Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Is there a mac book thread somewhere my daughter is asking for one and all I know how to do is buy off lease dells for $300. It seem there are 30 different ones and they all have the same name on best buy. I hate getting old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
On a related note, my dad's getting a new laptop to replace his dying Dell from around 8 years ago, and he wants some recommendations. His technical needs are pretty slim: he'll only use it to access the internet and watch movies (though he'll do it a LOT). He downloads a lot, travels a fair bit, keeps most of his photos and shows on an external HDD. I'm thinking something with an SSD (main problem with the current PC is that it's too slow). I'd prefer to get something with a resolution above 1336x768, but he mostly watches things through the TV, and I don't think you can really get a higher resolution than that for under $1000 (Australia). 15" is fine. Weight isn't too critical, should have at least three USB slots (including one USB3), and at least 128GB in storage. He hasn't told me a budget; I think he might go up to around $1500, but I reckon we can keep it under $1000.

Anyway, I can find plenty of laptops that fit these criteria-- are there any nonobvious things I should be looking out for? Dud brands, etc? His current one's a Dell, but I don't think he has any attachment to the brand.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Krazyface posted:

On a related note, my dad's getting a new laptop to replace his dying Dell from around 8 years ago, and he wants some recommendations. His technical needs are pretty slim: he'll only use it to access the internet and watch movies (though he'll do it a LOT). He downloads a lot, travels a fair bit, keeps most of his photos and shows on an external HDD. I'm thinking something with an SSD (main problem with the current PC is that it's too slow). I'd prefer to get something with a resolution above 1336x768, but he mostly watches things through the TV, and I don't think you can really get a higher resolution than that for under $1000 (Australia). 15" is fine. Weight isn't too critical, should have at least three USB slots (including one USB3), and at least 128GB in storage. He hasn't told me a budget; I think he might go up to around $1500, but I reckon we can keep it under $1000.

Anyway, I can find plenty of laptops that fit these criteria-- are there any nonobvious things I should be looking out for? Dud brands, etc? His current one's a Dell, but I don't think he has any attachment to the brand.

If the only problem with his current laptop is that it's too slow, a simple SSD upgrade might be enough to fix it on the cheap. You can get a 2.5" SATA SSD that slots into the HDD bay no problem, the only hard part would be cloning the current drive over (or reinstalling Windows and any necessary programs otherwise).

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
What am I missing because the new Asus 1660Ti laptops seems like incredible value:
link

quote:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Graphics
Quad-core AMD Ryzen 7 R7-3750H Processor
15.6” FHD (1920x1080) 120Hz IPS-Type display
256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD | 16GB DDR4 RAM | Windows 10 Home
Gigabit Wave 2 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
Portable design with 1.02” thin profile
Durable MIL-STD-810 military standard construction
Dual fans with anti-dust technology
Backlit keyboard rated for 20-million keystroke durability

For $1100? That sounds like a $1600 laptop.

So tempted to impulse buy it but I really don't need a gaming laptop right now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Seems pretty normal. The GTX 1660 Ti is a much better value and bang for buck than the RTX series. The RTX alone bumps the price up another 200-300 bucks. There's a lot more laptops with the 1660 coming out at low prices.

e: oh it looks like it has an AMD processor too. I guess that explains the low price.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 28, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Alpha Mayo posted:

What am I missing because the new Asus 1660Ti laptops seems like incredible value:
link

Dave2D mentioned it (or a similar one) in this video, he has a review coming up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdUKug8XahU

eames fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 28, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Elephanthead posted:

Is there a mac book thread somewhere my daughter is asking for one and all I know how to do is buy off lease dells for $300. It seem there are 30 different ones and they all have the same name on best buy. I hate getting old.

Get a used 2015 13" retina macbook pro in as good condition as you can find.

Everything past that point has a keyboard that's pretty much guaranteed to fail within a year or two. If you absolutely must buy a new apple computer, use the refurb section of their online store and buy the extended warranty (but really just don't until they can unfuck the keyboards)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Alpha Mayo posted:

link

Not a whole lot, really. It's a 1" thick, plastic chassis, 5lbs laptop with a 48Wh battery on AMD--poo poo's gonna be solidly cheaper than stuff like the Aero/XPS/Blade/Zephyr that utilize higher-end materials to bring thickness and weight down. Compared to your $1600+ laptops, it'll also likely have kinda poo poo battery life and a lot more flex in the keyboard, screen, etc.

