Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I think it's weird that Bury is the only keyword that WoTC walked back, since it's just "destroy, target can't be regenerated".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Time posted:

somebody took the time to compile 2000 games of replay data from decks with more than 1 trophy on mtgo this month and the match win% lined up pretty well with what happened at the PT. I would be surprised if the mulligan wasn't slam dunk adopted based on this data. before the event I was wondering how much open decklists would skew the numbers and whether people who were just genuinely bad also caused errors, but it seems like it wasn't a factor

This doesn't change the fact that so many decks were maindecking what are supposed to be sideboard cards in order to fight the meta. Having maindeck Surgicals, RiPs, Relics, Acid-Moss, and the like to fight boogeymen.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Silhouette posted:

I think it's weird that Bury is the only keyword that WoTC walked back, since it's just "destroy, target can't be regenerated".

Because its really only purpose is to counter regenerate and its a bad mechanic they never want to use again. They really should just errata regenerate to indestructible but they are cowards.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

GoutPatrol posted:

This doesn't change the fact that so many decks were maindecking what are supposed to be sideboard cards in order to fight the meta. Having maindeck Surgicals, RiPs, Relics, Acid-Moss, and the like to fight boogeymen.

Relic has been a maindeck Tron staple since way before Phoenix or chill dredge mostly because it’s a cheap cantrip, surgical is a free spell for thing and Phoenix, and people running rip main lost to other fair decks by playing bad cards main. Seems fine to me

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I want “spells” to be replaced by a different word because it’s weird that creatures are spells, but I’m not sure a resonant word for “all cards” exists. In a weird way “summon” made this more intuitive; you can understand the creature card is also a spell instantly.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Next Arena Mythic Championship is BO3

https://twitter.com/HipstersMTG/status/1122457283936628736?s=19

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Eej posted:

Next Arena Mythic Championship is BO3

The number of remaining MPL members?

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Shadow225 posted:

Evolution Sage?

Good idea and thanks pulled the Pollenbright for Evolution Sage.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Having fun with this Bolas control deck. Some of the numbers are funny because of availability, I've not taken it to ladder yet.

3 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God (WAR) 207
1 Mountain (RIX) 195
5 Swamp (RIX) 194
1 Island (RIX) 193
2 Ionize (GRN) 179
2 Sinister Sabotage (GRN) 54
3 Bleeding Edge (WAR) 78
4 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
4 Augur of Bolas (WAR) 41
1 Deliver Unto Evil (WAR) 85
3 Bedevil (RNA) 157
2 Carnival // Carnage (RNA) 222
2 Ral, Storm Conduit (WAR) 211
2 Negate (RIX) 44
3 Drowned Catacomb (XLN) 253
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
2 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
2 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
2 Sulfur Falls (DAR) 247
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
2 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84

What was the site/tool people were using for those snazzy deck import images?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Because its really only purpose is to counter regenerate and its a bad mechanic they never want to use again. They really should just errata regenerate to indestructible but they are cowards.

Tell me, then, what happens when you Snuff Out a Mossbridge Troll?

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Sickening posted:

I strongly disagree because you can still do lethal to a creature via spells. And then force them to regenerate the creature. Which would then tap it out making it unavailable as a blocker. If you made it invulnerable then that would make that play line not available as an option. Then you would be forced to use spells that exile or give -x/-x counters or until end of turn.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

I strongly disagree because you can still do lethal to a creature via spells. And then force them to regenerate the creature. Which would then tap it out making it unavailable as a blocker. If you made it invulnerable then that would make that play line not available as an option. Then you would be forced to use spells that exile or give -x/-x counters or until end of turn.

I was hoping the sarcasm would be obvious as president if the thrun fan club.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Counterpoint: President of the Thrun fan club would want him to survive Wrath of God.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Tell me, then, what happens when you Snuff Out a Mossbridge Troll?

IIRC, cants over ride cans so it is destroyed? might be wrong though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tulul posted:

According to Maro:

Wow, he forgot about Continuous Artifacts, what a scrub

E: Oh, he specifies activated abilities, I should read

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Wasn't the deal with Continuous Artifacts that tapping them turned them off?

Lol early magic thought Kird apes and juggernaut were too good but let you slot icy/orb into whatever shell and turn off your opponents.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Owlbear Camus posted:

Wasn't the deal with Continuous Artifacts that tapping them turned them off?

