Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

YggiDee posted:

So I'm training up a wild horse I found in BOTW when I find one of those shrines where you can put down fruit for Koroks? Well I finish putting down apples, and when no Korok comes out I turn around and my horse is eating all the offerings behind me.

Also my favorite little things from Supergiant Games: whenever there's a vocal track, it's because someone, in-game, is explicitly singing to you. I was so loving pumped when the minstrel appeared in Pyre, not because he was a mystery guy previously in a coma, about to reveal Deep Plot poo poo. I was pumped because that Minstrel had a lute and I was about to be loving serenaded. Then when Celeste appears I knew I was in for a duet!

In Transistor there is a dedicated hum button. It has no practical application, but as long as you hold it down, Red will hum along to the background music. It’s cool, but it’s also a sad reminder of what she’s lost. She used to be a world-famous singer, but the Camerata took away her ability to speak or sing. Now she can only hum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
In Digimon World: Data Squad, there is a Salamon that keeps track of your in-game statistics and achievements. That's always super cute, but Yoshino mocks it when you first meet, calling it a "stalker". If you trade it 40 digi-eggs, it gives you a Holy Ring, allowing Yoshino's Digimon to become a Salamon itself. What a power move.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I liked Arkham Knight enough to play through again on the max difficulty straight away.

I can see myself enjoying Arkham Knight the most simply because people seem to dislike it so much. That's usually a good gauge for whether I'll enjoy any given game. It may be one of the few Triple A titles I need to keep an eye out for.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

GamesAreSupernice posted:

In Digimon World: Data Squad, there is a Salamon that keeps track of your in-game statistics and achievements. That's always super cute, but Yoshino mocks it when you first meet, calling it a "stalker". If you trade it 40 digi-eggs, it gives you a Holy Ring, allowing Yoshino's Digimon to become a Salamon itself. What a power move.

I can see myself enjoying Arkham Knight the most simply because people seem to dislike it so much. That's usually a good gauge for whether I'll enjoy any given game. It may be one of the few Triple A titles I need to keep an eye out for.

I mostly disliked it because I spent 60 bucks on it and it didn't work on my PC and I had to get a refund, so I assume that if they fixed that part it's a perfectly fun game.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I actually didn't mind the Batmobile stuff, though I gave up on getting all the achievements because no way in hell am I winning the races.

That said, after playing through Asylum again the combat is sorely lacking. I keep messing up combos trying to do stuff from muscle memory that isn't in the game yet. City and the latter games add a tonne of quality of life stuff as they go

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Don Gato posted:

I mostly disliked it because I spent 60 bucks on it and it didn't work on my PC and I had to get a refund, so I assume that if they fixed that part it's a perfectly fun game.

Yeah, I can't defend the fact that the game didn't work. That's one of the very few things I won't go to war over. If you buy a game, it should technically function properly.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Olaf The Stout posted:

City > Asylum > Origins > Knight for me.

Asylum is structured like a Metroid Game, with a series of interlocking levels and backtracking with new weapons-as-keys. City is structured like a Zelda game, with a large overworld and dungeons with one key-item per dungeon. Origins is a B-team effort with a copy-pasted world that is somehow worse and far more tedious to navigate and the combat is far more loose and sloppy than the previous titles, but has the benefit of having the best story. The best part of Knight is when the batmobile finally explodes in a cutscene, and the worst part is 12 seconds latter in the same cutscene when batman summons an identical pallet-swapped batmobile.

I could've made exactly this post, except in Origins, I didn't feel like combat was loose, but you really did have to alter your tactics from the previous games. I think the windows were just shorter for any action, and the enemies were a bit more aggressive. Like in Asylum and City, you could whip out your bat cape to get out of a jam with a huge window of opportunity, but that just doesn't work so well in Origins. The difference was so jarring and I hated it at first, but once I resigned myself to re-learning how to fight, it felt almost as tight as ever. I just say almost because the game was just glitchy everywhere when I played it - dunno what's fixed. Best story, you're right, and best bosses imo.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Playing MGSV again after a couple of years. I just knocked a guy out by air dropping a horse on him, this game is great :allears:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Captain Lavender posted:

I could've made exactly this post, except in Origins, I didn't feel like combat was loose, but you really did have to alter your tactics from the previous games. I think the windows were just shorter for any action, and the enemies were a bit more aggressive. Like in Asylum and City, you could whip out your bat cape to get out of a jam with a huge window of opportunity, but that just doesn't work so well in Origins. The difference was so jarring and I hated it at first, but once I resigned myself to re-learning how to fight, it felt almost as tight as ever. I just say almost because the game was just glitchy everywhere when I played it - dunno what's fixed. Best story, you're right, and best bosses imo.