I haven't seen any actual reviews of how the R7-3750H is going to compare in actual performance against Intel, but just based on the specs (4C/8T, 2.3-4Ghz, 8MB), it looks like it'd be trying to compete with something like the i5-9400H (6C/12T, 2.9-4.1Ghz, 9MB), but is still gonna be two cores short. The i7-9750H should be comfortably faster.

It also looks like a lot of manufacturers are getting on the 120+Hz IPS display bandwagon this generation, which is much appreciated and also knocks the expected price down a little compared to earlier generations.

Honestly, I think it'd roughly comparable to something like the Acer Helios 300, which is a 8750H/1060/16GB/256SSD for <$1000, though the Helios is a bit chunkier than the ASUS you linked. xx60(ti) laptops under $1200 have been available for a bit, if you weren't hell bent on them also being super thin and light.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 28, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind the Zephyrus G is also going to be a plastic design, that's also where they are saving money. Still a lot of specs for the price.

Edit: Looks like that's not the one you were talking about even though the specs are similar. The Zephyrus G is the one Dave 2d is going to be reviewing, not that TUF one.

The G is almost like the M and S, just plastic design and the AMD / 1660 ti combo.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 28, 2019

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
So, trying to be former Mac user and trackpad snob here. The only ones out of many I’ve tried and liked have been the surface book and the surface laptop. I don’t have stringent needs.

The 7th Gen SB2 and the SL2 (current 8th gen) seems to both be similarly priced on sale, around $1100 for the 8/256 model. I don’t anticipate using the tablet aspect of the Book. Not really interested in the higher storage models given the price gouging.

I like the ability to use SD card as storage to supplement the Book, but it seems like based on some benchmarks, the Laptop would have the better performance. Is this likely to be noticeable? I am aware of the port limitations and I don’t have a need for a non TB USB C port right now and the single A should be fine.

I have debated a thin and light gaming laptop but if I go this route - for basic use how noticeable would the performance be between these two?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Get a used 2015 13" retina macbook pro in as good condition as you can find.

Everything past that point has a keyboard that's pretty much guaranteed to fail within a year or two. If you absolutely must buy a new apple computer, use the refurb section of their online store and buy the extended warranty (but really just don't until they can unfuck the keyboards)

I read about this and there seems to be a membrane now to keep dirt out. Does anyone know if that actually works my kid will filth the thing up pretty good.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Elephanthead posted:

I read about this and there seems to be a membrane now to keep dirt out. Does anyone know if that actually works my kid will filth the thing up pretty good.

It definitely does not. Thing still doesn’t hold up against meticulous internet nerds much less kids.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Elephanthead posted:

It's a desperate stopgap while they fix their poo poo. The keyboard is poo poo right now and the worst mistake in Mac history.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Elephanthead posted:

yeah no that membrane was ostensibly to make it quieter, then they re-branded it as a "dirt invasion barrier" or whatever after they realized that 30% of all their machines were coming back with dead keyboards.

It'll take a complete redesign to fix the problem, it's honestly gonna be a few years before apple laptops work again.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is there any way to use three finger drag on Windows like you can on Mac OS X? It's a small thing, but one of my favorite things about using Mac laptops vs Windows ones.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

It's a desperate stopgap while they fix their poo poo. The keyboard is poo poo right now and the worst mistake in Mac history.

This

I don't know anyone with a new-ish mac that doesn't have hosed keyboard at this point

Apple just authorized keyboard repairs at the local mac stores directly because shipping them around was taking too long and too expensive

It's really loving bad

I really loving like Macbook/Pro hardware but it's a goddamn loving awful keyboard from a reliability standpoint. The kind of failures most people see on their $1700 laptop, are something you would expect from a $10 keyboard from walmart after a decade of hard use.