Lol early magic thought Kird apes and juggernaut were too good but let you slot icy/orb into whatever shell and turn off your opponents.

Not all of them, howling mine and winter orb get turned off by tapping, but ankh of Mishra doesn't.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cactrot posted:

Not all of them, howling mine and winter orb get turned off by tapping, but ankh of Mishra doesn't.

yes all of them. mine/orb got errata'd since but in 1993 if you tapped someone's black vise it wouldn't damage you.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cactrot posted:

I think that's only because they kept the original text through reprints. Under the original rules, it would have shut off while tapped. Winter Orb was the same way until they changed it to not work while tapped with the EMA reprint.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cactrot posted:

Originally all of them did. Problem was, nobody remembered that rule, including the people making new cards. So they eliminated it, but errataed existing artifacts to specifically include the rule. Then, they decided functional errata was stupid and undid it...but some cards had gotten reprinted with the new text. So they kept the functional errata, the cards that hadn't been reprinted did not.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
i traded cards today for fblthp and a foil narset, so that's a couple of my target cards from this set down

(also got a Transmute Artifact as well so that's pretty nice)

(collecting is fun)

Jobert
May 21, 2007
Come On!
College Slice
Built a Feather Boros deck on Arena, it's crazy fun! Casting a handful of pump spells, defiant strikes and reckless rages just to get them all back at the end of town feels so good.

Any other cool new standard decks? I want to try the simic list a few posts above too

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

lol why is it on at 3pm

edit: oh it's on saturday. just do this poo poo as a weeknight you idiots. it's the time people like to passively watch stuff

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

:discourse:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
grats on the least readable deck image I've seen this year

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

maybe this is a better way to see it

https://twitter.com/Conley81/status/1122580966776528896?s=19

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

flatluigi posted:

grats on the least readable deck image I've seen this year

for real, is that supposed to be a parody?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hey I can only forward what I get. Martyrstorm, who would ever believe we'd see something so cool.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

One Belcher in the sideboard must be deece

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

vegetables posted:

I want “spells” to be replaced by a different word because it’s weird that creatures are spells, but I’m not sure a resonant word for “all cards” exists. In a weird way “summon” made this more intuitive; you can understand the creature card is also a spell instantly.

A planeswalker wizard dude like you casts spells, so it makes sense when creatures are spells because you do summon or cast them. They just got rid of the summon word because angry moms didn't want their kids to summon demons.

In other news, I went undefeated in my prerelease today and I love this limited format. Certain common spells feel so powerful and it feels great playing control.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man, that brings back memories, I went to a Catholic school and remembered when Magic was banned

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

This is a super cool brew imo

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Man, that brings back memories, I went to a Catholic school and remembered when Magic was banned

my parents made me throw away pokemon cards that specifically referenced psychics and evolution

it was an interesting childhood

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One of our friends in our playgroup wasnt allowed to play with black or red cards, so he'd trade them to us super favorably when we were teenagers

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Framboise posted:

my parents made me throw away pokemon cards that specifically referenced psychics and evolution

it was an interesting childhood

Well this set sure has a card for you
https://scryfall.com/card/war/159/evolution-sage

Edit: For me growing up, it was dungeons and dragons that was banned.
And we weren’t even religious :|

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Buffis posted:

Well this set sure has a card for you
https://scryfall.com/card/war/159/evolution-sage

Edit: For me growing up, it was dungeons and dragons that was banned.
And we weren’t even religious :|

Diablo for us.

And later, Diablo 2.

Less so the content and more because we were little pricks helplessly addicted to a video game

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

little munchkin posted:

lol why is it on at 3pm

edit: oh it's on saturday. just do this poo poo as a weeknight you idiots. it's the time people like to passively watch stuff

weeknight US means I'm in bed Uk. It's a pretty fair time to catch multiple timezones to be honest.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You are really making america sound loving insane

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Andrast posted:

we voted at least 2 people for president because we thought their acting personas were who they were for real. Reagan as some kind of cowboy, and trump as a hard-dealing businessman. we are insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Andrast posted:

I was allowed to play whatever I wanted because I had a sane mom FWIW.

It is completely insane though.