I just couldn't accept the combat changes in origins. I loved the combat so much in City that I cleared all the combat room challenges, and then eventually bought the DLC that was an endless fight room with infinitely respawning enemies so I could thrash forever. You're totally right about several moves in Origins being nerfed and the timing windows on the finer points of combat being totally changed. I just never learned to flow nearly as well as City, and even in Knight I was way better at the combat than in Origins.

Best boss of the series is still Freeze for me, although saying it is Deathstroke is a totally respectable opinion.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Doublepost so uh

TheMostFrench posted:

Playing MGSV again after a couple of years. I just knocked a guy out by air dropping a horse on him, this game is great :allears:

Man i loved that mechanic. The first time I fought Quite in the sniper battle she kept doming me, but she never saw that resupply package about to land on her head until it was too late. .

The hosed up part of MGSV is there is no way to start a fresh game unless you delete your entire save file. You can back it up to a flash drive and save it that way, but my god why is extra hardware required for such a simple operation on a 7th generation console.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

packetmantis posted:

City turned me off with all the weird gross jokes they added and I haven't played any of them since. Shame, since Asylum was so good.

It's been a while since I played City, but I don't recall any particularly gross jokes.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Been a long time since I played it but probably referring to some of the crass stuff the random thugs say about what they'd do to the women, people have varying degrees of tolerance for that kinda material.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 09:48 on Apr 29, 2019

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
There's also a "joke" about Harley "having been a man."

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

It's been a while since I played City, but I don't recall any particularly gross jokes.

The random thugs called catwoman a bitch all the time to her face, that's the biggest one I can think of.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its like they're bad guys or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leal posted:

Its like they're bad guys or something.

Sure, and we wouldn't know that if they didn't say "bitch" all the time, because that's the only way that could possibly be communicated.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its ok for bad people to say bad things, cause then you punch them to make them stop. Its a great motivator.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tiggum posted:

Sure, and we wouldn't know that if they didn't say "bitch" all the time, because that's the only way that could possibly be communicated.

It’s one of the ways that it’s communicated

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Gonna chime in and say that, yeah, you should be able to have bad fictional people say bad things. If anything, the villains in the Arkham games are much kinder than actual bad people.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Leal posted:

Its ok for bad people to say bad things, cause then you punch them to make them stop. Its a great motivator.
That doesn't really come across in the game though. The player character doesn't react to the things the goons say and there is no link between those things and their eventual downfall. Even if an individual player specifically chooses to prioritise the enemies who say offensive things, the game will not react to that in any way. The thugs will not change their behaviour.

oldpainless posted:

It’s one of the ways that it’s communicated
Yes, you want the game's villains to say and do things that motivate the player to fight them. Point is, it was a specific and deliberate choice by the writers. They could have communicated the characters' hate/contempt for Catwoman in any number of other ways but they chose that one and it's reasonable to criticise them for that.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Gonna chime in and say that, yeah, you should be able to have bad fictional people say bad things. If anything, the villains in the Arkham games are much kinder than actual bad people.

I'm more or less in the same camp personally but yeah, I get why some people might feel more strongly about it.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
maybe the random things that the baddies yell in a bat man video game shouldnt be things that remind half the population about the systematic violence towards them. thank u for chiming in though

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's a proud tradition for women in comic book settings to get treated like crap.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

somepartsareme posted:

maybe the random things that the baddies yell in a bat man video game shouldnt be things that remind half the population about the systematic violence towards them. thank u for chiming in though

I mean personally the violence is more likely to remind me of systematic violence against me but here we are i guess.