Every Apple laptop is just a ticking time bomb at this point

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hahahahaha

Wonder what this round of Apple's warranty fuckery will be.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hadlock posted:

This

I don't know anyone with a new-ish mac that doesn't have hosed keyboard at this point

Apple just authorized keyboard repairs at the local mac stores directly because shipping them around was taking too long and too expensive

It's really loving bad

I really loving like Macbook/Pro hardware but it's a goddamn loving awful keyboard from a reliability standpoint. The kind of failures most people see on their $1700 laptop, are something you would expect from a $10 keyboard from walmart after a decade of hard use.

Every Apple laptop is just a ticking time bomb at this point

"On the bright side", laptop magazine rated Apple as having the #1 tech support

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/tech-support-showdown

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Yeah, because you're gonna need it.

I loved Apple laptops for many years, but their most recent offerings have been lacking. I have to support them at work, and it sucks.

They're not complete garbage, but for the price you would expect better quality than what they've been putting out.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I wish they would just bring back the '15 mbp retina with smaller bezels and a spec bump. Even if it's just like "hey here's a computer we know works, buy this until we can come up with a design that doesn't fail within a month"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I think my ideal laptop would be a modernized version of the first "unibody" Macbook Pro, the late '08/early '09 version. Durable, sturdy, and relatively compact yet still functional and easy to work on.

They could take that design, upgrade the CPU, GPU, display, and ports to modern standards, replace the optical drive with more battery, switch the HDD for a M.2 slot or two, and be pretty much perfect.

My last Macbook Pro was the one just before the unibody, the Early '08 version that was still effectively an evolution of the Powerbook G4. That machine is 11 years old now and is in better condition than my current Asus was at three years old (and that Asus realy feels like poo poo now).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

When I was looking at what kind of machine to replace gf's aging MBP with I briefly glanced at the XPS 15s on dell refurb site. god drat they have some good prices on xps 15s there lol.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The 1 minute of hate against Apple products especially the dumb butterfly keyboard decision.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Statutory Ape posted:

When I was looking at what kind of machine to replace gf's aging MBP with I briefly glanced at the XPS 15s on dell refurb site. god drat they have some good prices on xps 15s there lol.

The new XPS 15 refresh should have the Nvidia 1650 which is a pretty capable gaming card. At the least it's a noticeable difference from the 1050. I would definitely wait for that.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 29, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Mu Zeta posted:

The new XPS 15 refresh should have the Nvidia 1650 which is a pretty capable gaming card. At the least it's a noticeable difference from the 1050. I would definitely wait for that.

I'll be waiting for it in the sense that I'm curious how much further it'll tank the current gen prices

I'm more likely going to get a (chromebook) asus c434 with an office 365 subscription for this particular use case. I have to make sure she doesn't use some sort of program that works in mac but not ChromeOS first. Probably not since the thing is exclusively used for law school

As for myself, I'd be very interested in an XPS 15 with a 1650ti should they do one, depending on how close to GTX 1060 6gb speeds it would be

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

wolrah posted:

I think my ideal laptop would be a modernized version of the first "unibody" Macbook Pro, the late '08/early '09 version. Durable, sturdy, and relatively compact yet still functional and easy to work on.

I think that would get a lot of love from consumers. It will get zero love from the Apple "industrial designers" though, because it's not thin enough. A good chunk of Apple's reluctance to actually put high-performing hardware into their laptops, as well as the current keyboard fiasco, are sacrifices to the alter of making the laptops as thin as possible.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

wolrah posted:

They could take that design, upgrade the CPU, GPU, display, and ports to modern standards, replace the optical drive with more battery, switch the HDD for a M.2 slot or two, and be pretty much perfect.

My last Macbook Pro was the one just before the unibody, the Early '08 version that was still effectively an evolution of the Powerbook G4. That machine is 11 years old now and is in better condition than my current Asus was at three years old (and that Asus realy feels like poo poo now).

I had the first Intel apple laptop. It was awesome being able to just unscrew the bottom case to upgrade the ram and hard drive. Of course Apple were bitches about third party SSDs so you had to use some command line stuff in Terminal to enable TRIM, but it was an easy fix.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

As for myself, I'd be very interested in an XPS 15 with a 1650ti should they do one, depending on how close to GTX 1060 6gb speeds it would be

They will, but not until the inevitable refresh in a year or so (and I'm disappointed about that, too). They are prepping a XPS 17, apparently, for release sometime in the summer of 2020, which should have a 1660/1660Ti in it, with a refreshed XPS 15 road mapped for Q1 CY 2020, with presumably the 1650Ti.

