemy because it doesn't have a dick he can shoot or the best because it's one big dick metaphor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It's actually not too hard to make a long-running alien campaign. The alien franchise had a long-running plot in the Dark Horse comic series. You just have to do things during the Earth War. As mankind is trapped in space, Earth is lost, and survivors struggle to adapt and people contemplate and strive to get Earth back.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Len posted:

Seeded by the Ancient Alien Yautja on old rear end Earth
Oh they've got Chuck Tingle doing a module for it?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Len posted:

I mean that AvP and AvP:R both take place chronologically before these two movies so unless some eggs fell through a time vortex he didn't
AvP is no longer Official 20th Century Fox Approved Alien Canon, and this will presumably impact what they can and cannot release for the RPG.

Blade Runner and Soldier might be.

e: lol I forgot, in Alien Resurrection they make it official that all the Aliens everywhere are dead and they've never found any other Alien-esque alien stuff anywhere.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 28, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Splicer posted:

AvP is no longer Official 20th Century Fox Approved Alien Canon, and this will presumably impact what they can and cannot release for the RPG.

e: lol I forgot, in Alien Resurrection they make it official that all the Aliens everywhere are dead and they've never found any other Alien-esque alien stuff anywhere.

Link? I can only find random Reddit posts and a blog entry saying it isn't.

Edit: Books A Million is like a time vortex because they have this

Len fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 28, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Didn't John Wick do some work for the neopets tcg?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Splicer posted:

Yeah, but they might recton that. See, Neil Blokampf was working on Aliens 5. It was originally going to have none of the original characters, but then the original actors wanted to be in the movie. So it was rewritten for them. As a result, the film made a controversy because it was stated it would remove the third and fourth film from Canon. Apparently, this has to do with the fact that Sigourney Weaver does not like those movies and thought it was not a good ending for the character and asked to be in the film.

The film was going to be produced. But, due to conflicts with Ridley Scott's Alien Covenant, it was shelved. But then Alien Covenant sucked even more than Prometheus sucked. The idea of doing a third movie in the prequel trilogy was put into limbo due to the absolutely atrocious response of the second film. And then Disney bought Fox, which means a change in office politics.

And then in March, when asked about the shelved Alien V project, James Cameron, who previoulsy read the script and thought it was "gangbusters", said "he's working on that", implying that he was working to get the project revived. Neil would likely be down for it as he was very passionate about the movie and his last talks about the project being canceled showed that he was very sad about it and wish that he could have finished it.

Most fans are pretty interested in seeing it, even if one or two of the bits of concept art are a bit controversial. That said, the piece of artwork showing the Marine controlling two xenomorph with some kind of visor is fan art that was confused for official concept art. Most official concept art is very vague, but fans believe it implies the plot would revolve around Weyland-Yutani successfully obtaining an alien sample and attempting to weaponize it as well as attempting to reverse engineer space jockey tech. The later of which, assuming this speculation of the premise is true, is likely why it was shelved.

Covok
May 27, 2013

To follow up on my previous point, it's very likely that they want to get rid of Alien 3 and Alien 4, regardless. I know that will piss off the something awful fans who absolutely love Alien 3. But, they have made it very clear they plan on remaking Alien 3 using William Gibson's script, which had more potential for a long-running franchise as it keeps Ripley, Newt, Hicks, and Bishop alive.

Why do people think they want to make a movie with that script? Recently, they did a complete adaptation of the script as a comic book. That's not too big on it's own. It's a novelty. But now they announced an audio drama through audible which will include some actors reprising their roles for the Audio Drama. That's the second time they've adapted the William Gibson script for Alien 3 in 2 years.

Feels like they're testing the waters. Seeing how fans respond to the script and seeing if people are interested. And if the response is positive, I feel it's likely they'll actually make a movie of it. If it was just one or the other, I wouldn't think anything of it. But this is the second year in a row they did an adaptation of that script. And the second time feels more ambitious. It definitely feels like they're gearing up and testing the waters.

Of course, if the waters are too cold they'll just back off.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually linked to Alien five. After all, William Gibson's Alien 3 would make Alien 5 posdible.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Len posted:

Link? I can only find random Reddit posts and a blog entry saying it isn't.
I can't find where I saw it, it was a list of everything canon during the run up to alien: covenant or alien: isolation and it was on a splash page of the official website for one or the other. The audioplay was on there too. e: and colonial marines

Covok posted:

Yeah, but they might recton that. See, Neil Blokampf was working on Aliens 5. It was originally going to have none of the original characters, but then the original actors wanted to be in the movie. So it was rewritten for them. As a result, the film made a controversy because it was stated it would remove the third and fourth film from Canon. Apparently, this has to do with the fact that Sigourney Weaver does not like those movies and thought it was not a good ending for the character and asked to be in the film.