People's tolerance levels are gonna vary on this though and if they really can't handle it thats ok. We all come from different backgrounds and sometimes you just can't handle that in your escapist fantasy right now or ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Been a long time since I played it but probably referring to some of the crass stuff the random thugs say about what they'd do to the women, people have varying degrees of tolerance for that kinda material.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

RagnarokAngel posted:

I mean personally the violence is more likely to remind me of systematic violence against me but here we are i guess.

i think women being called bitches is a more common occurrence than getting in character action style fights

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I said my piece, but I understand why other people may feel differently. As long as it makes sense in-universe, it's cool by me. If it's not cool by you, I'm not going to fight you to death over it, since we have a fundamental disagreement. No harsh feelings were intended or felt. I'm going to duck out before this becomes a huge derail, but I hope nobody ends up getting hurt over this.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like the important part of this to me would be the proportion of the sexist/otherwise realistically hateful dialog talking about the same person. If that comment about Harley is just one of many things the prisoners say about her, that's probably a little more digestible, especially if some of the other lines are quite respectful of her. It shows that it's not an opinion held by the developers or writers, it's just a view that exists in the world.

From what I recall, though, while there's respect among at least a few of the prisoners for Harley, their chatter about Catwoman is bad.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Harley does not get treated well by the series at all. The gameplay/setting/visuals are great in the Arkham games but the writing is pretty bad.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

That's how it is on these bitches of infinite earths.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Digimon Masters has a function that lets you hide the HUD to take better screenshots. I have taken 156 screenshots because of this feature. This is apparently a common things in MMOs, so I guess this "little thing" extends to any MMO with that feature, but it's especially nice in a game where I want to take pictures of my little monster pet thing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

"Hide UI" button should be standard in all video games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Kanfy posted:

"Hide UI" button should be standard in all video games.

I remember a lot of 3D platformers auto-hiding the HUD, and being manually recalled on demand via the L button or Z button or whatever.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Actually, DSFix for the PC version of Dark Souls (non-remastered) had a "take HUDless screenshot" -button and that should be standard in all video games.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Turning the HUD on and off manually is fine, but HUDs that fade out after a while are terrible. You shouldn't have to fire your gun or switch weapons to find out how much ammo you have left.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ariong posted:

In Transistor there is a dedicated hum button. It has no practical application, but as long as you hold it down, Red will hum along to the background music. It’s cool, but it’s also a sad reminder of what she’s lost. She used to be a world-famous singer, but the Camerata took away her ability to speak or sing. Now she can only hum.

By coincidence I just replayed Transistor and it's just as gorgeous visually and aurally as I remembered. There is one time the hum button does something, though- late in the game you arrive onstage at a theater where the audience is made of enemies. If you hum at this point, they will respond with something that resembles applause.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Digimon Masters has a function that lets you hide the HUD to take better screenshots. I have taken 156 screenshots because of this feature. This is apparently a common things in MMOs, so I guess this "little thing" extends to any MMO with that feature, but it's especially nice in a game where I want to take pictures of my little monster pet thing.

This is a common feature now for games that have photo modes. It's great!

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

I hope nobody ends up getting hurt over this.

...I didn’t think I’d be hurt, but I mistimed the cape-swish.

Working my way through the DLC for Bioshock Infinite. I didn’t expect to like Conflict in the Clouds as I’m not really into the “Waves of Enemies” thing but I’m really enjoying it!

I think it’s down to the rewards feeling worthwhile - Edwardian version of “Shiny Happy People”? Yes please!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dragon's Dogma affinity system can result in nearly anyone being a love interest. This leads to things like

and

E: Of course my waifu was the muscular, 7 foot tall bandit in the misandry bandits.

E2: VVV :getin:

Leal has a new favorite as of 21:00 on Apr 29, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I have not played Dragon's Dogma, but I do know it has a jester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUbLL3J0__o&t=143s

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Leal posted:

Dragon's Dogma affinity system can result in nearly anyone being a love interest. This leads to things like

and

E: Of course my waifu was the muscular, 7 foot tall bandit in the misandry bandits.

E2: VVV :getin:

Having a gay lover is actually pretty progressive for a Japanese RPG, even if it was already trying to be Western to start with.