The 1650 is supposed to be a 50W part, while the 1660Ti is a ~80W part, and the 1660 is nowhere to be found for the moment. My guess is that the 1660Ti was identified as being too hot and too expensive for what they wanted to do with the XPS 15, and it also provides some built in market segmentation for the XPS 17.

The upside is that--actual reviews pending--the 1650 should get close to the 1060 6GB in performance. The 1060 was roughly 2x the speed of the 1050, and NVidia is claiming the 1650 is 1.7x the speed of the 1050, so while it won't quite catch it, it'll be a solid step up from the 1050Ti (1.25x the 1050) and should be good enough for the 1080p@60Hz that the XPS will normally be forcing you into (either native or upscaled for the 4k screen option).

Either way it should push prices on 9560/70 parts down. Which reminds me that I should probably get mine up on eBay while I still can.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I went from a 750m in a 9530 to a 1050 in the 9560 and it blew my freckin mind how things were actually able to run at 1080p. I think that was a genuine 3x boost.

Keyboard in the 9530 was far better though and I would totally want to see that back in a 17 inch model.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mu Zeta posted:

I had the first Intel apple laptop. It was awesome being able to just unscrew the bottom case to upgrade the ram and hard drive. Of course Apple were bitches about third party SSDs so you had to use some command line stuff in Terminal to enable TRIM, but it was an easy fix.

Those things ran so hot you just have burn marks on your lap

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Right. That's when Apple insisted they were notebooks rather than laptops so people don't singe their balls.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I’m looking for a laptop recommendation.

Usage:
- indie gamedev (2d/ low poly 3d)
- emphasis on programming, so looking at text a lot, typing a lot
- compilation speed is important
- will be used while I’m on the couch, close to a outlet
- is not my primary development machine
- does not need to be portable beyond my lap

Budget is flexible and I wouldn’t mind seeing low/mid/high tier options without going insane on prices.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

xgalaxy posted:

I’m looking for a laptop recommendation.

Usage:
- indie gamedev (2d/ low poly 3d)
- emphasis on programming, so looking at text a lot, typing a lot
- compilation speed is important
- will be used while I’m on the couch, close to a outlet
- is not my primary development machine
- does not need to be portable beyond my lap

Budget is flexible and I wouldn’t mind seeing low/mid/high tier options without going insane on prices.

The XPS 13 is my favorite actual "lap" top for farting around the house, has decent compile speeds, and excellent battery times (1080p model). I'd get an older model that still has USB A, but that's just me. They also handle Linux rather nicely if you decide to go that route for development.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Would be interesting to see if Dell attempts to re-do the thermal design.

To me it's the most annoying aspect of the XPS 15

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Was there a sale on Dell's yet?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just put in a pre-order for a Quest, which is going to 8-6 my VR needs, gonna put my 1050 gpu XPS 15 up on SA Mart here tonight

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Not if I put mine up first!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

etalian posted:

Would be interesting to see if Dell attempts to re-do the thermal design.

To me it's the most annoying aspect of the XPS 15

I would like to see that too but if they ever dick with the form factor, then we're going to have PROBLEMS. It wasn't until the 9550 of ~3.5 years ago that we had a stable chassis spec. EVERY SINGLE new XPS 15 release before then had a brand new design with bad results every time. Sure, Dell has had to play "catch-up" to Apple for that pro-level 15 inch design quite feverishly in the past but they have something stable, competitive and largely reliable right now (lol @ them butterfly keyboards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I like my XPS15 9550 mostly. But it has enough annoying quirks that it doesn't feel like a polished device.

First, there was the screen flickering issue that they eventually resolved.

The Thunderbolt Port/USB-C port was unusable if you had the wifi transmit at the default 100% as it interfered with the controller and caused disconnects

Right now, my issue is I can't have speedstep enabled and use USB-C as a power source or the computer will drop down to like 200mhz for 20 seconds or so under load.

These days I mostly use my Pixelbook as my lap based computing device and I should really just get rid of the 9550.

I'm eyeing up the new Zephyrus models as a potential gaming PC replacement though.