Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
New page pro tip: you can change how your army fights by hitting the 'Shock Action' button when an army is selected.

Right up there with 'turn off trade capital surplus on the trade screen' with things that should have been in the tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Lotta families to manage. Is there any reason I shouldn't be trying to trim these down to like 3-5 families? Or does it autogen new ones to replace, like in CK2 how you always have a certain number of patrician families per merchant republic?

Well, you want tons of characters so you have plenty with good stats. If you only have 3-5 families it's much less likely that you'll be able to have enough good generals, researchers, etc.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Is there any way to get CBs other than fabricating claims or via special nation-specific events?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Trade good question: When you stack more than one, and it says the capital gives a bonus to the nation, does the item itself need to come from the Capital City? Or is it from any trade good produced in the capital's province?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Taear posted:

I had the land (and it wasn't contested) for 12 years and the war only ended when I finally allowed them to take it back. Then when they did, it just instantly stopped.

The war was led by a regional power who had guaranteed the other guys, but they didn't actually take part at all. Which meant even taking 70% of one country and 100% of the other wasn't enough to get more than like...8 warscore. Maybe even less than 8. Extremely frustrating and something they had issues with in Stellaris too.

I think that perhaps you get too many troops back though, I can lose my whole army and be back at 50k really quickly. Now partly that's the tribes hiring new guys (ugh stop it) but it's still a bit mad.

I have noticed some wonkiness with wars ending when revolts get re-absorbed or other stuff too, as said I once found myself in a war with a Revolt Somethingorother for no apparent reason, I wasn't even at war with their parent country or anything :confused:

There's work to be done here, but the system looks to be more modular and satisfying to use than EU4's (which is already one of the best peace mechanics in any strategy game, in my opinion - CK2 and basically everything else I played tends to be a much more binary affair, "you win and take your prize and only that, or lose and get to pay a fix amount")

Also, wishlist #1 priority: an army template manager like EU4 has. Sadly a "conform to template" for existing armies would probably not work with the cohort loyalty mechanic, since loyal cohorts won't split from their general, but just only having a "make new army with X of unit 1, Y of unit 2, Z of unit 3" would go a long way; with all the different troop types and different compositions you can make, tactics, etc it's a real pity that you have to painstakingly craft armies by either macrobuilding every single unit, or building one and then clicking a bunch of times in the recruit to army screen - repeat for every army you want to make, which at some points will be 5 or more at the same time. And being unable to rearrange armies with loyal cohorts, while a perfectly legitimate and fun gameplay mechanic, means experimenting with compositions risky and annoying...

Sheep posted:

New page pro tip: you can change how your army fights by hitting the 'Shock Action' button when an army is selected.

Right up there with 'turn off trade capital surplus on the trade screen' with things that should have been in the tutorial.

I unlocked the Triple Aciex special tactics, built armies that conformed to that, set it on every army and called it a day (if you hover over your military traditions, it will also suggest you which troops benefit from them the most! It's cool). It's a good tactic and it's bothersome to change tactics often, when you have 20 stacks running around

Zotix posted:

Trade good question: When you stack more than one, and it says the capital gives a bonus to the nation, does the item itself need to come from the Capital City? Or is it from any trade good produced in the capital's province?

It has to be in surplus (so, 2 copies or more) in the capital province. The surplus can come from the capital city itself, from any other city in the capital province, or from an import trade route! Even if you don't have a good in your capital province, just import 2 copies of it and you'll get the surplus bonus to all your nation :) that's why the +capital import routes / +all provinces import routes are almost mandatory to get ASAP

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 29, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TorakFade posted:

I have noticed some wonkiness with wars ending when revolts get re-absorbed or other stuff too, as said I once found myself in a war with a Revolt Somethingorother for no apparent reason, I wasn't even at war with their parent country or anything :confused:

Also, wishlist #1 priority: an army template manager like EU4 has. Sadly a "conform to template" for existing armies would probably not work with the cohort loyalty mechanic, since loyal cohorts won't split from their general, but just only having a "make new army with X of unit 1, Y of unit 2, Z of unit 3" would go a long way; with all the different troop types and different compositions you can make, tactics, etc it's a real pity that you have to painstakingly craft armies by either macrobuilding every single unit, or building one and then clicking a bunch of times in the recruit to army screen - repeat for every army you want to make, which at some points will be 5-10 at the same time. And being unable to rearrange armies with loyal cohorts, while a perfectly legitimate and fun gameplay mechanic, means experimenting with compositions risky and annoying...

I've actually just had that. For me the place I conquered was at war with that rebellion (it wasn't their rebellion, just one that they were at war with) and when I annexed that place I seemed to inherit that war. Why, I don't know, but it still happened.

And seriously do you guys just not play tribes? You never get to build any of your own troops when you are a tribe!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Taear posted:

And seriously do you guys just not play tribes? You never get to build any of your own troops when you are a tribe!

