Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That giant looked familiar...the one that died in the tunnel? Or outside with the mammoths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/alvinnaeg/status/1122740325246619648

https://twitter.com/aliciarocks/status/1122730101001596928

https://twitter.com/sparrow_pri_45/status/1122749348247269379

https://twitter.com/byby_fan/status/1122714714801233920

https://twitter.com/WhiskeyBad/status/1122673842407858177

https://twitter.com/WriterNarcia/status/1122670824304140288

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 30, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Some of you need to adjust your tv settings. I saw the battle completely fine on my 4K Vizio.

And getting rid of the Dothraki right away probably helped with the budget and logistics of shooting with a ton of horses.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

holocaust bloopers posted:

The flames of the Dothraki being snuffed out one by one was an incredible narrative choice to set up the episode.

super spooky. I mean, was that charge ordered or Dothraki gonna do as Dothraki do and they all got pumped up with the flames and took off of their own accord? As highlighted in the commentary, it all went to poo poo cause Khalessi couldn’t watch her people die and took off to help. Still not sure why they were at the front though

There’s a lot to nitpick, but like most plans during war, it went to poo poo fast. Am curious if Bran was doing something worthwhile while warging. Really wanted him to warg into Viserion. He took some ravens to see the night king on Viserion and then uh...?

The shot of the dragons above the clouds was dope.

Did Melisandre go off to die since she fulfilled and completed her path or? Was there any significance I missed to her using Syrios quote? Or just that it’s a saying in Bravos?

Also lol I don’t remember if Arya did that move before but otherwise nice copying that Jedi trick there

Suntan Boy posted:

I thought she bit it at least three times during the crypt scenes, but she's the rightmost of the survivor group at 1:19:00.

Yeah a bunch of women looking very similar to her get smoked and I also thought the same

Definitely recommend watching with subtitles. A lot is hard to discern.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 29, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Melisandre was there to fulfill her prophecy of ensuring Arya understood she was the one to kill NK. After that, she could die completing her role to whatever god she’s cool with.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Also lol I don’t remember if Arya did that move before but otherwise nice copying that Jedi trick there

They made a big deal showing her do that to Brienne last season

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Bran telegraphs it all happening too. There’s a gif of the scene where he looks up as Arya silently approaches past the white walkers when their hair moves.

He gave her the dagger last season. Bran knew the whole time.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

beanieson posted:

Lmao the Dothraki were amazingly useless

A) horse cavalrymen who had B) never been defeated and were C) never big on discipline in the first place. The miracle was that they waited as long as they did before turning themselves into human projectiles against an enemy who out-horded them.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I think I would have liked it better if Arya was able to get close enough to NK by wearing a face or something. I don’t care that she’s the one who killed him, just that her teleporting didn’t make any sense.

Show us dumb fun and the episode was enjoyable.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Game of Thrones is fun but go ahead and write 1000 word screeches about what you picked up from Rome: Total War II

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Who else laughed when Lyanna got swept aside? I mean, I knew she was going to die and I'm happy she went out like no bitch but I loving died. Someone produce a gif please.

My entire group broke out in laughter at that. And again when they showed it again in the after credits producer talk.

Bran's "I'll be going now" also got the same reaction.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Game of Thrones is fun but go ahead and write 1000 word screeches about what you picked up from Rome: Total War II

Seriously, this.

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of stuff they could have done better, but good lord, how does someone start to dissect realism and strategy/tactics (or lack thereof) in the very last season of this dumb show?

"They hosed up the battle of the bastards". If you think "they" hosed it up, go read the book where George RR Martin does even more ludicrous poo poo in that battle. The writers of the show toned it down for TV, because a ton of the stuff the dude wrote is so far beyond "over the top" that it's hard to put into words. The battle for Blackwater Bay had Tyrion pull up a giant loving submerged chain all across the bay to keep Stannis' ships trapped. Where's the 1000 word write-up on that being ludicrous because ships aren't agile enough to just spin like a top and moonwalk out of the bay. Where's the write-up on wildfire? Where's the write-up on the constant teleporting around of not just characters, but entire fleets and armies in the last 2 seasons that the show writers had to build in because they had to start wrapping up?

There are enough things to criticize the show writers over but not-smart generals and dubious tactics...in the last season of the show? Come on, son. Relax and enjoy the show, smoke some weed or something, idk.

If there's something that genuinely annoyed me about the show writers, it's how they massively hosed up the entirety of the Dorne storyline in season 5 (?), complete with comically lovely fight choreography and hilariously stupid lines. "You want the good girl, but you need a bad pussy" :lol:

I'll agree on the point of almost all of the main characters making it out of that episode unscathed, because that was some serious plot-armor bullshit, but hey, I'm like 100% certain that a whole bunch of audience favorites are gonna get popped before the show is over.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Well, actually

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

lol, thank you.