The film was going to be produced. But, due to conflicts with Ridley Scott's Alien Covenant, it was shelved. But then Alien Covenant sucked even more than Prometheus sucked. The idea of doing a third movie in the prequel trilogy was put into limbo due to the absolutely atrocious response of the second film. And then Disney bought Fox, which means a change in office politics.

And then in March, when asked about the shelved Alien V project, James Cameron, who previoulsy read the script and thought it was "gangbusters", said "he's working on that", implying that he was working to get the project revived. Neil would likely be down for it as he was very passionate about the movie and his last talks about the project being canceled showed that he was very sad about it and wish that he could have finished it.

Most fans are pretty interested in seeing it, even if one or two of the bits of concept art are a bit controversial. That said, the piece of artwork showing the Marine controlling two xenomorph with some kind of visor is fan art that was confused for official concept art. Most official concept art is very vague, but fans believe it implies the plot would revolve around Weyland-Yutani successfully obtaining an alien sample and attempting to weaponize it as well as attempting to reverse engineer space jockey tech. The later of which, assuming this speculation of the premise is true, is likely why it was shelved.
Oh neat! And I have no problem with "tame" aliens assuming it all goes to hell because scare quotes.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 28, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

moths posted:

Alien is a bad fit for an RPG because its defining feature is a single monster. Eventually the xenomorph's ecology and origins were filled in by supplemental films, but they genedally act predictably and do the same thing. They're giant wasps.

Run it in slasher flick. That's almost exactly what it's for: a single dangerous bad guy who hunts down people who can only barely defend themselves

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
canon is a fake idea

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

canon is a fake idea
Oh what a relief. I somehow had the crazy idea that the opinions of the people who control the licence could potentially impact future works, including the RPG currently under development and discussion. Thank you for galaxy braining that away.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Oh what a relief. I somehow had the crazy idea that the opinions of the people who control the licence could potentially impact future works, including the RPG currently under development and discussion. Thank you for galaxy braining that away.

Not really what I was talking about in the first place, chief.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not really what I was talking about in the first place, chief.
Really? Because it's what everyone else is talking about, friend. So contextually it would be assumed that that your no caps no quote hot take would be somehow related to the ongoing conversation, comrade.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Really? Because it's what everyone else is talking about, friend. So contextually it would be assumed that that your no caps no quote hot take would be somehow related to the ongoing conversation, comrade.

It is related to the ongoing conversation, it just isn't related to what you, personally, said. I was not trying to reassure you that franchise owners wouldn't make dumb decisions based on a ridiculous concept largely associated with fandom and franchises. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It is related to the ongoing conversation, it just isn't related to what you, personally, said. I was not trying to reassure you that franchise owners wouldn't make dumb decisions based on a ridiculous concept largely associated with fandom and franchises. Quite the opposite, in fact.
Give me even one post from the past two pages that "canon is a fake idea" is actually relevant to.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Give me even one post from the past two pages that "canon is a fake idea" is actually relevant to.

Covok's.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Strong disagree, as they're specifically discussing how what is "canon" will be changed and how it will affect future releases. But I'll put that down to a matter of opinion.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Strong disagree.

It shouldn't be hard to see the connection between "fear of changing canon led to this movie being shelved or delayed" and "canon is dumb and shouldn't be respected," but here we are.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Canon is for selling toys not telling stories

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It shouldn't be hard to see the connection between "fear of changing canon led to this movie being shelved or delayed" and "canon is dumb and shouldn't be respected," but here we are.
Read my ninja edit :argh:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Ultimately it comes down to how much freedom they have with the license. The thing is the basic Alien scenarios boil down to either trying to survive and escape (i.e. all of the movies) or kicking their asses (generally the tack of most Alien videogames) or some combination thereof. The former feels authentic, but how do you make sneaking interesting? The latter... well, it's D&D with four or so monsters. Of course, you can mix in some basic horror scenarios by inserting crazy and or stupid humans or AIs to mix things up, but that's most of it. The more you can pull from, the better off you'll be, but it's unlikely you'll have access to much of the Alien apocrypha. And, of course, there's the struggle with making the familiar scary again.