The game has been out 5 days and I've already played 36 hours of it :v: that's second job levels of commitment, and I still haven't completed my first game, guess I'm a slow player :v: (I do plan to do a tribe next, probably going for some achievement)

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
My first attempt at the game was some small Germanic tribe. Things went well until a civil war broke out. I then decided I just wanted to lose the game to see what that looked like, and I could't. One of the clan heads would raise a 1k retinue every chance he could, and the dumb AI would move off of their siege to kill it instead of sending another army or splitting. Eventually all the families ran out of money then this funny thing happened where for some reason every time they would siege down the one fort I had another province near by would become the capital, a fort would magically appear, and then everything around it (including the fort they just took), would autoflip back to me before they would get to it. I let the game run for about 30 years at full speed and nothing ever changed.

Then I decided to try out Egypt. It was fun for a bit, now it's turned into a slog. I have no idea how you are supposed to prioritize citizens/buildings/etc, but it doesn't seem to matter and can just be ignored and you'll be fine. I'm making a dumb amount of money, have like 500k max manpower and gain about 1,300 a month. I have a bunch of disloyal characters, but that doesn't seem to matter and I don't know how to fix it anyways. I have a few disloyal provinces, but the same thing as characters. Every once in a while a character decides to spend their money to raise a "disloyal" army, then they just sit there for 12 months and I assign a new commander to them and boom I got some free troops.

I've had some fun, but at this point I don't see why I wouldn't just play CK2 or EU4.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TorakFade posted:

The game has been out 5 days and I've already played 36 hours of it :v: that's second job levels of commitment, and I still haven't completed my first game, guess I'm a slow player :v: (I do plan to do a tribe next, probably going for some achievement)

I'm just saying that all that army building stuff isn't going to be relevant for a LOT of places in the world at the start.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Green Wing posted:

Is there any way to get CBs other than fabricating claims or via special nation-specific events?

No

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just saw a Steam review saying literally "Really? 300 years only? WTF i've reach the end of the game in less than 35 hours of play..."

People are loving mad.

Does anyone else find some of the colors on the map too close to each other? As Rome I was having 3 or 4 small neighbors all about the same shade of red as me, and I didn't even go to war for years with some of them because I thought it was already my land :v:

Taear posted:

I'm just saying that all that army building stuff isn't going to be relevant for a LOT of places in the world at the start.

OK but hopefully since they DO have it in EU4 it won't be too hard to adapt it to Imperator, too? Tribes won't need it perhaps, but for the other government types it would be a godsend :)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
jfc gently caress the senate. I've got a billion troops and CB's on a million little states around me I could easily gobble up, but whoops the counsel doesn't have 80 popularity lol you're hard capped at like 58 votes so I hope you like tyranny!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sydin posted:

jfc gently caress the senate. I've got a billion troops and CB's on a million little states around me I could easily gobble up, but whoops the counsel doesn't have 80 popularity lol you're hard capped at like 58 votes so I hope you like tyranny!

make friends with some faction leaders and you'll get more votes. It's expensive (either in money, points, popularity, or other currencies and maluses) but very effective! Or, instead of pushing through and getting 5 tyranny per action, just endorse your own faction (or the military, they usually love going to war) once or twice; 5-10 tyranny isn't that much, and you might get the 60+ votes you need for all the declarations of war you can handle :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 29, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sydin posted:

the tyranny barely matters, just attack

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Speaking of befriending, does it matter if a character's personal wealth drops below 0? I got an event that was "bribe this guy to get him to be your friend" for like 300 gold, but its out of the counsel's pocket and he only has about 100 bucks.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Ech.

I'm pretty disappointed, but I'll check back in a month and I guess it'll be good then.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Does anyone else find some of the colors on the map too close to each other? As Rome I was having 3 or 4 small neighbors all about the same shade of red as me, and I didn't even go to war for years with some of them because I thought it was already my land :v:

I'm more noticing places with the same name. I've twice accidentally declared war on a place when I thought it was a single nation but it's two with the same name split up for some reason.

For example I have two Parisia - ones in Paris and one is (for some reason) in York.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Green Wing posted:

Ech.

I'm pretty disappointed, but I'll check back in a month and I guess it'll be good then.

Sorry for the double post but I'm on my phone and editing is an arse.

You can fabricate a claim and just invade and annex the whole loving place right off the bat though.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Nobody's cared about double posting in decades man.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I find the city level control of the buildings/pops to be such a frankly BAD design decision. Manually promoting pops already brings back the worst part of Vicky 1, and then they took alook at the state system from Vicky 2 and thought "man, this has too much abstraction, lets have you manually clicking on all 20 cities in a state to manually decide if John Smith in Anatolia gets an education in Latin instead of his native tongue when you control the entire Med"

What a fun and scaleable management system....

I haven't played this game after the day it came out and have basically no desire to open it back up.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Taear posted:

Uh... you can absolutely raise your own armies as a tribe. You can't alter the force composition of your retinues, true, but there's nothing stopping from raising regular forces too.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I’m a bit disappointed that the Achaemenid empire is bithynian and hellenic

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

What affects your range for trade? Diplo range? Also, what is the difference between selecting a good to import and setting up a "trade route" by clicking the round surplus button for a particular good you already have?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

Speaking of befriending, does it matter if a character's personal wealth drops below 0? I got an event that was "bribe this guy to get him to be your friend" for like 300 gold, but its out of the counsel's pocket and he only has about 100 bucks.