I saw the episode literally 20 minutes after seeing Endgame. Enjoyed it and it was fun, but it was certainly not the best episode or battle in the series.

Agreed that the quick cuts were a bit jarring at some points. My wife and I kept joking throughout Arya running around in the castle (endgame spoilers) "Wait, now who has the infinity stones and gauntlet?"

Also the last 20 minutes of the episode were dragged the gently caress out. Cool ending but I mean it didn't need the 6 and a half minutes of build up. Christ.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 29, 2019

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah all the fast cut transitions of people getting smoked got old fast

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Here's a headscratcher that I had: Didn't they repeatedly say that this was going to be the biggest battle in TV and film history?
When I kept hearing that I figured they'd be operating on technical terms like non-CGI, or most extras involved throughout shooting, or some other metric, to even compete, and I still enjoyed the heck out of the episode, but how was that even remotely close to the biggest battle in history?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Here's a headscratcher that I had: Didn't they repeatedly say that this was going to be the biggest battle in TV and film history?
When I kept hearing that I figured they'd be operating on technical terms like non-CGI, or most extras involved throughout shooting, or some other metric, to even compete, and I still enjoyed the heck out of the episode, but how was that even remotely close to the biggest battle in history?

I kept hearing that repeated all over the place but I can't say for sure the showrunners actually said it.

I mean if they did, they really oversold the episode.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, it would take a lot to top Gettysburg or Waterloo.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

And getting rid of the Dothraki right away probably helped with the budget and logistics of shooting with a ton of horses.

Then just have them dismounted behind the walls instead of writing like poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Madurai posted:

A) horse cavalrymen who had B) never been defeated and were C) never big on discipline in the first place. The miracle was that they waited as long as they did before turning themselves into human projectiles against an enemy who out-horded them.

It's not like misuse of cavalry is a rarity in history, either.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It was about 100 minutes long. I don't remember ever sitting through anything besides a documentary that went on like that. That most people weren't bored 15 minutes in is pretty drat impressive. Long battle scenes are tough to pull off for anyone.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 29, 2019

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Seriously, this.

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of stuff they could have done better, but good lord, how does someone start to dissect realism and strategy/tactics (or lack thereof) in the very last season of this dumb show?

"They hosed up the battle of the bastards". If you think "they" hosed it up, go read the book where George RR Martin does even more ludicrous poo poo in that battle. The writers of the show toned it down for TV, because a ton of the stuff the dude wrote is so far beyond "over the top" that it's hard to put into words. The battle for Blackwater Bay had Tyrion pull up a giant loving submerged chain all across the bay to keep Stannis' ships trapped. Where's the 1000 word write-up on that being ludicrous because ships aren't agile enough to just spin like a top and moonwalk out of the bay. Where's the write-up on wildfire? Where's the write-up on the constant teleporting around of not just characters, but entire fleets and armies in the last 2 seasons that the show writers had to build in because they had to start wrapping up?

There are enough things to criticize the show writers over but not-smart generals and dubious tactics...in the last season of the show? Come on, son. Relax and enjoy the show, smoke some weed or something, idk.

If there's something that genuinely annoyed me about the show writers, it's how they massively hosed up the entirety of the Dorne storyline in season 5 (?), complete with comically lovely fight choreography and hilariously stupid lines. "You want the good girl, but you need a bad pussy" :lol:

I'll agree on the point of almost all of the main characters making it out of that episode unscathed, because that was some serious plot-armor bullshit, but hey, I'm like 100% certain that a whole bunch of audience favorites are gonna get popped before the show is over.

Oh, I haven't just complained about this episode's writing, I've had gripes with the writing in the show for a while, I just never posted in the GIP threads. I just happen to have read a decent amount of military history, and I also love filmmaking and writing. With those combined interests, I see areas where, with better writing, they could have made the show better. They could have easily made some small changes here and there that would have made the battle more realistic, while also making it just as, if not more, suspenseful. Also, using lovely filmmaking techniques that amateur filmmaking Youtube video essayists know are bad is kind of unforgivable given HBO's budget and writing staff.

Whatever, I'm probably being insufferable, but I just wish they had a decent military historian consultant in the writers room.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Dorne's armies are largely untouched right?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Flikken posted:

Dorne's armies are largely untouched right?