There are definitely other takes you can do but it'd be hard to convince me you wouldn't be better by doing your own thing at that point.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There are definitely other takes you can do but it'd be hard to convince me you wouldn't be better by doing your own thing at that point.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think they'd be better off going the Night's Black Agents route and making most of the book a 'build your own alien' guide. You know going in you're going to be facing some sort of terrible superpredator -- but exactly what is always a mystery.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Len posted:

I mean that AvP and AvP:R both take place chronologically before these two movies so unless some eggs fell through a time vortex he didn't

AvP vs Prometheus. Whoever wins, we lose.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think they'd be better off going the Night's Black Agents route and making most of the book a 'build your own alien' guide. You know going in you're going to be facing some sort of terrible superpredator -- but exactly what is always a mystery.
I'd be extremely down for this. Especially if it was a mix of crunchy and narrative abilities/cues.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 28, 2019

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

moths posted:

Alien is a bad fit for an RPG because its defining feature is a single monster. Eventually the xenomorph's ecology and origins were filled in by supplemental films, but they genedally act predictably and do the same thing. They're giant wasps.

This is what Prometheus and Covenant “fixed”, since they show that the specific giant wasp we know and love is just one particular possible result of raw progenerative essence being allowed to Go Too Far, especially when exposed to human beings.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Splicer posted:

Wait, I'm sorry, what?

The movie where Kurt Russell speaks, like, 20 words total?

That's possibly part of the Alien universe?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That Old Tree posted:

Wait, I'm sorry, what?

I think Weyland-Yutani shows up

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Yeah Soldier is full of name-dropped references to other films and Blade Runner's replicants, the Alien franchise's synthetics, and the genetically engineered soldiers who replaced Kurt Russell's character can be linked as sort of advancements in the same line of tech.

It doesn't really hold up as anything but the creators being clever but fans latch on to it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

That Old Tree posted:

Wait, I'm sorry, what?

Kurt Russell should be a canon part of every universe. :colbert:

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yawgmoth posted:

Kurt Russell should be a canon part of every universe. :colbert:

loving truest poo poo I've ever read.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'm honestly surprised that Hollywood has enough restraint for not linking the Thing with the AvP universe by saying that The Thing was a byproduct of the Prometheus Black Goo

Covok
May 27, 2013

Plutonis posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Hollywood has enough restraint for not linking the Thing with the AvP universe by saying that The Thing was a byproduct of the Prometheus Black Goo

I saw no less than three YouTube videos about theorizing that the thing from another world is the same thing as the black goo from Prometheus.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

canon is a fake idea

Radical, broseph. Down with system, up with headcanon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Covok posted:

Radical, broseph. Down with system, up with headcanon.

The shared universe franchise's tools will never dismantle the franchise's house. :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lemon-Lime posted:

Eclipse Phase 2e is Eclipse Phase 1e but slightly streamlined and with less action economy shenanigans, so if you were expecting it to suddenly be a PbtA game, that's not going to happen.

It is, however, a less bad system than the first edition.

You know, I want to go back to this because I actually did find a good PBTA hack for Eclipse Phase.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or put another way: Alien 3 or Prometheus aren't actually stopping anyone from making a new Alien movie that goes in a different direction, and also there's nothing a new Alien movie could do to to erase or deny Alien 3 or Prometheus.

The idea that either of those things could happen is a fantasy which, at best, misplaces blame for a problem that exists but isn't the movies' fault, and at worst is just total nonsense.

If nerd culture (let alone the mainstream) is so committed to this idea -- that movies are windows into a shared objective reality, rather than discrete artistic statements by different people in different contexts -- that even the decision to contradict an unpopular entry in the series is impossibly controversial, the problem is not that the unpopular movie exists. The problem is the culture.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I kinda agree with Tuxedo Catfish as far as we're getting a Suicide Squad "reboot" after all of one movie, so the idea that any one depiction of a piece of fiction is any more "real" than another is completely arbitrary. They're willing to throw away the concept of continuity as long as it serves their purposes (and so should we).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
None of that, whichever side you're on, still does anything to answer the questions I have going into an Alien Tabletop RPG that seems to be strictly focused on replicating the Ellen Ripley Experience in terms of "what do you do in a long-running campaign?" I'm sure they've put some measure of thought into it considering they explicitly mention the game is set up for both one-shots and campaigns, but I have to admit it's not a setting that particularly makes me go "I can totally see a long-running campaign in this setting, hell yeah."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Obviously, the solution is to play Monsterhearts, only the monsters are aliens this time.

Is the hive queen going to take me to the dance this year?