Not sure how this event specifically works, but yes, it does matter. Often time that character will be put in a debtor's prison and will be unable to fill any positions until they have paid off their debt in prison. I've had that happen a couple times when I have a governor pay money to a province over some issue.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Walh Hara posted:

Well, you want tons of characters so you have plenty with good stats. If you only have 3-5 families it's much less likely that you'll be able to have enough good generals, researchers, etc.

On a related note I'm amazed I can't sort by various stats on the character screens. Unless I'm just missing it.

Finally had to just google where the drat increase stability button is (top left of the religion screen - sacrifice a pig).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm able to forgive a lot of stuff in this game, but one system I absolutely hate is the tactics system. It's not strategic. It's just rock papers scissors guesswork. And it's very unclear to players how it works, considering the number of people i've seen confused thinking tactics give passive bonuses that don't actually exist. It's pure RPS, and it's garbage. The AI will switch tactics willy nilly and you just have to guess and hope you're right. It's basically RNG, except it's worse than dice rolls because it makes players feel bad about choosing the wrong choice. How is this fun? Why can't tactics just give passive always-on bonuses based on unit compositions and terrain (and possibly against other compositions?), with penalties or restrictions to changing them often? That way it would at least feel rewarding for building armies and using them correctly. Instead we just have to play bullshit guessing games.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 29, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Uh... you can absolutely raise your own armies as a tribe. You can't alter the force composition of your retinues, true, but there's nothing stopping from raising regular forces too.

it's far and away to expensive (+50% maint is uhhh) for most tribals to even begin to consider

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

it's far and away to expensive (+50% maint is uhhh) for most tribals to even begin to consider

What else are you doing with your money? I did an Iceni start and was able to afford a decent sized army and still keep a positive balance.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Kyle Hyde posted:

What affects your range for trade? Diplo range? Also, what is the difference between selecting a good to import and setting up a "trade route" by clicking the round surplus button for a particular good you already have?

Diplomatic range and no difference as far as I can tell. There's like four separate ways to wind up at setting up trade routes for some reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What else are you doing with your money? I did an Iceni start and was able to afford a decent sized army and still keep a positive balance.

Are tribes not able to buy points on the economy screen? That's the general money sink for republics and monarchies at least.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 29, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sheep posted:

Diplomatic range and no difference as far as I can tell. There's like four separate ways to wind up at setting up trade routes for some reason.

Are tribes not able to buy points on the economy screen? That's the general money sink for republics and monarchies at least.

I mean, yes, but I'd rather use that money to build and support armies.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
if you aren't taking advantage of the reset on power points cost with every ruler change you're doing it wrong, especially if you have to make up the shortfall from being stuck with some idiot with a big fat 0 in something

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Converting cash to mana just seems so expensive. Is it recommended to do it all the time or only after a certain point once your income has grown? I've been not doing it all in the early game because I want to invest the money in marketplaces and such instead. Am I doing it wrong?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Sheep posted:

I see, thanks.

Something I was thinking about at work today -- I feel like we need more notifications about stuff happening. Like children getting to a marriageable age, or decisions becoming available. It seems like my notifications are just primarily trade requests, which I would like a way to auto-accept.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Autism Sneaks posted:

if you aren't taking advantage of the reset on power points cost with every ruler change you're doing it wrong, especially if you have to make up the shortfall from being stuck with some idiot with a big fat 0 in something

gently caress, I had no idea this was a thing and abandoned buying mana due to expense :negative:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Ms Adequate posted:

gently caress, I had no idea this was a thing and abandoned buying mana due to expense :negative:

I got the albion achievement using manabuys and uh... temporary friends to help me conquer all of Britain.

My Gripe is really well really....

That I have to put up forts in the north because of the infinite barbarian generator.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Quick question about formables, I'm guessing that since Sparta is a monarchy you cannot form the Pan-Hellenic League? At least decision wise I just have Arkadia and Argead Empire, and I don't really want to move the capital from Sparta to form Arkadia.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Sheep posted:

'Never trade capital surplus' should be the default option tbqh. Surprised its the other way around and annoying to have to toggle it at the start of each game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pleb tip: Dunno how common sense this is but it didn't strike me to do it for my first couple days playing. When aggressive expansion is a concern, before declaring war on someone make claims on their allies too. Or at least, do so on the best provinces. Unlike EU4, Imperator has no concept of co-belligerents/non-co-belligerents. The only thing that affects AE is claims, and claims affect it in a huge way. I dunno what the exact percent is, but you get at least half, maybe even only a quarter of the AE on land you have claims on. This goes for all war participants.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Admittedly number 4 is :effort:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Green Wing posted:

No, but you can wardec without a CB and take the -2 stab and use religious power to get back to where you were. Sometimes better than using precious, precious civic power.