Didn't they just straight-up sink the entirety of them off-screen when Euron (with his iron fleet of 1,000 ships that were created out of thin air) teleports onto Yara's fleet (that was like 100 ships but quadrupled in size over 2 episodes) after they were sent to pick up them up in Dorne?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I get all the gripes I just guess the show has been this way since the start so at season 8 it’s just business as usual

I mean, at least we have battles rather than handwaved scenarios and then cutting to the aftermath like all the Robb Stark battles

And yeah so is House Karstark done then? Don’t recall seeing them for a bit. Also Gendry was gone most that episode. Sam being Sam. Saw him getting his buddy killed a mile away. GOT sure loves the surprise sword through the back of the head

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Lando heard there’s a vacancy for the position of Night King. Qualifications: dark fur, eyes that look like they’re glowing, can bark loud enough to raise the dead.

I have to rewatch the episode because I fell asleep during several parts of it. Not because I was bored, but because I was so loving tired from being up at dawn, going on some big walks with Lando and also going mountain biking. The fact that the episode was so poorly lit didn’t help much with that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Seriously, this.

I don't remember the battle of the bastards actually being shown in the books, but then it's been almost a decade since I read it.

Right now I'm still hoping everyone dies and the ending leaves everyone mad.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Rat posted:

I don't remember the battle of the bastards actually being shown in the books, but then it's been almost a decade since I read it.

Right now I'm still hoping everyone dies and the ending leaves everyone mad.

It wasn't, I think he meant Blackwater.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's pretty clear when the shows writers took over and lost sight of the idea of no heros or honorable deaths. None of my boys died, and I think that's perhaps the worst possible outcome.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if GRRM just secretly calls it quits and decides to occasionally beat the drum about the books while never really intending to finish anything beyond the winds of winter, so he can have his legacy rest on the overwhelming popularity of the show, as well as "what could have been" in the books before kicking the bucket.

There are so many deviations from the books before the show even "properly" departed from the books around the end of season 4 (?). There's two additional Greyjoys that matter, Euron has some form of loving dragon remote-control, undead Catelyn Stark is roaming the lands, Rickon never dies, Robb's wife doesn't die at the Red Wedding (or something to that extent), Sansa was never wed to Ramsay, but instead some Doppelgänger, the Dornish are going to war and the Sandsnakes aren't a wet fart, etc.

And that's just off the top of my head.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

It's pretty clear when the shows writers took over and lost sight of the idea of no heros or honorable deaths. None of my boys died, and I think that's perhaps the worst possible outcome.

Same. Would've been more significant if some main characters died.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Genuinely, Jon should’ve died like four times. I’m tolerant of a lot of things but how can blue dragon fire now melt a waist-level stone wall?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nobody who died mattered. That and the choice to make it as dark as possible are my biggest issues. We should've lost at least one Stark/Lannister.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the show is wrapping up loose ends in ways the great GURM didn't have the balls to do in his books

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Was I the only one who thought Tyrion and Sansa were gonna commit suicide in the crypt? That’s moment where they’re hiding out and hearing all the carnage off screen, Sansa pulls out her dragon glass and I figured welp, this’ll be depressing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I thought Tyrion was going to die protecting her

Also is the actor that plays Varys too expensive for HBO now and they don’t want to pay him to say anymore words

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Not enough death. And as a big baby bitch who doesn't like scary movies, I was freaking out pretty much the whole time. The Dothraki getting it was creepy as hell. Also the tidal wave of corpses washing over their lines.

Now we just have a handful of episodes where Cersei gets to be a gigantic rear end in a top hat, and Dany gets to continue on her path towards insanity.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Is there any reason other than possibly budget/writers suck that GoT seems to have forgotten that the wights are more flammable than California?

Used to be that they'd go up like they were doused in gasoline if you put a flame to 'em.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

Is there any reason other than possibly budget/writers suck that GoT seems to have forgotten that the wights are more flammable than California?

Used to be that they'd go up like they were doused in gasoline if you put a flame to 'em.

That wasn't inside of the loving weird weather pattern thing the Night King generated, though

e: magic in our show with dragons fighting am army of the undead

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
More main characters should have died.

If I'm being honest I wanted the wights to win but that all of the people killed were orbital characters seems a bit light for GoT. I guess Daenerys losing her army is pretty big but I expected the long night to be a bit more dire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Kawasaki Nun posted:

More main characters should have died.

If I'm being honest I wanted the wights to win but that all of the people killed were orbital characters seems a bit light for GoT. I guess Daenerys losing her army is pretty big but I expected the long night to be a bit more dire.

I was kind of hoping she died. Would've made the episode more devastating, and opened Jon up for going for the Iron Throne. Would've been kind of cool if she died with Jorah.